Don’t Listen to Me. Listen to Dr. Terry Wahls, Cured from Debilitating Multiple Sclerosis (MS) On a Paleo Diet

As so many commenters on various posts point out from time to time, almost nobody will listen to them about their “Paleo Diet,” even in spite of dramatic weight loss, usually accompanied by equally dramatic health improvements.

The reasons are usually similar: “you’re not a doctor;” “it’s just a fad;” “grains are in the Bible, so they must be a healthy;” and on and on. What the reasons all boil down to, however, is authority. People simply wish to be told what to do and for better or worse, neither you nor I count as a likely source of authoritative information in their eyes. This, in spite of the increasing trend toward lay persons actually being more knowledgeable, informed, and current than are the “experts,” cloistered as they are in their various institutions beholden to producers of exactly the sort of “foods” causing all the problems, as well as the drug companies enjoying the ride for all it’s worth.

OK, so let’s concede: Have it your way. You want authority, then how about not only a medical doctor who promotes the Paleo Diet — ’cause there’s plenty of those, as well as PhD medical researchers — but one who also cured herself of advanced multiple sclerosis (MS).

Let’s review:

Multiple sclerosis (abbreviated MS, known as disseminated sclerosis or encephalomyelitis disseminata) is an inflammatory disease in which the fatty myelin sheaths around the axons of the brain and spinal cord are damaged, leading to demyelination and scarring as well as a broad spectrum of signs and symptoms. […]

MS affects the ability of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord to communicate with each other effectively. […] In MS, the body’s own immune system attacks and damages the myelin. When myelin is lost, the axons can no longer effectively conduct signals. […] Although much is known about the mechanisms involved in the disease process, the cause remains unknown. Theories include genetics or infections. Different environmental risk factors have also been found [But no dietary factors, eh? -Ed].

Almost any neurological symptom can appear with the disease, and often progresses to physical and cognitive disability. MS takes several forms, with new symptoms occurring either in discrete attacks (relapsing forms) or slowly accumulating over time (progressive forms). […]

There is no known cure for multiple sclerosis. Treatments attempt to return function after an attack, prevent new attacks, and prevent disability. MS medications can have adverse effects or be poorly tolerated, and many patients pursue alternative treatments, despite the lack of supporting scientific study [Perhaps because all “scientific study” is focussed on making big bucks by patenting a pill, and not alternatives to pills. -Ed].

[emphasis added]

While I’m not qualified to judge if what Dr. Wahls did for herself constitutes a “cure,” she no longer has apparent symptoms, and she did it by dumping the best “care” and drugs available in the world.

Dr Wahls
Dr Wahls

So now to the real heart of the story, her TEDx presentation in Iowa City in early November.

That video is only 17 minutes short, and I admonish you to watch the whole thing. It’s really a great encapsulation of what the whole paleo diet is about from a health and disease standpoint, rather than a weight and fat loss basis — often the thing that receives the most attention around here. One very telling thing she shows is how most Americans are deficient in an array of essential nutrients and how a proper paleo diet not only restores adequate nutrition, but delivers up to 10 times the nutrition as the Standard American Diet (SAD). OK, that’s easy but: it also provides substantially more nutrition than the American Heart Association Diet, American Diabetes Association Diet, the FDA Food Pyramid or anything else you can name — including the Dean “chubby face” Ornish Diet.

Be absolutely sure to stay tuned to the 14 minute mark where she dramatically demonstrates her results in a number of compelling images. It’s very moving.

And if that’s not enough, on November 13, at the 2011 Neuroscience Conference, she and colleagues presented preliminary results of their own clinical trial with other MS patients using no drugs, but instead: diet, exercise, and neuromuscular stimulation.

Effects of intensive directed nutrition, progressive exercise program and neuromuscular electrical stimulation on secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (PDF) [It’s about 1/3 of the way down; or search “Wahls”]

At 3 months, outcome measures improved from baseline as follows: Fatigue Severity Scale by 34.2%, Timed 25 foot walk by 16.6%, Get up and go test by 20.7%, average speed during 25 foot walk test by 20.35% and total Multiple Sclerosis Spasticity Scale (MSSS-88) by 16.3%. At 6 month average improvement of first 3 subjects were as follows: Fatigue Severity Scale by 31.4%, Timed 25 foot walk by 14.4%, Get up and go test by 27.1%, average speed during 25 foot walk test by 17.5% and total MSSS-88 by 26.5%. No significant adverse events were reported. In conclusion, individuals with SPMS are willing to complete a complex behavioral change involving intensive directed nutrition, neuromuscular electrical stimulation and progressive exercise program. Preliminary results indicate beneficial effects of this combined intervention on fatigue and gait in subjects with a progressive disease who are not expected to show improvement.

Self reported success stories here.

It’s also worth noting from her presentation that gluten proteins in grains and casein in dairy are associated with a wide array of ailments, including but not limited to: eczema, asthma, allergies, infertility, irritable bowel, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, arthritis, chronic headache, neurological problems and behavior problems. And yet, how often do you hear much about dietary intervention, as opposed to some new drug therapy? Well, you now have “gluten free,” along with the same cast of characters producing essentially the same vapid crap: no gluten, and probably twice the sugar.

Dr. Wahls tried all the best medications and got progressively worse.

She dumped the “food” manufacturers and the pill pushers, went on a paleo diet, and got better. She has a website, and a book: Minding My Mitochondria: How I overcame secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (MS) and got out of my wheelchair.

Dr. Terry Wahls links micronutrient starvation to the epidemics of chronic disease that are overtaking modern society. She explains the key roles mitochondria play in maintaining a healthy brain and body. Americans are eating so poorly, something we all know to be true, that the majority of Americans are missing key building blocks that are needed for brain cells to be healthy. The result is an epidemic of depression, aggression, multiple sclerosis and early dementia. She then teaches you how to eat for healthy mitochondria, a healthy brain and a healthy body in language that is clear and concise, even for those without a science background. In this book, Dr. Wahls explains basic brain biology in simple terms. She tells us what vitamin, mineral and essential fat building blocks are needed by the mitochondria and other key structures in the brain. Then she explains what foods are good sources for those key nutrients. Over a hundred recipes are provided to help get you started on this new way of eating. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this book will be used to fund research into the benefits of these interventions in others.

But as I said, don’t listen to me. What do I know?

1. Jeff on December 8, 2011 at 16:58

Absolutely amazing. We are going to learn in the near future how much diet is making people sick and how it can heal us as well.

• Richard Nikoley on December 8, 2011 at 17:09

Yep, I’d known of that video for a while, now, but had not had a chance to watch. When I did, I knew it absolutely had to be blogged.

2. Jim Purdy on December 8, 2011 at 18:02

As Doctor Wahls said, we each have a choice. And it sounds like she made the right choice for herself.

3. slesca on December 8, 2011 at 18:24

Luckily, I live in Iowa so I’ve gotten to hear her speak before. She’s been on Public Radio here at least once a while ago that I can remember. Amazing! I can’t believe how quickly the changes came about for her, although I really shouldn’t be surprised. I had results in less than a month when I switched to a (not even very perfect) paleo diet. Pervasive dairy and grains = disgusting a rarely worth it. Whenever people say “they could never!” all I want to do is force them to try it for two weeks and see what they think then. But I have to remember that we all make our choices. That’s a fantastic message.

4. Emma on December 8, 2011 at 19:37

I would have been happy just listening to you Richard, but it’s nice to know you have such well-informed, intelligent back up. 😉

5. Chris Sturdy on December 8, 2011 at 20:11

This is a great talk. I showed it to one of my students yesterday. Not only that, but it strongly reinforces my dietary choices as a fellow Paleo/Primal enthusiast and MS sufferer.

6. Paul d on December 8, 2011 at 20:39

I really get why these things are dismissed by those in the medical field. Imagine a person comes into your practice. They have symptoms, you group the symptoms into a diagnosis and then have an outlined set of treatment protocols with risks etc. Many crazy folk offer cures on the Internet. In response to questions about why your dr does not offer herbs that a crazy bullshit artist offers for 5k over the Internet, drs are accused of being in the pockets of the drug company, never trained in nutrition etc. BULLSHIT!!!!!! The body, which is a bilion times more sophisticated than we realise yet, has such amazing capacity to improve or deteriorate under the same stimulus. Amazing results for this person. A miracle perhaps? Diet is a factor in health, and paleo seems to be a great diet. Results are being replicated. All looking good. Richard, I hope the nut cases that can’t read research and don’t get the scientific method don’t take this and fuck it up via the paleosphere. Paul d
    stimulus.

• Neal Matheson on December 8, 2011 at 23:32

I agree, I have been eating “paleo” for a few years, but I completely understand why someone would write it off. It’s up to us to present it in a manner where it won’t be come a new “craze or fad” don’t support the commodification (if any) that comes along. To my mind we need to kick the “diet” and stop selling it the weight loss as that is just a part of the overall health it give you.
      I didn’t lose lots of weight through paleo so I have no success story to share (people do comment on how healthy I look though). When people notice what I eat I share, if cholesterol or satfat comes up I dissent, but I’m not trying to win converts. I know that by eating a diet that is largely in total opposition to Govt recommendations I am placed by most people in the same camp as the fruit idiots and the raw vegans etc but by clear, polite, rational discourse I can explain my choices.
      I have watched three people give themselves chronic malnutrition becoming vegan (thanks to that lying prick Campbell (never trust a Campbell btw:-]) and many loved ones be placed on statins and worse, but if people start shouting they’ll just get ignored, stories like this one (and thousands of others) are making it hard for the case for paleo to be written off or sidelined.

7. Jim Purdy on December 9, 2011 at 00:15

Neal Matheson said above:
    “I’m not trying to win converts. I know that by eating a diet that is largely in total opposition to Govt recommendations I am placed by most people in the same camp as the fruit idiots.

Yeah, I guess calling people “idiots” may not be the best way to convert anybody.

Sometimes a little civility goes a long way.

In any case, fruit are the only foods that actually evolved to be eaten. The problem is not with the original fruits, but the way that agriculture has turned them into candy on trees. Non-sweet fruit like tomatoes, red bell peppers, and avocados are very healthful choices.

• Razwell on December 9, 2011 at 13:12

There is no peer reviewed research at all to validate the claim that “fruit is the only food evolved to be eaten”. That is so ridiculous , incorrect and off base it is unreal and beyond absurd. That is dogmatic , CULT – like propaganda speak.

Sorry, Jim. Please dig deeper. Wild salmon and various nuts and seeds are HIGHLY NUTRITIOUS foods Paleolithic man ate.

Fruitarians have IMMENSE nutritional deficiencies. Science has not progressed to the point in nutrition where you can be 100 % sure about diet. Nutritional science is in its infancy. We ALL take risks. Look into URGELT, one of the smartest Internet people around, and a man who firmly understands how science works.

Please reconsider. it’s your health at stake.

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2011 at 13:26

I think what Jim means, Razwell, is that fruit evolved explicitly to lure animals to eat it and spread the seeds, its way of reproducing, as opposed to vegetables that generally evolve chemicals as a defense against being consumed.

For that, you need to go to domesticated animals like cattle, sheep, goats, where in exchange for a relatively comfortable life they eventually get served up on the dinner table, or provide dairy. But that’s the province of selective breeding, not natural selection.

• Jim Purdy on December 9, 2011 at 13:56

Richard, thanks for helping to explain my comment.

I apparently was wrong to assume that all your readers understood co-evolution.

Obviously, there is no evolutionary benefit to a plant when it is killed for its roots, stems, or leaves, but many fruits co-evolved specifically to be eaten by animals who deposit the seeds in nice warm piles of fertilizer.

And I would still maintain that it is possible to live quite healthfully on a diet (salads) exclusively of non-sweet fruit like avocados. tomatoes, and red bell peppers. There is plenty of nutrition there, including calories and good fats from the avocados. In fact, I have eaten nothing but avocado-tomato-pepper salads for short times, and they are quite tasty.

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2011 at 14:25

Jim, part of the problem is the idea that you have to have one diet, one macro ratio, etc.

Why not have it all?

I think Paleos are close to that and I think that may be the best approach with health conscious vegans and vegetarians, OK, eat 80% varied plant matter, but for gods sake, have some oysters, clams, mussels now and then, highly nutritious and they don’t have a sophisticated CNS.

• Jim Purdy on December 9, 2011 at 14:49

All the confusion here is my fault, because I’ve been leaving out an important point about fruit/animal co-evolution:

Although humans indeed have evolved to eat lots of things, only fruits have co-evolved to meet us halfway by providing nutrition for us and other seed dispersers.

Many animals and plants have strong defenses to discourage animals, but fruits actually have to provide good nutrition for seed dispersers. It does not benefit the fruit plants if they kill their seed dispersers. Many unripe fruits try to keep predators away with bad tastes and unpleasant chemicals, but ripe fruit are loaded with a wide variety of nutrients, and they often signal their ripeness by turning red or other bright colors. n fact, our vision has co-evolved to allow us to better spot the fruits that are signaling us with red colors.

Boy, this sure strayed away from Doctor Wahls, except that I think her diet might benefit from even more brightly colored non-sweet fruits.

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2011 at 15:00

You’re not saying anythng untrue, Jim.

All I’m arguing for is variety. We did migrate, so we had to find tastiness beyond fruit.

But fruit is good and totally paleo, perhaps the most paleo of all.

• Don Wiss on December 9, 2011 at 14:25

“As for animals, I can’t see that any evolved to be eaten, in such a manner that it affords them some added reproductive success.”

Some male spiders. They allow the female to eat them after they have mated. The extra nutrition given to her increases reproductive success.

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2011 at 14:38

Don, I was thinking of humans but yea, your example serves to illustrate the complexity of natural selection and evolution. I’m not sure about females, but some males appear to exist solely as sperm donors.

8. Neal Matheson on December 9, 2011 at 00:38

‘Fruit idiots referred to a brand of raw veganism’ not to people who eat fruit. Having seen the devastation of fruitarianism at first hand I think “idiots” is quite generous.

9. Jim Purdy on December 9, 2011 at 01:01

From the New York Times:
    Teeth Show Fruit Was The Staple; No Exceptions Found
    By BOYCE RENSBERGER
    May 15, 1979
    BALTIMORE — Preliminary studies of fossil teeth have led an anthropologist to the startling suggestion that early human ancestors were not predominantly meat eaters or even eaters of seeds, shoots, leaves or grasses. Nor were they omnivorous. Instead, they appear to have subsisted chiefly on a diet of fruit.

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2011 at 08:22

Jim:

Anything newer than 1979? I mean, I watch Discover and Science channel all the time and I have never seen this brought up. No follow-up?

Also, it seems going on wear patterns exclusively is kinda dubious. I believe the state of the art now is some form of carbon decay analysis.

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2011 at 08:23

BTW, here’s the info I found from searching Google:

10. Neal Matheson on December 9, 2011 at 01:56

my studies are bigger than your studies and I’ll leave it at that

11. Jim Purdy on December 9, 2011 at 03:08

Size matters. Except with self-experimentation, where n=1.

All I really care abut is what works for me, and I’m still trying to figure that out.

• Aaron Curl on December 9, 2011 at 08:21

How many climates allow fruit to grow year round? How many don’t? Fruit is pretty much seasonal. Go ahead eat 5 pounds of fruit a day…..no one can stop you.

12. freeagent on December 9, 2011 at 06:27
  13. Don Wiss on December 9, 2011 at 12:03

To add the video to my paleo/ms page, I extracted out her diet recommendations. They are:

3 cups of green leaves
    3 cups of sulfur rich vegetables (cabbage and onion families, mushrooms, asparagus)
    3 cups of bright color (vegetables or berries)
    grass-fed meat/wild fish
    organ meat
    seaweed (for iodine and selenium), once a week

3 cups = a full dinner plate heaped high. While not mentioned in the limited time she had for the talk, she also recommends Vitamin D and exercise.

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2011 at 13:20

Don:

Yep, that’s exactly as I remember it, and loved it for its elegant simplicity. One thing I would add to go along with the organ meats is shellfish…primarily mussels, clams, oysters.

14. Razwell on December 9, 2011 at 13:06

That story about Dr. Wahls is very inspirational. The fruitarians are waaaaaaaaaaaaay off base. Eating nothing but fruit will kill aperson from nutritional deficiency. Those fruitarians do not even deserve a response. They are COMPLETE Internet crackpot loons.

Paleo is well balanced and very nutritious.

15. Joe on December 9, 2011 at 14:15

AWESOME post, Richard.

By the way, her son is pretty frickin’ impressive himself:

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2011 at 14:30

Joe, yes, even though I had seen that video months ago originally, I did not make the connection until part way through the draft. I debated whether to include it, but even though Beatrice and I have tons of gay friends, mostly couples (only one with a child — she’s raising her derelict straight sister’s son and doing an awesome job), I like to try and keep my posts to point.

Perhaps I need to rile the conservative Xians one of these days, though. After all, I get on the commies often enough, and as I joke with so many of my gay friends, they’re generally commies, politically. But I love ’em anyway.

16. Todd on December 9, 2011 at 14:50

I really liked the part (@ 4:15~) where she mentioned how she deduced that eating real foods was the way to go, because of the 100-1000’s of essential compounds that science has yet to probably discover. I don’t know of many people mentioning that specifically, but it definitely shines a light on how presumptuous the idea of a “full spectrum” vitamin and mineral supplement really is.

Thanks for posting. I love tedtalks.

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2011 at 15:03

Todd, I generally like them too in that I can’t recall a single one that horrified me, ever,

What is so cool about this one is how much foundational and practical nfo is packed into 17 minutes.

• Joe on December 9, 2011 at 15:30

She’d be a great speaker at the next AHS.

• Moando on June 5, 2012 at 14:34

The one from Melissa Gates talking about their vaccine program…..not so sure about THAT one. Plus there was a recent story about TED not allowing someone to speak on a controversial subject (escapes me which one).

• Madbiker on December 10, 2011 at 05:41

“eating real foods was the way to go, because of the 100-1000′s of essential compounds that science has yet to probably discover”

And the synergy that affects those thousands of undiscovered compounds. Biochemists identify new processes every day, it seems, and how minute quantities of X-nutrient or compound, too much or too little, can affect small processes in our cells which lead to huge problems or great benefits down the road.

We see things on a macro level and want instant results, and failing that just move on to the next fad. But paleo is lasting, and research will only continue to prove that is works like a white shirt with jeans, no matter what fashion era you live in.

17. Stan (Heretic) on December 9, 2011 at 16:24

Of course it does work for MS, in many (but not all cases).

Some MS patients were reporting improvements (some even cures) for years (since 1980-ties) on Dr. Jan Kwasniewski’s Optimal Diet (High fat, low carb, low protein). Most patients’ testimonials are on their Polish websites, books and printed periodicals, but some English texts are here:

It also works in many other cases. Note: if you are using a low carb diet to cure disease you have to also restrict protein as well as carb.
    Regards,
    Heretic

• Paul d on December 9, 2011 at 18:07

Heretic,
      Horse shit. You need to find a combo of macros that make you feel better and lead you to experience symptom reduction over time. A lot of diets differentiate themselves on the basis of macros. That Link you provided is someone elses optimal diet, not mine. Blanket statements like this based on a few testimomials are absurd. Protein rocks. Paul d

• Stan (Heretic) on December 10, 2011 at 06:41

Re: Protein rocks. Paul d

You will get a massive indigestion if you try eating mostly protein with very little of other macronutrients. This is semi-empirical knowledge but a protein based diet requires a certain minimal amount of fat to work (about 1:1+ by calories), similarly as the carbohydrate based diet requires a certain amount of protein (2:1)

The few testimonials are only those in English. There are thousands more published in Kwasniewski’s books and Optimal Assoc. periodicals. In Polish.
        Most patients were dealing with diabetes, asthma, RA, arterioscleris etc.

Heretic

18. paleo-debunked on December 9, 2011 at 18:12
    • Jacob on December 9, 2011 at 18:22

Couldn’t get past four minutes due to bias. Comparing regular people in every day pictures to body builders to make your diet look good is pretty disgusting.

• Stan (Heretic) on December 10, 2011 at 06:49

Hand-waving and pictures! I am curious if there was ever a competition fight between those vegan athletes against non-vegan. Besides that, there is nothing logical to respond to! Seems to be be a kind of a cult!

• Aaron Curl on December 10, 2011 at 09:44

YES it’s a cult! Holy Fuck! I couldn’t make it 2 minutes! I hate close minded morons!

• John on December 12, 2011 at 08:38

So, how come Weston A. Price never found a primative population that thrived on a vegan diet? Can anyone else find one? My guess is probably not.

• Richard Nikoley on December 12, 2011 at 08:51

Yea, you know, I clicked on that thing and could not get past a few minutes.

There is no such thing as “debunking Paleo.” Paleo isn’t a diet, it’s a framework that includes equator to arctic/antarctic circle and sea level to 16,000 feet and everything in between.

What we can be sure of is one thing: our ancestors evolved eating a wide variety of animal and plant matter. That’s simply a fact. It will never go away and anyone attempting to hand wave it away is immediately dismissed out-of-hand. I won’t spend a second of my time on them. That includes Don Matesz, as much as I like him personally (his in-person, soft spoken persona is so unlike his authoritarian blog/comment persona it’s surreal).

What is worthy to note is that some Paleos are just as off base as vegans. There is no single dietary prescription for all, no macronutrient ratios for all. You have to find out what works best for you, and if that’s a high starch diet from sweet potatoes and tubers with low-moderate fat and protein, then so be it and I’ll agree it falls under “Paleo.” But that’s simply _not_ going to be applicable for all.

• Don Wiss on December 13, 2011 at 09:50

“There is no single dietary prescription for all, no macronutrient ratios for all.”

It is possible that it varies between males and females. When out foraging, and searching for the best to bring back to the tribe, we can assume that the females didn’t starve themselves, but also ate some, which also has the benefit of less to carry back. To find the best she would be nibbling anyway. Likewise the guys aren’t going to carry back the heavy animal on an empty stomach. Meat is quite edible raw and it would have been easy to eat before heading home. Hence females could be more adapted to plant matter and males to animal foods.

• Richard Nikoley on December 13, 2011 at 09:57

And then factor in geographic location, tropics vs desert vs tundra and sea and lake dwelling vs high altitude.

• Jim Purdy on December 13, 2011 at 11:11

Don, was it difficult when modern males made the transition to hunting for beer in sports bars, and women switched to foraging for chocolate?

• Jared on December 14, 2011 at 12:32

The situations you just described seems at the most, very weak selection pressure. Even over millions of years, I doubt there is going to be an impact.

If men naturally have more muscle mass, and that muscle mass takes more dietary protein to keep up, then that’s a much clearer mechanism for men needing to eat more meat. To me, that makes much more sense as selection pressure than the slightly greater access of different sexes to different types of food.

• Richard Nikoley on December 12, 2011 at 09:36

“Paleo debunked?”

Tell that to Dr. Wahls.

• Alex on December 12, 2011 at 17:34

Big deal… she ate a bit of fruit and veggies and got better. But, just think how much better she’d be had she ditched the meat and become vegan! She’d have ripped abs and be running marathons! Instead, she’s living a life of meat-rotting-in-the-colon-induced mediocrity. Dang it, Richard, why are you saluting her when she’s so obviously made of fail?

• Richard Nikoley on December 12, 2011 at 17:41

Try harder, Alex. 🙂

19. Dan Linehan on December 9, 2011 at 19:53

If you really want your mind blown, Terry is the mom of Zach Wahl, who did this viral video earlier in the year:

Small world.

• Aaron Curl on December 10, 2011 at 09:48

WOW! Very good speaker. He has a bright future!

• Joe on December 10, 2011 at 10:25

Yes, a true rock star.

(And conservatives would criminalize his mere existence.)

20. Gina on December 10, 2011 at 13:05

She’s awesome. Within the last couple of weeks I saw her referred to several times in sites I visit. Just subscribed to her YouTube channel and will look into her books, DVDs.

21. Justin on December 10, 2011 at 10:23

Thanks for posting this. I watched the video yesterday. What a powerful testimony. It’s amazing how something as simple as diet can have that much of a profound impact.

It’s also amazing more people simply don’t know that. 🙂

22. Weekly Roundup #1 | The Ideal Man | The 21 Convention on December 10, 2011 at 12:55

[…] Nikoley, comments and video on a medical doctor who cured herself of multiple sclerosis —  a supposedly uncurable […]

23. salmonfordiner on December 10, 2011 at 18:11

major take away is that those MS doctors are charlatans.. we already new that!…class action against the lot..
    but seriously few if any of modern paleo dieters are eating that quantity and variety of vegetables…

Richard just look at some of your dishes…. it is very low carb..

I’d say I’m eating one half to two thirds that amount.. what does it do.. well can have two long well formed bowel movements a day and need to have a good auger handy for a modern class 5 low flusher!
    you can get over 100g of carbs mostly from vegetables if the quantity is large enough with very little starchy veggies. But fresh stuff takes a while to eat them all like one hour sometimes but tastes great.

take a lot at this heavy duty Paleo guy and what he eats.
    and does

• Don Wiss on December 10, 2011 at 18:31

“But fresh stuff takes a while to eat them all like one hour sometimes but tastes great.”

I would think that using a Vitamix to liquify the greens and vegetables would help.

24. salmonfordiner on December 11, 2011 at 14:30

Don Wiss that is exactly what I do with my garden fresh stuff in the summer. Vitamix cold soup, gazpacho like, tastes different all the time.. and it still takes a long time to eat.. I talk to the wife and we listen to the CBC radio.
    I had two heads of romaine lettuce plus miscellaneous fresh vegetables for lunch, home cooked chicken broth with chicken pieces!

25. Tracy on December 12, 2011 at 21:41

Thanks for posting this video, Richard. My cousin has MS, and I wasn’t sure if I should broach the subject with her (we don’t know each other that well) – I’ve shared this with her.

26. Pauline on December 14, 2011 at 03:23

Hi Richard, I have just put my back out through moving furniture in the house, the lower back pain is similar to neck/shoulder pain I have had over the years. I found this very interesting video on Dr Mercola’s site an interview with Dr John Lowe, where fibromyalgia is linked as a symptom of low thyroid hormone and/or thyroid hormone resistance. This I fascinating, having you seen or heard this link before:

• Richard Nikoley on December 14, 2011 at 06:08

Nope, but I’ll have to check later. Book deadline looming.

27. blueballs on December 14, 2011 at 13:10

“Wahls attributes her progress to two treatments: the nutrient-rich diet she developed, and neuromuscular electrical stimulation”

But it must’ve been the diet….

But McDougall used statins….

But Ornish uses meditation…

Ah, subjectivity…

28. alex on December 27, 2011 at 12:52

If we dont have MS can we eat 3 cups of veges and colourful fruit a day my asshole isn’t wide enough to accommodate that much fiber

• Chris Sturdy on December 28, 2011 at 09:30

I may be going out on a limb here, but my guess is that 3 cups of veggies/fruit won’t be any harder to pass than 3 cups of beef/pork/chicken/fish. And no, I’m not a vegetarian/veg*n, just making the counterpoint.

29. […] Don’t Listen to Me. Listen to Dr. Terry Wahls, Cured from Debilitating Multiple Sclerosis (MS) On … […]

30. What do you do with the head of a fish? | Following My Nose on June 22, 2012 at 08:38

[…] finding out that Jimmy Moore will be interviewing her soon, and seeing that several of the more critical thinkers and scientific minded bloggers have posted her video, my fears are […]

31. […] my presentation for the 2nd consecutive year to a good audience (even though I was up against the self-cured MS doctor and TED Talk extraordinaire, Terry Wahls in the other presentation venue), and that even after all that, CarbInsaneAsylum did not […]