First Cryo-Therapy Session. Sub-300 degrees below zero F for 3 minutes

Here’s what the thing looks like.

IMG 0944
Torture Chamber

Not really. It’s so surprisingly easy to do. and Tore Gustafsson from Sweden says he treats people in their 80s. My initial reaction? Drugs are overrated. I still like my cold water dips of course. This is simply another tool in the toolbox. I’m about 30 minutes out of the chamber and continue to have just an aura of well being that seems to even be increasing. The effect is supposed to last for quite some time, ramping up metabolism, with a calorie burn in the ends of between 600-800 kcal per session.

They are purported to be cumulative, in that it trains your body to run at a higher metabolic rate 24/7, with regular sessions. 2-3 per week for a few weeks, then backing off to once per 7-10 days according to Tore. He’s a way cool guy, by the way.

I’m not going to divulge Tore’s prices, because I don’t want to muck stuff up for any other small businessman out there, or for Tore. Negotiate your own deal.

So, he shot a video of part of the deal.

Alright, find one in your local area if you can. This one is Viking Performance in Los gatos, CA.

…Alright. I have to get ready. My brother arranged for a limo from his place in Sunnyvale up to San Fran, to visit two of world renowned chef Michael Mina’s places; first RN74. Then we’ll go to Michael Mina—namesake restaurant—where I’m told both Michael Mina and Jeremy Tyler of the Golden State Warriors will be joining us for dinner.

1. D on May 24, 2012 at 16:23

I can’t even fathom that. I live in Chicago and it gets 20 below sometimes and I can’t take that.

• Steve on May 24, 2012 at 17:59

Bears fans, how pathetic!! 😉

• Shelley on May 25, 2012 at 13:56

Bears fans are right! While in Chicago experiencing cold like I’ve never existed – we went to a Bears/Pats game on Christmas Eve. After giving my husband, father-in-law and brother-in-law shit for sneaking in their liquor, I was so fucking cold that I proceeded to drink my father-in-laws entire bottle of Southern Comfort. Now, the Pats are winning 6-0 (not that I cared), but my family is cheering and hooting like fucking idiots; you can imagine that went over real well. So I ultimately get pummeled by a frozen piece of hot dog foil on my face, which I swear had been frozen by a cryo-chamber, and, well, the SoCo took over and I marched right up there to kick his ass. Fucking wuss, ended up backing away from me and falling down 3 rows before I was unceremoniously dragged back to my seat. Fucking husband, I was ready to give him a good ass-kicking; finally, I was no longer cold, but on fire!

conclusion: maybe the cryo-thing inspires some inside metabolism burning, but maybe it affects me like liquor??

• A.B. Dada on May 25, 2012 at 13:30

I’m in Chicago, too, and between the ages of 25 and 30, I programmed myself to handle the cold weather more and more. Now I can run down the block for a burger in 10 degree weather in a T-shirt and shorts without any problems.

I’d love to try this.

• Shelley on May 25, 2012 at 13:39

I absolutely love Chicago —- 2 months out of the year! Putting this Florida girl in the windy city was just entertainment for the natives. This was before key fobs, so my key lock would freeze and I couldn’t even get into the car; I learned not to squirt the wiper fluid at the expense of an almost near-death experience; I only owned a wind breaker, which despite its name, did not work well in the windy city; my silver hoop earrings froze immediately in my earlobes upon entering outside; I could only walk with stiff legs and a hunch; I spent all winter, which is a really long winter, in the bars drinking guinness and smoking cigarettes, good thing I was young; I learned to unhook the dryer vent to let all the warm, humid moisture into the apartment not caring at all about the lint flying around; I also learned not to ever rent an apartment on the bottom floor with radiant heat coils in the ceiling – what freakin’ moron designed that!; and I had a horrible case of the SADs….Needless to say, I really miss the food up there, but I’m back in sunny FL.

2. marie on May 24, 2012 at 16:44

So very cool, good for you!
    Do you plan on a summary of the science with some references maybe? I know some of the work is from the 70’s and 80’s and I don’t know if I can reasonably hunt it down myself. Unfortunately, following the links from viking to ‘cryousa’, there is a science summary but… no references and for some of the claims I’m a bit doubtful, while others actually have made it into texts -and there’s the problem of course.
    Nothing to do with whether it works, given the number of enthusiasts it’s at least likely that it does and You’re about to report on that yourself. I just wonder if it’s not for the reasons exactly that they say, that is, if something else, a lot cheaper if less convenient, does as well.

3. Todd on May 24, 2012 at 16:48

300 below for three minutes? For that duration did you temporarily become female? It sounds daunting, but very intriguing.

It’s not the same thing, but every day I have been putting my shower as cold as it will go and I love it. It immediately wakes me up if I feel groggy and I probably get out of the shower I half the time. I wish I was setup for cold plunge, but I’m definitely keeping it on mind for the future.

4. Rhiannon on May 24, 2012 at 16:50

How can I fine something like this near me? I googled cryo therapy…but it’s nothin like this. Just spot cryo treatments.

5. Lila on May 24, 2012 at 16:51

WOW.

Hey, if I have super cold showers… will it help me any? I don’t have a tub, or the option to do this. I was wondering if a long cold shower could have any benefits at all. Thanks!

6. Steve on May 24, 2012 at 17:51

Epic shrinkage!!

• Steve on May 24, 2012 at 18:02

Do this to much longer and we won’t be able to call you Dick anymore…

7. Steve on May 24, 2012 at 17:55

That Richard, he’s one cool cat!

8. Garth Whelan on May 24, 2012 at 17:56

How is this different from other cold therapies? It seems you aren’t losing much heat, is that just because it’s still air as opposed to water? Why is it so much easier than a cold day in winter, and why is it better?

• Steve on May 24, 2012 at 17:58

A cold day in winter has wind, and lasts more then three minutes!

• marie on May 24, 2012 at 18:53

As people dig around on this maybe we can all just share findings?
      I don’t know much details, but here’s what I got so far (my background is physics and physical chemistry) : the extreme temperature gradient causes the surface (only the surface) temperature of the skin to fall to around 30F, or slightly sub-freezing, without actually freezing/killing the lower tissues -that’s whey the brief time of 2.5-3 minutes.
      This can’t be achieved Healthfully with a cold bath, water/ice temperature isn’t low enough (the body heat keeps the skin temperature well above freezing) – the only way an ice bath can do this is if you stay long enough to suffer hypothermia, then when your body temperature falls your skin temperature can reach near freezing too – bad news, your dead. Before that, you’ve got ‘frost-bite’ -dead skin patches, dead digits etc.
      That part is all straight physical science, measurable, verifiable etc. Nothing woo.
      Here’s the ‘interesting’ part:
      While our skin doesn’t actually freeze (doesn’t get damaged) in the cryo-chamber in the short time there, the sensors on the skin that say “yikes, cold!” are briefly get activated and that is hypothesized to signal the body to increase it’s metabolism. This is the part where I’d like to see the research. Also, the surface vasoconstriction is supposed to be so strong (because of the extremely low temperature detected) that blood circulates only internally and this is supposed to have some beneficial effects on organs. The time is so brief , I don’t know.
      Finally, the skin tightening effect is the sort of thing that’s been shown to happen with ice treatments, so I don’t see anything controversial on that point.
      That’s all I’ve got.
      Richard, any comments on the mechanisms for these effects?
      Anyone else, please chime in?

• Todd on May 24, 2012 at 19:14

So cryo-therapy can be used in place of
      Botox? 🙂

I would think on the cellular/micro level there would have to be some destruction to the epidermis (purely just from my own thoughts here) due to the extreme cold. Not that it is substantial, but if someone was obsessed with it, it seems like it would cause harm. 300 below is getting fairly close to absolute zero. That seems to me like there would be disruption to cells on some level.

Very interesting stuff, indeed.

• AndrewS on May 29, 2012 at 11:51

The skin’s response to extreme cold is to remove moisture (eg blood) to inner regions. Prolonged absence of circulation can damage tissue (ie frostbite), and sudden re-introduction of fluids can also cause damage. Kept short enough, this kind of cold will produce the hormonal response that one wants without the tissue damage from longer exposure.

• Richard Nikoley on May 24, 2012 at 19:16

Thank you, Marie. Wondering how many copy cat shrinkage jokes I was going to get. Hopefully you shut them down.

• marie on May 24, 2012 at 19:43

It’s FEAR! I notice the shrinkage jokes are only from guys…Pussies!
      The other women up to now have been interested/asking questions, “outmanning” everyone but you 🙂

• marie on May 24, 2012 at 19:48

Oh, wait, except Todd too…. 🙂
      Todd : the extreme temperature is just used to create a huge temperature gradient so that the skin gets down to about 30F…which is plenty for cellular damage, membranes start to burst as water freezes, but it doesn’t last Long enough to do that. Just long enough to register on your temperature sensors.

• Todd on May 24, 2012 at 20:05

Marie, I’m not innocent of shrinkage jokes, but I came up with a little conversational value.

I see what you’re saying now. It’s sch a brief exposure that it doesn’t have much time to register past the, “oh, boy! This is cold” stage.

Richard, did it sting during or after? It seems that extreme cold burns more than feels cold.

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 08:21

Todd, The most marked sensation after was a feeling of very dry but very soft skin. Tore, the guy who runs the place has very young, soft looking skin. I saw somewhere that over a number of sessions it stimulates collagen to the skin. We’ll see.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 08:25

Oooh! Please ask them to give you any collagen research papers, please, pretty please with a cherry on top?

• marie on May 27, 2012 at 16:05

Richard, really, if you get a chance please ask if these guys have any references I can look up ( a little more collagen would be nice at this age….;-)
      Folks, has anyone else unearthed more information on any aspect? (thanks for the Cronise link Jscott!)
      I expect the method acts like an excellent exfoliant, but if it works further down, that would be really special.
      Here’s my basic question (and worry) : there’s many ways we can stimulate collagen production that all have to do with the pathway of repairing some damage, so if this method does stimulate production, is it because it IS causing some damage lower down in the skin? (not necessarily a bad thing, but can’t know without more info). Or is there some other pathway it triggers and if so, what?

• rob on May 25, 2012 at 02:21

Vasoconstriction …. explains the incredible pump I’ve noticed after ice treatment.

If bodybuilders could figure out how to do this at a contest (maybe install the thing in a van/bus?) it would be perfect.

• Shelley on May 25, 2012 at 04:58

Rather than getting individual basal areas burned off with liquid nitrogen, I’m wondering if the cryo-chamber is of any benefit to basal cells or cells that were previously sun-damaged and likely to become basal cells.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 08:03

Shelley, we sure think alike 🙂
      I have similar issue, get little morphing nevi that have to be frozen-off. So I asked my dermo (she’s my neighbor/friend) and she said that since it’s diffuse, not concentrated and since the short duration is designed to not damage the skin, it probably wouldn’t damage the moles either. What the dermatologists do is apply it very concentrated right on the mole, so that ‘kills’ those cells locally. However, it also shouldn’t make the problem any worse…so I guess it’s up to us to try it out or not.
      But you know, if you’re considering it, ask your doctor 😉

• Shelley on May 25, 2012 at 08:23

Thanks for asking her Marie! I suppose I’ll let the insurance keep paying for those concentrated blasts of cold then. Besides, most are around the edges of my face, so the cryo wouldn’t work for that.

might be good for the cellulite, though….. 🙂

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 07:34

I’d guess that because the conductivity of the gas is so much lower than a liquid not a lot of heat is actually lost, but the body might freak out anyway, allowing for the positive effects without the drudgery. I mean it’s simply not possible to lose that many calories in 2.5 minutes. But if the metabolism gets ramped up for the rest of the day, more calories are burned overall. Sort of like doing sprints or some other HIIT stuff in the morning.

Assuming it’s not all just a gimmick or a placebo effect 😉 I guess time will tell.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 08:14

Yeah Sean, the physics ‘works’ re. surface temperature and the safety of the method, but the supposed metabolic effect is where I’m skeptical too, I’d like to see the research papers. It should be easy to measure.
      In fact, Richard :
      how possible is it for you to get to a good exercise center before and after treatment to have them measure your VO2? Going somewhat to the lengths of Tim Ferris here, but what the heck, I’d believe it if you mesaure the effect!

• Matt on May 25, 2012 at 13:20

Jscott, I was under the impression shivering is actually inefficient, wasting a bunch of energy to produce heat as compared to non-shivering thermogenesis.

I remember a paper, or papers, on cold water swimmer showing adaptations so that they lasted longer in colder temps without shivering, compared to normal subjects. Also, I think cAMP and Type II Deiodinase have something to do with BAT and non-shivering thermogenesis, but I’m not sure how it all would tie in to cold exposure. I know there are some papers in the journal Thyroid on the subject.

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 08:49

Interesting bit concerning shivering and BAT which ties in to how metabolic effect is initialized? Seems to me, while shivering might hold the gold medal for efficiency and effectiveness and perhaps might even burn more calories (have not seen studies on that), BAT development would be the target. So, no shiver?

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 11:19

But surely it could have other positive metabolic effects other than raising VO2 max. It didn’t even occur to me that it would affect VO2.

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 11:25

Interesting paper, JS, too bad it’s by a bunch of French Canadians and the lead author is a chick 😉

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 12:25

Not altogether sure, but Ray related something to me about measuring co2 of something and that the increase from 10 minutes in the water, beyond that point, temp below 80 or increased time didn’t matter much, ie, 10 minutes in 80 has important effects and lower temps and longer times may be diminishing returns. I’ll have to remember to have him specify.

I went in 52 for about 12 minutes an hour and a half ago and I’m still quivering and somewhat chilled.

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 15:03

As far as inefficiency that could very well be. I spoke out of turn. I use to get in trouble in school for doing that. I was jumping to conclusions regarding why it would turn down utilizing BAT.

I have not seen anything dealing with someone who is cold adapted. So, if you have some linky links I would be happy as peach pie. (I will check out the J.T.).

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 15:30

More stuff on VO2 via Ray Cronise: (in comments about gut health no less)

This in response to a comment name dropping kruse.

“…VO2 data (this is representing the amount of oxygen he’s consuming – directly proportional to the “calories burning”) ”
      —-
      “4x those numbers [RMR] (the literature says we produce up to 5-6x at full on shivering, but wim wasn’t shivering)”
      —-

“When it comes to weight loss, I don’t think you have to “adapt” other than physiologically increase peripheral circulation and psychologically mute the fear of “cold.” I also don’t think ice or extreme is necessary. There are GREAT uses for ice baths in therapy and recovery – that’s the totality of most sport medicine’s research on cold stress. It get’s far more complicated with the immune system.”
      —–

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 15:50

“…too bad it’s by a bunch of French Canadians and the lead author is a chick” – Groan (encore!).

• Uncephalized on May 30, 2012 at 10:46

An easier (though less accurate) way to measure the metabolic effect would be to just get a little digital oral thermometer and track body temperature before and after at some specified interval. Higher body temperature generally indicates higher metabolism.

• scott on May 25, 2012 at 11:18

I’m looking for a place that does this in NH. I’ve struck out so far, but here is a list of places with the booth Richard used: http://lifeofmillennium.com/mii-usa.php

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 07:53

Garth

See Marie’s comment about how it works. It’s not really about heat exchange but shocking your body into mounting a response that last for some hours after and ramps metabolism.

But, the proof is in the pudding. I’ll do about 10 sessions over the next few weeks and see.

9. Steve on May 24, 2012 at 17:56

It was so cold, Grandpa’s teeth were chattering… in the glass!

10. Txomin on May 24, 2012 at 18:38

Interesting. Thanx.

11. Rob on May 24, 2012 at 19:09

What if you come out like William Hurt in Altered States? Then you’ll really be primal.

12. Mike on May 24, 2012 at 19:49

Curious as to why my earlier post was deleted. I would have shared my experience which was nearly identical to yours. Just didn’t want to steal your thunder until you had a chance to post.

Briefs, gloves, and socks. Then COLD. 1/4 turn please. blood pressure good. Euphoric feel good.

Have I ceased to be relevant? I thought we were all friends here?

Signed,
    Thin Skin

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 07:44

Mike

Didn’t delete anything. Nothining caught in the spam folder either. Must have been one of those quantum shift things where the universe went out and back into existence at exactly the wrong time. I’d love to hear the story.

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 08:10

That would explain why I woke up with a goatee.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 08:17

Hee hee, goatee and quantum weirdness :

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 11:13

That’s pretty well done but I disagree with this:

“The conclusion is inescapable, the single electron leaves as a particle, becomes a wave of potentials, goes through both slits, and interferes with itself, to hit the wall like a particle.”

I don’t think that conclusion is inescapable. I think the weird stuff in quantum mechanics only seems weird because it hasn’t been figured out at a deeper level–like action-at-a-distance and gravity pre-Einstein. I would’ve preferred the phrasing: “what seems to be happening according to current theory” or something (just don’t use the c-word–consensus).

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 15:36

Well what did you expect, the man does have a goatee…. 🙂
      But yeah, you’ve hit it on the nose, that last part is where I shut it down when running it for my students – even though it’s camp-ish and we get to snack on popcorn and arm-chair theorize on the more ‘woo’ extrapolations of quantum mechanics, but I don’t want them off on the wrong track entirely. It’s actually wrong : it hits the back wall as Both a wave And a particle – in the lab, both properties are detected, wave property (interference pattern) and discreteness /particle property (Geiger count).

• Sean on May 26, 2012 at 05:05

Isn’t that the great contribution of Dirac’s wave equation? That the electron is always a particle and a wave? It never ‘turns into’ one or the other.

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 06:33

Schroedinger’s you philistine! (nah, just one of those Newton-Liebniz things…)
      And to really parse credit, it was deBroglie who showed it to be a wave, completing the wave-particle duality concept (waves as particles had been shown by Planck and Einstein, but not particles as waves until deBroglie).
      Yes, exactly, it’s always both. The original and most fundamental “bi” in nature 🙂

• Sean on May 26, 2012 at 06:58

Ah yes, deBroglie, forgot about him, it’s been more than 20 years since I took Modern Physics (and got the high score on the final, ka-chow!).

The wave/particle thing is quite well established even though it rather defies intuition. But I’m with Penrose and his skepticism of interpretations such as the observer effect. I suspect there’s something underlying happening that will eventually be quantified, and that Schroedinger’s Cat will turn out to have been dead or alive in a measurable way before the box is opened. Or something along those lines.

• gallier2 on May 26, 2012 at 09:30

To continue on my streak of useless trivia, De Broglie is quite a strange name in french and most people do not pronounce it correctly. French would pronounce it correctly if it was written De Breuille.

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 15:58

Yah, but if something measurable happened before you opened the box, then That is the observation and so that’s when the system was disturbed, the wavefunction for the ‘cat’ (which until then contained all probabilities) then collapses to yield one outcome (same as when opening the box is the observation…no matter when the measurement/observation is made, that’s the defining, mind-bending moment).
      Penrose’s Emperor’s mind is fun though, since he gets the basics right it’s then exactly the type of extrapolation/theorizing that sparks fascination, wonder, awe… oh well, humans always seem to need Something in that department, eh?

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 17:24

Oh gallier2, you’d get a kick out of hearing born and bred American students trying to say it – though credit where it’s due, they do try. My throat gets dry eventually – that rolling r turns more guttural on me by the umpteenth repetition and I’m done. I wonder where the spelling comes from….

• gallier2 on May 26, 2012 at 23:42

It is a Piemontese name and the pronounciaton derives from it, very close to italian. In italian gl is pronounced like a y in english. For instance “gnocchi” is pronounced like “new key” except the the ‘ew’ is an ‘o’.
      Here a link to right pronounciation of De Broglie

• Sean on May 27, 2012 at 04:41

Interesting Gallier, but I’ll always have the Chef Boyardee pronunciation in my head–de bro-lee-ay 😉 I’ve managed the Czech ř and that’s the limit of my willingness to learn difficult Rs, the French R will have to wait for my next reincarnation.

Also, I’m waiting for your guest post!

Marie, Neal Stephenson explores a lot of Penrose ideas in Anathem but he comes up with a many-worlds interpretation for sentient intelligence that I’m pretty sure would horrify Penrose. Makes for some good reading though, even if Stephenson can be a bit long winded at times. Some characters are even self-aware in the multiverse (possible spoilers).

I’m waiting for your guest post also, aren’t you like a frequent commenter already?

• LeonRover on May 27, 2012 at 06:42

Bred and Born – reference to a neglected name in Theoretical Dabblings ??

As long you guys do not get into David Deutsch’s multi-versimilitudes . . . . . !

There are too many writers who followed in Fritjof’ Capra’s Tao footsteps – daughter of “Zen & the Art of MotorCycle Maintenance”

I’ve given up on pop-physics since Peter Voit’s “Not Even Wrong”, and Lee Smolin’s “The Trouble with Physics”, because I agree with them.

BUT

Richard P Feynmann’s QED holds a treasured place in my library as does “The Feynmann Lectures on Physics” published 1966. Bongoman was a true Renaissance Man -and from da Bronx.

Ian Stewart’s extensive Math writings, Mandelbrot’s “Fractals and Scaling in Finance” are also there.

• marie on May 27, 2012 at 07:17

gallier2, Thank you, you just saved my voice, I will play this for them instead. And I get the gl now.

• marie on May 27, 2012 at 07:39

Sean, “even if Stephenson can be a bit long winded at times” – Laf – did you have to bite that tongue-in-cheek to keep it there? I took a month over Cryptonomicon.
      Thank you for the links, will follow up…

• marie on May 27, 2012 at 08:00

LeonRover,
      ” – daughter of “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” ” – LOL.
      I’m impressed (your memory’s just fine;-)) and reeling from how you make new concept/word associations. O.k., your mind works in beautiful ways 🙂 🙂
      Oh, and ‘I agree with them’ too…and in Feynman’s Lectures is the hands-down best explanation of double-slit experiments, imho, while “Surely you’re Joking” brings out the Renaissance Man. Pass on Mandelbrot (hits my cross-eyed limit).

• LeonRover on May 27, 2012 at 13:41

M. & G. agus Seàn

“rolling r . . . . repetition”

I used use this to practice:

“r.r.round the r.r.rugged r.r.rock the r.r.rude r.r.rascals r.r.ran.”

After the 15th time your French r.r.r’s will be tres parfait!

Slàinte mhaith.

• marie on May 28, 2012 at 23:13

agus Sean, agus Sean…bugged me for a while, then I’m sitting with friends singing by the lake shore here (yes, still mediterranean weather) and it hit me (I never hear this language, so not mundane to me) :
      Cait agus Sean.
      This is dedicated to Kate (of course !), for her dance, and to Pauline and all 3c/ expats. – guys can listen too, it won’t kill you…maybe:-)

13. Monte on May 24, 2012 at 21:01

That thing is awesome. Sessions should cost less than 50 bucks. Worth it I guess.

But seriously peeps…you don’t need to go find one of these things. You need to construct a cold tub at home that can get to 32 degrees. Jump in for 20 minutes twice a day….. The temperature you use determines the speed of adaptation. Given enough time anything will work.

Even if you bought everything new AND overpaid it wouldn’t set you back more than 800 bucks..

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 07:47

Monte

Yea, I did 15 mintes in the water about an hour before. Of course, my Tub’s at about 55 currently. It’s been a bit cooler in the evenings lately so the tub runs a bit cooler than it has been. I’m anxious to see what the tap temp will be this coming winter.

14. Heather on May 25, 2012 at 03:17

Wonder if this helps with cellulite..

Very cool, I want to try this.

15. Chris on May 25, 2012 at 04:01

Guy here. No shrinkage jokes. Could not care less about shrinkage jokes. More interested in the benefits of this kind of therapy for elderly patients (since Richard mentioned that cryotherapy had been used for them). Not because I’m elderly, but because most of my patient base will be elderly when I get licensed. Of course, I can simply imagine the outrage from the larger practicing community towards not just my suggestions that elderly people go barefoot, eat little to no grains and lots of fat and meat, get sunlight exposure and now this, get cold? The horror, doing things that people have done up until recently when modern disease appeared!

16. LeonRover on May 25, 2012 at 04:59

Glad to see your testicles had fortitude.

You did not even lose one – it was NOT an (N-1) experiment.

Did you “have an optimal day”???

17. LeonRover on May 25, 2012 at 05:01

PS Cryo-genetics “beats” epigenetics.

18. Jay Jay on May 25, 2012 at 05:47

I am completely cool with you doing this (no pun intended), and appreciate your reporting.

But I think it throws a monkey wrench into your ancestral/evolutionary/paleo experimentation by adding a variable that isn’t “natural”. I think we can agree with near certainty that our ancestors didn’t evolve around pools of liquid nitrogen.

• jofjltncb6 on May 25, 2012 at 09:31

Uh oh.

They’ll probably vote Richard off of Paleo Island now.

• jay jay on May 25, 2012 at 10:23

Well, he was already voted off the island by some folks for his stance that some carbs are OK (which come to think of it, should earn him praise from carbsane, not derision, but I digress…).

So say a year from now, where after a period of increasing carb consumption, he doesn’t gain any weight (or hopefully, even loses some).

Then the carbophobes will say, “Yeah, but it doesn’t count, because he messed with is metabolism with the cryogenic stuff.”

Which probably isn’t that big of a deal, at least to Richard. But its the kind of stuff I think about, for better or worse.

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 11:42

Well there are the paleo-reenactors who already kicked Richard off paleo island way back when. Then there’s the ‘real science types’ who kicked Richard off of science island over Kruse, not making abject enough obeisance when he decided Kruse was a bullshiter, or just not showing enough respect to their authoritah! There’s the language police who clutched their pearls at the use of cunt–hmmm, who did I leave out?

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 15:07

Can’t never could.

I recommend Jonar Nader as I am a fan of playing to one’s strengths:

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 11:54

Who did I leave out or whom did I leave out, I never know the difference. Whom sounds slightly more correct.

• LeonRover on May 25, 2012 at 12:20

Recall Donne:

“Always remember for whom the bell* tolls:
      it tolls for thee”

*Marie, belle

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 12:28

Shit, I can’t fuckin’ get along with anybody.

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 12:49

Mr Rover, you are the resident English language expert, doesn’t the ‘for’ make it ‘whom’ in the Donne quote? So who would be correct in my sentence?

• LeonRover on May 25, 2012 at 14:56

ABSOLUTEY correct.

I gave you Donne as a confirmatory example, not a rejection.

(To be a pedant who is one of the few English words retaining a semblance of the accusative/dative cases of Angl0-Saxon. It also retains a Genitive – Whose . TMI ????

The Nominative – the form for Subject is Who.

The Accusative – the firm for Object is Whom.)

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 15:42

Ting-a-ling ! 🙂

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 19:19

TMI?!? Pish, let’s embrace the positively arcane;-) :
      did I read this right, did the Anglo-Saxons originally retain Greek declensions?
      Nominative – Ονομαστική
      Genitive – Γενική
      Accusative – Αιτιατική

• Kate Ground on May 25, 2012 at 20:08

Love your language lessons

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 20:32

Ha! You should see my spelling;-)

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 20:59

O.k., Jscott, hats off, THAT was arcane.
      However, that switch from rough breathing to smooth breathing is always a let-down, whether or not there’s rhythm;-)

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 21:31

When in Rome then Roam. I never heard any complaints. Then again, that is the way polite society works. Complain after and not during. Either or. The primal gets theirs.

The let down, some say, is called the spoon.

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 21:34

Blah–this was suppose to be attached

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 21:45

Well, I can see why no complaints, that was surprisingly γλυκό! 🙂
      Of course now I’m nostalgic, but thank you for the memory 😉 – can’t quite place when I last had βανίλια υποβρύχιο, it’s terrific in the summer dipped in icy cold water….sigh.

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 22:21

What happens on the net STAYS on the net.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 22:26

Yup, your secret’s safe.

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 22:40

I thought so too until once upon a time I emailed a gent back in early blogging days. That is how I got famous. FAMOUS I tell ya.

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 23:07

No such thing as TMI!

It seems that all Indo-European languages started off having eight cases. Modern German has four. All Slavic languages have seven (as far as I know)–the same as Latin.

When I speak Czech it has one case 😉

But the names of the cases mostly come from Greek, from here:

The word casus, case, is a translation of tbe Greek ptwsis, a falling away (from the erect position) […] The other case-names (except Ablative) are of Greek origin. The name Genitive (cásus genetívus) is a translation of genikh [ptwsis], from genos (class), and refers to the class to which a thing belongs. Dative (casus dativus, from dó) is translated from dotikh, and means the case of giving. Accusative (accusativus, from accuso) is a mistranslation of aitiatikh, (the case of causing), from aitia, cause, and meant to the Romans the case of accusing. The name Vocative (vocátívus, from voco) is translated from klhtikh (the case of calling).

• LeonRover on May 25, 2012 at 23:30

Marie

They are all relicts of an hypothesised “Indo-European ” root stock.

Classic Greek retained 6 cases, Latin 5 cases, Gaelic 4 cases. I never studied Anglo-Saxon, but I was aware it had a case structure. How many cases has modern demotic Greek? (Of course, I see you gave it above.)

Anglo-Saxon to Middle English (Chaucer) is a similar simplification from formal Latin to demotic French (which is a conflation of Langue d’Oc and Langue d’Oil), Italian, Romanian etc.

I learned two “dead” languages at school Latin & Erse (Gaelic), and later sufficient Russian to be able to translate tech stuff with a dictionary.

I am fascinated with Creoles, slangs, street-cant, remains of “blow-in” words in places, how it is that pronunciations change in different locations over time.

Even more j’adore the possibility of being able to confuse a German “gift”, poison, with an English “gift” , a present.

Stephen Pinker’s books have been a great pleasure and resource.

I frequently recall Vergil’s opening line of the The Aeniad: “Timeo Danaos, et dona ferentes.” – particularly when dealing with Magyars.

PS I knew enough Greek script and words to translate “Papadoulos Thanatos” on a newspaper headline, on Eos (Ios?).

PPS I have the utmost contempt for journos and authors who write stuff such as “Him & me went out for a beer . . . . .”

• LeonRover on May 25, 2012 at 23:43

See??

Abbott knew much more than I, all along. He hid his light under a bushel – foolish boy. (Mind you, his patronymic indicates descent from learned clerics. There is an Irish surname MacEntaggart – Mac an t’Saggairt – son of the Priest.)

PS Are you absolutely sure about the Ablative – this almost getting a bit wearing . . . . . .

• Sean on May 26, 2012 at 00:36

Leon, I was just quoting from
      but I screwed up the link.

I always thought Abbott was a strange surname, weren’t abbots supposed to be celibate? Perhaps it dates from a time before that was common practice?

• LeonRover on May 26, 2012 at 01:04

Well, yes, they were – but celibacy was quite often honoured in the breech – oops breach – than in the observance.

To be marginally more serious – the medieval church was first local, and second owned large landholdings. Very often, the king or lord palatine was able to appoint a layman to perform the usual feudal duties for the land, while the religious duties were performed by an ordinard. Each might an Abbot.

The Cluniac reform was an 11th century bishop-led re-organisation which resulted in celibacy for parish priests, which up till then had married parish priests, just like today’s Orthodox traditions.(Does this mean the Roman church IS Heterodox?) It one of the last straws to break the hump of Roman-Byzantine religious communio. Also contributed to Crusaders wreaking havoc on Contantinople at times! Co-Christians ??? Give me a break!! It was merely a part of Norman-Frankish expansionism, which was itself a counter to the hegemony of Holy Roman Empire, in which Bohemia had its part to play.

• Sean on May 26, 2012 at 04:38

I’d gathered it was common for openly acknowledged clerical bastards to exist among the peasantry but I doubt they took they surname. An appointed layman serving as an abbot makes more sense to me.

JM Roberts, who’s my basic source for all things historical, cites the Crusaders sacking Constantinople as the death blow for the Byzantine Empire. To paraphrase from memory, “She was to carry on for a few hundred years longer but the spirit had left her.”

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 05:30

LeonRover, there are 4 cases in demotic, Κτητική is missing above because I didn’t know the english equivalent (I see vocative now from Sean’s comment) but also because it’s hardly noted separately anymore since it’s almost always the same as Αιτιατική.

Steven Pinker’s forays into social impact of mind-language development are fascinating – ‘the blank slate’ contra-polemic is a favorite…

Ios! I spent a glorious summer there at the end of highschool, sleeping at the beach camp grounds in the morning, swimming/beachplay late afternoon, then up to the clubs all night….sigh. I’m getting one trip down memory lane after another from this one comment thread. Of course, Greeks themselves fear no gifts, so do please carry on… 🙂

Meanwhile, I prefer (I would!) this ‘Et dona ferentes’ (Kipling) :
      ……………
      I have watched them in their tantrums, all that Pentecostal crew,
      French, Italian, Arab, Spaniard, Dutch and Greek, and Russ and Jew,
      Celt and savage, buff and ochre, cream and yellow, mauve and white,
      But it never really mattered till the English grew polite;
      …………………
      “Keep your temper. Never answer (that was why they spat and swore).
      Don’t hit first, but move together (there’s no hurry) to the door.
      Back to back, and facing outward while the linguist tells ’em how —
      `Nous sommes allong ar notre batteau, nous ne voulong pas un row.'”
      ………………….
      All Irish linguists excluded, of course!

• Maecenas on May 26, 2012 at 07:03

Without wishing to seem to accusative, the opening line of Vergil’s Aeneid actually begins “Arma virumque cano . . .” Still, you made your case.

• LeonRover on May 26, 2012 at 07:26

Kipling represented a late Victorian narrative that viewed British Empire’s “white man’s burden” was to bring civilisation to the savage.

Vergil did the same for Octavianus as he established Imperial centralism after the successes of the warlord Pro-Consuls culminating in the take-over of the Republic by his nephew Julius.

In both cases, it was a post hoc justification of Imperial expansionism.

Mind you the same impulse was present in Teddy Roosevelt, both in Cuba and Phillipines. (Elmore Leonard, one of my favourite writers wrote a nice tale called Cuba Libre.)

( I assumed you knew that Danaans were mainland Greeks during Trojan cattle raiding. One of the Gaelic legends of pre Celtic incursions refer to a race called de Danaan. When conquered, they went underground and became Fairies and Leprecauns.)

• LeonRover on May 26, 2012 at 07:44

I bow to your correction; age . . . .memory ? ? ?

One of my favourite Vergilian phrases is

“Et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine cerno.”

• LeonRover on May 26, 2012 at 07:50

uncle Julius (not nephew)

• Sean on May 26, 2012 at 08:48

“(Elmore Leonard, one of my favourite writers wrote a nice tale called Cuba Libre.)”

I caught some (mild) shit for reading Cuba Libre in Barcelona, it really didn’t occur to me that Spaniards might find it political. Yeah, I know.

• gallier2 on May 26, 2012 at 09:03

Bulgarian and macedonian lost the case system.

• gallier2 on May 26, 2012 at 09:22

Just to give some useless trivia. In french there are also vestigial traces of the cases in the vocabulary in the same vein as your ‘who’ example for english. As french lost quite rapidly declention the only 2 remaining cases were ‘cas sujet’ (nominative) and ‘cas régime’ (accusative). Rabelais in the 16th century still wrote with these cases which makes it quite difficult for modern French to read correctly his texts. So to some examples of the remnants, there are several words that have 2 forms which people often think that one is an abbrevation of the other, but there dual existence comes from their archaic grammar. Examples: pute, putain, gars, garçon, mal, malin, nonne, nonnain, pâtre, pasteur. Btw most french nouns are derived from their ‘cas régime’ form though there are some exceptions which explains some times the differences between the same word in english. Examples (medieval orthography): traïtre / traïtor which gave traître in french and traitor in english or ancestre / ancessor which gave ancêtre in french and ancestor in english.

• Jscott on May 26, 2012 at 09:41

And onward…

Coming from a hermeneutics background I would get lost in the joys of finding words and metaphors that were difficult if not impossible to present in English or to other cultures. I looked up an old discussion I had with a friend and found this gem from him,

“There are things in other languages that can’t be said in english… circumlocution becomes a duck tape of language.”

“Whenever I read some literature translated from Polish (or even original english books) I can’t help but to see miles and miles of duck tape applied to hold the structure of language together. Without circumlocution the whole thing falls apart. (most business books are like visiting garbage dumps for used duck tapes strips. No wonder most people who read a business book have no fucking clue what it was about. Cause it’s all duck tape and plastic sheeting)”

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 16:27

LeonRover,
      Kipling did, but in the process produced also some bitingly funny satire of English attitudes/mannerisms at the time.
      (I just KNEW the Best Irish lore was related to the Greeks, had to be…I must have the sight :-))

• Kate Ground on May 26, 2012 at 17:23

Did I come to the right blog? Wow!

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 17:49

gallier2, putain de merde! That solved a whole bunch of mysteries for me in one shot.

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 17:52

Kate, heh heh, you mean duct tape and Vergil and demotic grammar and fairies and heterodox churches don’t all belong in one place? Oh grasshopper…. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 18:14

Leon Rover, “age….memory???”
      δεινόν τό γῆρας, οὐ γάρ ἔρχεται μόνον !

– so, do tell, were you reading your headline in Ios when Papadopoulos fell (thanatos! can be a call to ‘end’ someone) or when he actually died?
      Just for context you understand 😉

• LeonRover on May 26, 2012 at 23:33

Marie,

It was ’74 or ’75. It was Ios. It was the largest headline on a newspaper I could remember to date. I was on holiday with 1st (Irish) wife. Red mullet, squidlets etc

We stayed in cheap hotel/lodgings – however, it was a wonderful sight each morning look up from the beach and see the wriggling larvae of young humans emerge from the chrysales of their sleeping bags ( hope you like the metaphor). We found rocky nooks towards the headland where we could dive, sunbathe & . . . . unclothed.

Then on to Santorini, mule-riding up the caldera, the ‘quake ruins & missing the ferry.

A question, are you as irritated as I, by the “soft c” rendering of words of Greek origin, transmitted via Roman spelling (in which kappa is written as a “c”) & we end up in 20/21st c., where “keramica” has become “seramic”. Mind you, Italians argue when one tries to tell ’em that Caesar was pronounced like Kaiser rather than Chaesare as in Borgia.

• Joe on May 26, 2012 at 23:59

Gallier, thank you.

Utterly fascinating.

• Sean on May 27, 2012 at 05:16

@Jscott, hermeneutics, wow, I had to look that one up. Milan Kundera has a good essay about translation.

Not to be a cultural elitist but I’m a firm believer that English is a much richer language than many (perhaps most, okay to be honest all) others. It’s definitely much richer than Czech. I’ve a giant, well worn Webster’s unabridged sitting out (how I’d love an unabridged OED!) and there’s simply nothing to compare with it in Czech.

Language, like the Internet, or any other shared information resource, geometrically benefits from the number of people who participate in it. I’ve heard many Czechs say defensively that Czech is a ‘rich’ language, bah. They don’t even have a word for silly! It’s usually translated as hloupy which has negative connotations of being stupid. There’s no Czech word for Monty Python silly.

• marie on May 27, 2012 at 06:47

Ah then, when the junta had fallen.
      Chrysalis – hee hee, spot on, grade school at the time in Montreal, my parents having been chased out of Greece earlier as part of the resistance, through movie-style underground ‘railroad’ (boats of course), the works.
      Ios is famous for it’s rocky nooks, most of those islands eh? – sometimes you find a small cave with a little beach right in it – heaven.
      But you Need to go back to Santorini, the excavation continued from the late 60’s for 40 years (a bit still ongoing), the ruins are an entire well-preserved town – you walk through it on wood rafters – with two story houses and what look like structures for some plumbing (!), amazing considering that northwards in 1800BC humans were still in caves and huts. Then follow the wake of the volcano-induced tsunami to Crete, where it wiped out (one theory) the Minoans. Fast ferries nowadays, comfy;-) And the tiny hotels on Santorini that have edge-pools over the caldera? Priceless.
      O.k., so Now that I’ve done my job as mole for the Greek tourism agency….
      …that c drives me nuts, So do the gross mispronunciations of the alphabet, which I have to use at work. Teeth. Grinding. It’s the bloody fault of the philhellenic ‘Αγγλοι, it has to be, that potato in their mouth makes it hard for them to get other pronunciations right I guess…;-)

• marie on May 27, 2012 at 07:05

Sean,
      I’m a firm believer too….because the Borg had nothing on the “English” language regarding assimilation.
      “There’s no Czech word for Monty Python silly” -laf – that’s what really caught me eye, of course 🙂

• LeonRover on May 27, 2012 at 08:44

M.

Rocky nooks nooky rocks.

Sure it was not Byronic Helenaphilia ?

Another association for ya. A software writer I worked with called his database Artemis, as a tribute to his wife named Diana.

I visited Evan’s reconstructed Palace in the ’80’s (in between wives!), but was not much impressed his work – all that new stuff.

Do not know if I have any drachmae left after all these years . . . . . . .

• Sean on May 27, 2012 at 09:57

Marie, yes nice analogy.

• Jscott on May 27, 2012 at 10:51

I would agree that English is probably one of the best and exacting systems around. Though, English for all it’s richness lacks the generational wealth that comes from some of the ‘poorer’ languages. It could be that I am just a devil’s advocate. I tend to rebel that way.

Maybe the Czechs have no silly in them? Good. Americans have plenty.

I do find it interesting when cultures have no words for what seems to be foundational human emotion. Is it sanskrit that has no word for depression?

If there is no word for it is it experienced?

• marie on May 29, 2012 at 22:57

Leon, lol rocks.
      Yes, I can see how “Helen of the heart” is bound to produce Helenaphilia.
      Evan’s Palace -true, now that you mention it, but I noticed the (few) still vibrant ancient pigments. I guess, in the eye of…
      Don’t say ‘drachmae’, don’t even Think it right now! There’s an ancient superstition that if you think it, it will happen – shudder.

• marie on May 29, 2012 at 23:01

Jscott, I think they don’t experience it, for example the Greeks have no word for ‘privacy’ – that does make the handling of teen-agers easier 🙂
      Then again, I don’t know if that is a ‘foundational emotion’? For some cultures maybe…

19. Ben on May 25, 2012 at 06:07

I have been interested in this kind of thing for years. I always liked cold showers (well, I like the after effects – I hate doing them).
    It always fascinated me that freezy showers make me feel better (and thats a huge plus having a long history of depression) but spending hours in the cold in winter every day leave me listless, fatiqued, terrible. I guess it’s the same with fasting. A day is probably good, a week probably bad.
    Hormesis and all that, probably.

Sadly the only cryo-chambers around here are in use all the time, for sick people who genuinely need them. I mean, I’m glad for them, I just don’t get to use them.

Oh one more thing I wanted to throw out there: Heat is lost more quickly in water than in air. This explains why (unconditioned) people can actually get hypothermia in water at 80°F, something that would be impossible on land.

20. Pauline on May 25, 2012 at 06:22

Your head talked
    above steaming ice
    your legs shivered
    you whooped f…g freezing!
    my heart quivered
    will he live
    will he jibberwreck
    the door opened
    all’s well
    he lived to tell
    the frosty tale

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 08:21

Laf. Versatile much? O.k. now, you really must publish. Or run a blog, something!
      Still rereading ‘stranger’ comments -Danica (originally disturbed baby) and my husband both thank you too 🙂

• Sean on May 25, 2012 at 11:45

Nice stuff, and I hate poetry 😉

• Pauline on May 26, 2012 at 04:05

Music is poetry with a rhythm – the beat, the blues, the heat, the song, the clip, clop, clang and the hop, the drop to the ground, tap, tang, tong, the songs go on, til you shake, you shiver, you slither around and clap, then slip, slop, slap, you rap along – you’re done.
      (my brain has been bipping along with the thought I hate poetry too).

• Sean on May 26, 2012 at 04:46

And I love music, even have a degree in it.

But music is stealth poetry. If I’m reading a book and there’s a poetical quote opening the chapter, or a long passage, I almost invariably skip it. I think that’s because it usually takes more effort to parse, and I’m not willing to spend that effort, to switch gears.

• Pauline on May 26, 2012 at 05:41

If it is short enough you don’t need to parse (had to look that up – break it down into smaller parts), it just grabs you and takes you along…maybe musicians, poets and writers brains work differently, my partner always hears the beat/ rhythm almost exclusively until I told him I always hear the words first. I like ‘stealth poetry’ maybe there is more poetry in you it just has to come out to play. I have a resistance to anything that has too much structure, I like it to have rhyhthm but it must flow. And for me writing just happens spontaneously, and you get a real kick out of it – an adrenal rush!

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 05:58

Or if it flows, like yours does Pauline. I think the parsing bit for many people may well be a remnant of the typical disastrous education where poetry is to be Studied, line by grueling line, instead of heard.

• Sean on May 26, 2012 at 07:41

Good poetry is usually a condensed form of language–sort of like mathematics in that sense, at least in my opinion, so it often takes more effort to parse poetry than normal language even if the reward is higher.

Back when I had aspirations of being a fiction writer I found that inspiration had to be combined with a lot of perspiration. There’s the spontaneousness of writing a first draft and that’s the time to really go for it and be inspired. But it takes a lot of revision and work to perfect that story. I only managed to sell one story and that was never published because the magazine went bankrupt, so take my experience with a heaping of salt. Good writing can happen spontaneously, great writing is the product of good (or mediocre) writing and a lot of revision.

• Jscott on May 26, 2012 at 09:09

My dislike, nay disdain, of poetry uncovered my inability to deal with over dramatic and flowery men. After one of my ridiculous rants to a talented artist and poet she kindly pointed out that my writing was typically wrapped in free verse poetry. I was floored. Served me right.

I get served dishes of crow quite often.

• Pauline on May 26, 2012 at 09:24

I think if you love words, as I do, you can find yourself drawn to all forms of expression. Those with a more mathematical/engineering brain may enjoy the order and form/structure, while those like myself enjoy the play from free form, almost stream of consciousness stuff. If I re-write I find it gets chopped up and loses something essential for me. I especially like the freedom children have once they learn words and play with stories and ideas, before they have been told there is a right way and someone comes along and teaches you how to write or read properly. I am talking here more about writing from an instinctive level, its like eating, most of our instincts for real food have been overshadowed by all these tastes we have acquired for synthetic foods. That’s simplifying it but I love all that comes raw, unbidden and from some unconscious level.

• Jscott on May 26, 2012 at 09:48

Interesting. I have a friend that freaking LOVES words. I mean, the girl worships all sort of dictionarial deities. I tend to love phrases and have less affinity of individual words. Our conversation and writing style reflects such.

• Pauline on May 26, 2012 at 10:10

I love words in the sense of the play of words, I was lucky I had a grandmother who sang and read to me and introduced me to libraries, and I have never looked back. The UK has brilliant libraries and there’s amazon. There’s always a growing stack of books from all genres piled high in bedroom and lounge. I am never bored if I have a book nearby in coffee shop or at home. And then there are blogs and websites of every nuance. There is a glut of information and my lucky brain has to switch the off button and take a walk and bathe in light and sky and trees. We are having temps of 30 degrees, rare for the UK, but it feels more like the mediterranean this week.

• Sean on May 27, 2012 at 05:44

Kate, I had a teacher who spent a couple weeks going through the famous MacBeth soliloquy when I was a freshman in high school. Spending a whole class period on one or two sentences. To this day it’s the only thing I can quote at length (other than the tears in rain speech, of course), and it was one of the few things I actually learned in high school other than mathematics–gawd, what an intellectually wasteland that was.

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 16:39

Yah, that weather’s on both sides of the Atlantic at similar latitudes right now, rather bizarre. Though sailing with the swans on the lake today was sublime, docking and cooling off in the shade, then out on the water again…mediterranean indeed. Nostalgic.

• Kate Ground on May 26, 2012 at 21:37

Guess I was blessed in school, although my lit teacher went thru Macbeth for two years and we never got passed act 1. I love the beat, the rhythms, the tick, the rock, the rap….all that Pauline said…when I write. Have to have it. Maybe it’s the dancer in me. I need movement in my writing…even if only for my sake.

• Pauline on May 27, 2012 at 05:47

And maybe its the african in me, its the heat, the beat, the dance, the song…and there is a lot of street music, dance, poetry in africa and a worship of real drama expressed in any form – especially love of dance where the body is celebrated in all its beauty and energy. In the movies too like Chicago or Tap, the use of songs, poetry, movement to tell the local tale. Lucky to be born into such a rich culture where your senses are tuned from a young age to all that is gorgeous and savage around and inside one’s self.

• Pauline on May 27, 2012 at 05:54

Dishes of crow is quite wonderful!

• Kate Ground on May 27, 2012 at 08:41

Wasteland it was educationally. But there was Mrs. Thomas, my lang arts teacher. My hero!!! From her I learned the joy of writing…and she liked my work…encouraged me to write. She was a south African Missionary, living in Mexico City and had the patience of Job. I also learned how to smoke cigarettes and skip classes in the Prefect’s lounge.

• Jscott on May 27, 2012 at 10:34

ah ha! +1

• Jscott on May 27, 2012 at 10:38

Yes. I LOVE copying pieces of great writing just to hear/feel the rhythm. I find I am drawn to a certain progression. Just as in music.

–Tick. Tickity tock tick. tick tick tick tick tickity tick tock tick. Tock. Tick tock. —

I am not sure if any of that made sense. Then again, neither does girding one’s loins for -300 degrees. Tick tock.

• Pauline on May 27, 2012 at 11:38

A ‘dish of crows’ and ‘stealth poetry’ are still the cherries on the frosty cake!

• Jscott on May 27, 2012 at 17:45

CAke CAKE!!!

21. mark on May 25, 2012 at 06:42

Here’s what I do in the winter (Toronto). Jump in the snow in my shorts, roll around, then jump in the hot tub. You need both extremes you pussies.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 22:22

marc, Chibougamau, February. Anything else is for wusses – well, the bar’s naturally higher in Canada, eh?;-)

22. Anna K. on May 25, 2012 at 06:50

Richard, are you planning to do regular treatments?

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 08:52

I’m going to try about 10 sessions over a few weeks and see how it goes.

23. Stefani Ruper on May 25, 2012 at 08:26

RICHARD. Did I read through all those comments correctly, and no one asked how it felt while you were in the chamber? Did it go by fast, or feel like eons?

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 08:51

Went by faster than I thought, actually.

• Pauline on May 26, 2012 at 11:26

Watching the video it felt like it all happend in a slow motion movie. With the icy mists and you talking and getting colder, sometimes whooping out how you felt, I got the feeling that time was slower for you because when you called out the time, it was later than you thought… But in retrospect it seemed to go by so fast?

• Richard Nikoley on May 26, 2012 at 17:05

Pauline.

Simple child’s play. Clearly, at -300f I was experiencing time dilation relative to the observer who wasn’t in -300. Duh. 🙂

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 17:59

Duh ! – LOLOL.
      Relativity, that’s all that was missing here!

• Pauline on May 27, 2012 at 05:59

Was wondering how you felt when you were in it though because I wanted to know if you felt any fear or shock while going through that freezing cold and how this affects the brain.

• Richard Nikoley on May 27, 2012 at 08:28

It’s at about 180 deg below when you jump in quickly so as not to let cold pour out. Then the platform lifts up so your head is out, and he turns it on again and the temp dives quickly. You don’t feel cold initially, strangely and at least for me, by the time it could get shocking it’s about over. Happens very quickly and all in all, pretty easy. Warm up afterward is pretty quick, but leaves you with a kind of euphoric feeling.

• Pauline on May 27, 2012 at 08:54

Thanks I was so curious how you felt, that explains it perfectly.

• Kate Ground on May 27, 2012 at 09:19

I’m curious how you feel now, several days later? How long did the euphoria last? Until the red wine exclusion? Do you physically feel anything today?

• Richard Nikoley on May 27, 2012 at 11:23

Lasted for a couple of hours, at least. I’ve been in the cold water since.

• Uncephalized on May 30, 2012 at 10:59

That’s the high temperature gradient/low conductivity combination. It’s only freezing your very outermost layers of skin so your core temp doesn’t get pulled down enough to feel shivery. It’s a pretty cool idea.

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 18:50

Guys do not care how shit feels. Well, cept that.

24. gg on May 25, 2012 at 11:23

Like it or not, you’re my guru dude! I’d think for myself if I could but life is so much simpler if I just pick a few gurus I trust and follow their lead. I know you’ll probably tell me to fuck off and think for myself but that’s just going to make me trust you more dude.

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 12:26

Laf. Be my guest then, I guess. I’ll try not to fuck up too much.

25. Shelley on May 25, 2012 at 14:12

Yum, Michael Mina – I went there on a business dinner one night. I didn’t know it was famous, but it was delicious (I think, I may have had too much wine). I should have known it was though since the company that was paying had deep pockets with big allowances…lucky me…

• Richard Nikoley on May 25, 2012 at 19:18

Mina showed us a great time last night. He and his business partner gave me shit all night and I loved it. Got him to give me some tips on my red wine reduction.

• Kate Ground on May 25, 2012 at 20:06

Share red wine reduction….is that where you sit in a tub of cold red wine? I’m game….

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 20:45

Kate, you’re mind works in truly beautiful ways.

• LeonRover on May 25, 2012 at 23:57

She’s game, and you are game ?

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 05:50

LeonRover,
      Your mind, on the other hand….tsk tsk, trying to make a belle blush.

• LeonRover on May 26, 2012 at 07:02

There is an sandwich chain in London called “Pret a Manger”.

I giggle much to myself while changer the verb . . . . .

Choose your own.

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 16:05

Change is a delectable;-)

• LeonRover on May 25, 2012 at 23:51

It gotta be warm, reduction by evaporation – otherwise expansion by freezing, unless yr below the Triple Point.

26. BigRob on May 25, 2012 at 15:09

Here in Fairbanks, Alaska it averages 20 to 30 below in the Winter. I might just have to start going outside in swim trunks for 10 to 15 mins for my cryo.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 15:44

Oh oh Rob, but will you still be Big then ?

• Joe on May 25, 2012 at 16:04

Ain’t no way the embargo on dick jokes will hold.

Not on this subject.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 16:26

Sigh, even I succumbed. But the temptation was too Big, come on now! 🙂
      BTW, I think the objection is on jokes In Place of any useful/interested comments, not in Addition to them.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 16:31

PS > BigRob, no offense I hope? I’ve been to Alaska twice and loved the off-beat humor and straight-faced teasing 🙂

• Jscott on May 25, 2012 at 18:55

ah hahaha she said suc–cummed. Ah hahaa.

• marie on May 25, 2012 at 19:06

Shhhh! Keep your spilling…uhh…Spelling to yourself.

• BigRob on May 29, 2012 at 09:07

None taken, you’ve hit IT right on the head!

• marie on May 29, 2012 at 10:20

Oooh! Big Rob, that was worth waiting for 🙂

• Pauline on May 28, 2012 at 01:48

I have always loved stories about the ice/snow and freezing temps, even nature programs to do with very cold weather conditions. The history of Scott’s mission to the Poles and the dog races in sub zero conditions. I think it’s the extreme of it, when you see people living in this their natural habitat it is so different to what I know. Maybe its because part of my Ancestry is from Northern Scotland. Poland often goes below -20/30 degrees (I like to follow the world weather patterns). I went to the Maritime Museum in Bristol – that is a visual adventure, really brings Scott and Shackleton expeditions to life.

• Pauline on May 28, 2012 at 02:16

Correction, that should be Liverpool Maritime Museum not Bristol.

27. Kate Ground on May 25, 2012 at 17:57

I still think Richard is nuts! Oops, A shrinkage joke?

28. EatLessMoveMoore on May 26, 2012 at 00:07

Watch it! You’ve been warned about those…

• marie on May 26, 2012 at 06:24

Yeah, but ain’t “no moderation” wonderful….putting in practice the whole ‘no gurus’ , ‘no directives’, free minds idea….sigh!
      And people world-wide having a ball up above, from physics to physiology to linguistics to poetry to freezing ding-a-ling-jokes…..oh, which reminds me :

• Jscott on May 26, 2012 at 10:00

ah haha! Chuck Chuck Chuck.

29. Jscott on May 26, 2012 at 09:28

In summary, we ascertained the N=1 styled experiment utilizing cryo-therapy produces digressive psychedelic conversations among observers.

Recommendation: For Rich R. Nikoley to continue such freezing of body in order to enrich, educate, and elevate the state of humanity. At present time we are unable to control for penis jokes.

• Sean on May 27, 2012 at 05:50

P > .05

30. Paleo Diet News: Sunday Link Love » Your source for Paleo Diet information on May 27, 2012 at 07:00

[…] At the Free The Animal Blog, Richard gets his extreme-cold on: First Cryo-Therapy Session. Sub-300 degrees below zero F for 3 minutes […]

31. Weekly Roundup #21 on May 27, 2012 at 04:19

[…] or submerging yourself in a bathtub filled with icy water, but what about liquid nitrogen? Richard has put up a video of him on his first session of Cryo-Therapy, where for about 2.5 to 3 minutes he puts himself through -300 […]

32. Jscott on May 27, 2012 at 11:09

“Under the radar: How blog commenters are using Blogs for conversations unattended. http://bit.ly/LzPnco @rnikoley”

via DailySuicide’s BRILLIANT twitter feed.

33. emf? on June 2, 2012 at 00:31

how about using a emf meter to see how much radiation that thing pumps?…

34. Dave, RN on June 5, 2012 at 12:34

There’s a place in Dallas that does this. I ran across the website last year but for the life of me cannot find it… I do recall that it was about $70 a session…

35. Issue #18 | Paleo Weekly on July 26, 2012 at 16:45