I’ve Time Warped to the 80s and Beyond

My Wife Isn’t as Big on the Hot Chicks as I

Yesterday morning Beatrice headed out to do some class at the gym she’s a member of, just a few minutes away, in Los Gatos, CA. The class was cancelled and what she was previously informed about the imminent closure of the gym was incorrect. Not closing end of September, but end of August and all classes are cancelled.

She was referred to a different place and they had a deal. Initiation fee of about $600 waived entirely for new members coming from Anastasia’s. She went & checked it out. Came home and told me all about it. I was more than intrigued. I’ve retained my membership at San Jose Athletic Club for the last year since we moved away from downtown. I knew I’d be quitting soon, so this looked like a ripe opportunity.

This
This
And This
And This

Just a couple views of the Los Gatos Swim and Racquet Club, a family owned and operated concern since 1959. Workout facilities, three swimming pools and 13 tennis courts. Bea got her tour of the facility from Chris, a grandson of the founder. It was originally founded as a social club with a bar, banquet facilities, pool and other things to amuse and attract, back before America became a mass of worry warting, busy body, Oprah watching, FOX/CNN/MSMBC watching, hand wringing fat ass morons who have the audacity to actually vote to impose their whacked and warped idea of a “value” upon you.

Americans knew how to have fun and if it cost them a few years in longevity, they didn’t care much. Way back then, people actually had a sense of responsibility, took their chances and lumps and didn’t really think you had to pay for it. Now, America is principally noted for its feverish desire to work out a scheme for everyone to live at the expense of everyone else.

We went over, lounged in the sun, swam, I did a workout in the gym and having not done DLs in a while — like more than a month — did 135×5, 205×5, 255x5x2, and a few sets of leg presses on the machine at 360 and 400. The weight room equipment is far superior to my gym in every respect.

We filled out the paperworks, Chris the grandson came over to welcome us, and we’re all set. I did immediately notice that the place is right up against the 85 freeway and offhandedly mentioned to him that they were lucky they didn’t get taken out by Eminent Domain, as the place is far older. He smiled, then asked me if I had three hours. By the “wisdom” of the “Founding Fathers” and their precious Constitution — of no authority — they only lost three of the tennis courts they should have had indefinite right to, until disposed of in a manner consonant with their values.

But your values ruled, by force. They had no choice, after years of fighting and attorney fees, to merely protect their life’s work. But you get to get to work and home a little faster in the bee hive or ant hill of modern collectivized life. The cool thing is, you didn’t even have to go put a gun to their heads yourself. That’s the cool thing, see? You get to go into booths and vote for others to do your dirty work for you. And you’re far from ashamed. You’re proud of it. You wear stupid stickers on your lapel each time you exercise your “right” to subjugate yourself to the mob in symbolic action. A 1/300 millionth say in your own affairs. Be proud, America.

But to the subject, finally, the place is amazing in terms of the clientele. I spent three hours over there today as well (great WiFi). In two days I have seen exactly one women wearing a bikini who ought to be bared by law from doing so (yes, I might agree with a law or two – joke). Otherwise, it’s lean kids, lean adults, a bit of slight overweight here and there, and the Hot Chicks.

It was like laying on the beach in Europe or many other places, or America as late as the 1980s.

So there you have it.

1. Steve on July 21, 2011 at 18:13

Good ol’ Lysander Spooner, the red pill for statists.

• Richard Nikoley on July 21, 2011 at 18:21

I’m gonna steal that line, Steve.

• Bill J. on July 21, 2011 at 19:18

Well said, sir.

2. Amy Alkon on July 21, 2011 at 18:34

Great to see that you and I are not only in concert on evidence-based eating but on what are vile abuses of property rights.

• Richard Nikoley on July 21, 2011 at 18:58

Ha, I’ve had no doubt about your number for a long time, Amy.

I’m glad our mutual friend Mike Eades clued me into you. I love your relentless character. You go, hot chick. 🙂

• gharkness on July 22, 2011 at 05:11

I’m gonna chime right in here, because I love all things Amy and Dr. Eades (which makes me feel like this is an appropriate place to make this comment).

You said:

“A 1/300 millionth say in your own affairs. Be proud, America.”

And if ONE MORE person tells me that I have no right to complain if I don’t vote, I am likely to be put in prison for murder……YES, I DO have the right to complain WHEN (not if) I see government enriching itself on my efforts. Come to think about it, though….is government capable of doing ANYthing else?

• Richard Nikoley on July 22, 2011 at 09:07

I was saying that if you vote you have no right to complain long before I heard George Carlin say it.

3. K on July 21, 2011 at 19:06

I’m sure those tennis courts were collectivized for the greater good, right? The State-worshiping flag-humpers do love to pretend that magic documents grant them the ability to perform moral alchemy and act like blatant dick-knuckles while seizing other people’s belongings for their illogical notions of State. But, I digress.

If that place reminds you of the 80’s, I hope you dressed accordingly. And by dressed accordingly, I mean big-ass Raybans.

• Richard Nikoley on July 21, 2011 at 20:02

I inded owned a pair of balck ones, circa ’84. Actuallly, I just looked at a bunch of pics from college early 80s and there I was with my Wayfarers.

• Alexander Krivács Schrøder on July 22, 2011 at 02:54

The very right to owning property is also an artefact of law, just as much as the government’s right to take it back “for the greater good” is. What gives you the right to own a patch of land more than I? Just cause you (or your ancestors) were there first? Pfft. The only reason we’re allowed to own property, and that our property is protected is because the government in the country in which we live has said that’s the way it is. If it weren’t for that legal protection, how else could you even make a claim to own that property in the first place? What exactly, if no government was there with its police force and laws, would prevent any old Joe and his gang of thugs from just walking up to your so-called property and saying something along the lines of “Our guns are bigger, better, and have better range than yours. This is now our property. If you don’t like it, we’ll kill ya. Now leave.”? Nothing, that’s what.

• K on July 22, 2011 at 04:23

“The very right to owning property is also an artefact of law…”

False premise, and an incredibly narrow view of property.

“What gives you the right to own a patch of land more than I?”

Usage gives me the right.

“What exactly, if no government was there with its police force and laws, would prevent any old Joe and his gang of thugs from just walking up to your so-called property and saying something along the lines of “Our guns are bigger, better, and have better range than yours.”

Nice Argument from Catastrophe. Oh Noes! There are miles of assumptions buried in this statement. Apparently, you believe that no order exists without State. This is objectively false. But, keep clinging to your Statist faith and ignorance of history.

And to unpack that statement even further; Old Joe and his gang of thugs do that all the time. Its called Eminent Domain, and they use their “bigger, better” guns to do it. But, we should watch out for those other thugs, right?

• Alexander Krivács Schrøder on July 22, 2011 at 04:42

Personally, I would like it if the world were (presumably) like in hunter-gatherer times, where nobody owned anything, and everything was shared. (Yes, this is probably an overly romanticized view of hunter-gatherers) I agree with Jared Diamond, that agriculture (although more precisely its child, “civilization”) was “The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race”.

Usage gives you the right? No rights are inherent. The only reason any rights exist is because we collectively agree upon them. Or, to be a little more cynical, because the majority of people agree upon them. If you think usage gives you the right to a plot of land, but nobody else agrees with you, then I doubt your claim over that land would fall to deaf ears.

I like the idea of anarchy, but you are right, I don’t believe it would work well in practice. The human race has strayed too far away from our original hunter-gatherer societies, and fear and ignorance will keep people wanting governments and states, right down to the moment these very governments and states kill the people who want them there. China and North-Korea are still dictatorships, and it’s probably not because the people who live there want it that way.

I think an ideal government would be one driven in such a way that no more than about 100-150 people are affected by its decisions, and furthermore that only those 100-150 people (who, naturally, chose to live together because they like each other, or have common interests or whatever) were to make decisions within this society. Just because I want it that way doesn’t mean it’s ever going to be that way, though.

As for eminent domain, such a clause makes sense the way society is. How else could civilization expand and improve without forcing individual sacrifices underway? Again, I think the whole idea of civilization is crap, but that doesn’t change that it’s here.

• K on July 22, 2011 at 08:20

“No rights are inherent.”

This is your opinion. And the basis for your philosophy. But, I obviously disagree with collectivist notions of rights. Furthermore, I believe it to be the root of most of the Statist war-monger body-counts that have plagued this planet. Is the right to your own body a collective right? Do you own yourself? Or does the State?

“If you think usage gives you the right to a plot of land, but nobody else agrees with you, then I doubt your claim over that land would fall to deaf ears.”

This is irrelevant to the existence of the right; only the application.

“…but you are right, I don’t believe it would work well in practice.”. I don’t see this anywhere. Did someone erase their own comment?

• Richard Nikoley on July 22, 2011 at 08:54

The argument for natural rights is a simple one.

First, there’s only one right, the right to one’s life, all others are derivative of that, i.e., if you have a right to your life, then by your very nature you have rights to certain things that are necessary to live — though not at the expense of anyone else and that logically conflicts with their same right.

The reason you have a natural right to your life is because the human condition is such that by nature, you do not pursue the values necessary to sustain your life by hard wired instinct but by choice. That is, you have to decide to get up off your ass and do it, or you can default or, you can eat a bullet. The human is the only animal we know of that can consciously commit suicide.

Therefore, the human animal has a choice as to whether to pursue life or not, this choice is by his nature, it’s a natural choice and a natural choice by nature equates to a natural right to choose.

• Richard Nikoley on July 22, 2011 at 04:43

Alexander

You need to brush up on history, man. I’d suggest looking elsewhere that your state indoctrination via state textbooks.

Laf.

4. G on July 21, 2011 at 20:04

I live in LG, and the hot chicks are everywhere.

Los Gatos is a very affluent area, and affluent men tend to find (and mate with) attractive women. And then magically, attractive offspring are born. I went to high school here. It was great.

• Peggy The Primal Parent on July 22, 2011 at 06:05

I used to live in Los Gatos under all those terms, so yeah… 🙂

5. Sean on July 22, 2011 at 01:28

Actually, there are plenty of fatties on European beaches these days (like me, for instance). When we were in Croatia a few weeks back my 39-year-old wife was the hottest chick on the beach. Of course, they aren’t typically orca-fat like in the States but depressingly few hardbodies other than my beloved spouse.

• Paul on July 22, 2011 at 03:00

Where have you been in Croatia? I can only remember the hot chicks and there ware plenty of them! East-European Girls are the hottest anyway.

• Sean on July 22, 2011 at 03:31

We were in Rab. And most of the tourists were Germans and Austrians. I might’ve been the only native English speaker on the island. Eastern European women are definitely hot, but I’d say that Croats and Serbs are on the low end of that spectrum. But they were very friendly. Night and day compared to the Czechs.

6. Peggy The Primal Parent on July 22, 2011 at 06:04

I moved away from downtown San Jose about a year ago. Lived one block from the San Jose Athletic Club and had a membership there for a couple of years. Their outdoor pool was a little oasis in that shit hole! Maybe we ran into each other before…

• Richard Nikoley on July 22, 2011 at 09:11

It’s possible, Peggy, though I can’t recall very many good looking women at that club and that _certainly_ doesn’t apply to you. I think I’d definitely have noticed you if I’d seen you.

We lived over in the lofts at 350 N 2nd, right next to the RR tracks. Now we’re in LG in a house with a yard and love it.

7. Peggy The Primal Parent on July 22, 2011 at 09:25

So true! I spent a lot of time in the women’s locker room averting my eyes.

I lived at 295 N 3rd. I must have walked right by your lofts each day on my way to work. How funny. I had lived in a house in Los Gatos with a yard years ago, before my husband and I divorced. LG is a peaceful little place and there are so many places to go hiking nearby! Ooh, I miss California.

8. […] 25th, 2011 · No Comments · Paleo Eating, Principles TweetSitting by the pool at The Los Gatos Swim & Racquet Club enjoying the sun, the cool water, people of all age and gender who look like a human animal ought […]