Holiday Odds & Ends & PGP Food Pics

Be careful out there. I’m signed up to do the mashed potatoes & giblet gravy for the Big Meal on Thursday. I’ll also do some green beans with bacon. Will I be able to resist a dab of taters & gravy? We’ll see.

Note: PGP = “Pretty Good paleo.” The geeks get it.

In a few hours we’re headed down to the Oceanside / Vista area for Thanksgiving with family. We’re going to make this a 2-day trip, heading down 101 for a stopover in Pismo, then onward tomorrow. Thought I might get off a few odds, ends, and food pics prior to departure.

~ I have an about.me profile and I think it looks pretty cool. Check it out and create one for yourself. I also recommend clicking on the button to jump to random profiles of others to get that “less is more” sense of the “ethic” there. There’s some wonderfully creative profiles there.

~ I have been dreadfully behind in emails from readers either telling me of their success, asking a question or alerting me to Bullshit in the media. I plowed through a good chunk yesterday, then more this morning. I’ll be posting about a lot of it over the holiday.

~ I’ll be firing up the Success Story video interviews again next week, but probably one every few weeks instead of even week. Not sure how many I have in the queue, but a good number. Next up will be Hank Garner, who interviewed me for a podcast sometime back. I’ll also be getting on Angelo Coppola in the weeks to come.

~ There’s lots of videos of presentations for the AHS, but I figured I might just pop up a random one, here and there. Here’s Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt of Sweeden on The Food Revolution.

Do you want to improve your weight and health by eating real food? With no calorie counting, no diet products, no hunger? This talk from Ancestral Health Symposium 2011 shows you how to do it the natural way.

The epidemics of obesity and diabetes are continuing to spread across the western world. Now we know why. Modern science has revealed our mistake.

The unnecessary fear of natural food has inadvertently caused us to eat more of the new food that can make us hungrier, make us eat more, make us fat.

Ever more people are realizing the mistake and seeing the solution. The food revolution is here. Please help spread the word once you know.

~ Food Pics.

Breakfast
Sunday Breakfast with Elk Sausage & Sweet Potato
IMG 0674
Yesterday’s Breakfast: Salad, Smoked Sardines and Smoked Herring, all drizzled with Olive Oil and Lemon
IMG 0662
A Frittata with Back Bacon & Onion

Well that’s all, folks. I have other pics, but they have been defiled by things like rice & potatoes. They’ll have to wait until we get back in our Rocket Ship to Hell.

1. Tim on November 22, 2011 at 10:51

How did you prepare and cook the sweet potato in the very first picture (with elk sausage and eggs)? Any additional links you have to sweet potato recipes that fit the clean-paleo/primal eating would be great as well.

Thanks.

-Tim

• Richard Nikoley on November 22, 2011 at 11:06

punctured with a fork (pretty large potato), into the microwave on high for 5 min on a paper towel, then turn it over for another 2 min. Let it cool, scoop out the insides, mix with one egg very well, making sure the potato is completely creamy like a batter. I added some salt & pepper.

There was enough for two pancakes, which I fried in coconut oil. Spoon into a big lump in the skillet but don’t try to flatten it as it will stick to your utensil. Once the bottom is done, flip it and then flatten it.

I garnished it with a tsp of ghee which melted on top.

2. Tim on November 22, 2011 at 10:58

Perhaps it was the same as this post:

…where you baked it, whipped it with an egg, and then fried it. Thanks again for any info!

3. EMF on November 22, 2011 at 11:17

Green beans in bacon are my favorite side dish at Thanksgiving. Brown about 1/2 lb of bacon and then throw in fresh green beans (leave in all fat and bacon) and cook on low for about two hours. The green beans get browned, real soft, and fatty but retain their shape. Delicious.

4. Scott on November 23, 2011 at 14:47

PGP = Pretty Good Paleo. Yup… Not to be confused, of course, with PFBP = Pretty Freakin Bad Paleo –

Good God…and people wonder why ‘paleo’ doesn’t work for them.

5. Chris Tamme on November 23, 2011 at 08:35

That frittata looks delicious. It has been awhile since I have made one. Thanks for the food inspiration. I have gotten back to making my own food again in the past 2 weeks and feel so much better. I need to back off the beer but I figure I can do that between thanksgiving and christmas.

@EMF that is by far the best way to make green beans.

• Richard Nikoley on November 23, 2011 at 08:38

I do green beans with my mom’s old method. Beans go into a pot to boil, along with an onion sliced & chopped. Then fry up chopped up bacon, like a whole pound for a large pot of green beans. Then the bacon and the fat go in the boiling pot and you let it simmer until most of the water is gone. serve right from the pot with a slotted spoon. The beans are tender and amazing.

6. Lionel frankenstein on November 23, 2011 at 23:20

I’m from the vista Oceanside area! Have you ever been to the Yellow Deli?

• Richard Nikoley on November 24, 2011 at 06:54

Nope. Had a bucket of crab last night from Joe’s with a bunch of family.

7. Uncephalized on November 25, 2011 at 14:04

I get it! I’m a geek!

8. Rob Beyerlein on November 26, 2011 at 04:56

I took the plunge and ordered my first grass fed beef from La Cense…the strips and steakburger black friday sale was too good to pass up…never would have heard of that place if not for you. Hope you and yours had a happy thanksgiving, your blog has improved my culinary skills by a thousand fold, plus made the intermittent/primal lifestyle a lot more fun…thanks 🙂

9. Razwell on November 27, 2011 at 08:27

True. We must eat real, non – processed foods. The industrial diet IS harmful, and Urgelt taught me this back in 2007.

The NON foods such as temperate zone polyunsaturated vegetable oils made pigs VERY, VERY fat compared to coconut oil which produced muscular pigs, as Urgelt pointed out in his video. It is interesting to note that these polyunsaturated oils create cravings, and I think also *might* disrupt fat cell regulation.

Coconut oil is greater in calories than temperate zone polyunsaturated oils, but the latter oils caused massive obesity in pigs. it is a fast way to fatten them. We have been fed NONSENSE by dieticians about temperate zone polyunsaturated vegetable oils and the whole saturated fats are bad and unsaturated fats are good fiasco.

It is a shame that nutritional science is in its infancy.