The Bullshit Archives

It’s reasonably clear to me that I have a good turnover in readers.

I should expect that. I do expect that. While there are always those few who send me emails, letting me know that they’ve been loyal readers since even the pre-paleo days, even before I made this place exclusively paleo friendly, there are hundreds upon hundreds per month who get here via Google, links form other blogs, or whatever, and soon decide that I am not for them. Some stick around and stats stay about the same.

I’ll never do “The 10 ways to [insert bullshit]” posts. Ever.

What I will always do is, number one, celebrate success and, number two, dump a pile of smelly shit on those holding you back.

From the archives, my BULLSHIT! series. I tried to redo these, get ’em on YouTube, but for some reason, the video and audio is a couple of seconds out of sync, even if I go back to the original import in iMovie. Well, I wish Steve well anyway. I’ll just use the original Vimeo renderings.

I’m posting this because I’m going to be reviving the series. I still have the original batteries in the BULLSHIT horn and the warning light still blinks. If you remember, here’s a revisit, if you want. And if you’re new, here’s how ‘debaucherous’ it can get around here.

Bullshit #1 from Richard Nikoley on Vimeo.

BULLSHIT! from Richard Nikoley on Vimeo.

I know I’ve disappointed so many of you in the past, but I’m just not good at giving head to a fire hose. I got overwhelmed and so did nothing. But I have been reengineering my work life of late and BULLSHIT! is really one of the things I’m passionate about reviving.

So send me your BULLSHIT!

1. R Dunn on September 9, 2011 at 17:51

I check in regularly. But I’m kinda the guy who can sit in the back of the class or room for weeks without saying anything. Then suddenly I’ll blurt something out. Probably should keep my mouth shut.

2. Jill on September 9, 2011 at 15:07

what up dude?

before I watch your vids… let me just say, I know I don’t really comment. I’ll make more of an effort…so you know I’m checking your page… I think i’ve only been subscribed to you for a month or so?? you’re one cool ass man! 😀

ok, i’m clicking play and will comment as I watch:
    VIDEO 1:

rotini is pasta I think…. my fiance’s doctor said he needs more grains. bullshit!!! gluten and grains give me the shits. just sayin’

HOLY CRAP!! Your horn is hilarious!!

I didn’t read that book skinny bitch…I read the 1st paragraph and the back. I read some reviews. I don’t know if it’s crap or not. but it seemed that way to me. and OH MY GOD …..THATS THE BITCH who feeds her dogs the vegan diet???????? I HEARD THAT!! I commented on beingprimal.com’s page about that!! Oh her dogs are soooooooOOOooo gonna eat her!!

Side Note: I’m not in to the scotch….Love my tequila. My fiance’s uncle makes his tequila from a factory in mexico. Got some 25/30 yr old bottles hanging on my wine rack. mmmm..

hmm, ok. I think I read this once somewhere. don’t the people who write the food guidelines work for or are represented by the Dept of Agriculture?

VIDEO 2:
    why do people call primal a fad??? I really don’t see how it’s a fad. all natural, not chemically/genetically altered foods, non processed, grass fed meat, free range chickens, wild caught fish…. how is that a fad?? Richard, I’m seriously wondering why? I would classify veganism as a fad before Primal. why isn’t weight watchers called a fad??

don’t vegans eliminate entire food groups? yeah, I agree. grains are a starvation food. I don’t think I could ever live off grains. yes, this diet is SOOO easy to maintain!! the hardest part for me is learning to budget my grocery list. but it can be done!! I make out a menu to help. gonna start posting that on my own blog – to help me stay on track.

man, I’m really picking on the vegans aren’t I???

Jill 🙂

3. Chris on September 9, 2011 at 15:32

Well I’m proud to have been your first bullshit – the gluten makes you fat story. And I’m a pre Free the animal reader, just been quiet as I’ve been busy. Keep it up sir, keep flinging the bullshit.

4. Daniel Kirsner on September 9, 2011 at 15:34
  5. Matthew Miller on September 9, 2011 at 15:52

You should so do a “top 10 smelliest pieces of bullshit” post!

6. Dean on September 9, 2011 at 18:50

Looking forward to more bullshit, YES!

7. Skyler Tanner on September 9, 2011 at 19:49

I leave for 3 minutes and I come back to nothing but bullshit.

8. BabyGirl on September 9, 2011 at 20:22

I like reading your informative posts. But I never have time to watch the videos.

9. Emma on September 10, 2011 at 01:29

Been a long time reader but always lurker – I’ll break my silence to say the reason I stick around is your ‘voice,’ the way you deliver interesting thoughts and information with your personality (which I like) coming through. These videos are as great as your written stuff!

• Richard Nikoley on September 10, 2011 at 09:56

Thanks Emma. Very nice of you to say.

10. Ben on September 10, 2011 at 01:48

“I’ll never do “The 10 ways to [insert bullshit]” posts. Ever.”

Thank you. I hate those.

11. Sharon on September 10, 2011 at 06:40

I kinda like bull. But this is only my second time on da blog mobile.

12. angelyne on September 10, 2011 at 09:14

I know it’s accidental, but I loved the way your head appeared to “pop out” of the frame in the first video. Hilarious.

Good rant. Good thing you are on a paleo diet, otherwise I’d worry about your blood pressure.

13. Jeff on September 10, 2011 at 09:24

For some reason the video stopped on me at the 5:17 minute mark?

14. Lute Nikoley on September 10, 2011 at 10:55

Been a reader since the very first blog you, when I asked you “what the hell is a blog?” Haven’t missed reading any since.

15. […] didn’t listen to all of Richard Nikoley’s b____t videos, but according to the transcript, he predicted that dogs fed a vegan diet would eat their owner. […]

16. Jeff Monson on September 10, 2011 at 12:07

You seem to thrive on internet praise and you post in a manner designed to get people to praise you. I come by about twice/week. Not a bad blog. Not great; not bad.

• Richard Nikoley on September 10, 2011 at 12:35

You’re pretty shallow, Jeff.

If you were as smart as me, you’d have learned that one thrives equally well on both love & hate, i.e., some level of passion. Everything I do is geared toward avoiding indifference.

I fail with many, including you, but I never really care about those.

• Jeff Monson on September 10, 2011 at 17:48

Damned right I’m shallow, though I’m amazed at your perspicuity.

You certainly haven’t failed by me. Don’t be so hasty to leap to conclusions. Just because I don’t rate your blog as great (or even particularly good) doesn’t you’ve failed by me.

“Everything I do is geared toward avoiding indifference.”

You actually gear your actions according to that criterion? You failure.

• Richard Nikoley on September 10, 2011 at 18:20

Just go fuck off and quit wasting my time.

If FTA isn’t great for you, I’m sure there are plenty that are for you, so quit pretending
      Ike you’re doing me a favor. Piss off.

Go fuck yourself. All the day long is fine with me.

• Jeff Monson on September 11, 2011 at 08:19

Your blog is not great. Accept it. It’s certainly not bad.

I don’t hate you. I don’t hate anyone. It’s all going to be okay.

I read your blog enough to know that some guy you pretended to brush off made a passing comment about how stupid your profile picture looked and then… voila!… your profile picture changed. Stop putting on an act. It’s okay that you care what we anonymous jackasses think.

It’s pretty clear that you want people to come on here and praise you. That’s okay. Don’t be so upset about it. You’re coming across as someone who is very harsh on himself. You don’t need to be.

• Richard Nikoley on September 11, 2011 at 09:05

“Your blog is not great.”

This is really the crux of the matter. You seem to think of yourself as the absolute and final arbiter for everyone else.

It particularly silly when you spout out about it in public.

And how odd that in changing my profile pic at least a dozen times since this blog began in 1993 that in one of those times it would happen to correspond with some negative comments somewhere. Other than the guy going around diagnosing people over the Internet with edema, I have no idea what you’re talking about.

• Jared on September 10, 2011 at 21:27

Maybe that’s why I keep coming back to your website even though every time I do I think “What an asshole.” I mean, often you come off like a twenty-something hot-head who is just barely figuring out his place in the world.

I’m sure you’re a cool guy to know, but your writing style and online attitude are very much the opposite of what I find appealing. So it’s pretty impressive that I still come back regularly. Well done. It must be more than the consistent updates and how interested I am in the topic?

And how passionate you are has gotten me to take some time and respond, so again, keep up the good work.

• Richard Nikoley on September 10, 2011 at 22:30

It’s really pretty simple, Jared. I just wait until I see something I can get passionate of excited about, write or do a video, and that’s pretty much it. I never try and hide the fact that I’m going to put some people or even a lot of people off. To some extent I care about that, but not so much as I care about being just doing what I do.

• Richard Nikoley on September 10, 2011 at 22:34

Oh, also, as a 50-yr-old, you have no idea what a compliment you paid me with that 20-something remark.

I’m shooting for getting the same sort of “insult” at 70.

• Jeff Monson on September 11, 2011 at 08:20

It’s okay to be wherever you are. Longing for times past or some state of being that doesn’t reflect reality can sometimes create dissension within ourselves.

Maybe not the proper time and place to share this, but one never knows.

• Richard Nikoley on September 11, 2011 at 09:08

I guess armchair psychologist is another of your silly traits. I do — and so does my wife — get a kick out of how something people just think they know all about me from blog posts and a handful of videos.

• Tanakka on September 12, 2011 at 00:41

Jeff Monson the snowman, perhaps?

17. Mallory on September 11, 2011 at 08:50

i stick around because your funny as hell haha

18. Aaron Ashmann on September 11, 2011 at 14:00

I love the unintended 3d effect caused by your white ceiling!

• Richard Nikoley on September 11, 2011 at 14:04

Aaron, many have mentioned that since originally doing the post over a year ago. Honest to Jesus is was a total accident.

19. Jill on September 12, 2011 at 12:18

damn. I just happened to read the comments….. people love ya or don’t and still they come!

• Richard Nikoley on September 12, 2011 at 12:27

That’s the idea, Jill. Love and hate are two sides of the same coin.

It’s the indifferent who find someplace else.

20. Juan on September 12, 2011 at 17:58

Jebus Cripes I enjoy this blog! Thanks Richard and all commentors, too; assholes and trolls alike. (I’ve been away for a while. My bad.)
    Just wanted to share that.
    Juan

21. Morning Links | The Primal Challenge on September 14, 2011 at 04:02

[…] posts The Bullshit […]

22. "The Animal Club" | Free The Animal on January 19, 2012 at 15:41

[…] So, yea, I plan to have co-hosts from the membership—maybe even members as exclusive hosts, sometimes. And I plan to bring in special guests, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 of the shows. It'll have some sort of format, like a monologue in the beginning, otherwise known as BULLSHIT!. […]