New England Style Clam Chowder Tonight

Not the complete list of ingredients, but most, and the essentials.

IMG 1297
Clams

I’m using and synthesizing ideas from three different recipes. I’ll blog how it came out tomorrow.

Until then, time to get busy in the kitchen, which I love.

1. Paul Halliday on November 10, 2012 at 14:01

Good on you, Niko – Clam Chowder is quite possibly one of modern cuisine’s finest moments.

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2012 at 14:06

Yea, it’s gotta be in the top 5 of all comfort foods of all time.

2. Geoff on November 10, 2012 at 14:37

I don’t see any salt pork in that picture. Is it under the parsley?

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2012 at 14:43

I’m on the Paleoish here, Geoff (given the H&H & cream). It’s thin sliced center cut bacon under that parsley.

• Geoff on November 10, 2012 at 15:24

Not traditional, but Paleo-ish enough. I’ve rolled my chowda with bacon too once or twice (as my Downesast ancestors turn in their graves). Salt pork or uncured side meat/belly is still the real deal though. That goddamn carrot is the bigger offender.

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2012 at 15:26

“That goddamn carrot is the bigger offender.”

Laf. For me, too. It’s in one of the three recipes and I’m really really on the fence about adding it in.

• Geoff on November 10, 2012 at 15:28

Don’t do it! There’s still time to turn back!

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2012 at 15:46

How about a tiny bit of coarsely grated carrot for color and plain life spice? I’m an anarchist, after all. 🙂

• Geoff on November 10, 2012 at 15:58

Well played. How could I object to anarchy? Just use it as a garnish and we’re all good.

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2012 at 16:02

At this point, the balance of the space-time continuum is obviously at stake and when that happens, I pay attention. 🙂

3. David Nikoley on November 18, 2012 at 07:22

Excellent Chowder Bro! I followed the recipe but added half sweet potatoe and have regular. Added nice color and flavor.