Butterfat Basted Eggs & Meatloaf and TGIF FunStuff

Three days, three food posts.

In addition to doing a lot of cooking lately, I’m doing a lot of leftovers instead of letting them sit in the fridge to rot. After yesterday’s meatloaf post, I did just that.

Simple as can be. Slice pretty thin, fry it quickly in a good amount of butter (30 seconds to 1 min per side), remove to a plate, add more butter if you need to, pop in the eggs, and as soon as the whites firm up a bit, tilt the pan, get a spoonful of butter and baste your eggs continuously until the whites are done.

Click to open the hi-res versions.

Fried Eggs Meatloaf
Fried Eggs & Meatloaf

Here’s the artsy fartsy shot.

Freid Eggs Meatloaf 2
Freid Eggs Meatloaf, round 2

Yes, very tasty indeed.

And here, for the TFIF FunStuff, remember Ray Audette? Back in 2000 and prior to Cordain I believe, he wrote NeanderThin: Eat Like a Caveman to Achieve a Lean, Strong, Healthy Body. I haven’t read it myself, but others give it good marks. I actually remember seeing this 48 Hours segment way back in 2000 when it aired. That was when I still watched news and newsmagazine programs. All in all, pretty solid—the great thing about paleo being that the message remains pretty consistent—until Dean “Cubby Face” Ornish chimes in.

I think it’s pretty damn cool he has a hawk to hunt small prey with. I really love hawks, but the only time I’ve been close to one is in the air, on various ridges and thermals, in a hang glider. Friendly as hell and they’ll get much closer to you in that—their—element. Look closely and they’ll show you were the best lift is. Then you can scientifically confirm they’re right when the chirp rate on your variometer begins increasing.

So here’s a 1 minute HG video from last July coving the launch & landing for a 30-40 minute flight, set to music I like.

And this cracked me up when I saw it in the Facebook stream this morning.

Go Back

Otherwise, check out this bit on Wikipedia: Evolution as fact and theory.

From the archives, a decent innuendo FAIL I found a while back.

Sign Fail
Innuendo Fail

Last but not in the slightest sense least: Go 49ers!

1. WRS on January 13, 2012 at 11:17

I thought the Neanderthin video was great and became more interested when I learned he lived(s?) in Dallas since I do too. I’ve spent a little time doing searches to look for anything recent about Audette with no luck. Would love to know how he’s doing. Wouldn’t surprise me that he still kickin’; would be cool to point to him and how long he’s followed a Paleo diet as proof it works. I found some local articles about him written back in the mid ’90s. Thanks for posting it.

2. Nick on January 13, 2012 at 11:39

That video really is fascinating. He had hit the nail on the head and had somehow gotten national attention well before the this way of life was anywhere near public consciousness.

And fuck yeah, GO NINERS!

I’ll be in the parking lot at the Stick at 9am tomorrow.

3. Patrick on January 13, 2012 at 12:33

I love how you can see Dean “Cubby Face” Ornish’s man-boobs through his cheap suit.

4. Jim Arkus on January 13, 2012 at 12:54

Those eggs look amazing. I am rethinking what I had planned for dinner.

5. James on January 13, 2012 at 12:56

Led Zeppelin, thank you.

6. Dave, RN on January 13, 2012 at 13:13

Wow A buck fifty for one avocado? That is a fail… I pay 33 cents to a buck…

7. Neal Matheson on January 13, 2012 at 13:16

Did Dean Ornish say “scientifically proven”?
    From anthony Colpo;
    “His Lifestyle Heart Trial that everyone wanks on about actually showed a higher death rate in the intervention group after five years of follow-up (2 deaths, versus 1 in the control group). Granted, this may have been due to misfortune – according to Ornish, one of the treatment group deaths was in a participant who had stopped following the intervention, while another intervention subject reportedly exceeded his prescribed target heart rate during exercise with fatal consequences.
    Pity we don’t have a larger trial to draw upon. Oh wait, we do! The Multicenter Lifestyle Demonstration Project sought to apply the intervention in Ornish’s original trial to a larger group of patients recruited from clinics across the U.S. Practitioners from eight medical centres around the country were trained in all aspects of the Lifestyle program, which they proceeded to administer to patients with coronary artery disease. The study was not a randomized, controlled trial; instead, outcomes in the 194 patients who completed the intervention were compared with 139 patients who did not take part in the Lifestyle program.

After three years, there were no significant differences in cardiac event rates nor mortality between patients in the intervention and control groups. The number of cardiac events per patient year of follow-up when comparing the experimental group with the control group was as follows: 0.012 versus 0.012 for myocardial infarction, 0.014 versus 0.006 for stroke, 0.006 versus 0.012 for non-cardiac deaths, and 0.014 versus 0.012 for cardiac deaths (none of the differences were statistically significant).”

Nice to hear that Ray Audette is very poor while Dean Ornish makes a packet selling a “scientifically proven” cure for heart disease.
    That said I wasn’t wild about neanderthin though some of the recipes were pretty good.

8. becky yo! on January 13, 2012 at 13:53

Flying with your own falcon is a “thing.” there are some cool youtube videos (and in my google searching of this topic I found out that Royal Jordanian Airlines allows you to bring your pet falcon in the cabin but only if it flies economy class.)

• Richard Nikoley on January 13, 2012 at 13:57

That an oxymoron.

Since they can do it all on their own, all birds fly 1st class, by definition. 🙂

9. Ray Audette on January 13, 2012 at 15:19

Yes, I’m still in Dallas. You can Email me through the NeanderThin.com website for more details.

BTW, Ornish was a college roommate of mine at UT. He was also the valedictorian of my graduating class.

He was also Steve Jobs’ personal physician and was responsible for postponing his surgery for eight months while he tried to tweak his vegetarian diet – which delay eventually resulted in his death.

Steve lived for almost exactly the average lifespan of a male vegetarian (56.8 years according to a WHO study assuming access to modern medical care).

Ray Audette
    Author “NeanderThin”

• Richard Nikoley on January 13, 2012 at 15:23

Ray:

So glad you could pop in. I’ll email you soon. Perhaps you can do video? A Skype interview would be so much fun.

• Ray Audette on January 13, 2012 at 16:08

Or you could just call me.

Ray Audette
        214-587-1876

• Richard Nikoley on January 13, 2012 at 16:27

Next week, Ray. Thank you, and thank my friend Don Wiss for cueing me into all this this morning.

10. Ray Audette on January 13, 2012 at 15:26

Last Saturday, while practicing his parkour, my son, Gray Hawk ( now 16), climbed to the roof of a building. While he was sitting there on the precipice taking in the view, a Redtail Hawk landed (within a foot) next to him. They sat there together for a few minutes until my son turned and looked into the hawks eyes. Only then did he take off.

Gray Hawk was four weeks old the first he went hunting with a Redtail Hawk. How that bird recognized him is a great mystery.

Ray Audette

• Nick on January 13, 2012 at 15:59

You MUST get this man on an interview!

• Tom on January 13, 2012 at 21:32

+1 for an interview with Mr. Audette!

11. julianne on January 17, 2012 at 14:34

I made the meatloaf (with a couple of tweaks as I didn’t have exact ingredients) Very yummy. My son who never eats leftovers, demolished what was left – about 1/2 pound after he came home the other day. That’s a big compliment to any food, especially given he’s 13 and has a bit of a propensity to junk food.

• Richard Nikoley on January 17, 2012 at 14:36

Julianne:

Emily has made it twice so far. “Kids love it” seems to be the essential theme.

12. Val on January 17, 2012 at 15:11

I’m nursing a shallow slash across my L palm – a female redtail ALMOST nabbed me w/her talons when I gave her an injection (emergency treatment; a client scooped her off the road. Amazingly, no broken bones, just minor head trauma!). They are fabulous birds.

13. Ray Audette on January 28, 2012 at 07:50