Livebloging #AHS12 When I Feel Like it

It’s 1:30 am.

Ran into to Sisson earlier,  on purpose, as he was checking in about an hour after I did.

Yan, a longtime reader and geek from Denmark (he was at #AHS11), bought me too many drinks and then I bought him dinner. I had about a dozen raw oysters and steak tartare. All raw. Settled well.

Got back to the Charles Hotel just in time to run into Frank Forencich, who is also presenting. We shot the shit for an hour at least.

He and I are the only guys in the paleosphere who will be focussing on the mind.

So stay tuned.

1. Aaron Blaisdell on August 9, 2012 at 03:36

Not the only two, there’s also Peter Gray (same session as Frank). And Emily Deans.

• Richard Nikoley on August 9, 2012 at 08:17

Yea, a bit out of it when I wrote that. I meant in kind of the philosophical way Frank & I do, not psychological.

2. Erik on August 9, 2012 at 11:41

Speaking of raw animal parts, if you see any raw marrow up for grabs, go for it! Just had some for the first time last week, don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner…

• Mo on August 9, 2012 at 13:40

I love roasted bone marrow, but have never tried it raw. How was it served? Chilled, room temp, any accompaniments?

• Erik on August 9, 2012 at 15:53

It was served with a roasted sweet potato mashed with GOOD butter, a bunch of finely chopped raw skirt steak, and a stir-fry of onions, cherry tomatoes, kale, and more bone marrow (chopped into 1/2″ thick medallions) in coconut oil. The raw marrow was served sliced into similar medallions, a little cooler than room temp. The marrow and steak were from the little ranch I intern at; cleaner and tastier beef is not to be found. It was a great dinner. I’m looking forward to the next time we take some animals in to the butcher; more marrow coming up!

• Mo on August 9, 2012 at 19:38

That sounds so delicious! I’ll try to duplicate it. Where is the ranch?

• Erik on August 9, 2012 at 21:05

It’s right in the westernmost little tip of NY state, so I get to look out over Lake Erie from the hillside pastures while working. It’s pretty sweet. It is a very small operation and we can barely fill demand, though. Just enough for the local farmer’s market and a co-op and a couple nice restaurants in Buffalo.

• Mo on August 10, 2012 at 04:41

Lucky you! I’m in Manhattan, that would make a nice road trip.

3. sync on August 10, 2012 at 20:43

Blogging when you feel like it, eh? Since I only read your blog when I feel like it, that sounds like mighty fair deal to me!

4. J Squared on August 11, 2012 at 16:34

Dude, make sure your update includes lots of photos of all those hot, hot, AHS babes! The ratio of hot to not hot is remarkable.

• Richard Nikoley on August 11, 2012 at 16:41

J Cubed (you’ve been promoted):

Yea, I just couldn’t bring myself to blog as things were going on. Don’t have a ton of photos, unfortunately. Actually, the makeup by my sense was substantially different than AHS11, where it was a high proportion of young people. Average age way higher this time I think and there were far more obese people, male and female, than I recall seeing at AHS11. But I consider that a good thing—that they feel comfortable showing themselves during their progress.

I’m considering my thoughts now. I fly out in the morning and the Virgin America flight will have WiFi, so I hope to publish my wrap up in flight.

5. EatLessMoveMoore on August 12, 2012 at 18:40

CarbSane’s wrap-up (of sorts): http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2012/08/thoughts-on-ahs12.html. Jimmy Moore isn’t doing you any favors with photos like that, man (what he was even doing there in the first place is a question that has yet to be answered). But her thoughts on the fallout from C-Wordgate are interesting. Far more obese people = welcome, low carbers (as they continue to attempt to hijack the movement…).

• Bill on August 12, 2012 at 20:09

LOL. Evelyn spent half the column tearing Richard a new asshole, and you pretend Jimmy’s at fault? Oooh, what clever rhetorical sleight-of-hand! How did you get time off from running the Presidential campaign? HAHAHAHA.

Anyway, it’s too bad Evelyn DIDN’T go; Richard could have hidden behind her.

As could have the rest of the attendees.

At the same time. 🙂

But holy crap, Evelyn’s column was funny. An 18,000 word lie to hide the seven-word truth: “I’m too damn fat to show myself.”

• EatLessMoveMoore on August 13, 2012 at 18:15

Evelyn’s had more to say about AHS than a lot of people who were actually there.

• Bill on August 14, 2012 at 10:04

Evelyn always has more to say than those with first-hand knowledge.

And everything she has to say is shitty.

Arrogant, wrong, or obese — pick any two and you can still be a guru.

All three, you lose.

Evelyn = loser.

(And she knows it. Hence, no appearance.)

• Richard Nikoley on August 14, 2012 at 11:26

The very first thing I’m going to do when I get my visible abs, if I can, is to post a picture like what we used to do when we were kids—when body fat was measured in ounces—relaxing or distending our bellies for effect. I was relaxed, hunched over. Oh, well.

I am disappointed that Jimmy would post a clearly unflattering pic. I would never do that to anyone. I have a time or two scolded family members over posting pics and tagging them in Facebook—even amongst family.

I know I can’t complain because I signed up for the whole deal, so I’m not going to whine about it. But I’d never, ever do it. Alright. There’s a data point for me.

6. rob on August 13, 2012 at 05:04

From the wrap ups it seems like AHS was mostly people talking about food.

I think something more active could be a big success, kind of like MoveNat camps except more recreational. Three words:

Paleo Adventure Travel

Could be something as simple as three days and nights of learning how to hang glide, sleeping in tents or campers and cooking fresh food outdoors.