Mother Says “You’ll Always Be Baby To Me”

Are we actually, already living the dystopia?

Mother do you think they’ll drop the bomb?
Mother do you think they’ll like this song?
Mother do you think they’ll try to break my balls?
Mother should I build a wall?
Mother should I run for President?
Mother should I trust the government?
Mother will they put me in the firing line?
Is it just a waste of time?
Hush now baby, baby, don’t you cry
Momma’s gonna make all of your nightmares come true
Momma’s gonna put all of her fears into you
Momma’s gonna keep you right here under her wing
She won’t let you fly but she might let you sing
Momma will keep Baby cozy and warm
Oooo Babe Oooo Babe Ooo Babe
Of course Momma’s gonna help build the wall
Mother do you think she’s good enough
For me?
Mother do you think she’s dangerous
To me?
Mother will she tear your little boy apart?
Mother will she break my heart?
Hush now baby, baby, don’t you cry
Momma’s gonna check out all your girlfriends for you
Momma won’t let anyone dirty get through
Momma’s gonna wait up until you get in
Momma will always find out where you’ve been
Momma’s gonna keep Baby healthy and clean
Oooo Babe Oooo Babe Ooo Babe
You’ll always be Baby to me
Mother did it need to be so high?

One particular way in which we differ from the rest of the animal kingdom is that we can’t get over the idea of mother, nor dependance on her. So far as I know, that’s completely foreign to all other animals that must learn to kill for and thrive themselves and not count on mommy to do it.

Yea; I know. You left home. You got an education and a job, started your own family…and mother for most well adjusted folks is that special person to whom you give a card & flowers once a year, speak with on the phone often…and, oh yea: now she’s your Facebook friend. If you have a blog, perhaps she reads it and learns way more about you than you’re comfortable with.

I’m not sure how much of those lyrics were literal for Roger Waters, but no matter. In the context of The Wall, they’re clearly metaphorical to me, as is the whole of the opera. Add to that the video play and illustrative imagery of the film, and it’s a cornucopia of integrated meaning in intersecting contexts far & wide.

So while the well adjusted and mature among us pat ourselves on the back for our independence from the umbilical cord writ over 18 years (well, mid-20s, nowadays; if that), the reality is that we’ve taken “social animal” to heights of absurdity in an evolutionary context, where we could brave an ice age on the figurative backs of a few dozen others.

Now, survival requires guaranteed prosperity, a “living” wage, equal opportunity, affirmative discrimination, occupational health, safety and pacifiers, equal pay for equal work, making damn sure every last wage earner rises past their own level of incompetence, and never having to suffer being dissed.

But absurdity reaches new heights, sometimes. I suppose it’s healthy to push boundaries, but even if those boundaries constitute an almost literal return to dependent infancy?

Yea, I’m having a hard time reconciling the Occupy Wall Street spectacle, and derivatives (now there’s a clever reference). And yea, no doubt inadvertent exposure to this morass of mostly incoherent, ignorant and whinny balderdash is base motivation for this post. But really, it’s truly a life-is-stranger-than-fiction moment for me and no, you certainly couldn’t make this stuff up. Here’s an LA School District employee who wants to round up all the “Zionists.” Reason TV was at OWS and when they could even get a question answered in a passably coherent manner, it was still bullshit most of the time. This little mommy’s boy wants you to “throw him a bone” and pay for his tuition (I guess his real mommy has had enough). For those who like Howard Stern, his treatment is brutal, typical, deliciously devastating. And to really wrap it up: Michael Coren & Charles Cook: Most Occupy Wall St. Protesters Are Morons.

I think there’s a root problem here that goes beyond a simple lazy, incompetent, moron paradigm. Unreasonable Expectations. And I think mass social media feeds it. There’s no such thing as isolation, anymore; and moreover, everybody wants to know everybody’s business and everybody wants everyone to know there’s. Tired of seeing your Facebook friends and Tweeps doing things in a constant stream you can only hope for? Occupy Wall Street. Or maybe not. I would expect to be told that this train left the station a long time ago. The New Deal? Well, OK, but the premises for the notion that everyone really could live at the expense of everyone else had to have been set in place long before.

…But whatever.

So let’s hear the song, then I’ll have a bit more to say. This is from 1980, live; and as an aside, I was surprised to see how pudgy David Gilmour was already, given his Brad Pitt-esque looks in the Echoes and other recordings for the Pompeii video (which I own and it’s fantastic).

I’m going to do another version just because I can’t get enough of it. This is Sinead O’Conner with Roger Waters a few years back. Get a load of it, with an accordion, even, and some unusual backup singers. Pure gold. I’ve always loved Sinead. Have owned her first two albums from day one. And I love her buzz cut. She has what I might describe as a “meta-vissage” for a human white woman. Simply no need to hide or detract from that pure, natural, simple beauty with a head of hair.

There’s an element, at least, to the Morons on Wall Street that’s transcendent, which is simply that they’ll individually, in myriad ways, transcend. More than a few will face financial and social costs for their time away from productive living that overshadows any sense of beef or even consequences they have with “the system” right now.

Young, dumb, and idealistic. That’s not all bad. People learn, they change, they educate. And so in the end, the Wall Street crowd is harmless. They might even become endearing. What they don’t understand is that the source of their perceived ills is not really the government or its mega-corporate bedfellows, but their neighbors who live in fear and trepidation of potentially not having the everyone-pays-my-way option, and that everyone’s desire to live at the expense of everyone else if it should come to that is at the root of everything they’re complaining about.

Misguided, but hold onto that sense of idealism, moron and ignorant as it is. It can be channeled elsewhere, eventually. Hopefully.

Making pains to not be misunderstood, I agree the system is corrupt beyond repair. Difference is, I think reform is rather hopeless, at least in my lifetime. And so rather than agitate on some basis of collective action, I choose to motivate and hopefully inspire: one mind at a time. Every single person has the ability to begin the process of curtailing and eventually eliminating their dependence on a mass collective of mutual servitude today. And I know that hundreds, if not thousands, of my readers are already on track for that.

In the end, the message of The Wall is: No!Mother did it need to be so high?” The Wall is a metaphor for isolation, alienation, separation, self-protection. It didn’t need to be so high: alienation and isolation breed more of the same.

No, you needn’t and shouldn’t “build a wall.” What you can do is build a micro community where you live and with the people most important to you. If you work at it, you just may discover that you have a “safety net” after all.

It’s nothing like Mother.

1. John on October 22, 2011 at 20:37

You forgot:

Danzig – Mother

• Richard Nikoley on October 22, 2011 at 20:43

Oh Puleeze.

Just because it’s of the same title means nothing. I know the song, but it’s a get drunk & fuck song. That’s fine, but non-sequitur for this post.

• John on October 22, 2011 at 21:50

I was posting in the /humor/ tone, brother.

• Richard Nikoley on October 22, 2011 at 22:34

Relief.

2. Tyler on October 22, 2011 at 17:59

Though it seems like many of them are pretty retarded, there is one central theme/cause: they’re all pissed off. While I don’t think anything at all will come of the protests, there is something to be gleaned from it: something is wrong. I think a lot of these people just don’t know how to be successful, plan for the future, spend responsibly, or whatever. Perhaps it’s a signal that something is wrong elsewhere in our society?

This, by the way, is the point when you insert whatever you don’t like about things as they are and blame that for all of the problems with our society.

• Richard Nikoley on October 22, 2011 at 18:47

Yep, Tyler. It’s almost third world in proportions. By which I mean that there are far more problems than despotic cleptocracy. Neither do I expect dissidents to necessarily be smart.

But I take your main point. They don’t know precisely why, but they’re pissed. I also realize that it’s far too much to hope for that such things be intelligent and principled. History doesn’t really turn that way. At least not yet.

• Johanna on October 23, 2011 at 09:15

I lost a friendship over this “occupy wall street” business. I think there needs to be accountability, but I don’t think hanging out all weekend at the court house will get anything done. I have a friend who told me that I HAD to attend and if I didn’t I was just “one of them.” He believes that everything is a fight, from where we do our banking, to what we eat. He spends his day online feeding his paranoia. It is not healthy mentally or physically.Where am I? Working, trying to figure out how to get through my own daily life and participating in the world as I know it. From where I stand and from what I see, the dissidents that I see are people who want something for nothing, expect everyone else to do the work for them, and are in need of a shower.

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 09:42

It’s a jungle out there, Johanna and you are wise to make sure you’re up to the task of dealing with it.

Good for you.

• Johanna on October 23, 2011 at 09:56

Like you said, “What you can do is build [a] micro community where you live and with the people most important to you.” The way I see it is that you need to be careful who is in your “bubble” with you. You have a choice who is there and how you want your micro community to progress. When things get rough, it is easy to see who should be closest to you and who is “deletable” (a FB reference…lol). I think too many times we waste energy and time on people and things that are toxic. I know that I have done it too many times. But, we can all learn from our mistakes.

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 10:13

Indeed. You don’t pick your family but you can pick your friends. My policy has always been to be very careful about who in my family I associate with.

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 10:50

And thanks for catching the omitted ‘a’ which has been fixed.

3. Daniel on October 22, 2011 at 18:03

Nice post, Richard. We are living in the dystopia. I’ve kinda been putting this out there for a while, but it never gets old repeating it: without Death creeping over our shoulders, we become pure, base, pieces of shit. Death was the original morality; it forces us to get along, work together and forge real lasting relationships on mutual survival instead of a mutual, “what can I get outta this motherfucker,” kinda ethic. That’s what this is really all about. Once civilization took hold and our population exploded, it was too easy to live and people got lazy, stupid, and weak on several levels. Death is the real equalizer and a hunter gatherer, predatory lifestyle is the only one that reflects our true natures. That’s why religion sucks, government sucks, systems and isms suck. They are symptoms, not soulutions. But you already know this. 🙂 again, nice post. Pink Floyd is great whether you’re stoned or not!

• JLL on October 23, 2011 at 03:07

Oh, so without death there are no moral values? Get real, kid.

• Daniel on October 23, 2011 at 07:28

What are some sort of jesus freak? Get out of your own head. Kid…

• JLL on October 24, 2011 at 04:00

Your thinking is backwards.

If death is what makes us work together and be nice to each other, then the shorter the lifespan, the better the world. That’s absurd.

People work together for a multitude of reasons, but knowing that they’re going to die is not one of them.

Oh, and I’m a life extensionist, not a “jesus freak”.

4. Theodore on October 22, 2011 at 19:03

I agree with you, Richard, that any change must be long term and it must come from how people think and act. Throughout this whole movement, I have been wondering what the end goal is. After watching some videos, it seems as though a lot of people there want the government and wall street to do things, i.e. fix the problems for them, thereby further indenturing the population to the power of the 1%. It seems rather strange to have such high demands for the power being given back to the people by simply asking nicely. Do they really think that anything significant is going to change short of an actual majority of people protesting, essentially striking the economy? Stop begging and do some shit yourselves. Be the change you want.

5. Dan Linehan on October 22, 2011 at 22:58

Unreasonable expectations. Also known as ‘entitlement.’

It’s an issue for sure. I’m not saying it’s not. Over the years, I’ve been blown away at how entitled people acted at various jobs. Time and time again.

That being said, how unreasonable is it to want a fair wage? Enough money to buy an acre or two of land? To not be saddled with generational debt? An end to government / corporate collusion?

Is wanting free higher education really *unreasonable* when so many other countries offer it?

I disagree with a lot of what OWS pushes, but they do have the right to advocate for the social changes they want to see..

Although quiet self-sufficiency will always trump loud protesting in the end, OWS might be a step in the right direction for many of these younger people. It’s sort of agorism in action, if you think about it.

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 11:41

“how unreasonable is it to want a fair wage?”

Not unreasonable at all. It’s not unreasonable to want to be worth upward of a billion dollars, either.

The difference is, everyone understands you’re on your own for the latter. Everyone gets stupid when it comes to the former.

6. noa on October 23, 2011 at 00:37

Dan,

There is no such thing as a free meal. The places that have free higher education also have higher taxes. But I agree with you. I believe that it serves society as a whole to offer education and health care to its population. You can give people easy access to education or you can spend A LOT more money on cops and law enforcement trying to combat the crime that results from not doing it.

7. Txomin on October 23, 2011 at 01:37

Listen, Richard, I respect your intelligence and bravado. However, I must tell you that your insistence on what makes humans different from other animals rests on very little. Our understanding of animal cognition is extremely limited and one can claim anything on this subject, especially when it is done in order to trumpet whatever real or imaginary characteristic of humans.

I don’t know what mental masturbation got you on the non-human animal but it is evident that it makes sense to you somehow. I am just trying to warn you that it is a slippery slop. Cognitive comparisons with other sentient creatures should be done with utmost caution. We just don’t know enough. Simply take a trip down the morphology of the vertebrate brain and you will be surprised… the main components as well as the relationships among them are alike no matter how different the critter.

Just saying. Keep it up. You are one of the greatest around.

• Sean on October 23, 2011 at 02:58

It all just boils down to the moral imperative foreating fat koalas.

• Txomin on October 23, 2011 at 03:17

No, it doesn’t boil down to that. It is funny (in a way) but that’s not the point.

I enjoy your blog, btw.

• Sean on October 23, 2011 at 10:53

Ah, thanks.

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 11:52

“I must tell you that your insistence on what makes humans different from other animals rests on very little.”

“Cognitive comparisons with other sentient creatures should be done with utmost caution.”

Uh, my post is about simple behavioral observation. Now, I stated my premise in general and even said, “as far as I know,” welcoming, of course, any example of animals that are sustained by mother far beyond the natural order. But you didn’t give one.

I have to wonder if you misunderstand. I’m not trying to be a scientist, nor a layman blogger of science and its general implications. Rather, I try to create the widest integrations and generalizations possible that might hold up to “I get it” scrutiny. I understand the risk, and I’m perfectly willing to get a spanking. I have zero fear of being wrong, or even acutely stupid. I want to push boundaries of social conditioning. That simple.

I didn’t note implicit understanding of the post, so let me make it explicit: mother is a metaphor.

• Txomin on October 23, 2011 at 20:24

No, my comment was not about this post in particular. I have noticed this human/non-human distinction in your posts before and I thought I would bring it up. I’m not trying to spank you. Far from it. You are an intelligent guy and you make an effort. I just think that you are putting too much weight on an, ultimately, untraceable and (in any case) irrelevant issue. In other words, the hypothesis might seem to provide answers but, in truth, it simply produces more questions.

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 21:43

You’re welcome to think that. The title and theme of the blog is free the animal, so this subject is bound to come up. We are animals and I think it pays to consider not getting too far away from the nature of that. Non human animals serve as good examples.

• BabyGirl on October 23, 2011 at 21:55

“Oh really. I must have missed the part where monkeys went to the moon (hopefully derivative implications will be obvious).”

We are human animals, but we have souls. Else there would be no development.

8. Sean on October 23, 2011 at 02:56

But Richard, Al Gore says OWS is the ‘primal scream of democracy’. Judging from Gore’s bloated features, I’d say he ought to be less worried about primal screams and more worried about primal eating and exercise–get that dude a copy of PB.

9. paul on October 23, 2011 at 03:05

Richard, the brilliant and existential Chris Cornell lyrics off the album Temple of the Dog. If pink floyd spoke to you, Chris cornell in both soundgarden and temple of the dog spoke to me.

Here are lyrics from the song ‘pushin forward back’

Mother mother found me on her step
    Gracious mother held me to her breast
    Until the day I started pushin’
    Too late to cry she turned away
    I started pushin’
    I saw no future in this lack
    I started pushin’ forward back
    Baby brother clinging to her hair
    Gracious mother pleading not another
    Soul to bare he started pushin’
    All my kings have fallen down
    I started pushin’
    Fallen heroes feed the ground
    I started pushin’ forward back
    Falling down, now I know her
    I know I’ll never drown
    I was pushin’ forward back

I could say a lot about the notion of separation from the mother from a psychoanalytic perspective having spent years on the couch and studying it formally and informally.

Suffice to say, it is one big can of worms, and individuation and separation needs to be mutually fostered via the child and the mother for it to be successfully realised. A smothering mother who punishes the child due to their pathological needs for enmeshment and fusion with the child make the separation harder and riddled with struggle

Paul D

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 11:59

Paul, I’ll check it out, but just to be clear, the post is metaphorical, ie, yes, all well adjusted folks leave mommy, but then so many seem to search for mommy in a collectivized society. They see it as a Safety Net or whatever, but it’s mommy. Worse, it makes everyone everyone else’s slave.

10. Madbiker on October 23, 2011 at 04:36

Richard, I don’t know if you are familiar with Drerp but I’ve just started reading her blog and she posits something similar to you. If you cultivate relationships with people who have similar values to your own, don’t make stupid decisions, and participate in your community, then you will have the best form of welfare available: family and community who value and respect you as an individual and who will help you not out of compulsion or by fiat, but because they genuinely want to. (Her stuff is focused on how modern feminism is ruining the world by encouraging irresponsible, risk-free behaviors in young women and never blaming irresponsible people for their choices).

I think that is what’s going on a bit here. I’m no hardcore Luddite, but I do like to simplify and slow down a lot. I try to know my neighbors, keep up friendships and continue to show my family that I love and value them. I want to know I have someone on whom to rely if all the chips fall, whether for emotional or financial support. When I am old, I hope to be cared for by family, not a network of well-meaning but still unfamiliar strangers who are paid to do it. I fear losing love and support so I work hard to be sure I maintain relations with those I love and support.

Welfare (in any form: food stamps, gov’t back loans for homes or school) has a big element of anonymity about it. It’s easy to take, take, take when you don’t see from whom you are taking. It’s especially easy when you don’t have to give back. This hurts communities, and stunts the ability to form real, lasting relationships with people around you. It erodes the sense of responsibility, to the point where now people are demanding a life free of not just responsibility, but RISK. Gambled that a degree in American/Women’s/Africa/Asia/Latin Studies was going to get you a great job, and lost? Hey, I didn’t know, I’m not responsible, it was unfair. Gambled that your behavior led to an unhappy outcome? Hey, it wasn’t really my fault, I was tricked/left/fired/whatever, it’s unfair.

We are looking to others not just to be Mother, but to be everything we won’t do for ourselves. I sometimes wonder what role institutionalized education (private or public) has done as far as the programming of recent generations. I was a public school teacher for all of three years and saw a lot of stuff, on the classroom and administration side, that made me feel we are doomed. The denigration of blue collar work is stunning. My teacher colleagues seemed to think auto mechanic or welder or construction worker was somehow not a good job for our graduates to hold. They held it against a guy in the school’s IT department that he was 25 and making 90K a year, because they felt entitled to his salary instead (they had Masters, he had an AS in computer science by age 19 and had been a networking engineer for 6 years by that point). I don’t know if I can return to the profession. There are good teachers and good schools out there, but I might have better luck hitting the lottery than landing a job in such a place.

Good post. I’m a Pink Floyd fan. My parents took me to see them in ’89 when I was 13 (aren’t they cool?). This was post-Waters era, but I was familiar with The Wall. While I still enjoy the music, I took some time to really consider the lyrics not long ago and decided it was pretty whine-y and something someone looking to blame others for his problems would write. Maybe it was cathartic for Rogers, or maybe it was just brilliant marketing towards a then-teenage demo who, like the “emo” kids of this decade, need music that reinforces their perceived tragedy of an existence and why things are so awful, and who is to blame. Just my $.02 on The Wall.

• Madbiker on October 23, 2011 at 04:45

sorry, that should be “grerp” not Drerp. Her blog is at http://www.grerp.blogspot.com

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 08:07

Thanks for all that, Madbiker. Lots of good points.

11. Jscott on October 23, 2011 at 05:49

“If you have a blog, perhaps she reads it and learns way more about you than you’re comfortable with.”
    And that discomfort creates conversation. Without the hand signals.

“No, you needn’t and shouldn’t “build a wall.” What you can do is build micro community where you live and with the people most important to you. If you work at it, you just may discover that you have a “safety net” after all.”

After a decade (oddly, almost a decade ago) of attempting change and expressing frustration at the ‘macro’ level, I quit. I became as micro as I could–me. Stopping the use of ‘you’ and ‘they’ forced me to look at the solution I had been missing (ignoring) all along.

Small groups of people have been hitting me on the head and giving me a hand ever since. I built mine. I was not born with any of them.

It is nothing like mother, but she died.

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 12:01

Jscott

Excellent. You could not choose your family, but you could choose your close social circle. And you did.

12. Josh on October 23, 2011 at 09:58

A primal, base need of most animals, and particularly humans, is the sense that you belong to a community, which I think is also a motive for some whom attend OWS. OWS is a community that feels strong because, hell, it’s a whopping “99%” of the population. The top 1% of the country claims $593,000 in annual income – well fuck, I don’t really think that someone making $500k (or even $100k or $50K) is under the same kind of economic hardship that someone making less then 25k is (which is nearly 50% of the population). The notion that 99% of the US population can stand in solidarity is really heart warming but I’m woefully skeptical of the premise.

I’m put off by OWS because it just seems like a collision of exposing corruption (good) and vague entitlement (lame).

• Richard Nikoley on October 23, 2011 at 10:16

Josh. Not bad points. I’m too lazy to look up the links but there is a very old post on the blog entitled something like “The Income Gap, Deconstructed, ” where I show research that while there are always “poor” people, they are not the same people over time. They move through the ranks.

They do it on their own.

• Gina on October 25, 2011 at 10:46

Likewise, the 1% is fluid as well, mainly small biz owners like me who work for years, and yes, employ people, and make piddly money most of the time, then maybe hit a stride with success that will allow you to take more money out of the company you poured sweat and tears into for a few short years until your age and just plain weariness just takes you down and calls out for you to slow down or retire. Yes, I am or have been a 1%-er and fuck anyone who tries to confiscate my very hard-earned income.

This weekend the OWS put out an agenda, and what a surprise! nothing but union shills.

13. Forest Carter on October 23, 2011 at 17:30

I’ve been frequenting your website for about a month now and have started on no soap (water-only better describes it IMO) and exercising more, like running around with my dogs in the backyard. Now I can see why they love it so much. I’m hoping to start on the Paleo diet too, but since my mom is in charge of the groceries I’m going to have to convince her and my sister. We’ll see what happens.

I’ve been pretty busy with homework lately, so I’ve been scanning a lot of blogs/videos. I remember you mentioning in one of your videos a Paleo cookbook, and recommending it (and to make sure to read your review on Amazon first!). Can you post a link to that?

I recently had homework for English class which involved randomly reading those classically terrible short stories, but luckily there was a section on African proverbs that was great fun to read. I slightly grazed this post so I’m not sure if this quote holds any relevance, but I’m thinking it will:
    “A bird’s relation is the one he sits next to.” ~Ashanti Proverb

• Madbiker on October 24, 2011 at 03:37

Perfect proverb for this post. Maintain your family relationships, but absent those, look to those near you to form a community, and through mutual support of each other, none need ever fall to far into hunger or ignorance.

What terrible short stories? I was a HS English teacher, happy to offer help and insight if you need it. Email me (linkie in my name above).

You can do paleo/primal at home. Talk to your mom, have her read Primal Blueprint or Paleo Solution if she’s willing, or direct her to Mark’s (PB) or Robb’s (PS) websites to help her understand the new diet philosophy. Ditch bread, just take the lunchmeat instead, or make tuna/chicken/egg salad to eat with sliced veggies. Ask mom to buy you some yams, their not terribly expensive, and pop one in the microwave for 3 minutes as an alternative to rice or mashed potatoes.

I knew a few people who went vegan in meat-eating households as teens/young adults. They got through it; this is no different.

I think the best book for you would be Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso. Find on Amazon.

Sorry for the threadjack, Richard 😉

• Forest Carter on October 24, 2011 at 12:16

I’m not going to bother explaining why the short stories are terrible, because that would just create an instance of typical Student/Teacher rivalry. Some of them do have good morals and teachings, but if I was looking for that I wouldn’t choose a World Literature book. It can also be quite frustrating when my teacher, who is in charge of what I’m learning, doesn’t understand what she is teaching and teaches the whole class wrong and then the whole class gets that specific question correct on a quiz except for me because I put the actual answer. That’s a true story that also happened in my Biology class last year.

Thanks for the tips and recommendations.

• Forest Carter on October 24, 2011 at 12:41

What can you say about the Paleo Recipe Book? I just checked out those two sites and the book, but the Paleo Recipe Book seems the most appealing. The site lays out a lot of information and summarized the book really well, but the PS and PB seem more of a “if you buy this then you will know what is in it.” So my investment at this point relies others experiences with each one. I really like the Paleo Recipe Book based on what I’ve seen, unless someone has something bad to say. However, I guess in the end it will depend on what works for me; as a Buddha said, “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

14. Razwell on October 23, 2011 at 18:18

Mother is a good song and a nice riff.

Slash usually plays the intro to Mother before Paradise City in concert back when he was in his prime with the band.

15. rob on October 24, 2011 at 04:28

I blame it all on kids growing up without a father.

• B on October 28, 2011 at 10:43

The most entilted a-holes I know usually have a loving, smothering daddy AND mommy.