What’s in the Free the Animal Book Chapter by Chapter?

This is a draft, so there may be some changes by the time it actually comes out. And the bullets are just general descriptions of what’s in the chapters, not the sub-headings, of which each chapter contains quite a few.

~~~

Free The Animal 1: Losing Weight And Fat The Primal Way

Drawing on evolutionary logic, scientific research, and his own personal experiences, blogger Richard Nikoley of Free the Animal (freetheanimal.com) presents a complete guide to losing weight and fat the natural way.

After many frustrating years of trying to lose weight by adhering to mainstream nutritional guidelines, Richard made a radical decision to throw the rules out. Instead of eating whole grains and lean meat, he ate what his body had always craved: animal fat, and lots of it—and the extra weight started falling away.

In Free The Animal 1: Losing Weight And Fat The Primal Way, Richard shares his tips for eating, fasting, and exercising as wild humans did for millenia. Find out how to embrace your primal cravings for nutritionally dense animal fats and fiber-rich plant sources. Learn to stop listening to the “experts” and start tuning in to your body’s natural signals. Richard’s approach to the paleo lifestyle will help you lose fat, gain muscle, and unleash the energy of the animal inside you.

What’s In The Book:

• The basic principles of the paleo, primal, ancestral lifestyle
  • A primal plan for losing weight by eating Real Food
  • A guide to exercising like our ancestors
  • Instructions on how to lose fat by fasting
  • Recipes, shopping tips, and videos

Introduction

• Introduces the paleo way as an alternative to mainstream diet choices

Chapter 1: The paleo, Primal, Ancestral Lifestyle

• Describes the basic principles of the paleo, primal, ancestral lifestyle
  • Includes a brief summary of 6 key paleo life changes

Chapter 2: Your Inner Animal

• Reviews how our ancestors lived, and how modern humans have evolved in unhealthy ways
  • Explores what is meant by “inner animal”—the animal inside all of us—especially as it relates to food

Chapter 3: The Standard American Diet And Other Diet Health Disasters

• Describes how eating processed foods and excess carbohydrates leads to obesity
  • Includes a section on the perils of veganism

Chapter 4: Fat Is King

• Counters the common assumption that fat is unhealthy
  • Explains how to eat fat to lose weight

Chapter 5: The Cholesterol Con

• Includes research proving that saturated fat is not unhealthy
  • Reveals the truth behind cholesterol numbers

Chapter 6: Natural Disease Prevention

• Discusses the role paleo can play in preventing and curing diabetes and cancer
  • Explains how vitamin D is a key factor in paleo nutrition

Chapter 7: Eat Like A Caveman

• Provides a guide to choosing Paleo-friendly foods
  • Includes information on CSAs and other resources for grassfed meat and eggs

Chapter 8: The Power Of Fasting

• Explains how humans evolved to undergo periods of hunger
  • Includes a guide to incorporating fasting into your lifestyle

Chapter 9: Evolutionary Exercise And Fitness

• Richard describes his workout routine
  • Explains why cardio exercise is the wrong approach to weight loss

Chapter 10: A Primal Weight Loss Plan

• A concise guide to eating, exercising, and fasting the paleo way
  • Includes common pitfalls for beginners

Chapter 11: Recipes and Supplements

• Includes six Paleo-friendly recipes
  • Provides a list of supplement recommendations

Chapter 12: Success Stories

• Richard shares his blog readers’ success stories

1. Danielle on December 22, 2011 at 08:15

I am SO excited for your book’s release! I think it is probably the only paleo/ primal material that my husband will read. He thinks you are completely hilarious, so it will be viewed not just as informative, but also as entertainment.

2. Sean on December 22, 2011 at 08:24

Richard I’ll be very interested to see how well this book does. I’d really love to see it do well, and not just for your sake, but to continue this trend of bloggers turning into authors which I think is the wave of the future. I’d love to see my favorite bad-ass bloggers be able to give up their day jobs and write full time.

• Richard Nikoley on December 22, 2011 at 08:24

Thanks Sean. You & me both.

• Tim Huntley on December 22, 2011 at 13:51

Hey Richard,

Best wishes for your success with the book!

Have you said how it will be sold/distributed? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere.

…Tim

• Richard Nikoley on December 22, 2011 at 14:00

Tim:

As I understand it, it will be direct on Hyperink as PDF with lifetime guarantee, 100% refund, and lifetime updates (which I plan to do at least 4 times per year). That’ll be a higher price point. It will also be available on Kindle, Nook and iBooks for a lesser price (perhaps way lesser, judging by what I’ve seen with their other offerings).

I believe it will also be available on Amazon print on demand, but of course, none of the hundreds of in-line hyperlinks will be relevant then.

3. Brett Legree on December 22, 2011 at 08:34

Richard, that looks like it will be a hell of a book.

Remembering a recent past comment about “whether there will be anything in the book for regular readers” – I don’t give a shit, I’m buying it anyway.

It will be nice to have it all in one place, something to show other people, and hey – why not support people you like, that’s how I see it.

Can’t wait for it…

4. Pauline on December 22, 2011 at 08:42

I will be very interested in the chapter on Intermittent Fasting, I like to call it random fasting, as i find the idea of doing it randomly seems to hit the sweet spot for me. I got hooked into the idea of intermittent fasting but found I was trying too hard to plan it, like a formula, to work out the exact hours of eating/fasting and trying to do it strategically to lose weight, and it became a mission like another diet plan then I lost interest. In re-reading Devany’s book his chapter title How Not To Eat, struck a chord. And I am finding by randomly fasting, especially if I feel I am getting too regular in my meals, has helped. The most interesting thing is what it has done to my appetite, I now find I feel full a lot sooner, and there is an easy moment when I feel that’s enough, don’t want any more, and I think the fasting regulates that tendency to overeat too regularly. I don’t know if it does it by shrinking the stomach or by getting used to a slightly empty feeling or greater hormonal regulation, but it works for me.

5. Eric on December 22, 2011 at 09:00

Slightly off topic but this post reminded me – Richard, do you have a bay area source for high quality eggs?

6. David Csonka on December 22, 2011 at 09:19

Richard,

You should also release a revised special edition which contains all of your favorite slurs and curse words, which were left out of the more professional version.

7. Mike on December 22, 2011 at 09:20

Looking forward to purchasing this book the first day it is released. Good luck

8. rob on December 22, 2011 at 11:11

No chapter on shampoo?

• Richard Nikoley on December 22, 2011 at 12:20

No. Too inessential for this book.

9. Contemplationist on December 22, 2011 at 13:47

Richard

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t see this as the ‘Free the Animal’ practical and philosophical book I was expecting, instead I see yet another paleo diet book, albeit in your enjoyable no-nonsense, pragmatic style. I was expecting a lot more no-holds-barred Raging Against the System, or at least a positive exhortation to FREE YOUR ANIMAL NOW!
    Is that the next book?

• Richard Nikoley on December 22, 2011 at 13:54

Yep, pretty much. In fact, the original outline contained a bunch of that stuff and I killed it because I didn’t want to distract from helping the many people who need to be nudged into this and my style counts for a lot of shoving already.

One step at a time by one word at a time, or some silly bromatic bullshit like that.

I’m sure we’ll do at least one more book, maybe a few, but the mind and society will be first on the list. Then, I’m thinking of highly specialized things like really getting into the saturated fat, cholesterol, fat soluble vitamins, etc. And fasting. And workouts–all delving deep.

As it was, I was working with an original limit of 20k words for an ebook. I got away with about 25k.

10. Organo Gold on December 24, 2011 at 03:55

Hey! Your blog is amazing. I will buy the book “Total transformation”. Thanks for all. Good day.