Liquid Fat Bomb Smoothie: The Ultimate “Energy Drink” That Will Blow Your Mind

Today’s Breakfast. Recipe and Macronutrient Breakdown Below.

You have to laugh. In today’s world of industrially engineered food and drink, the term “energy drink” is merely euphemism for sugar drink. Yea, some are laced with caffein, for added “energy.” And naturally, engineering being what it is, you don’t even have to look to know that cans of that crap probably contain upwards of 8 teaspoons and more of sugar in a single can. There are 4 grams in a tsp of sugar, all carbohydrate, so an “energy drink” sporting 30 grams of rapidly assimilating carbohydrate in liquid form is about 7-8 teaspoons.

Now, let me ask a dumb question. How many of you would put 8 teaspoons of sugar into any 10 or 12 oz. unsweetened drink? Anyway, enough of that nonsense.

As anyone with an ounce of true nutritional sense knows, fat is the ultimate source of energy, both dietary and body fat. It’s simple. A gram of carbohydrate like sugar or HFCS has 4 kilocalories of energy, while a gram of fat has 9 — more than twice as much, gram for gram.

But there’s one kind of fat that’s a bit special, medium chain triglyceride (MCT). What’s special about it?

MCTs passively diffuse from the GI tract to the portal system (longer fatty acids are absorbed into the lymphatic system) without requirement for modification like long-chain fatty acids or very-long-chain fatty acids. In addition, MCTs do not require bile salts for digestion. Patients that have malnutrition or malabsorption syndromes are treated with MCTs because they do not require energy for absorption, utilization, or storage. Coconut oil is composed of approximately 66% medium-chain triglycerides. Other rich sources of MCTs include palm kernel oils and camphor tree drupes. The fatty acids found in MCTs are called medium-chain fatty acids.

You usually have to dig a bit if you don’t already know, to discover that these MCTs are SATURATED FATS! Or, should I say, arterycloggingsaturatedfat?

Another thing to note is that they digest rapidly, like sugar in a drink and so are truly in the category of supplying rapid energy, the whole point of an “energy drink” or glucose gel, such as endurance athletes use. But guess what? Little to no glycemic load. They don’t spike your blood sugar to significant degree, and thus, don’t spike your insulin significantly…leaving you to later need another “energy drink,” and another, and another. Peak, valley, peak valley; wash, rinse, repeat.

There’s more. Turns out that MCTs have other huge benefits in terms of blood sugar control in diabetics as well as actual fat loss. Yea, a fat that makes you lose body fat. Let’s take a look at what the scientistas have to say.

Pubmed: Greater rise in fat oxidation with medium-chain triglyceride consumption relative to long-chain triglyceride is associated with lower initial body weight and greater loss of subcutaneous adipose tissue.

CONCLUSION: These data suggest that shunting of dietary fat towards oxidation results in diminished fat storage, as reflected by the loss of BW and subcutaneous adipose tissue. Furthermore, MCT consumption may stimulate EE and fat oxidation to a lower extent in men of greater BW compared to men of lower BW, indicative of the lower responsiveness to a rapidly oxidized fat by overweight men.

This was a randomized, crossover, controlled feeding trail. Subjects got either high amounts of MCT or LCT (olive oil). Crossover means that each group was subjected to both diets, which is gold standard. Those on MCT lost almost twice as much fat as those on LCT.

ScienceDirect: Medium-chain triglycerides

Abstract: …chemical and physical properties of MCFAs show substantial metabolic differences. MCFAs do not require binding to proteins such as fatty-acid binding protein, fatty acid transport protein, and/or fatty acid translocase (FAT, homolog to human platelet CD36). MCFAs are a preferred source of energy (β-oxidation). MCFAs are also incorporated into adipose tissue triglycerides, and may influence adipose tissue and other systemic functions more substantially than previously assumed. MCTs reduce fat mass, through down-regulation of adipogenic genes as well as peroxisome proliferator activated receptor-γ. Recent studies confirmed the potential of MCFAs to reduce body weight and particularly body fat. This effect was not transient. MCFAs reduce lipoprotein secretion and attenuate postprandial triglyceride response. It was, however, frequently observed that MCTs increase fasting cholesterol and triglyceride levels. But, given in moderate amounts, in diets with moderate fat supply, MCFAs may actually reduce fasting lipid levels more than oils rich in mono- or polyunsaturated fatty acids. The same is true for glucose levels. MCTs improved several features contributing to enhanced insulin sensitivity. Under certain in vitro conditions, MCTs exert proinflammatory effects, but in vivo MCTs may reduce intestinal injury and protect from hepatotoxicity.

This is just a review article looking at studies demonstrating a lot of the benefits of MCTs that we’re talking about. Do note the warning siren about elevated fasting cholesterol and triglycerides. Of course, this is just the abstract, such that some news media regurgitator in the “Health” section can write a dumbshit headline like “Coconut Milk Raises Cholesterol Levels, Study Finds.” Then you tear into the full text and find it wasn’t significant, it was one poorly controlled study out of many, or some other BS. And who cares about cholesterol numbers anyway? Cool that it may also may aid intestinal repair and protect your liver from drug or alcohol induced toxicity, important for those on medications or who drink regularly.

More? Hell, I don’t do science that often anymore, so let’s go all out. But in consideration of the environment, let’s save some space and you can click over to the abstracts you want to read.

PubMed: Physiological effects of medium-chain triglycerides: potential agents in the prevention of obesity.

PubMed: Medium chain fatty acid metabolism and energy expenditure: obesity treatment implications.

PubMed: Medium-chain fatty acids as metabolic therapy in cardiac disease. [the heart muscle loves ketone bodies, I’ve heard. -Ed]

PubMed: Medium-chain fatty acids: functional lipids for the prevention and treatment of the metabolic syndrome.

Well here’s one from 1986 that bears quoting the entire abstract, especially in view of the recipe for my secret energy drink, below.

PubMed: Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) in aging and arteriosclerosis.

Abstract: Some of the nutritional work with triglycerides consisting mainly of C8 and C10 fatty acids (MCT) lends itself to speculations about their influence on arteriosclerosis. Arteriosclerosis is thought to be part of the normal aging process which is due to age associated molecular biological changes. The lipid theory of arteriosclerosis is rejected. Pertinent studies with MCT include these observations. Feeding of MCT to rats resulted in animals of low body weight, small fat deposits and excellent survival rate. This deserves emphasis because of the beneficial influence of low body weight on aging and arteriosclerosis. MCT feeding was associated with low linoleate and low tocopherol requirements in rats. This may lead to reduced formation of those linoleate derived prostaglandins which favor thrombosis formation. Lower linoleate requirements may also lead to the presence of fewer uncontrolled free radicals in the cells. MCT feeding is associated with low levels of serum and liver cholesterol involving speculations that tissue conditions are such that an adaptive increase of cholesterol is unnecessary. The Demographic Yearbook of the United Nations (1978) reported that Sri Lanka has the lowest death rate from ischemic heart disease. Sri Lanka is the only of the countries giving reliable data where coconut oil (containing over 50% medium chain fatty acids) is the main dietary fat. [emphasis added]

So, while it doesn’t say how much saturated fat the lowest death rate from heart disease-Sri Lankans ate, we do have an idea for another population, the Tokelauans, who eat about 50% of energy from saturated fat and have no evidence of heart disease. I blogged about it way back here.

There was one other issue I wanted to cover, and that’s the potential insulin stimulating effects of MCTs (if any), and whether coconut milk — with 1 gram of carbohydrate per ounce — could present any problem to diabetics. I dug all over the place, got lots of help from Twitter peeps (thanks much, all of you) but in the end could not really come to firm conclusions, so I’ll leave that to comments. Other than that, there’s this interesting conversation between Marty Gallagher and Dr. Chris Hardy at PrecisionNutrition on MCTs, coconut oil, and coconut milk in both a health and training context. Good stuff.

Alright, now while I certainly didn’t need to do all this sciency researchin’ to know that a natural product like coconut milk would be like most wholesome food: good for me…I want to make sure you have confidence, dear reader, that indeed it is safe to go back in the water. The sharks are all over at Jamba Juice getting their faux “health” smoothies (count how many of those sugar drinks have over 100g of sugar).

Nope, what you’ll get here is a smoothie, an energy drink that will blow the lid off all that crap in a cup in terms of sustained, level energy and satiation; and well, you’ve seen the potential numerous health and weight loss and control benefits. Incidentally, coconut fat is about 90% saturated. Of the saturated fat, 66% is comprised of MCTs.

And by the way, I’ve used both coconut oil and coconut milk in cooking for years, particularly for Thai curries. Also, last year at NovNat over a week, we probably each had near or more than a can of coconut milk every morning (see the top pic) and I for one was rarely ever hungry much for lunch, in spite of the activity (though I ate big every meal). And I lost 3 pounds over the week and felt great.

Alright, the recipe:

• 1 cup full fat coconut milk (I like Native Forrest)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 raw egg yolks (don’t eat whites raw; cook them to destroy avidin, an anti nutrient)
  • 1 scoop whey protein (I use vanilla Primal Fuel)
  • 2/3 cup frozen berries (I like the medleys)

Blend it and consume. I save the whites, scramble them in a pat of butter and add a bit of grated parmesan for flavor, no salt.

Macronutrient breakdown:

• Total Fat: 70 grams
  • Saturated Fat: 50 grams (71.4% of total fat)
  • Carbohydrate: 27 grams
  • Protein: 27 grams
  • Total Calories: 840
  • Percent Total Energy: 75% (TF), 54% (SFA), 13% (C), 13% (P)

An alternative which I’ll try is to do one raw egg yolk in the smoothie and mix the white with the other whole egg for cooking. And, of course, there’s tons of variations you can do with this. The egg yolks make it smooth. The frozen berries make it cool without making it watery with ice.

And so on, and so on.

1. Candice on August 17, 2011 at 16:55

Here is the link to Primal Toad’s ebook:

He also has free recipes on his site.

-C

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 06:31

Thanks for linking to it here Candice! I mentioned it above but will mention it again… if you use discount code “animal” you can steal it for only $5! I may end this within a week.

2. Will Bill on August 17, 2011 at 14:16

How about short-chain fatty acids such as those found in butter or those released during fiber digestion. These are quite glucogenic being 2-4 carbons long. Someone help me – they provide 20-30% of their energy from the glycerol?

• Richard Nikoley on August 17, 2011 at 14:27

Peter at Hyperlipid did a post on Dr Davis’ claim that butter is insulogenic. Don’t recall the details, though.

3. Travis Steward on August 17, 2011 at 14:20

I have nearly the exact same shake! I stopped having them a few months ago, but I started to gain a bit of weight. Once I put them back in, I felt satieted all the time and the leanness came back. It’s a staple of my diet now.

4. Anthony on August 17, 2011 at 14:20

Just had an “energy smoothie” myself, but instead of coconut milk I use straight grass fed half/half, and add a table spoon of unrefined extra virgin coconut oil separately.

I also add frozen berries, grass fed vanilla whey concentrate, raw honey, saigon cinnamon, true cinnamon, 1 raw egg yolk, and a good chunk of almond butter.

Yum.

• Richard Nikoley on August 17, 2011 at 14:29

There are a million roads, Anthony. In fact, isn’t it Primal Toad that has an ebook with hundreds of smoothie recipes?

He’s welcome to drop the link here in comments.

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 06:19

Hey Richard! Yes, I do… not hundreds of smoothies YET. I do plan on getting there. What sucks is I haven’t had my blender for the past 3 weeks so my progress in making smoothies has obviously stalled.

I do have recipes with coconut milk and one with coconut oil. I will be using coconut oil in many more recipes to come. I’ve been making smoothies consistently for more than 6 years so I know a bit about them… first it was fruit and crap, then green smoothies… now primal/paleo smoothies!

You asked for it so here is the link with a nice discount for Richards readers:

Use “animal” as a discount code to buy it for only $5. I’ll end this in about a week.

My sales page is a mess but will be worked on soon!

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2011 at 07:59

That’s a great offer, Toad. Much appreciated.

5. Bloviator on August 17, 2011 at 15:02

Hey man, they didn’t have blenders in the paleolithic era!

I make smoothies almost the same way but I alternate between full fat yogurt and coconut milk and I add some flax oil and some unflavored metamucil and sometimes some molasses for minerals and also sometimes some magnesium ‘oil’. I do put in the whole egg, white included. What does avidin do to a person?

• Richard Nikoley on August 17, 2011 at 15:17

Bloviator, as I recall it inhibits B vitamin absorption, but that may be wrong. Google.

I was doing. Lot of proteins shakes at one point and I would always use 1-2 jumbo whole raw eggs. After a while, I noted that my toenails and fingernails kept breaking, as in really brittle. I was reading a Masterjohn article somewhere and it mentioned that as a side effect of avidin. I stopped the smoothies and nails returned to normal.

• Alex on August 17, 2011 at 17:36

Avidin binds strongly to biotin (vit B7). Eating too many raw egg whites can cause biotin deficiency.

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 06:21

I know we are all different but do you guys think that 3 raw jumbo eggs a week would cause a deficiency? I enjoy smoothies with raw eggs but am fine doing only the yolk. Since I do have that eBook, I would not mind updating my thoughts on raw eggs and the recipes that include whole raw eggs too.

• Alex on August 18, 2011 at 06:36

Egg yolks are loaded with biotin, so whole eggs shouldn’t have this problem. I think it’s only an issue for people who want to consume raw egg but have been brainwashed with the idiotic notion that egg yolks are unhealthy and should be thrown away.

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2011 at 08:03

I was doing like at least two whole jumbos per day for a while, on Leangains, trying to get the protein down. Then I noticed the brittle toenails particular, which I understand is predicted by biotin deficiency. I stopped and nails returned to normal. I dunno for sure, but seems plausible.

6. Murray on August 17, 2011 at 15:15

Looks good, Richard. I’ve experimented some, but keep going back to your original Fat Bomb with coconut cream and heavy cream. I mix it up with some ice, vanilla, and a wee bit o’ sweetener if I feel like pissing off the cave gods. Heaven, I tell ya.

One little extra I do is melt some coconut oil while the bomb is in the blender. Stir in a tbsp or two of warm oil in there after pouring it into a glass and it freezes into little bits you can chomp on while drinking it. It’s like a Caveman Blizzard.

• Katie on August 19, 2011 at 14:31

Murray, you are my hero. I never thought about adding in coconut oil like that. And here I thought my Blizzard days were over!

7. Bill Strahan on August 17, 2011 at 15:16

Take all that and throw it into a Cuisinart ice cream mixer. Fatty goodness squared.

Sometimes I miss ice cream, and a smoothy like you’ve described or (dare I even say this) 4 cups whole milk and a couple of scoops of protein powder make a nice mix for a quick batch of ice cream in the Cuisinart.

Make it right before a workout, then put it in the freezer so it firms up while you’re breaking a sweat, then ice cream PWO. NSPH. Not-strict-paleo-heaven.

🙂

8. Brett Legree on August 17, 2011 at 15:17

That sounds totally awesome. I think I’ll try it tonight, since I’m recovering from pneumonia and a lot of the other things I normally eat aren’t going down too well and I don’t want to lose any more weight (down 12 pounds already) – this sounds delicious to me…

9. Bill Strahan on August 17, 2011 at 15:18

Oops, I forgot. Add a whole avocado to either mix for a super smooth and rich taste and texture. Yes, avocado, milk, and chocolate protein powder. Heresy, yet tasty!

10. Michael on August 17, 2011 at 15:35

I do coconut milk smoothies all the time minus the water and whey protein. Excellent drink. Will probably have one before we start on that bottle of Abelour 🙂

By the way, cooking reduces the avidin in egg whites by about 70%.

• Richard Nikoley on August 17, 2011 at 15:54

Experimenting with high fat and about equal protein & carbs. Doing grassfed ground beef curries w c milk and not draining the beef fat, cooking on low, letting moisture evaporate. Siddons Primal Fuel is 2 scoops per serving and has a good fat profile, so I use 1 scoop to moderate protein.

11. Anthony on August 17, 2011 at 15:55

Avocado, chocolate, and whole milk sounds good for some bizarre reason. I shall try it!

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 06:26

Avocado is the world’s greatest smoothie ingredient! If they are soft then they will make the smoothie extra smooth. If you eat bananas then that is also a top ingredient for smoothness.

I love using coconut milk in smoothies BUT my stomach is not a fan. I have suspected that it was the guar gum and after listening to the AHS podcast of Robb, Matt and Mark my thought was confirmed. Robb mentioned something about guar gum and negative effects on the gut.

I LOVE using shredded coconut. In order for it to blend well, something like an avocado or banana is absolutely necessary!

Almond milk is a decent alternative to coconut milk too – just not as thick.

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2011 at 08:07

There are some brands out of Thailand and Viet Nam in a local Asian market (Ranch 99) that do not have guar gum in them, both canned and the frozen packages.

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 09:03

I will have to check this out immediately then. Thanks!

• echokitten on August 21, 2011 at 09:42

If you can find it: Chef’s Choice Coconut Milk (product of Thailand) is a Guar Gum free canned coconut milk as well…so is Chaokoh(Thai also) brand. I have access to both of these via a restaurant supply store I frequent.
      I prefer the Chef’s Choice brand because the cream separates in a thick cream readily in the fridge overnight. The cream from this brand is naturally sweet and thick like yogurt. I let the can separate then puncture the bottom over a bowl to drain out the liquid and then turn it over and open the can completely to reveal “coconut yogurt”…which I eat plain with a spoon for breakfast. I save and drink the liquid separate as a post workout potassium replenisher.
      Sometimes I sweeten the cream lightly with a tiny bit of Stevia and whip it with a hand mixer and freeze for about 30 min for “ice cream”…

• Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2011 at 10:39

Interesting, echokitten. And what has been the effect on your leanness eaten that much coconut fat?

• Ashley on August 21, 2011 at 12:06

I recently ordered some coconut from Tropical Traditions and have been making coconut milk as needed in my Vitamix. It is way easier than I would ever have thought, although this strainer definitely comes in handy – . I feel good eating/drinking this homemade coconut milk as it is just coconut and water, and it tastes pretty yummy!

12. scott on August 17, 2011 at 16:04

I would rather chew my food. Have you checked your BG after drinking one of these?

• Richard Nikoley on August 17, 2011 at 16:14

Go ahead. Fat is liquid, in case you never noticed. You may be chewing on something, but the fat component is liquid.

How is chewing butter working out for you?

How about your salad dressing? Chew up. Ever do a fatty sauce for your steak? How’s the chew factor? Maybe you do your eggs scrambled, so you can chew them, but I’m partial to OE or sunny. Haven’t figured how to chew runny yolks, yet.

This is a 75% fat meal, but you had to expose your ignorance like that, didn’t you?

• Richard Nikoley on August 17, 2011 at 16:17

I’m just sure my BG will have skyrocketed after a meal of 75% fat, 13% protein, 13% carb. Out of sight.

I haven’t done a BG in over a year and my goal is never to fall into that stupid reductionism again for the rest of my life,

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 06:29

Thank you for pointing this out Richard! I emailed Robb to ask him of his opinion on smoothies and, well, he was completely against it for people who are trying to lose weight. But, like you said, fat is liquid. People who wish to lose weight will often times take 3 TBSP of coconut oil or more a day which is liquid… but low carb smoothies are a no go? Does not seem logical to me.

I love Robb Wolf. The more I read his blog and listen to his podcasts the more I love him. But, grr… I don’t agree with him on smoothies. Not that I agree with everything that anyone says so no big deal. And, smoothies are PERFECT for aiding digestion!

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2011 at 08:11

I am generally opposed to drinking calories as well, with the exception of high fat smoothies. Of course, a sugar or high fruit smoothies with lots of liquid carbage is going to be bad, as is a very high whey smoothie. In my case here, the 840 cals is 75% fat. I have a few pound to loose after my gain following injury, so we’ll see.

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 09:04

I agree and most of my smoothies are lower carb. I of course have some that are mostly fruit but a lot are high fat.

And adding greens slows down the harmful effect as well.

13. Jac on August 17, 2011 at 16:24

Yumm. I was reading this after eating 300g lamb steak for breakfast and still wanting to eat more. Not fun. I made the smoothie, without the protein powder, and now feel good. Hopefully that’ll do me for the day!

14. scott on August 17, 2011 at 16:24

Yes, I am ignorant of many things (but I did see the fat breakdown in your post).

I love the curry sauces on a substrate. Steak. Sausages dripping in egg yolk. Chewing>drinking imo because it takes longer, and I don’t seem to have any problem getting enough fat this way.

Side note: just listened to your podcast w.angelo coppola. Enjoyed it very much. You sounded very natural & Angelo sounds like a radio pro.

• Richard Nikoley on August 17, 2011 at 17:28

Ok , Scott, sorry for being so harsh.

I too advocate chewing your meals, but for a very high fat regimes I am doing, pretty tough without taking c milk or cream. But when I typically say chew your food, it is against sugar drinks primarily and protein drinks second. I stopped doing the latter a long time ago, unless it’s the odd dessert, which is rare.

Drinking fat is a whole other world.

15. David on August 17, 2011 at 16:29

What are the options for those of rare few of us who can’t stomach eggs?

• Richard Nikoley on August 17, 2011 at 17:33

Totally doable without the eggs, though I don’t see how you would notice the egg yolk part. Totally undetectBle taste wise, and if it’s a digestion issue, separating the yolk from the white gives you a chance to see which one it might be if not both. Do the yolk in the smoothie one day, eat the cooked whites the next. Experiment.

But if you skip entirely, you can always find something to chew along with it, like bacon, leftover meat, ham…

• Katie @ Wellness Mama on August 21, 2011 at 19:54

Or just add some coconut oil or avocado and eat protein with it.

16. Margaretrc on August 17, 2011 at 16:42

This sounds awesome! I have made similar smoothies with half coconut milk, half full fat yogurt, and the frozen berries. Never tried it with all coconut milk and egg yolks before, but will. I might even substitute almond milk for the water. You don’t have to convince me that all things coconut are good and good for you. I’ve been eating coconut milk and oil and slathering the oil on my skin for about 6 years, ever since I read Mary Enig’s books, and I grew up on foods made with coconut. I love the ice cream idea. I have an ice cream maker that has been idle since I went LC. It’ll be great to drag it out and use it again.
    BTW, @Brett Legree, coconut oil has a load of lauric acid (one of the MCTs) in it and, once in the body, that is converted to Monolaurin, which is a powerful anti viral, antibiotic, anti fungal agent. I always ramp up the coconut milk and oil on the rare occasions when I’m sick. My favorite hot soup when I’m sick is coconut ginger soup: simmer equal parts coconut milk and chicken broth (the real stuff) with some fresh ginger for about 10 minutes. Delicious and loaded with healthful stuff. I don’t only eat it when sick, but I eat it a lot when I am. So, if you’re still recovering, chug down the coconut milk, cream and oil as much as possible! It’ll give a boost to whatever antibiotics you are taking.

• Brett Legree on August 17, 2011 at 17:27

@Margaretrc – wow, thank you, I did not know that – so it looks like the universe brought me exactly what I needed today in the way of Richard’s post 🙂

I know what I’ll have for breakfast tomorrow – another one of these smoothies – and I’ll buy some more coconut milk tomorrow. I still feel really great after having it – now I’m going to go get about 9 hours sleep…

17. Michelle on August 17, 2011 at 16:57

Our standard breakfast smoothie recipe:
    -one can coconut milk
    -large scoop full-fat greek yogourt
    -one avocado
    -large scoop or two whey powder (flavored or non flavored)
    -large scoop peanut or almond butter
    -handful frozen berries (mixed)
    -one banana
    -some whole milk to top up the blender

Not perfect – but filling, practical, and my bf loves it. My preference is coconut milk + almond butter + chocolate protein powder + ice (and maybe avocado, and I should try the egg yolk).

When we did a backpacking trip, we just did coconut milk + flavored protein powder (sans blender). It was awesome and way better than just oatmeal.

18. Fasting and Weight Loss Fast Lose that Fat Fitness Secrets Center on August 17, 2011 at 18:50

[…] Fat Bomb Smoothie: The Ultimate "Energy Drink" | Free The Animal […]

19. Jessica K on August 17, 2011 at 22:48

I make a smoothie very similar to this. Its a great way to get nutrients to my picky four year old. Sometimes I freeze it and let her eat it like a frozen treat. A great variation is to make with homemade raw kefir or homemade coconut milk kefir. Also instead of powdered whet protein, make the real stuff a la Sally Fallon. This way you can pack in probiotics too.

20. Jessica K on August 17, 2011 at 22:58

A great video showing how to make coconut milk kefir: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist/2011/02/video-coconut-milk-kefir/

21. Sean on August 18, 2011 at 00:22

What about the vodka? Or did you mean to write 1/4 cup little water? Personally, I think 1/4 cup is a bit too much.

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2011 at 00:40

Shhhhhh

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 06:38

Lol. I plan on experimenting with wine in smoothies and MIGHT do a vodka one. I am not a fan of beer or vodka, just wine. A smoothie with coffee or espresso is due too. People claim I have been creative with my recipes and that the rock but, well, I kind of disagree. I am stepping it up a notch or 2.

• Alex on August 18, 2011 at 06:43

I make protein shakes with pure, unflavored whey protein isolate and a splash of coconut milk, and one of the flavors I use is two teaspoons of organic instant coffee and a teaspoon of gourmet cocoa powder, with maple syrup for sweetness.

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 09:05

What brand do you buy? I am a fan of Now Foods – plain, unflavored whey isolate. I buy the 5 lb canister!

• Alex on August 18, 2011 at 09:12

I buy cold filtered whey protein isolate in bulk from trueprotein.com

• Primal Toad on August 18, 2011 at 12:32

Thanks man! The one I buy is very reasonable but this one is crazy! 25 lbs is a lot but…

do you share it with anyone? How much whey do you have per week?

• Alex on August 18, 2011 at 12:45

I work out three days a week and drink a shake an hour before my workout and one right after. So, that’s six scoops a week. I buy 16 pounds at a time, just for myself.

• Katie @ Wellness Mama on August 21, 2011 at 19:56

Ramp it up… use coffee kombucha… amazing!

• Chris B on August 18, 2011 at 10:53

Personally, instead of the vodka, I think just a tad bit of rum would add a nice flavor since it goes so well with coconut, don’t you. (grin)

• Primal Toad on August 21, 2011 at 09:13

Ah yes, coconut rum maybe?

22. Matt Brody on August 18, 2011 at 05:46

Richard, do you buy that coconut milk through Amazon? I just searched on it there, and the most recent reviews note a dramatic shift in product quality starting in June. You may wish to research regardless of your supplier – it seems that the cans that originate from Sri Lanka are the offending ones.

• Jules on August 18, 2011 at 06:47

I have seen the dramatic shift! I was actually just going to ask Richard if he’d thought there was a change in the consistency of Native Forest- it used to be my favorite brand, but a couple months ago I noticed the texture had gone from super smooth to kinda grainy/curdled. I probably wouldn’t notice this in smoothie form, but I used to be able to use Native Forest in my coffee and it doesn’t do it for me any more 🙁 I’ve been getting Taste of Thai lately.

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2011 at 07:57

I get mine from Whole Foods and when they don’t have it, I get 360. I don’t like Thai Kitchen because it settles and gets all clumpy. I never have that prob with the other two. Always smooth through and through.

Just got six more cans the other day, so we’ll see as soon as I break into them.

• Alex on August 18, 2011 at 09:16

Thai Kitchen is my favorite brand, and the key to having it not get all clumpy is to NOT keep it in a cool place. Before opening a can, the contents have to be warm enough such that the coconut oil isn’t crunchy hard, and the can has to be shaken vigorously too.

• Chris B on August 18, 2011 at 10:55

Not at home so I can’t check right now, but if I remember correctly, the reason I choose Native Forest is because they say their cans are not lined w/BPA, while the Thai Kitchen ones are.

• Matt Brody on August 18, 2011 at 19:19

Yes, Native Forest is BPA-free, and I believe they’re the only supplier that boasts the claim. But if they’ve moved their operation to Sri Lanka and are creating inferior products, bring on the BPA. Taste of Thai is OK, but expensive — I tend to pick up whatever thai imported brand I happen to find at Wegmans (East coast higher end supermarket), and seem to have reasonable quality at half the cost of ToT.

• Phocion Timon on August 20, 2011 at 16:20

23. Mild Speculation on August 18, 2011 at 08:14

Obviously blood sugar is a nonissue after a shake like this, but my concern is blood triglycerides. After all, the harmful effects of high carb meals on LDL result from an increase in triglycerides. Would this spike trigs pretty badly as well?

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2011 at 09:19

Trigs will spike after virtually any meal, I believe, which is why they test fasting trigs.

There is this odd idea that seems prevalent in the LC community in particular that glucose should not spike, insulin should not spike, trigs should not spike. This is simly erroneous. It’s not the acute spikes but chronic elevated. BG can spike up to 140 oin a perfectly normal person after a meal.

Just as your heart rate and BP are not steady state and can and should spike tremendously when called for.

24. rob on August 18, 2011 at 09:21

Lately I have been using Jack3d as my energy drink, it works really good though it can be a little scary if you use too much, feel like you are going to jump out of your skin, really intense. It smells like shit, the taste isn’t bad, and it makes me itch for the first few minutes but it keeps me lifting weights forever.

I work out with heavy weights for 5 1/2 hours per week, imo this energy drink wouldn’t do the job. I need lots of caffeine and preferably some other potent stimulants mixed in with it. Sorry but fat as an energy source isn’t going to cut it when I have 75 minutes of heavy lifting in front of me, I want some serious fucking chemicals.

If I am not going to be busting my ass lifting heavy ass weights regular coffee works fine as an energy drink.

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2011 at 09:24

I keep my lifting to two sessions per week, 20 minutes only, about, and always fasted. I’ll be hitting it today about 20 hours fasted.

25. brian on August 18, 2011 at 13:10

What are the risks, like salmonella of raw egg yolks?

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2011 at 13:50

Wouldn’t know, Brian. I’ve been eating raw eggs for decades, and I’m typing this comment.

Sorry, I get impatient with irrational fear. And this one in particular has long been my touchstone for exactly that.

26. Judi O on August 18, 2011 at 13:30

Sometimes I add 1/2 tsp of matcha to my smoothie and it gives me energy without the jitters I might get from too much coffee. Other optional add-ins might be: a spoonful of chia seed, raw chocolate powder, or grated orange or lemon peel for a pop of flavor.

27. Tracy on August 18, 2011 at 14:38

What to do with the egg whites… save up a few, then whip them until they are almost a merengue (so pretty stiff), season with garlic and onion powder, then fry blobs of it in copious amounts of butter. Smoosh ’em down while you cook them. They come out like thin pancakes, saturated with butter and garlicky-ness. Nice as a side for steak, or roll something up in it and nom away.

28. […] was after my Liquid Fat Bomb earlier in the day. The fast was broken with a 10oz. filet, asparagus, and a […]

29. clif on August 19, 2011 at 12:40

I’m just wondering out loud here-but how much MCT’s are in coconut milk compared to coconut oil? A tablespoon of coconut oil provides 117 calories, 13.6 g fat, of which 11.8 g are saturated fats, and is devoid of protein, carbohydrates and fiber. A tablespoon of canned coconut milk contains 30 calories, 3.2 g fat, 2.8 g saturated fat, 0.3 g protein, 0.4 g carbohydrates and no fiber. (pulled from some random site)

I generally throw coconut oil in any smoothie I make, because it freezes and adds this little icy like consistency that is awesome. Also-due to the high amount of sat fat in these shakes listed above, I believe I’m right in my understanding that it would be an opportune time to take some fish oil, as the utilization of the fish oil may be better with high fat intake meals….Kresser said that – if I’m remembering my podcasts clearly.

• Richard Nikoley on August 19, 2011 at 12:45

As I understand it, cliff, 90% of the fat in coconut is saturated fat and of that, 66% is MCT. So, just take the fat grams, multiply by 90% and multiply the result by 66%.

• clif on August 19, 2011 at 12:49

Gracias!

30. Joss Delage on August 19, 2011 at 15:49

Thanks for the recipe, I’m going to try that.

Have you tried the same shake without protein? I think that would allow you many of the benefits of a fasted workout, unless I misunderstood something.

• Richard Nikoley on August 19, 2011 at 15:55

I have my original fat bomb if you search the blog, which is more like 95% fat. In this one I’m aiming for more of a high fat and moderate carb and protein breakfast. Not as a replacement, since fat is liquid anyway.

31. Woodwose on August 20, 2011 at 00:41

A nice thing for vitamins and micronutrients is raw liver shakes. Deep freeze for at least two weeks to kill any pathogens, then mix it with some acidic like wine or winegar and some other spices like red peppepers. Pour thru a sieve and drink. Raw liver is also supposed to be good against fatigue.

• Richard Nikoley on August 20, 2011 at 01:46

I eat plenty of raw stuff, oysters, sushi, eggs, steak tartare. But I’ll pass on raw liquified liver.

32. Sunday 21st August « BodyFit Redemption on August 20, 2011 at 02:02

[…] Paleo Corner – Liquid Fat Bomb Smoothie: The Ultimate “Energy Drink” That Will Blow Your Mind […]

33. DHM on August 20, 2011 at 10:33

I have been having almost this exact shake as my late breakfast (I have been following Martins lean gains for almost a year) every day for over 6 months. As an FYI, My Triglycerides are down (<100)and HDL is up over 20 points since it was checked last year. My shake is half a can coc milk, protein powder, 2 raw eggs and occasionally some frozen fruit. I buy the coconut milk by the case.

• Richard Nikoley on August 20, 2011 at 11:28

And how have your results Beemer DHM in terms of energy, satiety and leaning out?

• DHM on August 21, 2011 at 07:53

Great, although the rest of my diet is kind of off right now I am still easily maintaining. Earlier in the year, I was dropping fat steadily with no cardio and I got to the leanest I have ever been without trying much at all.

• Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2011 at 08:14

Good to know as this is the experience I recall from MovNat, downing about a can a day and losing three pounds over the week and about the same thing this last week at about a cup of the stuff per day.

34. […] So then, what to do with the leftover insides from 1 1/2 baked potatoes? Well, how about potato pancakes this morning to go along with my Liquid Fat Bomb smoothie, that 70gram saturated fat powerhouse backed by an impressive body of science? […]

35. Adrian on August 20, 2011 at 15:42

Hey Richard,

I’m obviously aware I can do these without the whey protein, but just wondering what your reasoning is for including some? I would rather eat some bacon & eggs to get my protein, so my guess is you add it in so you can get some protein without needing to eat anything else? Am I on the money, or is there some other benefit I’m not considering?

The shake sounds good, going to give it a try on my next non-fasting dinner to dinner day.

• Richard Nikoley on August 20, 2011 at 15:48

Adrian

It’s just really an experiment with high fat and moderate protein & carb, including the egg whites I fry up. That’s all, not a paleo policy. The other part of the experiment is having calories in the morning on non fasting days. Usually not hungry enough to fix something to chew on but this is easy. So it’s just a tweak I’m checking out to see if I get better results.

• Phocion Timon on August 20, 2011 at 16:28

I work in the oil fields of west Texas and east New Mexico in a mobile laboratory. When I am in the field I of course must cook all my meals. The convenience of a whey protein and fat shake cannot be overstated, especially in the morning after a long night of little sleep. Easy preparation and easy cleanup. Even easier if you use a shaker bottle instead of a blender.

36. Illuminarellc on August 21, 2011 at 11:59

I drink a smoothie recipe that is very similar. However, I recently read (PHD? or some other nutrition site) that human body absorbs 95% protein of cooked eggs vs. 65% of raw eggs. Hence, I drop one or two hard-boiled eggs into my smoothie instead of raw. Whiz the heck out of it in the blender and one wouldn’t know HB eggs were used – at least the hubby hasn’t caught onto the HB eggs yet!

37. Brian on August 21, 2011 at 12:52

Personal favorite

1 avocado
    1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
    1 tsp coconut palm sugar
    5 ice cubes and some water
    Blend
    Add some whey protein if you want more than just fat

38. JohnC on August 21, 2011 at 13:19

Hate to nitpick but olive oil is not a LCT

• Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2011 at 14:20

It’s what was used in the studies cited to compare. There is LCT in olive oil, probably all the saturated fat which, I believe is similar in composition to a ribeye steak.

• Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2011 at 14:21

Also, I’d have to check, but what are the chain lengths of the monounsat fats in OO?

39. Dave, RN on August 21, 2011 at 16:43

I’ve made a shake like that for the last couple of years. I alternate 100% coconuut milk with a 50-50 mix of coconut milk and raw milk. And for anice kick, I brew some very concentrated coffee and put some in. Gives the chocolate whey a mocha flavor and a nice kickof caffiene as well. Not to mention the antioxidants the coffee provides. I add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil as well.

40. Jessica K on August 21, 2011 at 19:24

This post has brought up something interesting for me. I have previously used coconut milk in all sorts of concoctions and tolerated it quite well. I paid little attention to the guar gum comments. This post inspired me to make my smoothie version and I promptly got ill. I didn’t connect it to the coconut milk as I also dined out that day. I suffer from many food allergies and figured something must have been slipped in. I had mouth swelling, itching, stomach issues, etc. I again had some coconut milk last night and promptly got sicker than the last time. I then went and looked at the label and sure enough, guar gum. I have never thought of coconut milk as a “processed food”. I did a quick little google search and found guar gum listed in the soy allergy guides because it frequently contains soy. I am HIGHLY allergic to soy and cannot believe I missed this.

41. Katie @ Wellness Mama on August 21, 2011 at 20:03

I started making my own coconut milk to avoid the guar gum, and it is a lot cheaper also. http://wellnessmama.com/2447/homemade-coconut-milk/

I’m interested to see the results of your experiment with these specific ratios. I try to keep my carbs lower, so I make a similar smoothie but with a TBSP or two of cocoa powder (tons of antioxidants) instead of the berries. I also add a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil.

My kids love the berry version though, and it is a great way to keep them from being hungry right after breakfast. Their normal breakfast is: 2 eggs, bacon or sausage, veggie of some kind and a smoothie.

42. Primal Energy Drink | trying new things and stuff on August 21, 2011 at 21:08

[…] tried this homemade energy drink today. As awesome as it looks, it wasn’t exactly my cup of tea, but I think that was mainly […]

43. Fat Bomb Smoothie | jugalbandi on August 24, 2011 at 00:11

[…] Nikoley at Free the Animal has a review of the scientific literature that points to the benefits of MCTs, including their role […]

44. Joss on August 24, 2011 at 08:08

Had one of those for lunch yesterday. It was pretty darn good!

45. Thursday 08.24.11 on August 24, 2011 at 17:01

[…] Liquid Fat Bomb Smoothie, from Free the Animal  […]

46. Mike H on August 26, 2011 at 08:45

This was food but a bit too plain for me. Adding some vanilla extract was huge. Thanks!

47. Dan B on August 28, 2011 at 11:22

Tried the shake, thought it was awesome, but for me coconut milk is a horrible laxative. Only able to keep it down for 3 hours.

• Richard Nikoley on August 28, 2011 at 13:05

I experienced similar a couple, though not all times. I just went over to an Asian market today and got co punt milk from Tailand, Viet Nam, and another one, frozen in a package, from Pilippines. None of them have guar gum and supposedly that’s what can cause the laxative effect. I’ll test all three.

48. Dan B on August 28, 2011 at 14:01

I just read a post on Robb Wolf’s site talking about guar gum, but if that is the case maybe i will just use that coconut cream that you can order online

49. » Quick Fat Facts engrevo on August 28, 2011 at 18:08

[…] we know, MCTs (a saturated fat) provide quick energy. They also promote ketosis, and make up a substantial portion of breastmilk. If evolution points […]

50. Primal Journal - An Army Man's Perspective to improve Mass and Fitness | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 2 on August 31, 2011 at 18:05

[…] […]

51. CrossFit 312 » Blog Archive » 09.04.11 on September 3, 2011 at 22:11

[…] article: dark roast coffee reducing bodyweight!? recipe: liquid fat bomb – the ultimate energy drink […]

52. Primal Journal - sarah1990 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 8 on September 7, 2011 at 14:37

[…] Good day today! Started off with a smoothie from here. Then this afternoon I had a decent meal as I knew I was going to the late CF session and hate […]

53. Adriana on September 12, 2011 at 00:51

Does the nutritional breakdown include the side order of egg whites?

• Richard Nikoley on September 12, 2011 at 05:54

As I recall, it does. A few grams of protein and a few grams of fat from the pat of butter.

• Adriana on September 12, 2011 at 09:30

Hats off to you for a great smoothie…I modified it slightly to incorporate probiotics by replacing half the coconut milk with kefir, added a splash of Mexican vanilla and about a tbsp of 50:50 MCT/Coconut oil plus a tbsp Coconut Manna. Nom!

54. Adriana on September 13, 2011 at 11:53

“The CEO of Native Forest noticed complaints from customers and discovered the canner had changed the recipe without Native Forest’s permission. The CEO told Amazon to pull the product. Native Forest is now using a different canner with the original coconut milk recipe. The repaired recipe can now be purchased from Amazon.”

I sent Native Forest and inquiry asking them to verify this. Here was the repky:

Dear Adriana,

Not exactly.  During the coconut lean season, we had to source from an
    alternative supply in order to maintain inventory.  Our usual supply
    is from Thailand.  The alternate supply from Sri Lanka is a little
    different processing method thus resulting in a different product.
    The product from Thailand is smoother and creamier.  We are not back
    to sending Amazon only the Thai sourced product since August 4th.
    Where did you read the comment you quoted?

Sincerely,
    Joanna Freet
    Edward & Sons Trading Co., Inc.
    805-684-8500 x103
    805-684-8220 fax

I have requested her to tell me whe the lean season is so we can plan ahead in the future and stock up.

• Adriana on September 15, 2011 at 10:08

Update from Joanna, “lean season” is February – August.

Hi Adriana,

Whole Foods may have the Thai product back on their shelves. The best way to be sure is to check the label for the country of origin. Lean season where there is not a lot of coconut milk flowing is February through August. We attempt to stock up beforehand so there is less visibility of this lean period.

55. Diet and Lifestyle for MCAD Disease | Paleo Village on September 16, 2011 at 00:13

[…] reading…

56. Smoothie Guest Post: Free the Animal on October 6, 2011 at 19:01

[…] you ever drank an entire smoothie that has 74 grams of fat? If you have tried Richards latest Fat Bomb Smoothie then you just fell short. It still amazes me how we think fat is fattening. Just yesterday I was at […]

57. […] you ever drank an entire smoothie that has 74 grams of fat? If you have tried Richard's latest Fat Bomb Smoothie then you just fell short. It still amazes me how we think fat is fattening. Just yesterday I was at […]

58. Erik on October 17, 2011 at 11:19

what is the consensus re: silk coconut milk versus these other brands that have been discussed here?

thanks,

• Richard Nikoley on October 17, 2011 at 11:26

I recently went to an Asian market and get a few Thai and Vietnamese brands that don’t have guar gum and handle it a lot better digestion wise.

There’s a guest post from Primal Toad up, and he does his with coconut flakes and water. Blended, it probably makes no difference.

59. […] Liquid Fat Bomb Smoothie: The Ultimate “Energy Drink” That Will Blow Your Mind (13,000) […]

60. Real Human Fitness and Lifestyle » Some Fat Links for Fat Tuesday on February 21, 2012 at 08:28

[…] Richard Nikoley of Free The Animal on medium chain triglycerides, plus a smoothie recipe! […]

61. […] I have the same username on MFP too. I find I have to track or I under or overeat… stupid years of getting fat then years of dieting and also always being bloated meaning that I have bad habits of eating past the full feeling…my inner caloric balancing ability is broken lol. Eat more, eat more. You aren't likely to put on fat, you are a fat burning machine obviously. Maybe you need to make yourself some fat bomb shakes, lol…Fat Bomb Smoothie: The Ultimate "Energy Drink" | Free The Animal […]

62. low carb convenient breakfasts ? on May 24, 2012 at 06:59

[…] Liquid Fat bomb for the win! Fat Bomb Smoothie: The Ultimate "Energy Drink" | Free The Animal Or my version Kara choc coconut milk 4 raw eggs (or yolks if you're worried about avidin) 2 […]