Real Results Video Interview: Timothy Zork – 80 Pounds Lost

This is something new. It’s for the masses; knowing, as you do, how much I’m all about the downtrodden, helpless and disadvantaged.

But enough about them. We’re here to check out the life & times of one 28-yr-old Timothy Zork: basically a fat boy since he was a kid. Yea, he was “that fat kid” who, if you’re anywhere near my age, you’ll remember as one of those few & far betweens and either, they found ways to compensate in terms of intelligence & humor, or they turned inward miserably. What an opportunity for video game manufacturers once the tech came available!

Which one was Timothy? You’ll have to see and hear for yourself, if you can spare 15 minutes to listen to…not a scientist or book author or even blogger who has originated, written about and promoted a paleo, Primal, Evolutionary way of life…but for once, from a “regular guy” who benefitted and got Real Results.

I went out last night to buy a new pair of jeans – size 34 – and I literally could not remember the last time I was wearing pants that size; 5th, maybe 6th grade? It felt great. I’ve been fat most of my life; unhappy, uncomfortable, and insecure. I was raised as a vegetarian and spent most of my life eating lots of soy, grains, and processed vegetarian “foods” made out of gluten. I don’t blame my parents; they were making what they thought were the best decisions they could. Despite this “healthy” diet, I grew up as a fat kid. I can’t blame it entirely on the fact that I was a vegetarian; it was a complex mix of genetic, emotional, and dietary factors, but by college I was tipping the scales at around 285 pounds.

On trying conventional wisdom.

Why bother being hungry all the time I was wasn’t even seeing results? It just wasn’t worth it. I did a pretty good job maintaining my 250, I was proud of the fact that all of the pants I bought before starting my job still fit me 3 years later, even if I had crept up a few pounds.

And how about the girls? How was that, being fat? You’ll have to see the interview to find out.

I stumbled into paleo by accident. I had been listening to a lot of programs on Dan Benjamin’s 5by5 podcast network, and heard him mention “Paleo” in passing a few times. I’d never heard of it before and didn’t think much about it, but eventually he picked up Angelo Coppola’s podcast “Latest in Paleo” and I started listening in earnest. I was a little skeptical at first, but the more I listened the more it made sense. It was hard to argue with science, history, and the shear number of amazing results that other people had.

Screen Shot 2011 08 20 at 1 35 44 PM
Timothy Zork

There are other before pics spliced into the video, but you’l have to watch and see.

I think this sort of media has a chance to draw in new folks to the paleo / Primal experience as nothing else. You can help in that by clicking the Recommend button at the top of the post for Facebook, Tweet or reTweet, and perhaps most valuable of all, please consider giving the video a “Thumbs Up” on YouTube.

~~~

Alright, this was the first attempt at this, and I hope to improve the production value over time. There was an audio issue on my end towards the end and I apologize for that, but Timothy is doing most of the talking anyway.

So here’s what I’d like to do. I’d like to put one of these up every couple of weeks or so, featuring those of you who have achieved Real Results. I’m looking for impressive results, and it needs to be on a “Paleoish” or “Primalish” regime. This blog could have played a role, but not necessary and I will be happy to highlight and link to whomever it was that got you started…so you other bloggers, feel free also to email your reader success stories (with their permission, or entice them to do so) and you’ll get the credit for starting them on their path.

Email before & after pics and your stories to my email on my About page.

As a final note, we’ll be keeping all interviews to 15 minutes or less, so that you’re more likely to take the time to watch & listen and so that they can go up on YouTube for the additional views that will bring, resulting in more exposure for paleo and Primal.

1. Lute Nikoley on August 22, 2011 at 11:59

Concratulations to Timothy, well done. I recently had a discussion with a person, where I indicated that one of the best methods of loosing weight is to drop grains from your diet, among many other things and eat real food, i.e. paleo. I was shouted at, told that we are a cult, that I am fat (lost 40 lbs.) went from size 38 pants to 34, Xlrg. shirts to medium. I am at 170 to 175 he’s over 200. It’s amazing how agry the naysayers get when you talk to them about something that works for me.

Well, I could go on and on, but then I would be ranting.

2. Garth Whelan on August 22, 2011 at 12:25

It’s funny, you seem like such a nice guy in video.

• Richard Nikoley on August 22, 2011 at 12:29

Ha. Good Laf. I live and love my life in many contexts. Routine makes for boring.

3. Angelo on August 22, 2011 at 12:56

You mean this stuff actually works? What an awesome testimonial, and I couldn’t be happier that his intro to Paleo was through the show.

These two quotes from Timothy say it all:

“Now that I know what it feels like to be amazing, I could never live without feeling amazing ever again in my life.”

“You’re willing to give up your health, but you’re not willing to give up bagels?”

• Richard Nikoley on August 22, 2011 at 13:39

Amen Angelo and I loved putting up that pic of him in the forest. That was inspirational to me, and I hope a few others see it.

• Lute Nikoley on August 22, 2011 at 13:49

Amen, Ditto.

4. Remnant on August 22, 2011 at 19:58

Richard has mentioned this before in other contexts but it is worth repeating here as it is what struck me the most: the facial transformation is simply amazing.

It’s not simply that he looks different; it’s that he now looks like who he is, and was always, supposed to be. This is the person who was waiting to emerge from the disfunctional metobolism that was there before.

Great story; looking forward to more videos.

• Lute Nikoley on August 22, 2011 at 20:21

Remnant, you’re absolutely right about that. And we can show people the proof and they still object, because they would have to give up their easy breakfast cereals, donuts, bread and cake, and they just can’t stand to do that and argue that people have been eating grains for years. So what, if not eating them makes you healthier. And of course for a lot of Christians, even the back slidden ones object to the paleo, primal and ancestral names. I really find that stupid, even as a conservative Christian. Good health is important, and the more people like Timothy come forward give their testimony, the better.

5. Timothy on August 23, 2011 at 05:08

Richard, thanks for taking the time to produce this and put it on your site. Since linking to it, I’ve already gotten a bunch of emails from friends asking for more details about Paleo and even a note from a co-worker who said they’ve been eating Paleo for the past two weeks after seeing the changes in my life. After going Paleo, I soon discovered that telling people about it was proving futile. No matter how much I talked about the scientific background and the common sense applications based in human evolution, I mostly got jokes back. Now I mostly get lots of comments about how great I look.

It’s easy to laugh at “cavemen”, but it’s hard to ignore real results.

• Richard Nikoley on August 23, 2011 at 07:10

The power os teaching by example, Timothy.

6. Chris Tamme on August 23, 2011 at 19:17

Awesome story. Nothing motivates people more then these before and afters.

7. Banksy on August 23, 2011 at 05:34

Anyone who talks about the science of paleo must not be familiar with actual science.

• Richard Nikoley on August 23, 2011 at 07:14

….such as this host of PhDs and MDs recently at an Ancestral/Paleo Health symposium on the UCLA campus.

Nope, no “actual science” there.

• Chris Tamme on August 23, 2011 at 19:15

Unless you are the real Banksy then you are merely a wanna be poser. Go pretend somewhere people might possibly believe you.

• Aaron Curl on August 23, 2011 at 05:35

Please share.

8. Aaron Curl on August 23, 2011 at 05:35

Congratulations Timothy! It took me a long time to realize that most people want to sacrifice their health to keep eating frankenfoods. In their heads they believe 100% in the failing system of government, religion and media. It took me, however a couple of months to see right through the conspiracy which is the world we live in. Good luck and have fun with your new super healthy body!

9. rob on August 23, 2011 at 05:51

Fear is a big impediment to eating foods that are actually good for you (in the sense that they result in your looking, feeling and moving the way you would really like to), people have been conditioned like lab rats for several decades, when they tell you that you look great and you tell them how you did it, the message just doesn’t get through to them. “I try to get most of my calories from animal flesh” and “Whole grains? I avoid them like the plague” just don’t compute.

10. Mallory on August 23, 2011 at 09:53

would you still recommend the same treatment for acid reflux. i tried to comment in the post but theres no comment thing on. i am waking up every night at 3am hacking up an uncontrollable storm.

• Richard Nikoley on August 23, 2011 at 09:53

Yes, I would.

• Lute Nikoley on August 23, 2011 at 11:39

I would too. I was on them for 20+ years. Went of off them cold turkey, with no more heart burn after going paleo. Occasionally I will get it, but only when I overdo it with crappy food or too much adult beverage.

• Jasen on August 24, 2011 at 11:22

My stupid doctor whom I recently fired suggested Prilosec for my acid reflux. I took it for about 2 weeks and then discovered Paleo. Since I began eating Paleo I NEVER get acid reflux.

11. Keith Thomas on August 23, 2011 at 14:52

Without taking away anything from Timothy’s wonderful story, I would hope “palaeo” didn’t get typecast as a cure for obesity. I don’t see Palaeo living as a cure for any particular pathology, just the best possible way of maintaining good health (and – in many cases, but not all – establishing good health if you don’t already have it). I would also hope that the Palaeo perspective encourages us to look at aspects of our lives and societal arrangements that act to circumscribe our adoption of a Palaeo lifestyle and to work to reduce those constraints in ways appropriate to the resources we have available.

• Richard Nikoley on August 23, 2011 at 15:05

Way too fucking long since I saw you in comments, Sir Keith.

Yea, I agree, but at the same time I think weight loss and life back — and do not discount the sexual pride spect which I hope was gently implicit — is simply baggage of failure that someone might want to deal with.

And I’m a bit willing.

I’m a total sucker for seeing a guy or gal get their life back and to put it as primal of terms possible, stand proud, naked in front of another person they love, or, just want to play with.

• Timothy on August 23, 2011 at 15:07

Keith, thanks for bringing this up. While I’m very excited about my dramatic weight loss, through-out the process I have been very adamant about telling people that Paleo is a not a “diet” I am on (implying I might some day be “off” it), but it is a paradigm for living that includes all of the aspects you’ve mentioned. In order to grab the attention of people who would not otherwise be aware of Paleo, it is helpful to have great stories to share.

I wouldn’t classify Paleo as a cure for obesity. Paleo – and specifically Richard’s focus, which I found very appealing – is a cure for not being human. The fact that I’m thin now is merely a side effect of being a fully functional human being.

• Richard Nikoley on August 23, 2011 at 15:11

Wild animals are not obese, ever, unless genetically programmed to be so, such as a bear going into hibernation, which I have heard, I’d roughly t2 diabetic. The problem with humans is they don’t lay down to sleep for 5 months.

• Timothy on August 23, 2011 at 15:13

Yeah, I like to say that humans (well, “modern” humans) are the only species that don’t look like their picture.

• becky yo! on August 24, 2011 at 12:00

I tell people I changed my way of eating because I wanted to be healthy as an older person (I’m 42 now.) Fitting into and looking good in a pair of “skinny jeans” is just a bonus.

• Dave, RN on August 25, 2011 at 11:24

At my Crossfit box yesterday my age was guessed at mid-late 30’s. I’m 51.
        Thank you Real Food.

• Keith Thomas on August 28, 2011 at 04:41

That’s a fantastic reply, Timothy. Thanks!

12. Subba Rao on August 24, 2011 at 01:09

Thanks for sharing Richard and Timothy. Good inspiration 🙂

13. Cathy on August 24, 2011 at 06:52

Since I started eating this way about six months ago, and have lost about 30 pounds, it amazes me to look around and see all the fat people. Once you start being aware of it, you realize just how many people here in the US are overweight. It’s actually rare to see someone who isn’t, and is over 30.

14. BabyGirl on August 24, 2011 at 11:01

Hi Richard, thought you might enjoy the pro-coconut oil article about model Miranda Kerr.

• Richard Nikoley on August 24, 2011 at 16:08

Not half as much as I enjoyed the photo of Miranda Kerr.

• Sean on August 25, 2011 at 03:04

Of course they had to include the ritually obligatory caveat:

But experts, including the World Health Organization, have warned against drinking too much coconut oil as it contains high levels of saturated fat and calories – a 15g tablespoon contains around 135.

Professor Mike Gordon, a food chemist at Reading University, said: ‘Coconut is 50 per cent made up of a fatty acid called lauric acid which if consumed to excess can contribute to increased risk of coronary heart disease.

Oh noes! The MCTs are gonna clog your arteries! The WHO and a food chemist at Reading say so! Dare not question the experts! Blah blah blah…

• Aaron Curl on August 25, 2011 at 06:23

I am going to start eating coconut oil to pick up women like her…..is this how the oil works?

• Sean on August 25, 2011 at 11:02

I think coconut oil is a good addition to any strength training regimen, Aaron. Just remember to bend the knees and keep your core stable when lifting them.

• Seby Andrew on September 6, 2011 at 04:31

You son-of-a-gun!

15. Noah on August 25, 2011 at 13:22

Hey Richard,
    You’ve been all nice to Don “Primal Wisdom” Matesz regarding his “Farewell to Paleo”. And I think you suggested that his differences are more along the lines of nuances rather some complete flip flop. On his blog however (in the comments) he’s talked about the virtues of ultra-low fat diets for heart health ala Keyes and Ornish. I listened to Don on Jimmy Moore’s show he other day and his real reason for the flip was (in the background) apparent. That must be some good pussy to so publicly get all squishy.

16. Friday Odds & Ends | Free The Animal on August 26, 2011 at 10:26

[…] Subscribe ← Real Results Video Interview: Timothy Zork – 80 Pounds Lost […]

17. Alexander on August 27, 2011 at 13:04

Amazing!

I lost about 30 Pounds when started to eat paleo!

18. […] Results, Success Video Interviews TweetAfter watching my interview last week with Timothy Zork, who lost 80 pounds by "going Paleo," Chris decided he wanted to be next on the list and immediately emailed me and we set things […]

19. Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station | Scruffy Looking on September 4, 2011 at 11:02

[…] improvements to share as we make it “our” space. We’re also loving living Paleo (click here to see how famous Tim is) and want to be an inspiration to others considering living a healthier, more sustainable […]

20. Dinos in the District | Scruffy Looking on October 1, 2011 at 19:55

[…] I EAT SO WELL. Tim and I have amazing delicious food all the time. We’ve both lost weight, Tim an incredible amount, and have more energy for our daily lives. I’m currently weight stable at a weight I […]