Peanut Butter in Sauce For a Burger?

First off, this might go better with chicken…but it was a spur of the moment idea, and I had burgers in the oven.

I’m not going to take the time to link, but I’ve been on the quest for the perfect burger—whether pan searing first, then finishing in the oven, baking first and finishing off in the pan, or grilling alone.

The latest attempt was to have relatively thin burgers, not pressed, but gently formed, in the oven at 275 for an hour.

IMG 0813
Burger & Satay Sauce

So after the oven, I got a lot of Kerygold butter going, then seared them, 30 seconds per side or so. Interestingly, the bottoms (where they we’re in the oven) don’t sear at all, but the tops, sear up nicely. Use lots of butter, get it hot but not smoking, then when you’re searing the tops of the burgers (sear the bottoms first), roll the pan so as to get the hot butter rolling up on the sides. You’ll figure it out.

IMG 0815
Perfectly Pink & Done

I think I’m probably going to be staying with the 275 for a hour and a thiner burger. This one was the mostly perfect by far. And just to reiterate, that is medium, not medium rare or rare. It’s the slow cooking that retains the nice color of you know what.

Sauce: It was about 1/4 – 1/3 cup Kerrygold butter, in which the burgers were seared. Then they go to a plate, back in the oven which is turned off, so just absent heat. I add about 1/2 – 2/3 cup Kitchen Naturals Beef Stock intermittently over time (my favorite, and 5g protein per cup, gluten free) to deglaze and reduce, then a large tsp of creamy peanut butter, more stock, a few dabs of balsamic for sweetness, more stoke, a bit more peanut butter….reduce reduce, a bit more stock….reduce….taste, turn off and let reduce naturally for a few more minutes.

1. Jason Sandeman on February 8, 2012 at 22:05

Nice burgers Richard. I can’t say I will ever get used to seeing a medium or rare burger… its not our culture up here since the nanny state decreed our burgers need to be cooked well.

I get Americans up here who ask for rare, and it breaks my heart to tell them that I can’t serve them regular burgers anything aside from well – but I get around it my searing a freshly cut tartare puck… can’t argue with that!

I don’t like to freeze meat, because it changes the meat too much. Have you done muxh slow cooking in the oven? Give it a sear, with a super nice crust, put it in a metal pie tin, have your oven set at 180, then cover the burger and let it cook in there over time. It’s a getnler heat, and that’s what we do when we leave our prime ribs. We usually leave them in overnight for a perfect rare to med-rare.

I’d love your burgers though. They look like heaven on a plate!

• Richard Nikoley on February 9, 2012 at 07:31

“Have you done muxh slow cooking in the oven?”

Actually, that was done in the oven, 175F for an hour, rest, sear in butter. I’ve also done it the other way around but I prefer this way. Also, I make sure the meat is at room temp before going into the oven.

2. Paul Halliday on February 8, 2012 at 13:28

You’re a sick pup, Niko … kudos on the butter, mind … could be better: Yorkshire butter 🙂

3. Richard Jones on February 8, 2012 at 13:41

Ive heard of PB in chili as a ‘secret ingredient’ before. Its not a bad taste combo really. I like cinnamon on my burgers, not much, added with a small dash of other dry seasonings.

4. -V on February 8, 2012 at 16:29

I like the smash burger technique the best. Crusty, well done, with the unctuousness coming from bullshit Velveeta and bullshit store-bought may0. Of course this tastes best with bullshit industrial hamburger buns, pickled jalepenos and either some raw or burned onions. Ooo, I am due an indulgence.

I’ll have to try low oven technique–tis a bute, when it comes to thicker burgers (>3 oz or so) I like them pink like this.

I follow enough food blogs to know there is something of a debate on sous vide cooking. If you sear first, supposedly the seared flavor permeates the meat as it cooks. Conversely, if you sear immediately afterwards the meat temperature is higher, so it sears faster and you have less overcooking at the edges. Any dog in this fight? Obviously you’ve gone with method 2 here.

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2012 at 17:18

I have an SVS and was lucky enough to be on hand for Mike & Mary’s SF unveiling a couple of years ago. With Heston Blumethal and sharing spoils with Mike & I at table, Tim Ferriss.

It was fun.

Have done a lot of sous vide but was not super happy with burgers. A commenter recently said he does SV burgers by freezing g them first, the DOI g the vacuum so they don’t squish, then SV them. Gonna try that next because the search for the perfect burger never ends.

5. Razwell on February 9, 2012 at 05:19

That looks fecking awesome, Richard. I have gained much more knowledge by reading your blog and the various cooking ideas. Sauces rule. I am going to try this on chicken.

Variety is great, and I now make many more things than I used to.

6. JH on April 13, 2012 at 13:16

Hey, just found your blog by accident searching for Run Amocs.

Your story on the side bar caught my eye. I’m 5-10, 250 (coming down from 268 peak). I’ve got a solid athletic build, but way too much extra fat, and I’m trying to get healthy.

This recipe seems okay with peanuts and PB, but a lot of Paleo people seem down on peanuts. What’s your take?

Thanks.

• Richard Nikoley on April 15, 2012 at 12:08

I rarely eat peanuts of peanut butter, so this is just an indulgence.