Free the Animal Book Trailer – 2nd Try

Thanks to all the helpful input I got from the 1st try at this, I put together a new one. Short & sweet at 1:15.

So sometime this week my publisher will be kicking off a special promotion for the book, for which sales are still remarkably going very well—in spite of the odd silly review on amazon.

1. marie on May 13, 2012 at 11:23

Richard, it might be just me of course, but in case it’s not, I thought I’d let you know that I’ve tried a few times but it’s not playing. Can see static image, but when I hit play it just goes black.

2. Stefani Ruper on May 13, 2012 at 11:31

FREEDOM. Win.

Works for me. Using Google Chrome.

3. marie on May 13, 2012 at 11:35

Still no -Mac, Safari. Does work if I follow the link to run it on youtube.
    I agree with Stefani, freedom focus is cool.

• Richard Nikoley on May 13, 2012 at 12:00

marie:

you have the same issue with safari on mac I do. It’s not just my video, it’s tons of them, and it’s often when clicking a link to it (but usually embed works).

this is a mac/safari issue.

• steve on May 13, 2012 at 18:33

Rich,
        lose the apple shit. It’s hard to justify being a free animal and using the closed apple shit.
        You may as well call yourself the caged animal.

massive dissonance happening, right it

• Richard Nikoley on May 13, 2012 at 23:00

Steve, just go fuck off and I don’t want to hear about it. Search my fuckimg blog, I’ve been a windows, client/server, enterprise level guy who set up my own shit for multiple offices remotely with a central database I spent over a million dollars to develop.

Fuck off. Apple is the way to go personally, and I finally learned that after 20 years of staunch resistance so I’m not interested in your 13-yr-old wet dreams.

• Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2012 at 11:17

Steve

First, I apologize. A bit over the top, me. I’ll offer a poor excuse, because that’s the best they ever are: had just returned from a mother’s day BBQ and my aunt, mother of Jorge was there. I got drunk, Bea drove home. I was weepy, pissed at the world, reflective and so on. I didn’t speak a word in anger there, so you were random stranger commenter who got it dished out.

Sorry.

Here’s my setup (the photo)

I went from having PC towers at the office, home, cabin, and a notebook to travel with to one MacBookPro that drove a 30″ cinema display at home where it had taken a high end gamer video card to do it with the PC.

Still have all the client server stuff at the office, but I do love my Macs (I now run the highest end McBookAir for everything–only computer I have, and it runs a 27″ HD monitor). I get the value of closed hardware. They only have to contend with a small, finite set of OS, driver and app permutations, and better for the user. Problems are pretty rare.

Cheers.

• steve on May 15, 2012 at 03:19

Rich,
        too funny! I was likewise drunk when I made the above comment.

I know Apple makes quality stuff. I’m thoroughly done with Microsoft and just need to get my lazy ass moving and download Ubuntu.

My interest in open source is more of a political thing. The political situation is pretty well fucked and only seems to be getting worse. I’ve been thinking about an evolution towards an open source type government. I don’t think an inside the system libertarian approach is gonna work, and I’m hoping for a completely new paradigm. We’ll see what happens.

• Richard Nikoley on May 15, 2012 at 07:40

Oh, that’s choice.

The “Paleo Pub” strikes again.

Cheers, mate.

4. Txomin on May 13, 2012 at 14:39

I was able to see it (Windows 7 + Opera) and I am impressed. You’ve gone from painful to watch to quite acceptable in no time at all. Your visual persona is still way behind your writing persona but it is nonetheless coming along nicely. Keep on practicing, my friend.

5. BabyGirl on May 13, 2012 at 19:51

Better. Much better in terms of the hopping and bopping around and looking off camera.

Keep practicing. 🙂

One question, why video though?

I do a substantial amount of work online in a PR field, and read very quickly, (had to learn that skill to survive working online) and I always shy away from video because it takes too much of my time.

That might just be me though. Maybe some people like them?

I only watched your video because it’s you. Any time I come across a video, I’ll just keep googling until I can find the info I want in text/print.

As far as marketing, one thing you might want to consider is sponsoring a Pinterest contest. Free copy of the book to the winner and five copies for them to give away. You would give your Pinners and interested people the task of creating a board that highlights something you want to promote. So you’d have to decide what the boards should carry. Boards with a theme that has some variation are interesting. Or you could do straight recipes, or only excerise, or any combination of anything really. It’s your contest, you make the rules. If you decide to, read this first: http://socialfresh.com/pinterest-contests/

Be sure and tell contestants to use #FreetheAnimal in all their pins. Then you have a board where YOU pin those pins. You post updates here, you tweet it, Facebook, and get it going.

And since you are trying to market your book to more people, you’ll want to go with “Most likes/Repins.” http://socialfresh.com/pinterest-contests/

And since a lot of people have their Pinterest account set up to feed to their Facebook & Twitter accounts, all the folks who participate will be advertising for you.

I don’t know where you live, but if I was in charge of your PR campaign, I’d be pitching you to the local paper as a very unique blogger who’s also running a Pinterest contest. Reporters love writing about social media.

Hey, let me know if I can help.

• Richard Nikoley on May 13, 2012 at 23:12

Baby girl

If I didn’t keep trying it would be hard for me to imply to ask people to come back. I’m al alone.

And yet, my book is approaching 5,000 copies sold, perhaps only about 2,000 attributable to my bog readers.

We just began work on my second book today. And third is being talked about.

I’m almost getting the sense that I know what I’m doing.

6. BabyGirl on May 14, 2012 at 00:32

Richard, my apologies. I didn’t mean to imply by my remarks that you were doing something wrong or didn’t know what you were doing. I only mentioned my perspective on video because of the way it works (or doesn’t work) for me. I’m just not that into it.

I’m bullish on contests because our firm recently finished publicizing a contest and we received a ton of publicity for the client. Also, I recently won a gift card from a national grocery chain for a pinterestt board I created in about ten minutes time.

• Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2012 at 08:59

Baby Girt.

Oh, no sweat. I always appreciate it and at least you didn’t come in implying I don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to computers. 🙂

• BabyGirl on May 14, 2012 at 10:49

I figure everyone is going to use what they like best for computers. 🙂

I just finished Steve Jobs biography last night.

7. josef on May 14, 2012 at 10:47

Much better. This is what I suggest:

1. Contain your dog during filming. It showed up on the video and it is distracting.

2. Shorten the gap between your answers and the next question.

3. Mention specific examples of health improvements from your system. I.E. – Book contains your tartar control protocol (it was a miracle for me).

4, I’m assuming your wife is your interviewer. Put this lovely lady on camera next to you.

• Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2012 at 11:06

Josef

Thanks, man. We actually did 3 takes and 2 was the best, but Rotor peed on something (photobomb!). Since the book is Free the Animal we couldn’t bring ourselves to lock up the dogs. We had to go with take 3.

All else taken under advisement. Yep. That was Beatrice the Lovely. She was not only interviewer, but director, including about everything, like how my hair was, which shirt, all that stupid shit because I’m so inept at all of this.

8. Alex on May 14, 2012 at 13:02

fell asleep during the trailer, haha jk,,,as an example of a great book trailer look up tim ferriss and his trailer for the 4-hour body book

• Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2012 at 13:07

Alex, yea, I’ll take that from you. Didn’t have 50-100k to toss at it.

But, I’ll be back. I absolutely think short ebook is the way to go. I follow Seth Godin’s Domino Project with Amazon and am convinced, so it’s where I’m all in on the thing.

• Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2012 at 13:08

I began my second book project with Hyperink yesterday.

9. rob on May 15, 2012 at 04:50

“I could be cleaning, I could be organizing, I could be cooking, I could pick up a shift at work… there are so many productive things to do that will move your body and expend energy, the idea of staying in a building with a bunch of jokers repeating the same motions over and over with no freedom is kind of like hell. Going to the gym is almost as horrible as sitting on my ass at a desk job, srsly.”

I always feel like “Stranger In A Strange Land” when I read that kind of thing because to me the perfect life is going to the gym, then have some drinks, eat a bunch of food and scratch my balls every now and then … my goal in life is to be so unproductive that a patch of moss seems wildly productive in comparison.

10. Richard Nikoley on May 15, 2012 at 06:48

I believe I’ve seen her in comments at Stephan’s place. I’ll check it out.

• Andrew on May 15, 2012 at 08:49

Another one worth a look is

• Andrew on May 16, 2012 at 08:36

And J. Stanton has a new post this morning, and it’s amazing.

11. JOE on May 16, 2012 at 08:27

Hi Nick, I’m a big fan of your site. As I was looking at some of your old pics you talked about how you took long walks everyday and tried other diets which did not work for you. Now that you believe calories matter do you think you failed back then because you were eating too many calories?

I’m asking because I have failed trying the paleo route not because I can’t follow the guidelines. I’m too weak I suppose. Knowing this about myself my new goal is to count my calories and walk three miles everyday that I can. I’m only going to try to lose one calorie per week because I always seem to gain back the two pounds a week which was my previous goal. I’ve been sitting between 170-175 for the last year and I want to get to around 150. I’m 5 “8”.

• JOE on May 16, 2012 at 08:29

sorry about the obvious typos. I meant one pound a week rather than one calorie.

• Richard Nikoley on May 17, 2012 at 12:55

Joe:

Yea, a 300-500 cal deficit per day should do the trick, paleo style, and the walking. Alternatively, find out how many calls you eat to stay the same weight, keeping eating that 6 days per week, and go one 24-30 hour period with no food.

12. Kate Ground on May 16, 2012 at 08:46

Wow. Much better video. You look more relaxed and the dog adds some class.

13. Hot Pocket on May 17, 2012 at 08:02

Get the fuck off camera and let Bea do the damned clip by herself. Your belly’s an embarrassment to the entire Paleo community.

• Richard Nikoley on May 17, 2012 at 09:48

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement, “Hot Pocket.”

Sobering times. See, I have to balance being an embarrassment to the Paleo comminity with that link in the menu bar to success stories and the backlog of emails of thanks from people, as well, the distribution of my book to around 5,000 people so far, a huge slice of them new people just taking a look at Paleo.

I seem to be more “attractive” to the older, fatter folks who see themselves in my shoes, than I do ripped 20-somethings. Different strokes and shit.

Well, I better get off my fat ass and get to more activity leading to embarrassment for your Paleo community.

Thanks again, though.

14. Steve on May 17, 2012 at 17:28

You’ve got a face for Radio Richard! 🙂

I enjoy your writing, but don’t care to much for the videos, not that you will or should care.

Good to hear your book is doing well!