More Mostly Potato Dishes and a Rant About the Usual Suspect Paleo Pussies

Word is, a bunch of Mark’s Daily Apple Forum folks are giving this a shot. Good for them.

Anyone who admonishes you to not go a week or two eating mostly just potatoes on the basis of whatever contrived fears abound (mostly rooted in envy that you have an actual independent mind not driven by their fears) is just stupid and dismissible out of hand.

Whether this works or doesn’t, makes you feel good, bad, or indifferent…whether you love it or hate it…is all something only you can find out for yourself. I wasn’t afraid of giving it a try and I’m not only not afraid, but in full-on welcome for anyone’s personal assessment—good or bad, bring it right out here in the open. …But at least try it, in order to speak from some authority. We’re not very kind to idiots around here; itself a liability, now, because paleo is 80%+ moron and growing moron by the day.

<rant> I’m only interested in the true 10% of fuck-you Paleos. I figure those 10% are worth far more than quadruple the 80% of paleo fucktards. BTW, paleo fucktards? That’s  the lion’s share of all the newbies over the last few years. Prior to that, we had evolutionary, in-your-face-critical thinkers with thick skin. Now paleo is totally pussy and it’s totally cool to be a fucking little pussy boy. I swear: the next little teenage girl who happens to sport a male appendage but who instead acts like a fucking little pussy victim girl—with sensitivity and feelings—on some thread here or there? I’m gonna lose it. Jesus how I fucking hate them with a passion that transcends even the rant I’m able to bring here. Or here: Paleo Pussies (blast form 2009 when there weren’t a fraction of as many).

Go away, pussies. Go away! Most of you. You are not worthy of runny shit. You disgust me. Most of you. And I do know you’re reading. You little shits-for-brains know who you are; you know who I’m talkinig about. </rant>

Alright, the few fearless who remain—because I love to help the real paleo minded, non fear-motivated whenever I can, and screw the rest to death—let’s cover another dish and I’m doing just this one, because I’ve just come to believe this may be all you need because it’s that good. Commenter Amy is the star.

My favorite way to do potatoes is so simple but always gets raves: peel a few potatoes. Slice them width-wise about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through a few times, so you get a “fan effect” from the slices. Place in a baking dish. Melt a tsp or two of butter per potato in 2 cups of beef or chicken stock, season potatoes with S&P. Pour stock over potatoes and bake at 400F for an hour, basting potatoes frequently.

The stock will reduce into a thick sauce and the potatoes are tender inside, crispy out. Leftover are great with an egg the next day.

I S&Pd after pouring the stock over, and I never, ever baste. I only did two largish potatoes and she said several. The stock was a bit much, but no matter. I just set aside the goodies in the oven that I’d turned off, and reduced the sauce on the stove a bit. I also have wild kill elk in the form of kielbasa (uncooked, uncured). I used one normal frank-sized sausage sliced the same way as the potatoes (for two people). As such, I didn’t do the butter because this has some fat (remember: tiny fat & protein, that’s the key). Tuned out great but I got no pictures. Beatrice devoured hers. I liked it so much I did it again for brunch, and this time I got photos.

IMG 1364
Before Oven
IMG 1366
After Oven

Those bits (1/4 of the frank) of elk look crispy but actually, they’re more desiccated, and once they got mixed in they took on the most amazing, delicious, gummy bear chewiness ever. And so do the potatoes on top as contrast to the more paste like ones at bottom. Delishiouuuuus!

So basically, that’s two largish potatoes peeled and sliced. I did melt 2 tsp of butter in the bottom and in exchange used only a quarter of the elk kielbasa instead of half (for one person). Lay in the potatoes, then I just added stock directly until about half up the side. Then the meat & S&P. 400F for about 70 minutes.

It was perhaps the best of the potato dishes yet. I just ate it as I was writing this. I could easily do this every day. Imagine the variations with some onion. Bacon instead of my elk. Pork Sausage? Anything, just remember: token fat, token protein. Incidentally, Kitchen Basics stock is zero fat and has 5g protein per cup. The unsalted chicken and beef is really the ideal palatability companion to this potato deal (as others have tried on my recommendation and concurred).

All right all you non-pussies, go give that a shot.

1. Karnivore on December 3, 2012 at 13:25

So is this just potato, or combine it with protein for the two week experiment?

• Richard Nikoley on December 3, 2012 at 13:42

Karnivore: as in this and all of my previous post: mostly potato. Minuscule added protein and fat for palatability. No more than perhaps 10% of the overall calories.

This is just my take. I don’ think that level is going to have much effect on the overall results which have been so profound anyway, what do you care if you lose .5 pound a day instead of .6?

2. Joe on December 3, 2012 at 13:35

I’m on day 10 of my experiment. Regardless of whether the science worked, part of my driving force was to prove to myself I actually have some will power as I’ve been off the wagon on eating real food and I figured eating just potatoes would give me a chance to retrain my tastebuds not to crave sugary crap again. Down 3.7kg (over 8lb) so far, and not much in the way of hunger. I had one dodgy day where I felt weirdly hypo, but that passed. I’ve been pretty unimaginative and strict about sticking with just potatoes, eating mostly jacket spuds, baked chips (steak fries to you) and potato soup (simply simmered in chicken stock and lightly mashed).

That recipe reminds me of Potatoes Boulangeres (supposedly so named because in France they were given to the local baker to place in a bread oven to cook slowly), which I’d forgotten about (my mum used to do it with chicken breast and onion underneath). I guess I know what I’m having tomorrow!

3. Joshua on December 3, 2012 at 13:38

I had a feeling once about 6 years ago. I vaguely remember it being slightly unpleasant.

• Richard Nikoley on December 3, 2012 at 13:52

Joshua

When I get a feeling, I go here.

Too bad whichever assholes keep taking down the awesome video of the London rooftop rendition of this back in ’69. Until it comes back, we’ll have to content ourselves with these Japanese guys.

4. Amy H. on December 3, 2012 at 14:34

Richard, I am flattered that you mention me in your post. At this very moment (17:27 EST on 03/12/12) I am roasting potatoes in the very fashion I described in order to photograph them for my blog and your own edification. I am serving them with venison meatloaf (courtesy of my husband’s hunting efforts). I find that the old “meat and potatoes” way of eating is not that far off the mark of what a healthy person ought to seek.

• Richard Nikoley on December 3, 2012 at 14:59

Shoot me the link so I can pop it up on my next post and get you some well deserved traffic.

The honor is all mine, dear. I know full well who is in whose debt, here. I’m probably going to do another version of this tonight, provided I can get over the idea of cooking something on my new Himalayan salt block that just came in the mail.

5. http://Angelesstyle.blogspot.com on December 3, 2012 at 14:40

I applaud your individual approach to traial and error diet and exercise for max physical fitness. It is my contention anyone can do anything for a few weeks and be good to go. It takes many cumualitive years of abuse for the body to break down. One blogger said for 2 weeks she ate whatever she felt like and was just fine. Two weeks? I say do not even talk about koowing anything about the body until after age 45. At that time the body starts breaking down and needing adjustments along the way that are interesting to share with others IMO.

6. Mark on December 3, 2012 at 14:54

Why no basting? Is that a taste/texture/technique thing or a hands off thing? I like the idea of not having to baste to reduce the hands on/watching/waiting aspect of this dish.

The downside to not basting is I can’t make juvenile jokes to my wife about trying to become a master baster.

-Mark

• EF on December 3, 2012 at 14:59

I imagine the tops of the potatoes would get nice and crispy with no basting. I may give this potato thing a try.

• Richard Nikoley on December 3, 2012 at 15:04

Mark

Here’s an idea instead. Instead of the basting, you see all that pepper, right? Well, just shake that puppy like you mean it, look over at your wife, give her a wink.

I think basting is an old wives thing that has little to no real effect and only serves to let heat escape from the oven. Same with meat and fowl.

• Mark on December 3, 2012 at 15:14

HAHA! I will become a master pepper grinder instead.

I will try the non-basted version tonight w/diced onion and some U.S. Wellness Liverwurst.

• Richard Nikoley on December 3, 2012 at 15:46

It’ll be more obvious if you use pre-ground in a shaker and the holes are just small enough to require staunch up & down hand & arm movements.

7. Gordon Shannon on December 3, 2012 at 15:11

I haven’t been keeping up with these potato posts, but I read this one. I tried adding potatoes to my diet (daily intake of 1-2 baked) about 3 months ago. Gained weight and strength, but simply fell away from it. Think I’ll give it another shot. I should try your fat bread recipe. I’m Scottish and since I dropped wheat I haven’t been able to eat any chip butties. Cut thick chips out of your potatoes, bake like any other chips (or deep fry if you prefer, as I do), stick on two thick slices of fresh bread, then pour on the ketchup or brown sauce. A+.

8. Gene on December 4, 2012 at 02:39

I’m still doing the milk thing, much the shagrin of the orthodox. So far, no ill effects that I can tell. No noticeable fat gain, though I need to due a percentage test at the gym today to confirm. Pants fit about the same. But, it seems to be helping me with my mass gain. Pretty good way to stuff a few hundred extra calories into the diet.

9. Val on December 4, 2012 at 07:57

Hmmm, I’m not seeing much of a “fan effect”, those just look like straight sliced potatoes to me!

(Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to try it out)

• Richard Nikoley on December 4, 2012 at 08:06

You’re right, Val. After I posted that I was out walking the dogs and I realized that. Brain fart. Hoped nobody would notice. 🙂

Yea, on the first go round I did the fan thingy. I don’t think it makes a lot of diff. You sill have half the potatoes in the stock, half out, so you get the mashy of the soaked combined with the chewiness of the dried roasted.

We did it again last night with a bit of chopped up roast beef and bacon bits. Not quite as good as the elk kielbasa but still good and I have leftovers for today.

10. mike on December 4, 2012 at 08:17

have you done a potato fan yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UKs8zW5rBc

• Richard Nikoley on December 4, 2012 at 08:25

….Trying to come up with a crude reference for that video, if you know what I mean. 🙂

11. Paul Halliday on December 5, 2012 at 13:10

Looking at this, Niko, you’d love a Jannson’s Temptation – potato, anchovy and cream. There were some words, too, I know … I’m a cook … I saw the food.

Swedish, mixed with good old British … try it with Faggots! No, really! There’s a joke and a blog entry in there, I’m sure, but faggots are fatty pork offal balls in a thick gravy. Midlands British, across to Mid-Wales. That goes so well for some reason with cream, fishy potatoes.

• Richard Nikoley on December 5, 2012 at 14:18

Wow, Paul.

Ballsey.

Using faggots and male testicles in the same comment.

(I’ll check it out)

• Richard Nikoley on December 5, 2012 at 14:21
      • Paul Halliday on December 6, 2012 at 01:20

I thought you’d like the idea 🙂

These ‘ere faggots … if you were to make them, I see no reason why breadcrumbs should be at all substituted. Bread is only ever in food like this as filler/bulk. Just get some pork offals, mould into balls and slow-cook. Thick gravy.

12. Pippy on December 5, 2012 at 14:45

Piccata potatoes – I used the leftover sauce from your chicken piccata recipe with some additional chicken stock and plenty of pepper for your version non-basted of Amy’s potato fan recipe. Amazing!

• Richard Nikoley on December 5, 2012 at 15:28

Good plan, Pippy. Unfortunately, I licked my plate and there was no leftover sauce. I’ll try harder, next time.

13. Heather on December 6, 2012 at 15:34

Here’s a weird one. I’ve been rocking the potato hack for almost a week now. In my past, I’ve had rosacea/face flushing/cystic type acne. When I gave up wheat and focused my diet on real food, it all went away, except for a bit of pitted scarring and the lightest hint of pink in my cheeks. Progressively, since eating almost entirely potatoes (half an egg tonight, a bit of chicken yesterday, etc.), my face has been getting more and more warm and red. All the seasonings and sauces I’ve added have been gluten free (and mostly homemade, like broth reductions, and salt). I’ve lost four pounds so far, and overall have felt fantastic, but my face flushing like this is bothering me. Any thoughts?

• Joshua on December 6, 2012 at 16:37

Heather – I don’t know if “Nightshade family” allergy is a real thing or not, but you might want to look into it. Nightshades include peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplant.

• Heather on December 6, 2012 at 18:33

Hey Joshua – I’ve been pretending there isn’t a chance I have a nightshade allergy for years, because I love me some hot peppers, and stuffed peppers are a staple for me, not to mention some form of tomato goes on almost everything we eat in our house. I’m going to switch over to the potato hack but with sweet potatoes instead of white ones for a few days. I’ll report back with what happens.

14. […] the same as this dish, but using a bit of shredded roast beef and bacon […]