What You’re Up Against Update

Hope everyone is enjoying the day after Christmas. One more week to go, and it’s back to life as usual. Got an email the other day and thought I’d share it.

The subject of the email: paleo Discrimination

I decided to write this for two reasons: First, I want to make others aware of the bureaucracy and politics I, and possibly others, have faced. (If you have experienced anything like this, please share.) And second, to be honest, I’m looking for some encouragement and support. I’ve kept this anonymous because I don’t want to get into any more trouble; I’ve got to keep my job, right? Thank you for respecting that.

So I’ve been paleo since January of this year (2011). I’ve lost 40 pounds and 7 inches off my waist. My health has improved dramatically! But you’ve heard stuff like that before. I’m a nurse and work for the government (vagueness is very important here). I work directly with patients to, ultimately, help them get healthier and out of the hospital. Nurses are supposed to stay current on research and utilize that research in our practice. We’re supposed to educate others and share information not only with our patients, but with our fellow coworkers.

I’m always talking about the paleo lifestyle, and I love helping others get healthy and realize how amazing they can feel. I tell them all about the research and science behind the diet. But in the end I always say, “If you’re happy, keep doing what you’re doing. But if you’re not, and you want to get healthier and make a change, why not give this a shot for 30 days?” Then I tell them to buy Robb’s book.

As a new nurse, I have to attend some additional training beyond college before I can work as a “real nurse.” In this new training, my diet was naturally brought up because I was immediately refusing all the candy, cookies, and sugary drinks being passed around on day one. After hearing me discuss some basics of paleo (like cholesterol and saturated fat are not bad), my supervisor approached me and told me I should not discuss my diet with patients. I said that I would never go into a room and start preaching that the patients should start eating more cholesterol and saturated fat; it’s not that simple. She still warned (nicely) that I should not bring it up because it’s not in line with the government’s dietary recommendations. So I “silently” rolled my eyes and have not discussed my diet with patients. However, I have discussed it amongst staff at the hospital. People get curious and want to get healthy, so they ask and I answered their questions.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m told that I need to report to my supervisor, “We have an issue to discuss.” I was given a counseling (a formal, written report) about discussing my diet in the workplace. I was told to cease discussing my diet while at work. This was extremely unfair considering I was never told I could not discuss my diet amongst staff, only patients. And I was never given any kind of verbal warning that what I was doing was wrong.

So I guess discussing accurate, research-based science is not appropriate for the hospital environment? But it’s okay to discuss the Kardashians, right? And I have to sit quietly while other people talk about which brand of low-fat yogurt or oatmeal is better for your health. And let’s not mention the barrage of candy and cupcakes being passed around daily. But most importantly, let’s not discuss what’s healthy for our patients who are fighting multiple diseases and eating disgusting foods. It really feels like discrimination. I feel singled-out. While everyone else is free to discuss their favorite fast food restaurants, I have to keep my mouth shut.

Sadly, what I learned from all this is that selfishness is more important than service. It’s better to keep my mouth shut and protect my career than help others get healthy. Inspiring message, huh? I suppose this situation will piss most people off. And it should! But there is some hope. I do have goals of becoming a doctor or…something one day where I can have more authority to help people. And I know some people (like Robb Wolf) are working to get more physicians on board with paleo. I did meet one doctor in the hospital who eats paleo. I was so excited. I felt like I’d met a celebrity. Unfortunately we didn’t have time to chat much about it.

Let’s just hope I can bite my tongue while in this government role and not get in any more trouble. But you can bet I’ll still be spreading the word and trying to help people get healthy outside of work. Thank you for reading.

Sumthin’ isn’t it?

1. val on December 26, 2011 at 12:13

This is an unmitiagated tragedy. I am so disgusted and disheartened by the people who are threatening her. Its awful.

2. Unamused Mouse on December 26, 2011 at 12:15

My step-mom is a nutritionist and I can’t talk with her about any of this stuff. I can’t act like I know more than her…especially when my dad has already had two major heart surgeries and then a new valve and then a stent…but he has his big bowl of Raisin Bran every morning (cause it’s fiber, yanno).

I can only hope that someday (soon!) this Paleo thing will be looked at seriously by “the authorities” and put into action – a lot of people would be saved. But then again, they can’t do that; they’re in bed with the grain farmers. Meh.

• Aaron Curl on December 27, 2011 at 07:39

“a lot of people would be saved. But then again, they can’t do that; they’re in bed with the grain farmers. Meh.”
      Sad but true, the only way paleo will take off is if there is some type of social restructure….or total collapse of the government.

• Shameer M. on December 27, 2011 at 11:17

I’ll take collapse of government. Maybe then people will wake up & we can rebuild this nation based on what it should be – Constitutional Republic.

• Dana on December 31, 2011 at 00:00

If you survived the collapse. Privileged people always think it’s gonna be them. What if it’s not?

• Dana on December 30, 2011 at 23:59

Right, because the grain farmers are TOTALLY OUR GOVERNMENT.

Subsidies, yeah, blah blah blah… fact remains, they’re not our government.

• Puzzled on January 5, 2012 at 10:35

Make no mistake, though – when paleo does get acted on by the authorities, the following will happen:
      1. Early adopters will be trashed as being completely wrong about it and doing it wrong
      2. It will be in a bizarre bastardized form that does nothing for our health, but
      3. It will involve a ton of supplements, prescription drugs, and new (manufactured) products.

3. Tom on December 26, 2011 at 12:21

Complete and utter crap. I would imagine the supervisor writing the author up is fat and diabetic thanks to gummint advice and the author’s improvement in their health made the supervisor feel insecure.

4. Sara on December 26, 2011 at 12:22

Absolutely incredible. How sad; and I was feeling sorry for myself because my guests during Christmas dinner scoffed at my grain/dairy/sugar/soy free pumpkin “pie.”

We are cattle ranchers and support local farmers. Unfortunately, many people out here are offended that I would speak up against big-Ag, as if corporate farms are doing some huge favor to the people of Montana. That assumption couldn’t be more wrong, but it’s a hard conversation to have without having the other party take everything I say out of context and refuse to listen to the facts. You’re right, things are going to be tough. We just have to stick it out!

5. Jerry on December 26, 2011 at 12:36

The solution is simple. Whenever anyone else discusses diet, note the date, time, and context in a notebook. After a few months of this, take it to your supervisor and politely explain that you demand that the “no discussion of diet” rule be equally enforced among all employees, and that anything less would be discrimination. Make sure to point out that you have written records of the conversations that took place, and explain that it’s wrong for him/her to single you out. At least it will put him/her on notice that this kind of nonsense is wrong. If you work in an academic hospital, then contact FIRE (www.thefire.org).

• Blumel on December 26, 2011 at 14:32

Unless I read it wrong, it sounded like the rule is closer to “no discussion of anything that directly contradicts official government policy.”

• Keith Thomas on December 27, 2011 at 10:51

And we laugh at North Korea. We felt it was something to do with America’s free spirit which enabled it to survive when the encrusted Soviet Union crumbled under 70 years of “no discussion of anything that directly contradicts government policy”. There are thoughtful and workable suggestions above and below on this page that the nurse should find useful. But what gets me is the larger issue of a society that appears to condone this particular form of what may be loosely called “political correctness”. I can tolerate a little political correctness where it might help people who have suffered from extreme incorrectness (race, gender etc). That’s the sort of political correctness that’s pretty open and most people know how to read and deconstruct it. But here we have someone being told to deny science in a way reminiscent of biology under Lysenko in the Soviet Union. Thanks to “Author” for taking the time and effort to write to Richard. And thanks to Richard for posting.
      BTW, here’s the blog of a paleo GP over my way:

• Richard Nikoley on December 27, 2011 at 12:10

Hey Keith. I just published a post on PC a few minutes ago.

• Puzzled on January 5, 2012 at 10:36

Right, we’re totally different. We’ve discovered that it’s stupid and wasteful for the government to restrict speech – we leave it to cronies. You’re allowed to say whatever you want, you just won’t work. Oh, and we make sure that what you say doesn’t really matter anyway.

• Emma on December 27, 2011 at 01:38

Awesome idea Jerry and exactly what I would do in the same situation.

• James on December 27, 2011 at 08:34

Sorry Emma, and Jerry, although I agree wholeheartedly, it would be the surest way to get fired. You could subsequently start up a wrongful dismissal suit but you’d have to do some serious fundraising first.

6. PaleoDentist on December 26, 2011 at 12:37

Not at all surprising. This young nurse can just keep her mouth shut for the rest of her career. She can pursue this legally and make a real legal stink out of this (sort of like evolution being taught in school) and get medial attention. this will bring Paleo on the map very quickly… Any paleo Lawyers out there that want to take on the cause pro-bono? or she can change careers toward Paleo-nutrition.

As a private practitioner (dentist), I counsel my sick patients every day and give out free copies of Sisson’s and Wolf’s books to my patients. The ones who listen have reaped the rewards. and I feel great healing my patients!

• Michael Gold on December 27, 2011 at 08:12

PaleoDentist: know of any paleo dentists in Houston, TX?

• Nathaniel on December 27, 2011 at 21:14

Know any Paleo Dentists in Seattle? My wife is going into dental hygiene and she wants to be able to tell people to stop eating wheat, lol.

• Brandon on January 10, 2012 at 18:35

Dr. Jason Fligor at new32 is paleo, though he doesn’t advertise it. His office is near U Village. Google will find his phone number for you.

Both my wife and I are very happy with the work he does.

7. tess on December 26, 2011 at 13:07

it’s enough to make you crazy! my dear friend next door is a retired nurse, and despite her husband’s and her health problems while doing what “conventional wisdom” tells them to do, i CAN’T be right about Paleo because that’s not what she was taught decades ago. EEEEEEK.

why can’t people see that cw is NOT WORKING????

• Blumel on December 26, 2011 at 14:29

Because that would be admitting that she shortened the lives of the very people she was trying to help live longer. If you take an extreme view, you could even say she was responsible for killing any of her patients who followed any dietary advice she gave and who eventually died of metabolic diseases. Most people who pledge their lives to a system can’t handle it when that same system proves broken, let alone the guilt that comes when that system has racked up a body count.

• Unamused Mouse on December 27, 2011 at 09:33

This is another reason I wouldn’t want to discuss this too much with my step-mom nutritionist…she’s recently retired and my dad’s health stresses her out enough on a day-to-day basis (they take him to Emerg any time his heart/blood pressure does something funny, as a precaution) and I would not want to see her go through that devastating moment of realization that she’s contributed to many patients’ ills. I just wouldn’t want to crush her like that – it’s not her fault; she preached what she was taught under the assumption that it was the right information to preach.

I just wish something could be done for my dad while he’s still on this planet, though.

• Keenan Nichols on December 27, 2011 at 10:03

Unamused Mouse, you think her feelings are more important than your father’s life? You may need to re-evaluate your choice. Why not get to thinking how to introduce this to them. Maybe one at a time with books or something.

When I saw how huge my father had gotten in the past few years, I immediately confronted him. “All this money you’ve been investing for retirement is for naught. Look at you. Your not going to make it.” He started Paleo that day and lost 25 pounds in little over a month. He recently asked me for more information.

• Blumel on December 27, 2011 at 11:49

Keenan, is feeling morally superior more important than understanding the problem at hand? It’s not about sparing somebody’s feelings. It’s about getting somebody to listen to you at all. People who stand to lose that much, psychologically, will not believe you even when you provide scientific studies proving you are right. They are too invested to easy change their beliefs. So, how do you jump that hurdle? It’s a difficult question and I don’t have an answer to it (yet).

Unamused Mouse, I think Keenan is right about one thing: take the information directly to the person who needs it. If you can convince your father directly (and preferably alone) that paleo is something he should try, he might be able to convince her.

8. Sean on December 26, 2011 at 13:16

Obviously we need a reality TV show about trashy Paleos. That would be allowable water cooler talk.

“Did you see Billy get slapped with that grass-fed steak last night?’

How about The Real Food Eaters of Orange County?

• Nathaniel on December 27, 2011 at 21:18

Brilliant!

9. finndistan on December 26, 2011 at 13:22

At work, am the healthiest, amongs friends, am the only one who does not get sick every second week (actually the only time I got something this year was after a binge drinking and eating event, dust allergy flared up and moved to the lungs. Two days of sleep, paleo, and vit d cleared something that a friend told me ‘man I had the same thing for three months now’…) but, you know, I am doing it wrong when I pass the cookie..

In line as the mailer, a family that was feeding the kids low carb (right or wrong, but cannot be more wrong than choco cornflakes with syrup for breakfast, , and haribo as snacks) was threatened with the removaş of the children because

‘”A strict low-carb diet is very fatty, and it suppresses hunger. If you down eggs and bacon for breakfast it will take hours before you can even imagine eating again.”

“A growing child needs a varied diet.”‘

(From mangans.blogspot)

Yea, a child needs all the candy, cakes, low fat fruit aromaed joghurt and ben & jerries.

Damn.

Another reason for vox’s Homeschool or Die philosophy, which is impossible in this social welfare state.

At least keep the kids at home, feed them for six years and when someone complains, show them the sick leave statistics.

10. Todd on December 26, 2011 at 13:43

It sounds like we all have had experiences with this type of crap. I lost about 30 pounds eating real foods instead of the processed crap. People think you’re a ticking timebomb for a coronary when you tell them you eat bacon, eggs, rare red meat, and a lot of fat. Oh, and it’s usually the fat asses, who suffer from multiple health issues, and take a myriad of prescriptions that give you strangest looks like I’m the asshole.

• Dana on December 31, 2011 at 00:16

I’m a fatass and suffering from multiple health issues (minor at this point, thankfully–my labs are mostly OK though, so’s my BP), and I eat bacon and eggs and rare meat and a lot of fat. Trouble is I keep backsliding into that fucking wheat. But my point is, don’t judge someone by their weight, I don’t know how many fucking times I have to say this. Even Richard didn’t lose all his weight overnight. NO ONE ever does.

• Todd on December 31, 2011 at 07:25

I agree with you about judging someone based on their weight. Maybe he/she has already lost 100 pounds or their is some legitimate health issue to blame, but that wasn’t the angle I was coming from.

I’m talking about the people who take a cholesterol or blood pressure pill and then think they can eat and do whatever they want because the prescriptions they take will regulate their body for them. The people who are sheep and know that they have problems, but they’re too damn lazy or think that this must just be the way it is. So they scarf down another big mac with fries and a diet coke. You know what, better supersize that. But, when they see someone who is healthy and fit looking and find out what they’re doing to be that way they lambaste them. So the healthy looking guy must be an idiot because the goverment, the FDA, and their good doctor say that they take a cholesterol pill because its actually good for you and to keep eating those grains and low fat packaged foods! Somehow for them though the weight continues to pile on year after year and they feel progressively worse.

Those are the fat asses that give you the strangest looks.

11. Christian on December 26, 2011 at 14:21

I am thinking that you hit it from the side, sneak attack. Whenever you want to “introduce” paleo, get a conversation going and ask them if they have ever seen a TED talk. Then have a select three videos that have nothing to do with diet, but are extremely interesting. If there is interest, tell them that you found this one about a woman that used nutrition to get out of a wheelchair. http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxIowaCity-Dr-Terry-Wahls-Min

Can they complain about a TED Talk? Really?

12. Tin Tin on December 26, 2011 at 14:33

Have any of the vegan/vegetarian nurses been given notice about discussing their diets? I doubt it. Have any of the obese nurses been banned from discussing their diets? Have any of the smokers been banned from discussing cigarettes? Does your hospital cater for jewish diets? Do they cater for vegetarian diets? Do they cater for gluten free diets? Why do they not cater for paleo diets?

I take a different approach when discussing my diet. I never, ever mention the word paleo or heaven forbid, the term caveman diet! If you tell someone to eat more vegetables, fruit, meat and eggs they can’t really argue with you at all. If you tell someone to avoid processed foods they can’t really argue with that either. If you tell someone to avoid foods with too much added salt and sugar they can’t really argue with that either. If you tell someone to skip a meal if they’re not really hungry they can’t really argue with that. But guess what? If they follow this advice, they’re about 80-90% paleo and you haven’t offended anyone. I’ve had to use this methodology with friends and family who are either hard core christians who would freak out at the idea that a diet was based on some sort of evolutionary philosophy or people who’ve been brainwashed with bro-science. It has worked in a lot of cases and some of these people now eat more paleo than I do!

• Paul d on December 26, 2011 at 17:06

Tin tin

brilliant advice. Enough said. And of course record everything, date it, and get as much recorded verbatim. Don’t ever write interpretations, just observations. No need for martyrdom.

• James on December 27, 2011 at 08:44

Completely agree with this approach. It takes the best of what they already do, or feel they should be doing. They get a reaffirmation from someone for whom it obviously since he/she lost weight and seems to feel great. And once they are on that route the slow replacement of a sandwich or a bowl or cereals here and there, does not appear to be that difficult. Also that last question will undoubtedly come because if they still have a fairly high carb and omega 6 intake they will start to wonder why you have even more success than they have.

• Dana on December 31, 2011 at 00:16

YES. There is always the sneak attack method. 😀

13. R.K. on December 26, 2011 at 14:36

There probably is a work rule the supervisor can use to support his/her position, something along the line of, ‘Do not discuss personal matters on company time.’ So although Jerry is legally correct (make a record of all such conversations and challenge the manager later), in practice, the supervisor will put the worker on an internal black list and subsequently assign junk work to our paleo nurse.

I counsel that this nurse remain quiet during these informal co-worker conversations about favorite fast food restaurants and healthiest fibrous cereal. If a co-worker asks directly, ‘Hey, you lost a lot of weight, how did you do that?” the reply is, ‘That issue is one that I do not discuss during the hours that I am being paid. I take my coffee breaks in the cafeteria, and sometimes I take a walk during my lunch break. If you would like to join me during one of those times, we would have plenty of time to discuss any personal topic we want to cover.”

• Tin Tin on December 26, 2011 at 14:51

If I was given an official warning like that I’d just carry a few copies of it around in my back pocket and hand them out to anyone who asked about my weight loss. I wouldn’t recommend you do that of course.

14. Matt R. on December 26, 2011 at 15:00

This is sad to hear, but I’m not surprised given the politics of health and nutrition these days. It’s tough enough to work in an office where junk food is a constant, let alone watching sick people eat it.

15. John on December 26, 2011 at 15:12

This is an interesting thread. My weight loss is 40 ponds and my general fitness is better than 95% of the people I work with. I am also 10 -20 years older than most of them. What I have found is that we just need to set the example and let the interested people come to you. I’m the guy with an actual steak for lunch but never any bread. People definitely notice how I eat and most end up asking about it. Take the tack that Tin TIN uses from a previous message. Never call it a diet or Paleo or Caveman. The real kicker is that I work in pharmaceutical manufacturing. The people here understand the science and agree that it makes sense. My primal blueprint cookbook has made several rounds of readers. That is in contrast to my primary care physician. At my last routine physical he was very impressed with my weight, blood pressure and blood chemistry. I simply told him I paid attention to what I eat. His response was, “are you eating a lot of whole grains”? I’m not kidding. He simply could not wrap his head around not eating grain.

16. David Rourke on December 26, 2011 at 15:28

As the paleo movement grows and becomes more threatening to those who have staked their careers on standard government nutritional advice, this kind of thing will happen more and more, especially in healthcare.

17. William on December 26, 2011 at 17:50

People at work ASKED this nurse some questions. What is she supposed to say? Is she supposed to lie, and say, “I’m healthy, lost forty pounds, feel great, and have energy to spare because of eat nothing but grains, pastries with loads of sugar, and run 120 miles a week.”

18. R.K. on December 26, 2011 at 18:00

As a small follow-up, I know two nurses who lost their jobs due to internal politics (at least that’s their version). The impression I got from them is that one must be very, very politically careful around other nurses, because a co-worker could be making a Richard III move to ‘get ahead’. That’s why my advice is to talk about personal matters, such as your paleo Way of Eating, only on your own personal time.

Another alternative is to fire that boss. Often one can move between departments in a larger organization.

19. Author on December 26, 2011 at 18:51

I’m the author of this email. Let me first say that I’m a dude! Ha! It’s funny how everyone assumes it’s a female because it’s a nurse. Anyway, no big deal. I really like Tin Tin’s approach. That seems to be the safest. But people DO ask specific, science-y questions and it’s hard not to get into that stuff. But I guess I have to save that for outside of work. I’m changing hospitals soon so we’ll see what happens in the future.

• James on December 27, 2011 at 08:58

In the meantime get your ducks in a row and get your facts not only straight but handy. I am not suggesting you relate all this stuff, but put the references that would back up your diet and lifestyle approach, on a handy card in your back pocket. Refrain as much as possible to do this at work or during office hours. Give a party. Find some reasons to celebrate. Celebrate that you lost 20 lbs, 30lbs. Whatever it takes. Throw a pot-luck and give hints of what to bring.
      However you have to realize that we are still in the dark ages about most of this stuff and the change is slow. Trust it will change, but it will take time.
      Although I agree with Bill Strahan , you’d be walking close to the edge.

• Galina L. on December 28, 2011 at 07:18

Often I explain to other people that I follow the VLC diet in order to prevent migraines (which is true), often I add that on that diet other issues disappeared like, asthma, eczema, urinary tract infections, gums inflamation, I have not been having seasonal flues for four years , no pre-menstrual or pre-menopausal symptoms as well. My son tells to anybody who asks that he manages his allergies with the gluten-free diet. There are always disappearing illnesses on a paleo diet that you can claim as a legitimate reason to be on the diet besides that weight loss or feeling great explanation.

• meliss1204 on December 28, 2011 at 12:09

Dude…get out of the hospital setting if you can. I’m a RN and been in the game for about 9 years with 6 1/2yrs in neuro/trauma ICU and now 3 in ambulatory surgery centers (not owned by a hospital). The shenanigans of hospital politics is just too much and I will never go back. I still am careful what I say to patients about diet. I always phrase it “that your doctor recommends…” so I have a clear conscienous. If they ask me personally, then I tell them pretty much what Tin Tin said and recommend the book “Wheat Belly” by Dr William Davis (again no evolution disparity) if they want to look into “something different”. But as far as co-workers, I am asked constantly about what I eat mainly because I refuse the lunches our docs and admins buy for us and because my food smells or looks “so good”. I can talk freely without any repercussions. It doesn’t surpise me what is happening to you…at all…typical hospital bs. Word of advise for any newer nurses…don’t trust anyone you work with until you really get to know them. Nurses will throw each other under the bus left and right for their own personal gain and to make themselves look better than you. And Bill RN is correct in my opinion, the more male nurses the more normal the staff. It’s like testosterone helps balance out the crazy (and I’m a chick btw) but it doesn’t affect the management above you. If your management is bonkers, it will filter down to the staff in any setting. And as far as putting up the good fight like some people are posting, good luck especially in a hospital. You will more than likely end up in front of the board defending your nursing license i.e. your livelihood. People always ask me why nurses can be so mean and grumpy…I just smile and wish I could blame it all on gluten;).

20. Bill Strahan on December 26, 2011 at 20:04

Solution is simple: Don’t talk about your diet, talk about someone else’s diet.

“I hear about this guy named Richard at Freetheanimal.com, and he TRIES to eat more saturated fat. Guy has lost weight, gotten stronger, and looks great. As to what I eat, I’ve been asked not to discuss it.”

Take that idea and run with it. If they prohibit you from talking about something occurring in the world (Richard does eat that way) then ask them to create explicit guidelines for ALL employees on what aspects of reality are available to be bantered about.

And if THAT doesn’t work, complain when anyone discusses crap. Talking about the Kardashians? Complain to your supervisor that there is needless discussion of mindless whores engaging in wildly dangerous sexually promiscuous activity and that you think it’s inappropriate to discuss at work.

Be a thorn.

• Elenor on December 27, 2011 at 14:07

Thorns usually get clipped off!

21. Mike M on December 26, 2011 at 21:44

When I first went Paleo a few years ago I had great results and was excited to discuss it. Unfortunately, I got a lot of negative feedback too. I realized that most people will listen only when they are ready. But if they truly aren’t open to something different, and most are not, then any discussion you have with them will go nowhere. And they may even resent you over time because you will be right and successful in your health journey, and they will likely fail.

If I were you I would not discuss it at work unless you are specifically asked what you are doing successfully and only then in a private discussion. Sometimes the best response is to recommend they check out dailyapple, freetheanimal, or rob wolf and leave it at that. If questioned further I’d be very vague and say the diet is based mostly on healthy meats and vegetables, or something like that. If the person is serious they will take the next step.

Good luck!

22. Eric Shefferman on December 26, 2011 at 21:54

Doesn’t this point to at least part of the difficulty? :

“Be a thorn.”

Pick any topic that ISN’T your thing (global warming, politics, nuclear energy, legalizing marijuana, crossfit, recycling, etc.), think of some zealot trying to “be a thorn”, and think about how much you can tolerate listening to them no matter how valid their message might be.

It’s great on a paleo blog to preach to the already converted about how much paleo has changed your life, but when you’re not preaching to the already converted you can’t use the same style.

Not speaking for what the email author does or doesn’t do, just looking at the tone of the follow-up comments.

I think what Tin Tin wrote is brilliant:

“If you tell someone to eat more vegetables, fruit, meat and eggs they can’t really argue with you at all. If you tell someone to avoid processed foods they can’t really argue with that either. If you tell someone to avoid foods with too much added salt and sugar they can’t really argue with that either. If you tell someone to skip a meal if they’re not really hungry they can’t really argue with that. But guess what? If they follow this advice, they’re about 80-90% paleo and you haven’t offended anyone.”

• Bill Strahan on December 27, 2011 at 07:59

Eric,

Re-read what I typed. I wasn’t saying for this guy to be an ass and “Be a thorn” to people who don’t want to hear his dietary advice, experience, etc. I agree 100% with your view that you can only take so much of that type of approach. For me, it’s about 10 seconds before I’m going to start dicking around with that person. (Tell the global warming alarmist that running your truck is recycling old dinosaurs back into the atmosphere from which the plants they ate originally took that carbon! Then rev the engine a few times, sniff the air, and say “Mmmm. Dinosaur.”)

I was saying he needs to be a thorn in the side of the bureaucracy that tells him he can’t talk about his own experience while others can. He needs to be a thorn in a set of rules that says all kinds of bullshit can be discussed at work EXCEPT what the guy eats. He needs to be a thorn in his supervisor, who probably can’t clearly define what he wants. Punish him for that ambiguity.

I haven’t been an employee in a long time, but when I was I found the fastest way to effect change in every organization I was involved with was to be that thorn.

When given ridiculous rules, follow them in a way that causes more trouble than anyone expected. Point out every violation of those rules by others. If the rules aren’t evenly applied, ask for clarification EVERY TIME. In time the rule itself will be the problem.

Ramming dietary advice down someones throat isn’t being a thorn, it’s being a belligerent ass. Creating pressure within an organization to change rules that are unreasonable by making the rule the problem is also being a belligerent ass, but that’s the ass that people will be thanking when the organization is a better place to work and thrives in the marketplace.

23. Din Din on December 26, 2011 at 23:40

Is there any paleo hospital around?. The paleo doctors, nurses, and dietitians can work together to heal the sick.

24. pixel on December 27, 2011 at 01:45

I can see a reason for this policy. imagine some new nurse coming in and suddenly all the patients are eating 30 bananas a day. the only “tested” or approvable guidelines they have are CW, “proved” because some people can look good sweating it out, and what the ADA / USDA tells them.

Id be more scared if they let you tell people what to eat. to bring the above example to light, there are a handfull of people who are, or at least appear to be, very healthy eating 30 bananas a say.

the break in this chain is that the actual nutritionists are also constrained by CW and ADA/USDA nonsense. and that the medical field in general doesnt seem to grasp the role of nutrition in all this to begin with. too much greed in the way.

• Richard Nikoley on December 27, 2011 at 05:07

Pixel

People aren’t children, nor should they be treated as such.

Official doctrine is always bullshit, no matter the reason or the package. Someone wants to spout 30BAD, fine. If someone is that stupid then they get to be as stupid as they want to be.

This is not equivalent to telling a child it’s OK to go ahead and pet the crocodile.

• Bill Strahan on December 27, 2011 at 08:05

Amen.

You tell the child not to pet the crocodile.

You tell the adult that you wouldn’t pet the crocodile if it was your choice. You might even point them to some books like The Crocodile Petting Solution or blogs like DontFreeTheCrocodile.

Then you let the adult make his choice.

• Noah on December 27, 2011 at 10:10

Lol

• Jasen on December 27, 2011 at 15:40

And then big Govt steps in and implements a program to teach people the dangers of petting crocodiles and pay SS benefits to victims of crocodile biting “mishaps” and subsequently raises our taxes again.

• Sonagi on January 2, 2012 at 11:57

LOL, the owner of the crocodile might get sued anyway after some reckless idiot pokes the animal with a stick and then gets bitten.

• Dana on December 31, 2011 at 00:23

You can’t expect someone to know something if they don’t even know they should look for it.

I found all this stuff completely by accident. I got curious about the Atkins books I kept seeing everywhere and it just sort of snowballed from there. Even then I went back and forth for a long time because I’d read something from a vegan and get scared. I had ZERO background other than a year of honors bio in high school to back me up at all (I learned about cellular respiration and what insulin does, that year).

And I’m interested in biological stuff. A lot of people aren’t. And they don’t deserve to die just because the food is now biting back and takes 50 years to chew all the way through you.

This isn’t about being an adult. It’s about our instinct to eat things that don’t immediately sicken or kill us, being co-opted/hacked by stupid and greedy government officials AND big business. The only antidote is better information but if someone doesn’t know to look for said information, it officially does not exist. No one is omniscient.

I have no answers about Nurse Dude. And people are bombarded by stupid “nutritional” information too much already. Like the junk food the hospital feeds people isn’t bad enough. I need to dig up the menu from my daughter’s stay in the hospital in ’10. It’ll scare you.

25. Brett Legree on December 27, 2011 at 01:51

Welcome to the Machine. We will tell you what to think, and you will think it, even if it is wrong.

I have been working for the government where I live for over a decade, and you learn that there is a lot wrong with the way things are done, there is a lot of money wasted, and no one wants to hear your ideas for change. I am not prohibited from talking about Paleo as you are because it has nothing to do with any of this, but there are other things that just boil my blood every day.

The rampant stupidity and waste of taxpayer money makes me want to gouge my eyes out, but I’ve learned not to say anything. Sad to be a part of the hypocrisy simply by remaining silent, but sometimes you just have to say, “fine, if you want to eat that shit, get fat and fucking die, fill your boots”.

(Or in my case, “if you want to run expensive, buggy, insecure and obsolete software purchased from a foreign nation’s company when we could do much better with free/open source software, have at it gentlemen – I’m only here for the kick-ass salary and the benefits anyway”.)

Sometimes you have to work within the system to work the system.

Maybe an idea would be for this person to start a little consulting business on the side that specializes in Paleo nutrition?

That’s what I have done in my case, except I specialize in open source computer consulting.

At least they don’t own your mouth for 16 out of 24 hours, right?

26. rob on December 27, 2011 at 02:50

Two things I have learned not to discuss with people

1. Diet
    2. Exercise

27. Zik on December 27, 2011 at 03:11

3. Religion 🙂

What I am starting to learn is that the most important thing is to set an example and then keep quiet until asked – AND when asked most importantly not trying to convince but just tell the basics of what you do. It’s hard cause I do feel the urge to convince – but it’s in many cases not only the mind of 1 person you have to convince – but the mindset of the majority that has set the reality – and only very few people can discuss the reality openly – as if it can ever be discussed – mostly I guess we understand it best in a laugh or in a kiss 🙂

• Shameer M. on December 27, 2011 at 11:22

Well said. As the old Chinese proverb says;

If someone is thirsty give them only half a cup of water. If they are still thirsty, give them the other half.

28. Fred Hahn on December 27, 2011 at 05:55

My advice – talk about it more now but with other doctors and nurses. Little by little they will start trying it and then enjoying the benefits. They then will start to talk to their patients about it. There is power in numbers. Grass roots effort baby. It works. Patience is a virtue.

29. Stephen on December 27, 2011 at 06:38

It’s illegal to tell someone that discussing diet amongst co-workers is off limits. That supervisor needs a heads up on the law!

• rob on December 27, 2011 at 07:00

I can’t think of any law that it might violate.

• rob on December 27, 2011 at 13:36

Usually laws prohibiting discrimination, such as the Civil Rights Act of 1964, are based on immutable characteristics.

Definition of IMMUTABLE
      : not capable of or susceptible to change

If you are black you can’t change your mind about being black, if you are female you can’t change your mind about being female (Chaz Bono not withstanding) … but being Paleo just doesn’t fit the bill, you could be Paleo today and Vegan tomorrow … so I don’t think it is remotely possible that a law will be passed making Paleo people a protected class.

• Richard Nikoley on December 27, 2011 at 14:29

Thank god for small favors.

• Sean on December 27, 2011 at 08:55

I’m not sure it is illegal, it certainly shouldn’t be. If I want to fire or reprimand an employee for endorsing a competitor, using foul language, or just because I feel like it, that ought to be my prerogative as long as it doesn’t break a consensually signed contract that states otherwise.

When the government, with its official policies, its near monopoly on many areas of research, lack of accountability, public sector unions, etc, gets involved in the process, we are looking at a different kettle of fish altogether. This nurse was effectively told to endorse the party line or else. Microsoft or Apple probably do something similar. The huge difference is that the much more free market of the IT industry (vs health care and health research) allows talented people to pick and choose the companies they want to work for and the products or ideas they choose to embrace, and the private sector companies (which are actually accountable to their customers) have to compete in a freer market for these talented people, so they might think twice about firing the talent just because of a few infractions.

• Dana on December 31, 2011 at 00:25

So in other words you have no idea what it’s like to be fired for no reason. Gotcha.

• Puzzled on January 5, 2012 at 10:44

I think he just recognizes that such a law would end up interpreted to protect only people who really deserve to be fired by private companies, and never to protect those who don’t, and never, ever to harm government operations.

30. Gabriele on December 27, 2011 at 06:46

I also work in a hospital, although in a clerical (non-threatening) job. So it’s not part of my job to interact with patients. From everything i have read and from what i see at work, hospitals and doctors and the whole medical industry are VERY conservative. The paleo diet or any other “new” diet won’t be accepted without trials, studies, reports, testimonials by other doctors, and god knows what else required to be accepted by the medical community. They seem to love to hang onto outdated information. As i walk the halls of where i have worked for over 25 years, i routinely see overweight, unhealthy people, both staff and patients. The idea that saturated fat might actually be GOOD for you is the most threatening and frightening concept of all. That’s not going to be embraced overnight. And all the nutritionists have the same training and believe in the government food pyramid. It’s an entire culture that one person can’t change and it’s no use trying to fight it yourself, you are up against a massive brick wall of stubbornness. This might help you: the way i see it when i think of this is that my paycheck is signed by people who are part of this industry and in agreeing to work here i have to accept their culture and respect their wisdom even if i disagree with it. :((

31. Paleo discriminatie | Het Paleo Perspectief on December 27, 2011 at 07:13

[…] en nog eens informeren. Dat kan consequenties hebben voor de boodschappers. Zojuist publiceerde Richard Nikoley van Free The Animal toevallig een brief van een verpleegkundige die een officiële waarschuwing […]

32. AnnaA on December 27, 2011 at 07:41

When my type 3 diabetic husband was in hospital the diet included white bread, sweet canned fruit, gravy on mashed potatoes, etc. I had to bring food in for him. They also stopped his regular meds (pills) and put him on insulin.

The hospital nutritionists are the most pasty-faced floppy lardy people I have seen in quite some time.

33. Keenan Nichols on December 27, 2011 at 08:13

This is an example of government intervention. You are indoctrinated in school to stand in line and never question authority. The wonders of government schools. Now, you are in a government run/regulated hospital. Good Citizen, who are you to question authority? The government takes care of you, feeds you, loves you. Don’t make them angry. You might make the naughty list and won’t be able to work for any government hospital, which is all now. (Fascism is where there is a pretense of private property, but the fat bureaucrats run it.)

Fight for the separation of government and education and the separation of government and the economy, both for the same reasons as the separation of church and state. For details, and ammunition, read Capitalism, the Unknown Idea.

Never take health advice from a fat, sickly man. Never work for government. Start sending out resumes.

• Author on December 27, 2011 at 08:26

If only it were that simple.

• Sean on December 27, 2011 at 10:33

As the author wrote earlier, “I’m changing hospitals soon so we’ll see what happens in the future.” He’s obviously already sent out resumés.

As for the rest of it, your willingness to dish out shallow advice and your lack of subtlety, I’m generously guessing you are a freshman in college?

• Keenan Nichols on December 27, 2011 at 11:13

“Shallow advice” is an insult and Ad Hominem, meaning you are attacking the man instead of the argument. And so is your “generous” guess that I am a freshman. I am a Computer Engineer and nearly 40. Neither pieces of information have anything to do with the truth in what I said.

• Sean on December 27, 2011 at 11:53

My bad. You just write like a college freshman. Try being less dogmatic and you will come across better. And thanks for mentioning ad hominem, I’ve heard of these so-called fallacies of logic but never really paid attention.

I will cut to the chase: don’t fucking lecture people because you sound like a dick. Blah blah, don’t put up with the man, blah blah, fight the government, blah, blah, read this book, blah, blah.

• gallier2 on December 27, 2011 at 13:46

No, “shallow advice” is definitly not an ad hominem fallacy. It is a critique of the your advice, not of your person. The second accusation, that you were a freshman in college could be construed as such, though.
      An ad hominem is to say, for instance, that yourt advice is bad because you have a big nose, or because you didn’t shower.

• Nathaniel on December 27, 2011 at 21:39

Merely insulting someone is not an “ad hominem.” That means arguing that someone is wrong because of personal characteristics that are not relevant to the issue.

What Sean did was merely speculate about you based on your posting. It may be insulting to you but please stop throwing around terms you don’t understand.

• Dana on December 31, 2011 at 00:30

I don’t have to be a capitalist to believe I should be able to raise my own kids without the government breathing down my neck. I know none of you libertarians want to believe this, but there are plenty of left-wingers who resent the intrusion too. I mean, it was being used against our camp in the Sixties when it (I wasn’t born yet) was “trying to change the world.” COINTELPRO, you know? I have yet to see that used against teabaggers, funny thing that.

Come to think of it, it’s rare I see really hard right-wingers up against the wall about to be blown away by government troops. Randy Weaver and his family were news for a reason. I wouldn’t have called Branch Davidians hard right-wingers… they were kind of loopy. But the Haymarket Riots? The Communist witch hunts? (I don’t believe in state-centered Communism, mind you–meet the new boss, same as the old boss.) The various minority-race liberation movements in the mid-20th? MLK and Bobby being shot? The anthrax letters sent to Democrats (mostly) after 9/11? Even George Orwell was a socialist, and helped fight the fascists (well, til he got shot in the head) in the Spanish civil war. He’s a big hero to the right-wingers now. I love it.

History. It is your friend.

• Paul Verizzo on December 31, 2011 at 13:39

“History. It is your friend.” Love it!

A few more:

The Pledge of Allegiance was written by a socialist, labor organizing, teacher.

“America the Beautiful” was written by a woman who lived and traveled with her best “friend” for many decades. Oh, the love that dares not speak its name.

I remember once at a church I was attending they were having some special Oscar Wilde play or something. Never realizing, of course, that he went to jail for…. that love again.

• Puzzled on January 5, 2012 at 10:46

Why wouldn’t I want to believe it? I believe libertarianism has leftist roots.

• Paul Verizzo on January 5, 2012 at 12:42

NOT HARDLY! You obviously don’t know your “isms.” We liberals believe in effective, good government that prevents the predators from eating the less predatory. We believe that only good government levels the playing field of life.

Libertarianism is more closely related to Classic Conservatism, those wanting a small government. (Except, of course, for farm subsidies, huge military contracts, and big police forces to keep the riff raff under control.) The “ism” of choice for those who got theirs already.

Libertarianism is a step away from anarchy. Just enough government to punish wrongdoers…….like Joe Sixpack will win in court. They are conservatives that want to smoke dope and get laid, ha ha.

34. Jasen on December 27, 2011 at 08:24

I don’t talk about paleo anymore. When asked about my weight loss I just make vague comments about diet and exercise. When I did talk about giving up grains and vegetable oils, peoples eyes would glaze over and they would go into a trance-like state and repeat their mantra “heart healthy whole grains, heart healthy whole grains, heart healthy whole grains.” Kinda scary actually.

• James on December 27, 2011 at 09:08

heart hurting holy grails, heart hurting holy grails, heart hurting holy grails.

35. Bill RN on December 27, 2011 at 14:07

To Anonymous,

I feel your pain. As a fellow male nurse, I’ve been in the same situation with management… just not regarding diet discussions. I would ask management if they have a written policy to back up what they reprimanded you for. If they don’t, their argument doesn’t hold water and I would suggest to them that they expunge that written reprimand from your file. Don’t be afraid to go up the chain of command. Sometimes you just have to fight back, in a friendly way.

I’d also follow what Jerry said… write it down. If you didn’t document it, it didn’t happen… right? Your journal and its entries are admissible as evidence if anything goes to trial.

In my experience, most of nursing management is middle-aged, overweight and female. And (some) female nurses are some of the most difficult to work with. They tend to be catty, produce lots of drama, and seem generally unhappy. Find a place with a higher percentage of male nurses, which tends to be the ER and ICU, and you’ll find that stuff will get better. Us guys just don’t care about drama.

I hope nursing school didn’t fill you with dreams and such. I hope they gave you a realistic view of was nursing is really like.

As for myself, I’ve mentioned the paleo diet to a couple of coworkers and quite a few patients… especially the patients who leave the ER with “undiagnosed abdominal pain.” It really doesn’t sink in with the coworkers though, even though you explain the science. They’d rather gravitate to veganism… since they read ” The China Study. ”

Keep up the good fight. The odds are stacked against you since only 8-11% of nurses are males. You’ll face some discrimination… horizontal violence. However, male nurses do advance the corporate ladder faster than the females.

• H Wolf on December 27, 2011 at 19:33

Bill RN, what exactly is wrong with veganism? Whole foods are whole foods are they not? Granted there are many vegans who rely on processed foods just like many of those on the S.A.D (Standard American Diet).

I’m a raw vegan and all of the “benefits” those who do Paleo rave about are felt by me as well. Only, there is one more crucial benefit – no animals need to suffer or die for me to live and thrive.

There is nothing wrong with veganism…even if one is using the processed options because at least they aren’t hurting any body else with their life choices.

• Nathaniel on December 27, 2011 at 21:41

Personally I’m against veganism for moral reasons. I think it is unethical for a human being to treat him or herself that way.

• Bill RN on December 27, 2011 at 23:00

** Whole food plants and whole food animal products are not nutritionally the same.
      **If a breast-fed child from vegetarian/vegan parents dies of malnutrition, that is exactly what is wrong. You can argue every aspect around it, but the root problem at that situation is adequate nutrition for the child… and the parent.

** That myth that no animals need to suffer or die for vegans has been debunked many times over.

There is nothing wrong with veganism…if there’s meat, fowl, fish, eggs to go with it.

• Dana on December 31, 2011 at 00:34

I would die if I went vegan, especially if I didn’t cheat and take B12 supplements. But first I would go blind and bleed out through my uterus. I can’t convert beta carotene well enough for it to do me any good as a vitamin A source. You know, I’ve heard through family that I have American Indian ancestry, so I probably can’t convert algae omega-3s to DHA and EPA either. Whoops.

Not hurting anyone, huh? What am I, chopped liver? Oh, that’s right. It’s not vegan. My bad.

• Dana on December 31, 2011 at 00:32

Female nurses usually have a second shift to go home to with kids and housework. Male nurses know they’ve got a wife or girlfriend doing all that shit at home already. And then go up the corporate ladder faster than the women. You’d be bitchy too. I know we are all supposed to rise above our obstacles even when we don’t actually have to face many of them because someone else got the scut work by virtue of an accident of birth, but hey, we’re also all human.

36. Marll on December 28, 2011 at 10:35

This is pretty typical of what I’ve seen from “health” professionals. I know many people that are nurses, or work in the medical field and at one time or another all of them have been very anti Paleo/Low Carb.

It’s the same story all the time, they have been fed the CW nonsense and come to believe it. A while back a friend of ours (my wife and I) that is a nurse was commenting even that kids “needed” sugar in their diets….I was floored with the stupidity of that statement. Since then thankfully her husband (who works with me daily) started getting her more and more Paleo and low carb and she has since changed her tune.

Another is my dad’s girlfriend, who has been a nurse for 30 years. She’s recently packed on a lot of weight after finishing a double Masters degree in nursing and taking a higher stress hospital job again, but seems skeptical and mortified at my diet. Funny thing is that her favorite flavor is bacon, but seems unwilling to eat it…as if the Doritos are doing better for her form and health….

As a side note as well, if anyone can recommend a Paleo friendly dentist and family doctor in the Greater Seattle area (Everett to be more specific) I’d much appreciate it. I’m looking for a new dentist and think that one that understands Paleo and also the research of Weston A. Price would be better for dental health than the typical dentist “break/fix” approach. Also while becoming more Paleo all the time, my wife appears to suffer hypothyroidism, though all doctors tell her she’s “normal”, I’d like to see a doctor that gets that numbers are not the whole story…

37. Janknitz on December 28, 2011 at 14:01

I worked in hospitals for more than 20 years, and food was always a topic of discussion among employees. There’s rarely time to leave for lunch (half hour lunch breaks are typical), so everyone eats together (staffing schedules permitting) and notices and comments on everyone else’s food. It drove me up the wall! I assumed the OP was a woman, because this is a prevalent topic of conversation in departments where the majority of employees are often women.

Tin Tin is exactly right. If I mention Paleo or low carb, eyes start to roll immediately. But if I say that I’ve cut sugar out of my diet, nobody argues. If I say I’m sensitive to grains, so I’ve cut them out, I get mostly nods of agreement. If I tell them I’ve stopped eating processed foods, I get praised.

I don’t go into the fat thing at all–people just can’t wrap their minds around that one (and I go through elaborate deceptions to hide the butter and coconut oil I stash to add to food–I just don’t want to have those conversations with people who can’t understand what I’m saying. I bring my full fat salad dressing in a non-descript container.

I’ve tried to tell people who are struggling with weight and health issues of the benefits of simple steps like cutting out wheat, but they just don’t get it. My niece suffers from terrible migraines and some nutritionist has told her to cut out all meat, fish, eggs, and nuts. Instead she eats horrible things–tons of PUFA drenched wheat-based carbs (mostly white flour-based) and very little else (she’s not a big fan of vegetables). Since she can’t work, she spends much of her free time baking cookies and cakes she eats with abandon.

I tried to talk to her and her mom about it, and the response was “the dietician said she shouldn’t be eating a lot of saturated fats and she can’t eat anything that walked, swam, or flew.” Meanwhile her migraine headaches are debilitating–she dropped out of college and cannot hold a job. Her mom has insulin resistance, and she’s not worried because “the doctor is watching it”.

URGH!

38. Cognitive dissident on December 30, 2011 at 05:57

I’ve wrestled with this issue for nearly a year – 10 months paleo and doing great – dropped near 20kg and feeling fine. I catch my self evangelising about all things primal whenever I get the chance, often initiating the conversation.

My father once told me that the most dogmatic people were schoolteachers and religious converts; one group spends all day at work overruling everyone, the other has to validate their own choice by converting others.

And yet, I’m in a constant state of cognitive dissonance, surrounded by obese, sick people who are only three squares a day away from complete remission if they just knew what to eat…

It’s hard to resist the temptation to preach.

39. Paleotard on January 6, 2012 at 12:53

I work as an engineer employed at a large hospital. Through the course of my work I meet several researchers that were performing different aspects of the diet and were discovering what I thought at the time were amazing research, which I later discovered that people like Marks Sisson, Art De Veny already knew and had been preaching for years.

Fast forward a year and I discover that the research group had been closed down “I don’t know why”, and the large hospital has been receiving a large grants to research the benefits of heart healthy grains!

So I know the pain that the nurse is going through.

40. Dave, RN on January 11, 2012 at 18:27

” I would imagine the supervisor writing the author up is fat and diabetic”

Yup. Fat nurses are the elephant in the room that we nurses don’t talk about.

But, I’m not, and when it comes to something heavy that needs to be moved, it’s “Dave… can you come move this?” They don’t even bother asking anyone else.

But me and my crazy unhealthy diet…

41. Friday the 13th « lowcarbhighstyle on January 13, 2012 at 14:19

[…] What you’re Up Against from Free the Animal  – Reading something like this really scares me when it comes to the government taking over healthcare. New views, ideas, and experiences are simply not wanted, we are all about the status quo and proving that what we’ve been doing is right, instead of maybe taking a step back and seeing possible alternatives. Because conventional wisdom has clearly been working so well… […]

42. Low-Carb Discrimination » Bydio on January 23, 2012 at 10:27

[…] via What You’re Up Against Update. […]

43. » Why 92% of New Year’s Resolutions Already Failed, and 140 Better Ones The Bulletproof Executive on October 17, 2012 at 14:03

[…] Don’t let conventional wisdom about food keep you from helping others, especially patients.  […]