Looming Mid-Life Crisis: Bruised But Not Confused

Why can’t I just act my age?

There really is no doubt or dispute about the fact that I’m not out there currently tearing apart every stupid flawed study, calling Bullshit on most of the health and dietary advice being passed off as conventional wisdom by the regurgitators in the media, or many other of the things a “paleo blogger is supposed to be doing.””

Instead, my arms are covered in bruises because I just can’t seem to act my age or take up and steward the “responsibility” so graciously bestowed upon me by my readers.

Bruised
Bruised

This, of course, from three straight days of this, and this. After landing the third day, the tendons of my upper forearm and lower bicep were so inflamed I was doubled over in pain and had to pop some ibuprofen, which kicked it almost immediately. Dad and Bea helped with getting the glider torn down, packed up and tied down on the car for the 6 hour drive home the next morning.

Got this comment from “Tony T” on my last post.

Good riddance man. Your posts are a mockery and you have slowly eroded your position as one of the best paleo bloggers. I am dropping you from the blogroll and have indicated that others do the same. You have not catered to your audience, and you proudly said “Fuck them” if they don’t like your stuff. Well, guess what? You did have a responsibility to tell us if you were going to segue into crude posts about pussy that have nothing to do with paleo living and everything to do with your looming mid-life crisis. All crass, no class. Goodbye.

My first thought, immediately after lamenting the realization that ‘pussy has nothing to do with paleo,’ was that it’s kinda pointless to announce a segue ahead of time. “Attention: segue coming right up.” But yea, I’m apparently just one slippery slope away from a red convertible Corvette, silk shirt unbuttoned to my navel, fake chest hair, oversized gold chain-link bracelet & necklace, fancy watch, big rings and a 20-yr-old blond with long straight hair and big tits.

No idea who it is though. While he seemed to feel compelled to post this comment, a search by name, email and IP address going back to 2006 brought up no other comments from him. I guess I’ll just have to trust that there’s a “blogroll” out there of some import that used to have my name on it and no longer does.

Truth be told, I’m rather surprised I haven’t received more comments along these lines. It’s not really that I want to disappoint readers, it’s just that this is a personal blog and after 3,000 posts since 2003, the only way I’ll stay in the game with this long term is to only, ever blog what I am passionate, excited, pissed off about or otherwise have some deep emotional attachment to. I think a lot of bloggers give this up after a time because either they are too personal in terms of minutiae and nobody cares, or they pretend like they’re some media outlet and ultimately nobody cares because there’s a shitload of that already and you really can’t compete. What you have to do is strike a balance by putting your own spin on anything relevant, exciting, or even disgusting within some semblance of a theme. Well, enough on that. Sentiments are what they are and while I have probably let a lot slide by not keeping up the paleo end regularly, I’m pretty satisfied with what I’m doing and I’m pretty grateful to be able to muster putting up a blog post at all.

The last few months have been a whirlwind of activity, from moving my employees out of the office we’ve had for 10 years and into a work-from-home environment with all the tech — including a hosted PBX and IP phones and hosting our client database at a rack space place — so that no one even knows, to 10 days up at the cabin turning it into a vacation rental, and then getting bruised and abused flying hang gliders at a place I love and was my 14th annul year of flying into this valley from the Hat Creek Rim.

Launch
Launch
Red Barns
Red Barns

Now Beatrice & I are in the process of building a unique tutoring company that uses college students to tutor grade school students — something my wife has done very successfully on an informal basis for years, using her nieces & nephews and their friends in college.

And there are other things in the mix as well, including a few writing projects.

But in spite of all the work & play, all the travel, exhaustion, stress and so on, we’ve managed to still eat pretty well most of the time.

Steak Worchestershire Reduction
Steak & Worcestershire Reduction
Pile of Ribeyes
Pile of Ribeyes
Curried Beef Pork Lamb
Curried Beef, Pork & Lamb
Eggs Rice
Eggs & Rice
Eggs Over Curry Rice
Eggs Over Curry & Rice

In other lifestyle, health & fitness areas, my neck & shoulder pain returned with full force & vengeance the day after I cleaned all the ceiling fans and lights overhead at the cabin. Whether this is really John Sarno’s Tension Myositis Syndrome, something wholly physical, or some combination I just don’t know. Not letting it get under my skin too badly seemed to help a lot the first few days. I ordered up a 5-day regimen of oral steroids from the doc and that also helped, as did a heating pad, the occasional ibuprofen, and scotch.

Haven’t been to the gym in weeks but feel fine about that. Between the yard cleanup at the cabin, torching and managing 18 burn piles, all the cleanup inside and then the hang gliding trip, I actually feel more naturally fit.

Intermittent fasting has become more intermittent that ever, never planned or programmed and I like it that way best. For instance, I was hungry enough to eat around 10am this morning but was writing this post and so here I am at noon and still haven’t had a single bite since about 8pm last night.

And I’m trying to do more and more of my work on my feet outside, especially writing.

Stand Up
Stand Up

I actually do have a diet related post I’m drafting, which is about low carb and how Gary Taubes is so grossly misunderstood by all of his detractors, and why I think he’s so much smarter than them on this issue and and just may eventually put them all in short pants.

1. Dale LINN on July 13, 2011 at 12:27

Bruises: try Bromaline … an Extract made from pineapple stems and roots; it is Excellent for healing bruises . Boxers use it . I used it after surgery and Heal Time was greatly reduced .

on Writing…. you got to Write what you Feel . I like your work .

• Dave, RN on July 14, 2011 at 10:25

Bruises take 2: Try Traumeel. It’s great for whatever is sore and overused as well as bruises. Try it and you’ll never be without it. Good homeopathic stuff from Germany. You can get it off of Amazon.

• Theresa on July 17, 2011 at 08:33

I second that, Dave – Traumeel is amazing stuff. My 17yo son uses it all the time for various soccer related injuries. We found a king-sized tube of it at Whole Foods. And Richard, it’s your blog – do what makes YOU happy.

2. Beth on July 13, 2011 at 12:27

FWIW, I totally disagree with Tony T. Post whatever you want, it’s your blog. 😉

And I still read it too.

Beth

• Ned Kock on July 15, 2011 at 08:46

Echoing Beth here. You are frank about all issues, something that is very rare to find these days. This makes you unique Richard, and highly appreciated by many, including me.

• Richard Nikoley on July 15, 2011 at 09:04

It’s guys like you, Stephan, Peter, Masterjohn, Harris and others that make it possible to do things the way I do. Plenty of cold analysis of the science & data out there already, so I get to have fun.

3. Jules on July 13, 2011 at 12:30

Rice, oh noes! I am so taking you off my blogroll! (Yes, my blog had a whole 23 views yesterday) Anyhoo, I love the outdoors standing desk and the pile of ribeyes, mmmm!

4. Eric on July 13, 2011 at 12:30

Awesome! Keep doing what you do, I appreciate the break from the Paleo drum-beating every once in a while, especially now that it’s gotten so popular. Eat whole foods & eat less of it. That’s what I keep telling myself!

5. mem on July 13, 2011 at 12:37

I look forward to the Taubes post and agree with your brief assessment of him/his work.

• Reid on July 14, 2011 at 09:59

I look forward to this post as well Richard. Taubes has been getting a lot of heat from various bloggers and it will be interesting to hear your take.

Enjoyed this post very much by the way. I’ll definitely keep checking in here regardless of how often you post.

6. Christian on July 13, 2011 at 12:37

Sounds like Tony T just wanted an apology to feel special. This is your blog which we take from while giving back pretty much nothing. Whenever someone talks about “responsibility” or “obligation” without any explanation or understanding of how responsibilities and obligations are created, it signals to me they think they deserve something for nothing or somehow have a claim on those around them. “Fuck them” is the appropriate response.

7. Susan Morgan on July 13, 2011 at 12:45

Standing desk! Off my blogroll! How is that paleo? You should be using a stump! Seriously, isn’t a worthy goal in life to be less high-strung about stupid stuff? If I don’t like what the tubes are providing, I don’t read. Easy-peasy. No dressing down or insulting needed. Bad for the karma. I like interesting writing. You often provide that.

8. EF (not Hutton) on July 13, 2011 at 13:22

People need to calm down about being paleo; Being obsessed with paleo is not paleo.

I found your blog through my low carb lifestyle. Since finding it, I’ve learned to love all your writings and I admire your renegade attitude and spirit regarding LIFE in general. Your musings, whether paleo or not, are always fresh and real and will have me coming back for more. As George Carlin once said — question everything. You do that and I love it.

Keep up the great work.

9. Anthony on July 13, 2011 at 13:31

I seriously like these new posts. They inspired me to tweet on Mon after reading the hang gliding post, “Live a life that people would want to read about (or even better, write about).” That’s really what it comes down to. Thanks for the inspiration. As long as you’re passionate about what you’re writing, it will come through and I’ll keep reading!!

10. Chris Highcock on July 13, 2011 at 13:38

how dare he criticise you for blogging what you like on your blog! The guy has a damn cheek.

you are a normal guy – write what you like

11. David Csonka on July 13, 2011 at 13:41

Besides living shamelessly, also live unapologetically. Richard, you seem to do both quite well. Kudos

12. Alan Beall on July 13, 2011 at 13:51

One of the reasons I want to lose weight and get in shape is to paraglide, so I watched your vids with great pleasure and admiration. I’m down from 312 to 237 in 15 months, although I’m a little stalled. Hopefully, by this time next year, I will be thin, strong, and agile enough to do whatever I want to do. Thanks for your many posts that have helped along the way.

13. Lori on July 13, 2011 at 13:54

It’s your blog, write whatever the hell you want to. I enjoy reading whatever it is you have to say!

Keep doin’ what you’re doin’…

14. freeagent on July 13, 2011 at 13:56

Get your head out your arse Tony T. Paleo is the vehicle to help us live our life, not the life we live.
    Rich I’m just glad your blogging its always interesting, even if a little less frequent at this time.

15. Rosemary on July 13, 2011 at 14:31

Good to see you ever-so-slowly moving away from the whole paleo thing. At least you’re doing it with far more grace than some (Girl Gone Primal, anyone?). I’ve seen this coming on for a while; the typical lifespan of any fad diet – and LC/paleo is no different – is limited by design. People discover it; get passionate about it (and start blogs); and then – eventually – crash and burn (out). Just peruse any of the LC forums out there. It was pretty clear something was happening when Kurt Harris began to equivocate – if not outright reverse himself – on a number of things – “no such thing as macronutrient”, his posts on “orthorexia” and eating Rice Krispies, etc. Hooray for intellectual honesty… The only exception to this rule seems to be people like Jimmy Moore and Dana Carpender and Charles Washington – True Believers who are so invested in their dietary worldview (financially and otherwise) that any deviation or questioning would simply be unthinkable. But I do applaud your evolution; people who complain simply don’t get it – and need to get a life, in point of fact.

• Richard Nikoley on July 13, 2011 at 14:47

I’ll buy that, Rosemary.

While I’ll likely always consider myself somewhat of a “Paleo blogger,” I wish to do so from a far wider perspective that is really just a “wild human animal” approach to life in all its facets. Food wise, just eat real food most of the time. It’s not a hard concept.

In the end, it’s the Real Life of a Human Animal that ought to drive everything else, and that includes food. So I’m going to mostly focus on selling that.

And I’m going to do it without setting out to specifically dis Paleo or LC.

• Sean on July 14, 2011 at 00:41

I strongly disagree that LC/paleo/primal is a “fad diet”. In fact, I’m off to write a post about how much I disagree with it. So thanks for that…

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2011 at 01:46

It’s somewhat characteristic of faddishness in it’s implementation and promotion by fans.

The principles are sound. One hopes they endure.

• Sean on July 14, 2011 at 02:57

True.

The principles will endure in some manner unless human biochemistry (and science in general) decides to take another giant step backwards and permanently stay there.

The truth will out.

• Sean on July 14, 2011 at 05:43

The science of human biochemistry, I mean. Human biochemistry itself will do whatever it wants…

16. keith on July 13, 2011 at 14:48

I no longer read this blog for paleo advice because I’ve been around long enough to no longer need paleo advice. I’m all growed-up. I read it because its like reading the words of an old friend that shares my world view in both diet and (anti)-politics. Its where I got started, and I’ll probably be here ’til the end.

• anand srivastava on July 14, 2011 at 01:15

I agree completely. It was also here that I started. I haven’t been coming here for diet advice for a long time. Richard is entertaining most of the time, even if there is not much info. I do like the transformation posts he gives and discussion of their problems. There hasn’t been much for long, but with a feed it comes to you when it is there, no checking out everyday.

Richard Keep Living, and sharing.

17. Dexter on July 13, 2011 at 14:53

Actually Richard, I like you being rude, argumentative, and arrogant. It shows you are passionate.
    If you are going to be an asshole, be a perfect one…which you are.

18. Michael P (@PizSez) on July 13, 2011 at 14:59

On the whole “what you’re supposed to blog” thing:

It’s really simple. Blog whatever you want, whenever you want. I subscribed to FTA a few years ago when I started learning about Paleo. I also subscribed to a crapload of other paleo blogs, and another crapload of blogs for my other interests. So I have at least two full craploads of blogs I wade through. I add more all the time.

Guess what I do? When I see a blog post title I’m not interested in, I mark the post as read in my RSS reader and move on. Sometimes I can’t tell from the title, so I start reading the post. Sometimes I finish, sometimes I don’t.

Duh-urrr.

I do unsubscribe from blogs I get no value from, whether they started out valuable to me or not, but I don’t waste my time and energy whining that the blogger isn’t writing what I want. What the hell would be the point of that?

Sure, I would like to see more paleo stuff here than there has been lately. I would also like to fuck Scarlett Johansson. Guess what? Neither is my call.

Is the recent trend a detour or a complete course change? I have no idea, and I don’t give a damn, since (1) time will tell and (2) you don’t owe me anything. I’ll read what I want and skip what I don’t, and we’ll both get on with the business of enjoying our lives the best ways we choose.

My guess, Richard, is that you pretty much agree with all that.

• Richard Nikoley on July 13, 2011 at 15:02

Yep, proving that you do pay attention to what I write, most of the time.

19. Angelyne on July 13, 2011 at 15:03

I’m looking forward to that Gary Taubes post. I’m a bit of a fan girl.

Also I wanted to have a post on record for you to search for when I’ll blow a gasket, insult you, shit over your blog and leave slamming the door behind me. 😉

20. Gabe on July 13, 2011 at 15:46

The older I get (a month shy of 30 so not sure that clause means much!) the more comfortable I am with making shit up as I go along. Sometimes there is a plan, sometimes not, but generally speaking, I say carefully chosen principles good, rigid structure bad. Of course, I only copied this approach from the many folks I look up to who have figured out who they are and don’t need a predictable format to enhance the richness of their lives and those around them.

FTA has been a wealth of lifestyle information in the context of a personal journey and ruthless self-experimentation, and the recent change in (or lack) of direction has a very natural feel to it. This is what’s happening for you at this moment in time. Simple as that. Now that is what I call evolutionary. If someone who needs human experience spoon-fed to him every step of the way gets offended, well, sometimes you have to cull the herd.

21. Grok on July 13, 2011 at 16:01

Not enough rice on your plates. I’m taking out out of my feed reader. Wait… I don’t use one. Write whatever the hell you want. Can’t please everyone. Every time I post about a carb, my subscriptions drop like flies. Brings a smile to my face and then laughter 🙂

May be moderately boring to read and watch, but hang gliding is sick.

22. Bill Strahan on July 13, 2011 at 18:55

Bah! I figured the paleonazis would eventually start squealing. I can’t believe that Tony T didn’t point out that flying itself isn’t paleo. It’s a neolithic device to allow man to do what he can’t naturally do.

That said, keep flying! I’m a strict paleo eater, but some people forget the reason for being healthy is to provide the foundation for the expression of your life! It’s not the end, it’s a means to an end.

I eat the way I eat and I exercise the way I exercise because it enables everything else. Great sex, looking good in or out of clothes, fitting in my airplane, staying competitive with my boys…those are the payoffs and food and exercise is the investment.

To just make the investment without realizing the payoff would be like investing all your money and never spending any. That’s stupid!

• Richard Nikoley on July 13, 2011 at 19:02

You can’t fool me, Bill. It’s all about payload. Shit, you’re probably already getting an extra 300 miles on allotted fuel load. 🙂

• Bill Strahan on July 13, 2011 at 19:09

Okay, I can’t fool you. I’ll be crass, if it’s still allowed on this blog: I’m a guy with a very hot wife. I stay in shape because it’s all about one cockpit or the other. Honesty requires I mention I can stay in the airplane longer…but come on, it carries 5 hours of fuel!

23. Bill Strahan on July 13, 2011 at 19:06

Doh! I forgot to recommend the book: Fly Fast Sin Boldly by William P. Lear, Jr. I think you have a kindred spirit to the guy, and would love the book. It’s not all about flying, trust me, and everyone I’ve gotten to read it loved it. 5 stars on Amazon. If you read it, tell me you don’t see a little bit of yourself in the book.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2011 at 11:45

Appears it’s out of print and cheapest it can be had is about 60-70 bucks. I’ll save it and see if a deal comes up.

24. Gina on July 13, 2011 at 19:16

People who announce that they are quitting a forum or blog are extremely lame drama queens. Fuck ’em.

I’m interested in what service you found for Business Voip. If you have time could you email me the info? That is, if you like the system.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2011 at 12:13

Gina:

I’m using VirtualPBX. In the office, I had Altigen for well over 10 years, going back to my even older offices. Very reliable and we used in house VOIP for years for select remote employees (and remote desktop for DB access). What I didn’t know when I contracted with them is that IP phones are a bit new for them. Basically, they used an “accept call” model where you could use any phone, but you would have to answer and accept, else it would try the next number in the queue. Now, IP phones and even soft IP phones (have soft ip phone apps on my Mac and iPhone and they work!) are part of the mix so any employee can have a mix of ip, landline, or cell phones in their contact matrix and it all works.

Check it out.

• Gina on July 14, 2011 at 12:41

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

For your bruises, put some epsom salts in a warm bath and soak.

25. jonw on July 13, 2011 at 21:05

“fake chest hair” Is that a thing?

And, pictures of rice? ZOMGWTFBBQ!

Rich, You write what you want, I’ll read what I want. I’ve already gotten more than my money’s worth out of your blog so I figure it’s been a good deal.

• Brahnamin on July 13, 2011 at 21:55

Yes. Fake chest hair is a thing. Or it was in the 1970s.

Sadly, I’m actually old enough to remember the guy he’s describing.

26. Brahnamin on July 13, 2011 at 21:52

Yeah, jumping off cliffs with nylon wings and a polymer frame strapped to your @ss is sooooo not paleo.

Grok used wicker wings, you big hack. 😉

Dude, it’s awesome that you put your life before your blog. Anything less would be the very definition of lame. And you are dead on right about writing about what you are passionate about. It is what has made your blog so unapologetically ROCK the entire time I’ve been reading you (about 3 years now, I think).

Looking forward to the Taubes piece. His writing style drives worms into my brain, but I learned a lot fighting through GCBC and WWGF and I wish what he was saying had a better chance of being understood/accepted.

27. Marc on July 14, 2011 at 03:16

Richard,

Been here from the early days. I still put up my silly cooking pics…as a general reminder for people that are interested (not many LOL) to eat REAL FOOD. (going on 5 years). That’s the message…just friggin cook for yourself/family. That simple act will change your wel being dramatically. As to intermittent fasting…there are even days where I eat a large meal around noon and won’t eat again till the following day around 4 pm. It’s all over the place. I eat when I feel like it. I go through weeks of eating little meals and weeks of stuffing my face.
    Glad your sharing your approach to life…those that are interested will keep reading….those that want to argue will keep reading….mst others will fade away.

Lately Ive been holding on to the follwoing mantra “would you rather be right…or happy?”

Marc

• Chris Highcock on July 14, 2011 at 13:39

Marc – I am interested! I think your blog is fantastic, not just for the food but the philosophy too.

By the way I’ve been around this blog so long that in my RSS reader it is still called HonestyLog!

28. skitterling on July 14, 2011 at 05:21

Well damn, Richard, if you’re no longer going to lead us around by the hand, spoonfeed us, and wipe our asses for us, well then, you’re going off my bogroll…er…blogroll…

Now that I no longer have your guiding light to steer my life by, I guess it’s right back to the chocolate peanut butter ice cream and barbeque potato chips, insulin, and metric crap-ton of prescriptions.

/sarcasm for anyone who had trouble with that, you loser trolls.

29. Jeff on July 14, 2011 at 06:30

Richard,

Where did you get that standing desk? I’m looking for one like that for work. And keep up writing about what you’re passionate about. That makes for good writing.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2011 at 09:31

It’s actually one of those computer desks with wheels and I have one of those portable & foldable podiums sitting on top. Perfect height.

30. Carol on July 14, 2011 at 06:52

First time here and love the posts already. I”ll be back!

31. Kevin Hughes on July 14, 2011 at 07:52

You will recall my pointing out the missing donation button on your blog. It seems I’ve also missed your pussy posts. Kindly place a pussy button in a conspicuous location so I don’t miss any more.

32. Ben on July 14, 2011 at 08:26

You’re a good writer, and the only thing that would get me to stop reading your blog is you turning vegan. I like the posts were you are pissed off most. I sometimes skip over the others. But I don’t want you to be pissed off, don’t get me wrong.
    Also, how is pussy not related to paleo? Everything is related to pussy. Pussy must have been, like, half of paleomans life, the other parts being hunting, eating, sleeping.
    Also, the first paleoman to construct wings and fly around, he would’ve been a superstar in his tribe.

33. ChrisO on July 14, 2011 at 09:17

why stop at one 20 year old blonde? keep up the great work!!

34. Rikke on July 14, 2011 at 09:28

Haha, about the bruises, you had me thinking you’d gone paint balling! I wouldn’t be surprised if you did!

35. Jasen on July 14, 2011 at 15:45

Tony T. needs to go to his local pharmacy and buy some fucking Vagisil. Richard I love your blog and I enjoy your postings be it Paleo or other stuff.

36. Dedrick on July 14, 2011 at 18:20

You have been taken off the official blogroll ever since you were destroyed by the banana eater in that debacle of a debate. I don’t see you earning your way back on.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2011 at 19:23

Everyone is entitled to his own delusion, Dedrick.

37. Ryan on July 15, 2011 at 11:39

I only come here for the food porn. You posted a recipe for sauces here:

I followed your suggestions for modifying the sauce for chicken. It was delicious. I have to eat a lot of meat. These sauces make it much easier. Could you do a detailed post on sauces in the future. I know you like to wing it but could you help out us non-cooks?

38. Peggy the Primal Parent on July 16, 2011 at 06:35

I feel for the dude that wrote that comment. Sounds like he has a hard time letting people be themselves. Surprised he ever liked you at all!

I can’t say I’ve been hugely interested in your last couple of posts – especially the pictures of rice! Eating too much of that would bring on a lot of old aches and pains – but anyway, it’s your business. You’re not a mahine.

So take care of yourself, Richard, and have a good time doing it, regardless of whether or not you come bak to the blog. You’ve offered a lot to the paleo blogoshpere thus far, I think you’ve earned a midlife crisis of sorts.

• Richard Nikoley on July 16, 2011 at 08:48

On rice, I think a lot of folks will end up being surprised at how modest helpings of white rice might help them along. It’s pretty hypoallergenic, basically just starch. Not loaded with lectins. But at any rate, pics I put up don’t necessarily reflect the overal macro ratio of how I eat. I’m just as likely to have a VLC day as a moderate carb day of 100-150g. I try to not do the same thing all the time.

• Grok on July 17, 2011 at 00:16

I’ve been testing rice extensively to see if it flares up my knees. I ate 10lbs of brown rice last week and no ill effects (little stomach discomfort from the fiber). Testing white this week. 2lbs the last two days. No ill effects whatsoever. Does require more water drinking to stay hydrated. I’m anal about hydration because of my exercise.

Rice is back off my naughty list. Doesn’t bog me down as much as sweet potatoes, but still doesn’t hold the power of fruit. Note: I usually soak my rice at least overnight.

• rob on July 18, 2011 at 05:05

Mark Sisson has a good piece on brown vs. white rice on his site. I go with white rice because what I want from the rice is starch and nothing but starch, for protein and fat I eat animal flesh.

Anyway if you put “rice” in the search box at Mark’s site you will pull up his comparison of the two, I don’t see the point of brown rice, I eat broccoli for fiber.

• Grok on July 18, 2011 at 15:32

Sometimes it’s just about textures, but I prefer the soft white anyway. I can do without the extra insoluble fiber. I’m on a uber high fiber diet anyway.

• Peggy The Primal Parent on July 17, 2011 at 13:39

I’m seriously allergic to rice. Odd I know. My daughter is too. I do better with cane sugar. HA! Anyway, pictures of rice scare me. 🙂

39. LXV on July 16, 2011 at 13:31

“I’m apparently just one slippery slope away from a red convertible Corvette, silk shirt unbuttoned to my navel, fake chest hair, oversized gold chain-link bracelet & necklace, fancy watch, big rings….”

So you’ll be turning into Guy Fieri?

40. Tin Tin on July 16, 2011 at 17:43

The thing that draws me back to this blog is the quality of the commenters – even if Richard’s posts turn to shit every now and then.

41. Nick on July 16, 2011 at 19:50

Man, the entitlement of some blog followers is just astounding. I mean, I could understand being upset about quality of posts if I were paying $15 subscription, but it’s fucking free. Same thing with the whole Mark Sisson expensive protein fiasco. I’ve gotten the full benefit of primal/paleo wisdom without paying 1 cent to anyone! How the hell can you complain about free shit.

42. dr. gabriella kadar on July 17, 2011 at 09:07

What exactly is ‘acting your age’? A human being needs to feel comfortable in their own skin. Being true to onself (provided an AK 47 is not involved) is increasingly becoming a seemingly unaffordable luxury in this judgemental world.

Besides which, studies indicate that work quality improves when a person is pissed off.

I have noticed though that people listen more intently when we whisper than when we shout. In print, I suppose, nuance is everything.

Keep on keeping on, Richard. Don’t let the prissies put you off your stride.

g

43. Josh on July 17, 2011 at 09:30

Isn’t rice not paleo?

• Richard Nikoley on July 17, 2011 at 11:54

It’s not paleo, but neither are a lot of things. Hot Pockets = Not Paleo. But plain white rice is nothing like Hot Pockets.

Paleo is merely a decent starting framework. One may find that some Neolithic foodstuffs are not only well tolerated but actually beneficial. I have found this to be the case with rice. Potatoes are OK too, but they tend to make me feel a bit stuffed whereas rice seems to make me feel well energized and digests marvelously.

44. Matt on July 17, 2011 at 13:31

Almost completely off topic, here’s a recent article about Vernon Hershberger, a raw milk producer whose place of business and products were vandalized by Wisconsin tax-feeders a while back:

45. Mimi (Gingersnaps) on July 17, 2011 at 17:53

Umm…that hang-gliding is so badass. I’d love to know a little bit more about what it’s like — how does one learn?

Pfft, paleo shmaleo. People who sit around all day every day reading Paleo articles are likely not getting any fitter or healthier. You’re living, and living well. That’s awesome.

46. […] with her own blog, sporting a cute profile pic of herself, rings in; comment on my last macho hang gliding post, complete with Led Zep "Whole Lotta Love" music and […]

47. Identify your goals. Identify your obstacles. Now you know what to do. | Getting Josh Fit on July 18, 2011 at 08:08

[…] this stuff holds true in other parts of your life, not just in your workouts. Here’s some outside-the-workout motivation from Richard Nikoley at Free The Animal. add a […]

48. Tracy on July 21, 2011 at 04:34

K scratch my comment on your previous post, asking if hang gliding was hard on the arms… guess this answers my question!

Pearl-clutching whiners don’t seem to understand the whole blogger/reader arrangement of: blogger writes/posts what blogger wants; reader reads what reader wants and skips what reader doesn’t want. Amazing how we all have choices in life.

Anyway, I’m still a reader because I like your ‘voice’. Plus, you make one helluva reduction sauce.

And of course pussy is paleo! (well… mine is)

• Richard Nikoley on July 21, 2011 at 09:54

Yea, the arm problem was because I’m not used to flying three days in a row. Also, it’s the taking the glider off the car, setup, fly, breakdown, back on the car.

49. JM on July 21, 2011 at 12:13

Hi Richard, any chance you could post the recipe for the “Curried Beef, Pork & Lamb” It looks incredible! Thanks!

• Richard Nikoley on July 21, 2011 at 12:20

It was just a bunch of leftover ribeye, some ham, and some lamb. I just chopped it all up finely, tossed it in the pan with a bit of fat (don’t recall), added just a bit of beef stock to make it moist and then massaman curry to taste.

• JM on July 21, 2011 at 12:25