Lothar “Lute” Nikoley is Out of Emergency Surgery

It happened quite suddenly. He tuned 75 on Monday. You’ve seen him in comments and recently in a guest post.

photo
A few years ago

I love that pic because we were standing there soon after dad showed up at our place and neither of us realized. Someone pointed out—as we stood there talking to everyone—that we were accidentally dressed the same. A pic got snapped as I realized, turned my head and laffed.

The day after his birthday he was out for dinner and got stabbing pain he recognized. You see, 25 years ago he had kidney stones so painful that that it knocked him out as my mom was driving over Donner Summit from visiting family in Reno, to home in San Jose. They put him in a bath of water and using sound waves, pulverized the stones while preserving the tissue. You piss out the tiny gravel.

It was God-like.

…So they did their imaging and analysis once they got to the hospital the other night. He had three rather large stones in his kidneys. They scheduled the same op: pulverize them with Led Zeppelin at high volume, under water. Gregorian Chants aren’t going to cut it. That was to be at 1:30pm today.

He was doing rather fine but then got a huge fever, refused medication and food and by 2:30am this morning, he was unresponsive to my mom’s urgings and intervention. She called 911 immediately (…go ahead and put it to me; I expect it, and you know what I mean).

When the paramedics got there, they told my mom he’d just had too much to drink or had ODd on meds. You don’t know my mom. She’s gone head to head with the debt-collection pond scum for 20 years of working for my company, many of them lawyers who are incompetent for any other sort of work. She can not be intimidated by anyone, ever, and especially not when it involves anyone she loves and cares for (she’s a hospital hawk). She yelled at them: “HE REFUSED HIS PAIN MEDS 6 HOURS AGO AND HASN’T HAD A DRINK IN 2 DAYS!”

(Fucking wastes of a fuck.)

When my mom recounted this to me over the phone this morning, my knee-jerk response was: “why should it have mattered? Were they going to refuse him emergency treatment because they thought him drugged out?” Mom: “no, but they would have treated him different; that was unacceptable, and it was confirmed on entry that he had no drugs or alcohol in his system.”

I’m so proud of her it makes me weep to think about it.

So the deal is that of the three stones, one passed from the kidney, proceeded to block the ureter, and caused an infection. Infections always go to the the head of the line because those millions of littler fuckers will overrule all Gods and all prayers in hours.

Long story short: I spoke with the female Indian surgeon (not really relevant—her gender & race—but we still live in ignorant times, so there you go: suck on it, racists and “racially aware”) on the phone shortly before he went in. Told her she’s speaking to his favorite son—that tuns 52 next week. She chuckled. That broke the ice. My main question was how come they weren’t dealing with the stones themselves, and asked: “is this because the infection is now the principle concern?” Yep. Then she explained how they were going to put in a stent.

“Is that to move the stone somewhere, or bypass it so urine can drain past?”

“Bypass it,” she replied.

…I went off on family Facebook friends and friends of friends last night in comments to an update from my mom. I was not measured or kind. I don’t care to “understand.”

I woke up regretting it a bit (this happens), until I learned what had transpired over the interim in wee hours, at which point I doubled down. This probably fits quite in line with some of the comment discussion on my latest post. My mom had posted a simple FB update: “Just to let you all know, Lute is down with kidney stones. We don’t know if treatment is needed, or just wait and see for a few days.” His 75th birthday party was scheduled for this Saturday, now cancelled. This was before the conflagration.

What ensued in comments was a flood of well wishes, which is wonderful, per se. But most didn’t stop at the metaphysically impotent but emotionally important well wishes. Nope, most had to invoke their own scam of metaphysical relevance.

“I’ll pray for you.”

Lots of them. So I went off.

Screen Shot 2013 01 24 at 11 54 05 AM
Dealing with Banal Bullshit

I loath the general failure to make sound distinctions. This is a perfect example. It’s a distinction between the metaphysically impotent and the emotionally powerful, and billions of people on planet Earth conflate that important, 180-degree-distinction every day.

Yes, you can argue that “I’ll pray for you” is just a colloquial expression. Agreed, but not in that morass of absolute literalists I’m dealing with. They actually believe that more prayer equals potential metaphysical intervention. And yes, they are generally well-functioning human beings otherwise. But they also raise kids, and they teach them to be just as ignorant.

All metaphysically impotent, but emotionally powerful well wishes for my dad are welcome and jump-for-joy stuff. Any doctors or urologists with anything to make me aware of are welcome even more, comments or email. Dad is family here. Lute, is family here. He’ll read this for sure and my bits about prayer and such are sure to irritate him, but I think irritation gets the blood pumping, which speeds recovery.

I love you dearly, dad.

1. Grace (Dr.BG) on January 24, 2013 at 14:44

There are different reasons for kidney stone formation but the most common I think are from the dearth of oxalate degrading microbes in our gut (which are wiped out by food/dairy borne antibiotics, Rx antibiotics, chlorinated water, etc) and the epidemic deficiency of zinc and other minerals. These are risk factors for stone formation. Vitamin D deficiency is also and really should not be supplemented without D co-factors like mag, zinc and other trace minerals.

Excellent probiotics to seed the gut effectively and improve our ‘rainforest’ I’ve found are prescript assist (soil based; may help gluten, dairy and oxalate digestion) and FloraMend by Thorne.

Good luck!

• Daniel Kirsner on January 24, 2013 at 21:45

The important one not being mentioned: K2.

K2 helps the body direct the calcium that D3 helps the body horde to places you want it (teeth, bones) and away from places you don’t (kidneys, arteries).

If I had a history of kidney stones I would take at *least* 200mcg of K2 in MK-7 form every day in divided doses.

See:

2. Steven on January 24, 2013 at 13:07

I just had my first experience with a kidney stone in Nov. A week before thanksgiving it hit as I was driving to work. Was able to drive myself to the ER. Still have not figure out that part out yet. ER confirmed. Was there about 4-5 hours they gave me meds and sent me home. By the by Flomax caused some of the worst nightmares I have ever had. Quit that med quick.

Two weeks later still had not passed . Saw the urologist and confirmed that it was still there. Another two weeks went by to get the surgery done. They also placed a stent. So a week went by and had the same procedure to get the stent out.

During that period I could either stand up or lay down. No sitting or driving etc. Then with meds I was basically a zombie.

Come to find out that the reason it was so bad, outside of being a kidney stone , it made a mess on its way out almost shutting off my right kidney. Which if the stone had passed I would have been in the ER in a few weeks any for renal failure anyway.

Not a fun 6+ weeks…

Best to your father.

• Lute Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 19:49

Steven, my first experience with kidney stones 25 years ago, was similar to your first two week, thinking it would pass, it didn’t. The next day I was in the hospital having the stone removed lithotripsy.

• Steven on January 25, 2013 at 10:52

Yes, the overall response I have gotten was “Why did they wait so long?” Good question. I have no idea.

Mine was the laser version. Felt like I went 12 rounds in the ring after that with the stent etc.

Hope there is rescheduled birthday party soon!

3. Jeff on January 24, 2013 at 13:14

Glad they’ve figured out the source of the issue. Hope to see him injecting back in the comments soon! Screw prayer…. You need anything, let me know!

4. Marc on January 24, 2013 at 13:33

Richard,

Wishing your dad a quick and solid recovery!

I do want to say, thought is energy…..

The good thoughts/prayers do have effect somehow. ….

Good luck, stay strong and onward.

Marc

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 15:03

“The good thoughts/prayers do have effect somehow. ….”

It’s true, ON THE RECIPIENT. Essentially, by many people sending best wishes, you put the recipient in the position on not wanting to let everyone down. Attitude counts for a lot. Very _emotionally_ powerful. Even spiritually powerful, but that pertains to the spirit or character of the subject.

It’s just not metaphysical power.

• Marc on January 24, 2013 at 17:19

Hold on…..

“Recipient not wanting to let everyone everyone down”
        As energy it should effect without the recipient knowing too though right?

Metaphysical? That I don’t know about , but basic traveling of particles seems pretty ok to me.

Attitude is king……but isn’t that kind of like really BELIEVING in yourself?

Either way….

Still hope it’s all an easy smooth process for dad. I can tell you it’s a trip watching my dad age….(80) and I’m not always full of love and patience 🙂

Marc

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 17:47

“As energy it should effect without the recipient knowing too though right?”

I don’t do got any of that energy mumbo-jumbo. No, I’m talking about the recipient being aware of all the well wishes. It’s like sports. Individuals and teams often perform better when people are rooting for them. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than wanting to repay the good will with a good show. In the case of medical, it’s probably related to the placebo effect which has been shown to be a real effect.

“Attitude is king……but isn’t that kind of like really BELIEVING in yourself?”

Yep. 2 sides of the same coin.

Thanks for the positive energy. 🙂

• Raynote on January 25, 2013 at 00:20

Richard, about the prayer thing, I vaguely recall having heard about a study (just an observational study) a long time ago, in the 80s or 90s I think it was, about the power of prayers. Nothing to do with God or gods, of course! But apparently, the more people there were praying for a particular person‘s recovery, the better that person fared. It was suggested it had to do with all these minds focused on the same goal. At the time I remember asking myself: can the human mind really be that powerful? To me it’s still a question (I know I am naive). To you, it’s bullshit I guess…
        I forgot to add that even the people who weren’t aware of the prayers fared better.

5. Bill on January 24, 2013 at 13:34

No doubt that you’ve probably done extensive research on kidney stones by now. When your Dad recovers from this, I am sure you’ll be proactive in preventative maintenance. Best wishes.

6. mr Dave on January 24, 2013 at 13:34

I don’t really understand the rage. Isn’t your thing leave people alone, let people live,, chose, think etc. Faith is faith, it really isn’t reasoned into, per se. But ultimately, it is a choice people make about their lives.

People make different choices. why does it bother you so much that some people come to different set of ideas than you?

some people like chicken better than beef, some people will never taste liver. I understand not believing, I don’t understand the rage. Hitchen’s just said thanks when people told him they would pray for him. he said it was nice sentiment. He died an atheist as far as I know. why do you give a shit. To each their own, live and let live.

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 15:10

“Isn’t your thing leave people alone,”

Sure. I didn’t go searching for that. I was actually sitting in my living room. My mom is free to unfriend me on FB any time.

But I never sit still for bullshit. Ever.

“Faith is faith, it really isn’t reasoned into, per se.”

You can’t reason a person out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into. Yea, I get it. That’s why I use brutal insult, instead. You must understand. I’m not afraid of being called a moron and I have no fear of calling moron when I see it. Far as I’m concerned, it makes the world a better place.

“why does it bother you so much that some people come to different set of ideas than you?”

You’re projecting. It doesn’t “bother me.” I delight in calling stupid stupid and I also delight in pointing out that invoking prayer is a cheap attempt at gaining social status. I could just as easily be talking about any kind of dumb social one uppsmapnship people engage in.

I’m not Hitchens and it’s not me in surgery and pain. I imagine I would do the same. I’m sure my dad will too. But he’s my dad and I get to call stupid bullshit as concerns him when I see it. Do you understand that?

• mr Dave on January 24, 2013 at 17:04

I’m not projecting. I think your activating cerebral narcissistic defenses, if you really want to get into that.

I understand your explanation. Its delight not rage. Somehow your written word isn’t picking up the nuance.

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 17:17

“I think your activating cerebral narcissistic defenses, if you really want to get into that.”

I think you’re stringing bullshit together, if you really want to get into that.

• mr Dave on January 24, 2013 at 19:05

Now I think you are projecting.

7. mr Dave on January 24, 2013 at 13:36

BTW, I hope you father recovers. Funny pic.

8. Molly G on January 24, 2013 at 13:43

My prayers for your health, Mr. Lute Nikoley. I’m glad that you are now in recovery and that the situation was no worse than it was.

And my prayers for your son, as well.

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 15:12

I’m sure he’ll appreciate them.

As for me, shove them up your impudent, condescending ass.

9. Molly G on January 24, 2013 at 13:54

Steven, sorry to hear about your kidney stone experience. Were you following a paleo-style diet?

I wonder how many of these stories we don’t hear about. Here’s another guy who had kidney stones and eventually changed his diet from what he had been led to believe by high-fat promoters online.

It’s probably a good idea that Richard is willing to eat more starch these days. Probably good for his father to be aware that it’s “now allowed” 🙂

gunther gatherer
    2012-07-04 07:33
    Alex, I did paleo for 2 years and then VLC for 4 years. I developed dangerously high trigs and had several kidney stones before I stopped. The last stone was 5mm. This means I was pissing my bones down the toilet. The doctor did a CT scan and said I had fatty streaks on my liver. All that, and I was still always 20lbs overweight.

gunther gatherer
    2010-04-03 07:59
    Thanks for this, Stephan. I was dosing with 10k IU per day for a 2 years while eating strictly paleo. Then I started eating quite high fat, a la Peter and Kwasniewski, and wound up in the hospital with 3 kidney stones, 2 in the ureter and 1 still in the kidney duct.

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 15:17

That’s it? One anecdote from a single person?

My dad had kidney stones that put him in the hospital 20 years before he ever heard the word Paleo.

My goshes.

• Lute Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 20:10

That’s a good Richard.

• Steven on January 25, 2013 at 11:32

Yes, I follow a “paleo-style” diet. No, I don’t believe there is vast landscape of “paleo” stories that we are not hearing about. There is to much effort to discredit the concept so if it were there you would know. Though I get the suspicion that the transverse may be true because it does fit a agenda but that is discussion for another time.

I am not aware of any mechanism from the “fat” side that would cause KS. There are a couple of things that I am looking into (under excretion of uric acid, possible overdoing the vitamin D). It also could have been the years prior to the paleo diet. As much coke as used to drink it would be no surprise. Urologist did not even mention fat as a factor. I did get chided for being on what was considered a “high” protein diet. Also salt and sugar or possible even low citric acid came up. I am good on all of those fronts.

I was told I get one KS get out of jail free card. If I get another one then we do the whole 24 analysis to determine make up etc.

My experience with “paleo” frame work at this point has nothing short of positive. My trigs have cut in half and all other bio markers have been positively affected.

The first example that the person was “pissing their bones down the toilet” support please? This does not just ring true. My understanding is common fatty liver is usually a result either alcohol consumption or non alcoholic fatty liver disease which they are seeing in children/adults due to to over consumption of sugar etc. I am sure there are other conditions that result in fatty liver these just stand out in my mind at the moment. Seems like something else is going on here.

Second, example sounds like overdose of vitamin d. Was there follow through on vitamin d levels?

As I see it the “paleo’ gig is merely just a platform. Somethings are going to work for you and something are not. It is up to you to determine what those things are and aren’t. It also greatly depends on where your when decided to get on board. You can only fix so much with any protocol. The guidelines that are out there are merely jumping off points. After that your are responsible for you. They are guides the rest is up to you.

Hishori Ikeda, really good Aikido Instructor, summed it up nicely.

“Aikido works. Yours does not. Don’t confuse the two.”

10. Joshua on January 24, 2013 at 14:18

I think it’s sweet you care about other peoples’ praying and them passing it on to their next generation.

I just give them the side-eye, shake my head quietly and get on with life. Life is too short to attempt to inform people who insist on believing in such superstitions given the resources that are available these days.

Good luck with your dad.

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 15:19

“I just give them the side-eye, shake my head quietly and get on with life.”

99% for me, too. Never say a word.

Lucky yooz. You get the rare privilege to have a front row seat about the 1%.

11. Todd on January 24, 2013 at 15:16

Blasting Led Zeppelin is a multidimensionally good thing it seems. I’m a fan.

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 15:34

You understand I’m joking about that, right? No, they probably use something reminiscent of whale mating calls, but I’ll contend that Led Zep will get the job done faster and with more pleasure.

• Todd on January 24, 2013 at 16:05

Yes, I’m fully aware you were joking, but you precisely summed up my thoughts with everything after, “I’ll contend…”

12. Doug McGuff, MD on January 24, 2013 at 15:54

Richard,

Your comments to Renee are why I like you so much. If everything that ran through my head came out of my mouth we could be twins. I always roll my eyes when the news interviews some idiot redneck that crawls out of the insulation of his trailer after a tornado hits and proclaims that god must have been watching over him. No one ever bothers to ask why the almighty decided to blow his double-wide to smitherines in the first place.

In a similar vein, I was working in the ER and was about to receive a trauma patient who was a front seat passenger in a car that struck a tree at high speed. The paramedics texted me a photo of the wreckage so I could have some idea of the severity of the mechanism. The driver was dead, ejected onto the hood of the car. Visible on the car’s front license plate was the word “saved”. Not at all funny, but no one else even made note of the irony.

Glad to hear your dad was the beneficiary of excellent medical care, but most happy to hear how your mom ripped the paramedics a new asshole (although their cynicism is hard-earned an often correct).

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 17:39

“we could be twins.”

Well, that will depend on whether you agree with me that God surely ought favor the 49ers over the Ravens. 🙂

Seriously, Doug, I’m at the point of putting the 2nd picture here…

…on the sidebar of the blog with a caption along the lines: “Have You Thanked God For Making You So Special Today?”

I want to carry a copy around in my wallet to pull out when I hear such banal bullshit.

And people wring hands over my apparent wringing of hands, ignoring the fact that _I’m Right!_ It IS bullshit, it’s epidemic, and I write. I write. I’m a social critic. I was before Paleo and now I’ve added it back to Paleo. It’s _what _I_ do_.

I like the emails and comments I get from people who get it, especially the young people. So especially the young people. I love, love, love the fact that I am undermining stupid parental, school, government, church bullshit right out in the open, right out from under its purveyors. And because I’m right, it will beat bullshit in the long run. This is a long term social project.

Score on the medical care. While we all bemoan some of the stupid shit that goes on in research, pill pushing, awful dietary advice and so on, I’ve always upheld you “Mechanics of Medicine.”

Thanks for piping in. I understand it’s hard for guys like you to say everything you think like I get to do. I’ve been told on far more than one occasion I’m various people’s outlet, similarly situated. Delighted to be of service.

• Bill on January 25, 2013 at 14:47

I’ve always thought of surgeons and medical professionals as mechanics or engineers with an advantage because they work on organic biological animals. When an engineer works on a project and you fuck up, you’ve fucked up. Whereas a surgeon accidentally makes a mistake, cuts the patient or whatever, the biological creature repairs itself. You don’t get that happening with precision engineering.
        I get sick and tired of brain surgeons etc. being put up on a pedestal as being god like. They can make a mistake and their patient repairs that little error as a biological healing process.
        I’m not saying that I don’t have great respect and admiration for their skills, it’s just that the body can heal and repair itself from a slight mistake, whereas a highly expensive engineered component can be scrapped because of an error by the engineer/mechanic.
        Apologies for the poor explanation in advance.

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2013 at 23:22

I think brain injuries, whether accidental or inflicted, are perceived as rather permanent and debilitating.

I don’t see brain surgery being perceived as god-like that unusual, in fact, I tend to see it as one of the better uses of the term

13. SteamboatOperator on January 24, 2013 at 19:04

“(…go ahead and put it to me; I expect it, and you know what I mean).”

Lmao, awesome. You’re a great sport Richard.

I quit Facebook because of all the religious and supernatural lunacy that seemingly the majority of my friends on there would invoke. Otherwise I would be blasting my family and friends every day, and while hilarious to me, would just cause needless tension when we would get together in person.

• Elenor on January 26, 2013 at 06:54

(In my head,) I *allow* my friends and neighbors to be the …. er … lesser creatures that they are. If their prayers and church missions and brainwas… uh … teaching their children fairy tales helps them get through their hard days, well, some folks pick drugs and drink, some pick god — some pick both. {sigh}

It takes a (high!) level of personal, mental, and emotional strength to face reality as it is (a’ la Nietzsche) and MOST humans do not have that strength. (Yes, I do sometimes envy the fairy-tale believers the level of comfort (and community) they get from their delusions. How lovely it would be to just relax and “let god” (ha.) fix things up. But since “he” broke them in the first place (if one looks behind the fairy tales), why would I think “he” could or would fix them?!)

As in dealing with children and their monster under the bed… I do NOT expect ‘adult knowledge’ of most humans, cause they aren’t adults! I am sympathetic to those so ‘handicapped,’ not angry at them. Seeing them like a child coming up with a wildflower as a gift, I don’t smack down a person offering me prayers (tempting though it may be {eye roll}); but thank them for the limited offering they are capable of. I do not expect more than they are capable of. And whacking them won’t make them more capable.

(Ah Richard, do I read the anger of a disillusioned idealist? I think they WOULD be/do better if only they could, but they can’t. If you don’t expect “miracles” of them, you won’t be disappointed. They don’t have it in them to be more.)

14. Galina L on January 24, 2013 at 19:25

I wish the best to your dad and mom.

15. Lute Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 20:34

Thank you for the post Richard. And thanks for all the well wishes, and yes prayers. Lotsa time to go through all the post on FTA & FB. been out of commission for a couple of days. They have WI-FI at this hospital.

• Elenor on January 26, 2013 at 06:57

“They have WI-FI at this hospital.”

I LOVE the modern world!

So glad you’re getting through this, Lute! (I did it myself last year… still payin’ off the staggering bills cause of no insurance…) Hang in there! (No prayers from me — but lots of warm good thoughts! Rupert Sheldrake and his morphogenetic fields — maybe he’s on to something!

16. CatherineakaCate on January 24, 2013 at 22:48

Best Wishes Lute ! ( I am used to saying God Speid…..to The Marines, but I am extremely adaptive)

Yup about 50% of medicine is solid–ain’t it fun to navigate??!!!

Great post Grace, thanks. Gonna get some FloraMend ( great blog btw )

Richard, I thank God I am graced with taking what I want and the rest—well, it doesn’t even bother me a

tad, sort of like your language.

Just came from the Syrian border of Jordan and I am just a tolerant girl, I guess. When I read *a certain

other blog* about links and such, I observe the fact my world never seems small and constricted, relative

to those humans that experience outrage over small things, and in these uneventful moments, I feel

truly superior. 😉

Whoa, Jaminet just very graciously gave her the *what-fer*

As-salam alaykum, people!

• Richard Nikoley on January 24, 2013 at 23:14

I heard about Paul. I guess that kinda puts the whole thing in a new perspective. I can’t think of anyone nicer or more forthright than him.

• CatherineakaCate on January 25, 2013 at 00:04

Exactly how I felt.

Free association begins at home *as you would say*

17. Jesrad on January 24, 2013 at 23:17

Well, I’ll not pray for his recovery but instead *expect* it, reasoning that the docs know how to help your dad fight off an infection – they demonstrated their competence against the stones already. Kudos to your mom straightening out the paramedics!

18. Rob on January 24, 2013 at 23:28

Good luck, Richard. I’m especially glad to see you have folks like Grace & Doug McGuff on your side.

It’s hard not to cry when I read about your mom fighting for your dad. A willingness to fight is crucial when engaging any establishment, medical or otherwise.

Several years ago, I had a girlfriend visiting from England fall ill with horrible abdominal pains. This was in West L.A., and I had the number of a first-class internist who was a few blocks away. It was 4:45pm; his office closed at 5pm, and his secretary said he was unwilling to wait for us to get there.

That he was such a fucking asshole saved her life. I was forced to call 911 and have the paramedics come out. When they arrived, they were even BIGGER assholes, questioning me again and again if I really wanted her to take a very expensive ambulance ride for a tummy ache.

Having dealt with asshole alpha muscleheads in Junior High, the answer was yes, you WILL evacuate her, and I WILL pay your fucking invoice.

I made sure they took her to the best hospital on the Westside. Even then, I was grilled by the doc about STD’s. It was all I could do not to scream at the MOTHERFUCKER, “It’s NOT CHLAMYDIA, YOU SNICKERING PIECE OF SHIT. SOMETHING’S WRONG!”

So he gave her a painkiller that was especially good at surpressing abdominal pain. But then she started to complain about chest pains. So they wasted a ton of time investigating her chest pains, NOT REALIZING THAT THEY HAD SURPRESSED THE ABDOMINAL PAINS THAT THEY NEEDED TO BE INVESTIGATING.

ASSHOLES. FUCKING ASSHOLES. NO DISRESPECT TO DOUG McGUFF, BUT YOU HAVE TO ASSUME THAT THEY ARE *ASSHOLES*, and ACT ACCORDINGLY.

Anyway, after aggressively staying on the FUCKING CASE of these ASSHOLES, they finally discovered that she had a RUPTURED OVARY and was in the process of BLEEDING TO DEATH INTERNALLY.

So they FINALLY fixed it, saving her life.

Whereupon the ASSHOLE SURGEON (the one who had accused her of being an STD-ridden whore, remember?) referred me to a COLLECTION AGENCY for his FIVE FIGURE BILL FOR SURGICAL SERVICES for which he had ALREADY BEEN PAID IN FULL FOR by her travel insurance company.

SCUM! ASSHOLES! ROGUES and MOTHERFUCKERS!

GOD BLESS your Mom, and GOD BLESS anyone who FIGHTS LIKE HELL when they enter the HELL that is AMERICAN MEDICAL CARE.

By the way, when you said, ” She called 911 immediately (…go ahead and put it to me; I expect it, and you know what I mean)”…

I would never call you out on this — there are no atheists in foxholes — but I would ask that you hesitate a BIT when you compose your next paean to anarchism.

I am no lover of establishments, particularly not the medical one — and I (obviously) think calling 911 is itself opening a can of worms — but your dad at least has a SHOT, thanks to your mom, and thanks to you calling in every favor you can.

I can’t believe anarchy is better than that. No fucking way.

It’s still a fucking nightmare tangling with the establishment. But there’s at least a SHOT, if you’re smart, aggressive and resourceful.

Good luck to you, Richard. I know you love your Dad. I loved mine, and I wish you more time with him.

19. Paul d on January 24, 2013 at 23:55

Hope the recovery is speedy big fella.

Richard,

I am interested in why you are so willing to discount anything metaphysical. The thing is, the fact that religion sucks and has a myriad of problems is not in dispute from me.

If you use the right style of meditation and concentration you can leave the body and travel into the light. Into bliss. NDE experiences speak to the same exact phenomena. Shamanic journeys vis a vis peyote place people in altered states of consciousness that speak to more than material reality.

You think it is all crap. I think you have not actually investigated anything metaphysical with great depth or dedication.

Paul

20. Gordon Shannon on January 25, 2013 at 06:56

Glad to hear you’re coming through this Lute.

Richard – This reminds me of something I read, either here or on the ARI site, a few years back. It basically admonished Christians for failing to recognize the moral value of a Thanksgiving dinner provided by *people* rather than God. At Thanksgiving, those who provide should be thanked and rewarded, not “God”. Was an interesting account of how belief in God detracts from genuine moral interaction.

It’s analogous to the case of doctors. It perhaps contributes to the *expectation* that doctors have a role to play, and thus labor to exploit for socialist ends, rather than being moral agents engaged in an individual moral practice. We cease morally trading with them, and instead dehumanize them. All very sad, and what’s sadder is the extent to which this ‘moral vacuum’ penetrates the lives of most people, even those who aren’t Christian. The very way that many human acts are portrayed and taught fails to do justice to their moral content – it’s difficult for people to recognize *human* moral interaction as such, and its weight in their life.

• Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2013 at 07:22

Gordon

Last Thanksgiving at the parents in law, I was last to speak right before dinner, after the prayer and whatnot. I began by thanking the family of my bro-in-law up from Peru who prepared the meal. Then I went around the table thanking each person in turn for something or other about them Im thankful to _them_ for being.

It was well received.

21. Richard Nikoley on January 25, 2013 at 14:22

Doug:

New, emergent and serious development. Email out to you if you get it. We have two brothers and mom on scene, and we’re educating ourselves.

He still feels fine.

22. AminoKing on January 26, 2013 at 02:10

“I always know what the fuck I am doing. Every second of every day.”

Too bad your memory is too selective to remember your Paleo War declaration or your piss poor trading ability or even the fact that you couldn’t even seem to sell your business for a profit… If that’s what happens when you know what you’re doing then I’d hate to fucking see what happens when you don’t.

You have the sort of confidence I see often in people who smoke to much pot.

23. AminoKing on January 26, 2013 at 02:16

Sorry my mistake. I didn’t read your post properly. I probably won’t fuck off but I’ll pay more attention in the future….

• AminoKing on January 26, 2013 at 02:20

Just re-read your post and then mine. Laf! Boy was I wrong. Apologies. I’d delete it if I could. Laf!

24. […] recently ranted about friends & family praying for my dad when he nearly died of a septic infection last weekend, brought on by a kidney stone lodged in his […]