Chick Asks What She Can Possibly Do With Just One Potato

Actually, she (Catherine McCord of Weelicious) uses two, but you’ll have to watch her explicit video to see how she manages that.

I have no idea whether this is safe for work, or not.

I found it didn’t work as well for guys like me. The butter was sufficient, but I preferred two russets, and also preferred the one I peeled beforehand, and buttered up. Likely something to do with reducing the volume….

….

Alright, let me break the gratuitously stupid suspense with a picture of new puppies.

IMG 0690
Killers in the making

Those are of the latest litter from our longtime Rat Terrier breeder, and horse lady friend Nancy, AKA “Wild Oak Lady.” That photo is courtesy of her son, photographer Bob Worthington. I can’t seem to quit looking at it (click it for bigger).

IMG 1370

You can use whatever method you like from the video to slice, but I thought of this cutting board I have with the indentation for a turkey, and then just used a long knife right to the board, so I don’t cut all the way through to get that fan thing going, but don’t have to fuck around like a lame duck, either.

I also did the cut—to make them lay flat—on the narrow, not the fat side, so that they stand more erect. Who doesn’t prefer erect?

IMG 1371

In keeping with my potato hack ethic, only 1 tsp of fat per potato. Unfortunately, Beatrice got into the butter last night for her rice, and apparently, does not slice from the end…

IMG 1372

Instead of two unpeeled potatoes, one russet and one Yukon gold, I did two russets—one peeled and one not.

She called for 475, for 30 minutes. I put them in (brush buttered & salted) when the oven was only at 300-something, and so set the timer for 40 minutes. Not near done enough at 40, and went another 15m after spreading the rest of the butter on for that last round.

I had TJ‘s organic ketchup and malt vinegar on the side, lots of sea salt. Hands down winner was the PEELED, malt vinegar. That one was gone before getting even half into the other.

The one with the peel was too…unprepared…inside, really. I surmise that’s it’s probably best to just peel it all off and let it hang out there, exposed, for a better result.

1. John Clarke-Allmark on December 8, 2012 at 02:36

I’ve been following your spud principle since the start Richard. Now that photo and editing season is winding down a bit pre Christmas here in the UK, I’ve got some time on my hands, so decided to dive in. Started Wednesday, down 4lb in three days. That surprised me. Any other surprises up your sleeve Richard??

• Richard Nikoley on December 8, 2012 at 06:22

Who knows but I sense this will overall result in a paleo approach not being necessarily low carb. My biggest surprise has been in how I feel on the mostly spuds deal, a little added protein and fat. Better energy, less sleep, great focus, etc.

Probably in the end, potatoes are going to form a pretty prominent part of my diet.

• LeonRover on December 8, 2012 at 06:26

More potato, more potassium.

K for potassium, also for K for Kitavan – yeah – adding K to Paleo.

2. gabriella kadar on December 7, 2012 at 18:32

Nice looking. I’m going to try it this week-end.

Hey, Richard, I bet when you use a knife you don’t ‘saw’ with it. I know I’m being particular, but amateurs in the kitchen use the knife as a saw. I’m sure you sharpen your knives and just cut down. I know, groan, I’m being critical but it’s a sort of pet peeve when watching YouTube cooking videos….. okay, back to check on my pork with homemade sauerkraut.

• Richard Nikoley on December 7, 2012 at 19:31

Yes, I keep my Henkels sharp, I have a steel, and I use a down and back method. I call it slicing.

• gabriella kadar on December 8, 2012 at 05:32

Yup that’s the proper way to use a knife. One day you may incorporate the teaching of proper knife techniques in a cooking vid. All these ‘eye candy’ chicks who can’t handle a knife…..

• aminoKing on December 7, 2012 at 19:52

Hey Gabriella, could you share your homemade sauerkraut recipe/method? I’ve tried to make a couple of times myself and it never works. I eat the bought stuff, but I’d really prefer to make my own.

Nice potatoes too Richard BTW – of course.

• gabriella kadar on December 8, 2012 at 05:28

I follow Sandor Katz recipe. He’s got YouTube videos about food fermentation. I’ve been reading his new book ‘The Art of Fermentation’.

3. the 3volution of j3nn on December 7, 2012 at 19:35

I was going to make potato rounds for my high-potato hack dinner (I’m including other naturally low, low, low fat foods), but Hasselback potatoes are way more fun!! Preheating oven now. Yum!

4. ryan on December 7, 2012 at 19:53

This is one I need to try. Did you find you had low energy towards the beginning? I’m on day three following your method and my energy levels have been terrible. Almost low carb flu-ish.

• Richard Nikoley on December 7, 2012 at 21:52

Ryan, my energy soars, unlike in a few years and I sleep about 2 hrs less per night.

5. Bay Area Sparky on December 7, 2012 at 20:13

What’s your position on salt, Richard.

You seem to use a lot.

Especially in your language.

• Richard Nikoley on December 7, 2012 at 21:50

I like to be on top of salt.

I use as much as I want, I think paleo nonsense about salt is nonsense and for potatoes in particular, a lot is great to balance the potassium. Sodium / potassium balance.

• LeonRover on December 8, 2012 at 06:22

“salty . . . . language”

Since I went from sel ordinaire to K-Na balanced (Lo Salt) I noticed my verbals have also become more balanced.

(Tongue firmly in cheek. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9dFsxxHQM )

6. Bay Area Sparky on December 7, 2012 at 20:14

Adorable pups, btw.

7. Tatertot on December 8, 2012 at 10:42

I was just reading the latest from Dr. Davis: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/12/wheat-belly-quick-dirty-2/

He says:
    Enjoy unlimited:
    Vegetables-except potatoes;

Never (eat):
    …Processed rice, rice flour or potato products…

Someone needs to educate the good doctor.

• Paleophil on July 1, 2015 at 15:32

Enjoy unlimited potatoes, other vegetables optional. 🙂

Don’t worry, low carbers, potatoes are just Irish meat. 😉

8. Val on December 9, 2012 at 08:08

(Adorable puppies! Might your family be expanding Richard??)

New potato recipe looks wondrous – the only thing that has held me back from going full-bore into Potato Mode is the memory of my endocrinologist (naturally thin, therefore infuriating) telling me in years past (when I was still complaining vociferously about post-thyroidectomy weight gain) that the “Thyroid Diet” basically meant nothing WHITE: no sugar, no flour, no potatoes, no white rice…
    Not that I’ve adhered faithfully to these precepts – as you say, Richard, I need to Just Do It… If I feel too crappy I just return to my half-assed paleo ways.

9. Dragos on December 9, 2012 at 13:38

This blog is fucking awesome, I’ve learned a lot from here.

Keep up the good work Richard!

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2012 at 14:36

Why thank you, Dragos.

Amazing what can happen when allowed to think of all possibilities, no taboos.

• Dragos on December 9, 2012 at 18:14

I’ve just tried this recipe, it’s wonderful.

Removing the skin will make the potato more crunchy. And to solve the “unprepared…inside” issue I’ve did another cut, but this time perpendicular on the other ones.

And one more thing, after 40 min add a slice of tomato on top of each potato, all that juice will flow straight inside, making it delicious.

Thanks, I’ve shared this with everybody 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on December 9, 2012 at 20:16

Dragos

Wait until you see what I did tonight. Friday night I made potato soup, boild in beef stock with onion and a few cloves of garlic, lots of parsley, a few chunks of elk sausage. Let it reduce a lot, mashed, added a bit of sour cream and a bit of whole milk to make cramy.

Tonight, I did those potatoes and guess what leftovers got poured over them?

Oh, my.

10. Dave on December 16, 2012 at 13:38

Thank you for passing on this recipe, as I tried it for lunch today and was very pleased with how it came out (with a red potato and a sweet). Now, I just have experiment with other potatoes strains and see how it is cold.