Blogiversary

I just realized a bit ago that it was 8 years, 2 days, and 3,000 posts ago that I published my first blog post.

A Beginning

Well, It’s a start. For several years I have wanted to create a website to serve as the primary outlet for my ideas and commentary. So this is it, a weblog.

Will anything really become of it? Don’t know.

I’m not setting any goals or making any promises. I’d like to think I will spend some constructive time at this, but I guess we’ll see. I may also archive some of the other stuff I’ve written over the years.

Purpose. Well, it’s my outlet, and as such, I don’t think I’ll be opening up any of my posts to comments. I will be frank, as always. I’ll probably use some “naughty words” here and there, too. Good thing I have no plans on running for political office.

That’s good in another respect too. One of the things this blog will serve is a way to compile and organize my unconventional philosophic, religious, and political ideas.

Now, it’s time to go forth and look around for something to get all worked up about…

I guess some things never change. We’ll, except that I opened up comments within the first year, I think, and have never regretted doing that. And now, the comments really add substantial value to the whole endeavor. So far, there are 38,000 published comments. Y’all deserve a round of applause for that — clap clap clap. Thank you.

For the first few years the blog was called “UncommonSense,” then I changed the name to “HonestyLog,” and you know the rest of the story.

The other thing that’s changed is that when I began, owing to previous Internet activity on USENET and such, I was able to begin with a small readership, perhaps a few dozen to 100, and I knew a few other bloggers, got some links, and so it really wasn’t long until I was getting 1-2,000 visits per month and I was always pretty happy with that.

But I’m more happy with October’s stats: 125,000 visits and 210,000 page views. Absolute unique visitors in October? 70,000. That’s cool.

I’m not going anywhere.

1. Darrin on November 4, 2011 at 22:44

Nice! Congrats on the milestone, Richard. Looking forward to many more years of great stuff here.

2. Jeanie on November 4, 2011 at 17:14

Congratulations, Richard! Here’s to many more years of tellin’ it like it is!!

3. Patrik on November 4, 2011 at 17:15

I remember the beginning of your Paleo blogging when De Vany’s blog imploded. Congrats dude. Been a great journey.

4. Lute Nikoley on November 4, 2011 at 17:40

Guess what? I was there from the beginning, and I’m still here. Congrats on staying the course. Never forget my first question to you when you first started. What is a blog?

5. Richard Nikoley on November 4, 2011 at 17:41

“What is a blog?”

I trust you know the answer to that, now.

6. Richard Jones on November 4, 2011 at 18:11

You inspire, inform, infuriate, and endear many people Rich. Hopefully someday I’ll be able to openly express myself half as well as you do for yourself and your convictions.

Congrats on eight whole friggin years!

• Richard Nikoley on November 4, 2011 at 20:22

“… inspire, inform, infuriate, and endear…”

Well if that’s half true, I’ll be satisfied tonight.

Thanks, man. Aren’t you the one I moronically called a moron the other night?

7. Richard Nikoley on November 4, 2011 at 18:41

Heh, 8 years X 365 is 2920. So I’m slightly over an average of a post per day, over 8 years. That’s pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.

8. starfish on November 4, 2011 at 20:11

If you and your responders would just “please get along” (:0)and decide to agree on something (which wouldn’t be fun at all) then I’m thinking this has real political potential…paleo petitions…hmm

9. Richard Nikoley on November 4, 2011 at 20:20

“….has real political potential…paleo petitions…hmm”

I won’t stand in anyone’s way, of course… 🙂

10. Pauline on November 5, 2011 at 05:47

Hi Richard, Free The Animal is one of the websites I visit daily and often, I am inspired by your food videos, emotional honesty and even learnt how to make a proper omelette from a link on your page to Julia Child on Youtube and have had the most delicious omelettes ever since. I learn so much from the comments by others, that I sometimes make a shortcut to them on my laptop screen for easy reference. The comments are always informative, you have created a grand platform for a gathering around the fire, where we all can share, eat and debate ideas. Wow. I have often wanted to create my own webpage, to express and share the broad range of interests I dabble in, but you have done it. Bravo!

11. Josh on November 5, 2011 at 06:16

Congrats, dude. Been reading your site for a few years and always enjoy reading your words, even if I may not always agree. You have a great way of expressing your thoughts on a subject which often times ellicits an emotional response from your readers. Keep up the great work brother!

12. Pauline on November 5, 2011 at 06:39

Or should I say – Bravo Zulu!

13. Richard Nikoley on November 5, 2011 at 06:43

Thanks much all, for all the kind words.

14. Sean on November 5, 2011 at 06:54

8 years, wow that’s like 10,000 years in blogtime.

15. […] Happy blogiversary, Richard Nikoley! […]

16. Abhishek on November 6, 2011 at 12:40

Beautiful. Keep chugging along.

17. Aaron Curl on November 6, 2011 at 16:57

Congratulations on a very successful blog. I have read your blog for about 2 years and I’m never unsatisfied by anything you blog about. I thought I was the only person who knew the many “truths” that you blog so passionately about. Keep up the great inspiring work Richard.

18. Razwell on November 8, 2011 at 05:23

Congratulations, Richard. “I can’t wait , it’s your B L O G A V E R S A R A Y ” ( sung to the song “It’s Our Anniversary)

LMAO !