Laughing at Cowering Morons Afraid of Gays

Oops. Typo.

1. SteamboatOperator on January 19, 2013 at 19:15

Lol @ dudes reaction at 4:26 when he hears, “the police will get there and take a picture of your dead body”.

• Richard Nikoley on January 19, 2013 at 21:08

Yea, I caught that too. Seconds count, minutes away.

2. cave horse on January 20, 2013 at 14:02

Sigh…

• SteamboatOperator on January 20, 2013 at 18:34

Why the sorrow cave horse? How does Cordains attempted trademarking affect you, what does it change?

3. John on January 21, 2013 at 10:41

This is great. That’s the real problem with the argument for gun control- everyone who supports it thinks it will reduce crime (or at least gun crime), when they have no data to back it up. It sort of reminds me of a business seminar I once heard, where the speaker encouraged business owners to raise prices. He said one of three things would happen- sales would go down, sales would stay the same, or sales would actually increase. He had examples of businesses where each had occurred (and in the business example, a decrease in sales with an increase in price could still lead to an increase in profit). Obviously, gun control laws could have the same three possible results- crime could go down, crime could stay the same, or crime could increase. Then again, maybe gun control advocates do know the facts, and really do want crime to increase.

4. Elenor on January 22, 2013 at 13:17

I had what I think is a rather fruitful “discussion” with a friend of mine (here: http://www.psandman.com/gst2013.htm#guns) after he wrote a guestbook answer to a commenter, which he called: “Using the Sandy Hook shootings to promote gun control.” Dr. Peter Sandman is an honorable and honest man who, when confronted (by me) with his own lack of information, actually (and amazingly!) read the ‘education’ I asked him to (which I got here, from you, Richard), and, while it didn’t change his mind, he did realize some fundamentals that changed his view.

He also provided me (and, I’d hope, other gunnies) with some very sound and useful suggestions for how to ‘pitch’ our side of this fraught issue. The things we think are just *blindingly* self-evident (e.g., that we feel, as I put it: “double-outrage at the shooting: that it happened and that we were prevented by “gun control laws” from trying to stop or mitigate it) ” are in fact pretty much unknown to the gun-grabbers!

I’ve seen that too, in my discussions and arguments with friends and family: I take it as a *given* that they know I am at least AS angry, AS grief-filled, AS horrified, at the murders of these children as they are, but as it turns out — they don’t know or think so! They think we “love our guns” more than we love our (or anyone’s) children! Because THEY can’t imagine effective protection of children, they can’t imagine our pain and anger at the denial of effective protection to sooth their fears.

His site is certainly not a venue for a discussion of gun control, and I would guess (and hope) he wouldn’t try to answer other commenters. However, if you’re having these discussions (and which of us aren’t?) his suggestions in answer to my comments may help. Taking specific steps to make clear that we “share the nation’s horror” before trying to help them understand that more gun laws won’t be the ‘do something, do anything’ that might stop these attacks. You can’t ask someone in the grip of horror about these deaths and feeling panic looking for a way to stop such things to have sympathy for our OWN horror and outrage that we gun-owners were prevented from mitigating this latest horror, and we fear (rightly, oh absolutely rightly!) their desires to do things that will increase the danger rather than lessen it. But — pointing out the need to protect the Constitution does not address their outrage, and until we do, we won’t make headway with them.

p.s., Disclaimer: Yes, I am Peter’s webmaster and have been for 20+ years. I’m also his long-time friend; dismayed at his lack of gun-knowledge but sympathetic toward his desire to do SOMEthing to stop the killing. (I share that desire.) I respect him more than I can say for his ability to stand up and say: “I acknowledge my lack of knowledge, and how it affected my advice.” (He lives five states away or I’d take him shooting. If he’d go.)

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2013 at 13:31