Pork Chops Sous Vide with Potato Mash & Gravy

I decided to roll out the SousVide Supreme yesterday and do one of my favorites: pork chops. I brined them for an hour and a half (5 tbsp salt for a quart of water), then vacuum sealed, and about 2 hours at 141F in the SVS.

I seared them quickly on the grill after rubbing a bit of butter on them.

P1020825

One thing I do quite differently than before is the amount of added fat such as butter and cream. Instead, I use more stock and reduce it more. In this case, just a bit of butter to sweat some chopped crimini mushrooms and a shallot. Then I add the chicken stock and reduce slowly for a long time. Then about 2/3 there, I add about a few dashes of white wine, I strain the whole thing, continue to reduce and then just a couple of dashes of heavy cream of half & half.

Potato mash is the same way. A bit of butter, salt, pepper and cream or half & half.

P1020827

The sauce makes the dish.

1. ladysadie1 on November 8, 2012 at 10:47

Oh, my! The SVS=a mortgage payment! How might a person acheive that effect without the cool equipment?

• Richard Nikoley on November 8, 2012 at 11:17

I don’t have a link handy, but there are some far less expensive gadgets on the market that does a good job controlling your slow cooker. Google around a bit.

2. Chuck Currie on November 8, 2012 at 12:04

Do you make you own chicken broth? If not, where do you get yours? What brand?

Most commercial brands contain way too many additives for me.

• Richard Nikoley on November 8, 2012 at 12:12

Chuck

Excellent question. I’ve blogged about this a couple of times but here’s the deal. I use one hellava lot of stock because I like to reduce it to intense flavor. I simply cant make enough to even come close to my requirements. So, my compromise:

I get the unsalted versions. In a tast test with all other popular, organic stocks, etc., far better, and the only one that sports 5g protein per cup.

Here’s the ingredient list in the unsalted chicken stock I used:

“CHICKEN STOCK, CHICKEN FLAVOR, HONEY, VEGETABLE STOCKS (CARROT, ONION, MUSHROOM, CELERY), BAY, THYME, PEPPER.”

• Chuck Currie on November 8, 2012 at 16:20

WooHoo! It’s now on my shopping list. Thanks.

Cheers

3. ladysadie1 on November 8, 2012 at 12:14

Oh, that is a great idea! I just bought a roaster at the feed store that has temperature controls that should work fine for that, it’s not even out of the box yet so I didn’t think of it. Thanks!

4. […] I just didn't know which recipe to use. I've done them SV two different ways before (here and here), but wanted to do something […]