Deciding For Yourself: 13 Pretty Good Low Carb Resources

To say that I’ve grown weary of endless debates and criticisms of various approaches within a whole, real food approach to diet is an understatement. I’ve always been about promoting anything that’s “Pretty Good,” and not about slamming everything that may have errors, some “bad science,” too much marketing—you name it. The problem with the latter is that it becomes only and exclusively about tearing down the work and accomplishments of others—which really helps no one when such accomplishments do tend to help people.

…It becomes an exercise in discounting the real health improvements others have achieved and makes it less likely that still others will find similar benefits because the resource now operates under a cloud of distrust or derision.

If you’re one who likes to promote and celebrate the life saving work of others, sure, do check things out, verify it’s helping people, and make sure there’s enough good going on to say: “check it out.” If, on the other hand, you want to make it about tearing down the work of others, that’s easy as shit. Click on any link, find something to disagree with, tear into them. Wash, rinse & repeat. The few dozen or hundred folks who go for that sort of thing exclusively will thank you.

For the record, I’m not anti low-carb, though I do believe calories count and also, it’s probably going to be hard to reach your goals by ladling added fat on everything you eat. In my own experience, going natural on the fat (reasonable amounts to cook with, no adding fat—or very little), more modest protein portions—usually but not always—and more starches—sometimes but not always—is working. But this isn’t about me. On average, I’d say I’m still LC-to-MC if you averaged out my carbs over a week, but some days might be virtual ZC, and some days, HC. I believe in mixing things up.

So in the same spirit as my PGP post (Pretty Good Paleo), trusting YOU to decide what works and not assuming you’re a dumbass who needs a post every few days about what’s wrong with everyone else in the world, I give you 13 low-carb resources to check out and see which one(s) might give you an insight or tidbit here and there to manage your own health and weight loss.

So please, check each one out, scan through, take in a post or two or three, and see which ones you might want to revisit regularly or from time to time. Above all, relax, and…BREATHE.

1. Dr. Andreas Eenfeldthttp://www.dietdoctor.com
  2. Tom Naughtonhttp://www.fathead-movie.com
  3. Dr. John Briffahttp://www.drbriffa.com
  4. Dr. Jonny Bowdenhttp://jonnybowdenblog.com
  5. Jimmy Moorehttp://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com
  6. Laura Dolsonhttp://lowcarbdiets.about.com
  7. CarbSmarthttp://www.carbsmart.com
  8. Jamie Van Eaton
  9. Dr. Peter Attiahttp://eatingacademy.com
  10. Danny Albers
  11. Dr. Colin Champhttp://www.cavemandoctor.com
  12. Dr. Jay Wortmanhttp://www.drjaywortman.com
  13. Dr. Jeffry Gerberhttp://denversdietdoctor.com

Who couldn’t find something to disagree with at each of those links? And how many of them couldn’t find something to disagree with here? However:

1. I don’t assume you’re a moron, ignorant, or especially in need of blindness by science ad nausium.
  2. I do assume that you’re none of those things (you’re here, not out loading a supermarket cart full of crap), generally competent to not take anything as paleo or LC gospel, try stuff, adjust.
  3. I believe that all of those people have a sincere desire to help you and others and in that endeavor, evolve their thinking and approaches over time so as to increase the good accurate stuff while decreasing the errors and bad stuff.
  4. I believe that for whatever errors or inaccurate information, the good and accurate information far outweighs, and that as such, in my judgment, they are net benefactors of the overweight, obese and health challenged. Conversely, those who add nothing but to tear down others are net liabilities; net disvalues to everyone. That is, were they to not exist at all, most people would be better off.
  5. Building and creating values is never ultimately done by tearing down. Tearing down is just tearing down; it’s value destruction, an easy fake for the actual hard work involved in creating values for others and society. Values are not created by tearing down a few errors, destroying the good along with it—you’re left with errors still, less values, less potential for good. Errors are corrected by honestly evaluating the good and continuously improving it over time, leaving less and less room for error.

Keep up  and improve the good, best parts of your work, laddies & gentleman. You are a life saving and enhancing value to many out there—doubtless many hundreds and thousands you don’t even know about.

1. Jamie on February 20, 2013 at 09:57

Thanks so much for including me, Richard. I appreciate it.

I, too, believe calories count, that no one approach works for everyone, and that you have to find what works for you. For me, it’s keto eating, eliminating the food that I’m allergic/intolerant to, and bacon. Especially bacon.

I will say the added fat makes me eat less. I’ve lost almost 90 pounds since the end of August. That’s not to say high fat (or even keto) is for everyone. It depends on the person, his/her needs, and what they find fills them up and keeps them from sporking someone in the face. Life is short to be hungry and bitchy. And lethal with a spork.

Thanks again. Love your site.

In bacon,
    Jamie

2. Joshua on February 20, 2013 at 10:53

What?! No woo?!

3. Helene on February 20, 2013 at 13:16

You forgot to include Dana Carpendar. Her cook books are awesome as is her web site. ” Hold The Toast” I follow her on FB

• Richard Nikoley on February 20, 2013 at 13:28

I didn’t forget, I had a limit of 13. My choice. Anyone is free to pop up their favorites should they wish.

4. Ash Simmonds on February 20, 2013 at 18:30

Kurt Harris ( ) is probably top of my list. It’s only “low carb” because it avoids eating neolithic processed crap.

I’m macronutrient agnostic overall, people think I’m carbaphobic because I’m 90% carnivore and shun the breads and pastries and desserts and pastas etc. It’s not that I think carbs are evil, it’s just that nearly all sources of carbs in our convenient lives is utter shit.

My other go-to for a good concise explanation of how to live well is Gnolls’ “Eat Like A Predator, Not Like Prey”: http://www.gnolls.org/1141/eat-like-a-predator-not-like-prey-paleo-in-six-easy-steps-a-motivational-guide/

• Richard Nikoley on February 20, 2013 at 20:03

No doubt. Just and JS are awesome resources from just about any perspective.

5. Alex on February 20, 2013 at 21:04

If you were to do a similar list, focusing on higher carb proponents, what might that look like?

• Richard Nikoley on February 20, 2013 at 23:46

Some paleo folks, I suppose. Good point.

• Rhys on February 21, 2013 at 00:17

It would have a sweet pic of me choking down 3 pounds of potatoes and a big salmon filet. Insulin causes obesity. Nah, insulin makes me STRONGER!

• Danny J Albers on February 24, 2013 at 06:47

Saying insulin causes obesity is like saying bullets cause holes in people. There is a lot more context that simply the presence or absence of insulin. However once you have messed up that otherwise nicely regulated system, insulin control is certainly a “part of any fix”. Even by eating potatoes over Wonderbread you have exerted some control over your insulin. The same can be said about nutrient timing. Many who “spike their insulin” after a heavy workout then bander about claiming insulin does not cause fat gain are avoiding spiking their insulin at other times of the day, like right before bed for example, precisely because they are aware chronically high insulin levels can indeed cause fat gain.

Nutrient timing to maximally support mTor, selectively chosing carb sources that are natural, are indeed two forms of insulin control and reduction.

The idea that insulin is “bad or good” is simplification beyond practical application.

6. […] like my post yesterday about deciding for yourself, and 13 Low Carb Resources was well received. Thanks for all the Facebook […]

7. Galina L. on February 22, 2013 at 06:33

I was trying to keep open minds for a while, but I my experience with food pulls me steadily into the low-carb Hezbollah direction. I was surprised not to find the Hyperlipid blog among your list and ,probably, the Protein power is strangely absent too (however Dr.Eades posts too infrequently nowadays) , but I found some blogs I didn’t check out before.
    Besides personal health reasons to eat a LC food, I think that keeping balance could be a hard exercise for many. It is more easy to choose a low-carb vegetable as a side dish and put there liberal amount of butter than to eat starches and be careful with the amount of your fat.

• Dr. Curmudgon Gee on February 24, 2013 at 14:11

yes, hyperlipid.

also Lucas Tafur

gnolls.org (although JS is more like MLC)

regards,

8. Danny J Albers on February 24, 2013 at 06:16

Hey Richard thank you for the recommendation it was kind of flattering to be part of the top 10.

I agree with your position on things and people have to figure it out for themselves.

In particular they need to learn and recognize provocation and fear based marketing designed to frighten them away from a dietary/medical intervention that could provide them the most benefit especially in those crucial few months of weight loss.

I have semi-retired from writing now, in that I try to do one really good and solid article a month. I have decided at some point that paleo and low carb have gone from bossom buddies to some stupid blood fued and I fired my shots and made my points and am now simply rehashing what I may have said before.

This greatly reduced writing volume has me going through an exercise similar to your own, what is it that really helps people? What can my own examinations bring to light that can really help someone “stuck” in this morass of confusing, conflicting advice that paleo/primal has become.

I have an article in the works right now which will kick off that new spirit and bring a few things to light that will truly help an obese or formerly obese person (like myself once 375lbs) understand physiologically how their challenges in weight loss differ from that 44 year old with 30 pounds to lose.

Richard I appreciate how you have stepped back from the drama and back to just “calling it like it is” as that has long been my own (even though you are far more entertaining about it). My difficulty sometimes has come in not being emotionally attached to my message as I have seen the range of low carb options help people, and also seen them misapplied to both the dieter and the detriment of the community as the N=1 results are shared in the paleosphere as yet some sort of proof that “teh low carb sucketh”

The shoe that fits one pinches another, no recipe for living fits all persons ~ Carl Jung

Regards

9. William L. Wilson, M.D. on February 23, 2013 at 15:48

After treating thousands of patients I agree that there is no “one size fits all” when it comes to diet. Each of us has a unique genetic makeup and hereditary background that plays a role in how we respond to various foods. I simply try to move my patients in a more positive direction. If a change is working for them, they will feel the difference.

Personally, I tend to favor a Paleo “lite” diet—lowish on the carbs (mostly “safe” carbs), moderate protein and somewhat high in healthy fats. Because I measure body composition, I see a lot of normal weight folks and even thin people with excessive body fat and metabolic problems. They tend to under-eat but when they do eat they eat junk and processed foods. I don’t worry too much about calories. If you eat a diet of healthy, whole foods (no sugar or HFCS, fewer grains), then I don’t think calories are the main issue. When it comes to diet, you need to feel your own way and listen to your body.

10. Andreas Eenfeldt on February 24, 2013 at 01:49

Hi Richard!

Nice post. If only more people realized that much of the debate about how many grams of carbs to include in their Paleo diet is about DETAILS and that different people tolerate different amounts of carbs anyway.

The focus should be on the massive problems with the Western diet, full of sugar and processed crap carbs. If everyone changed to eating Paleoish it would be a huge improvement whether it was low carb or medium carb, Primal or Atkins or South Beach or Dukan or Paleo Solution or low fructose/high fiber á la Lustig or any other variation of eating real food.

11. […] Free the Animal: 13 Pretty Good Low Carb Resources […]

12. Brandon Rohrig on February 24, 2013 at 07:20

Jeff Volek and Steve Phinney are also excellent!

13. Jeffry Gerber, MD on February 24, 2013 at 09:17

Richard – Thanks for the mention. My focus has always been to redefine healthy nutrition for all. It would be refreshing if there was universal consensus that defines a basic construct of better nutrition. In my setting, as a family doctor, I deal with ‘Metabolically Sick Cavemen and Cavewomen’. In this setting we find that Ketogenic deits restore health – Jeff Gerber, MD

14. NS on February 24, 2013 at 15:40

Your article is welcome and reasonable….but like with everything else degrees of accuracy matter. Degrees are in fact all that we have. For some of us, even ketogenic diets are useless without calorie restriction and exercise. Your list includes, laughably, Jimmy Moore (epiotme of irresponsibility/insincerity) yet fails to mention eminentally responsible, sincere, intelligent people like Chris Kresser, Paul Jaminet, and Jenny Ruhl, to name a few. While insulin is always critical, calories are just as critical. And while I’m not a fan of Carbsane’s combative, even insulting style, her contributions are enormous. The level of the debate is so elevated because of those who “tear down” precisely because that is how truths are formed. Is that not as Hegel pointed to us the purpose of argument, history? Or is it all just an ego-fest?

Inflammation as most Lcers know is huge. But very few people talk about the real root causes of inflammation, the most depressing of which are stealth viral infections. 5% of the human population “officially” suffers from ME/CFS, and this doesn’t include Lyme, GWS, PTSD, Autism, Lupus, MS, ALS, etc…. As science progresses, it is being realized more and more that most degenerative diseases have causal infectious agents. In the next two decades, those “unseen” pathogens will be felt by almost every living human being – and perhaps those of other species too – and the diabesity epidemic we see today will explode to much, much greater and unimaginable degrees, IRRESPECTIVE of diet. Infections are after all…..infectious.

• Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2013 at 15:54

I’ve many times mentioned Chris Kresser (long time fan and friend—we were preparing our presentations in the same room at AHS12), and especially, Paul (in fact a couple of times recently).

This list was intended to be a list of those who sincerely advocate for an LC style for most. It’s intended to be something where you can take what works and leave the rest. It was not intended to be all inclusive of anything.

I’m not going to comment on the value of people who do nothing but tear down values others have created, never creating anything of original value themselves.

• Galina L. on February 24, 2013 at 19:00

Come on, expecting Richard to choose Carbsane blog among top LC resources! Evelyn doesn’t recommend LCarbing as a primer approach to a diet, except as a short-term diet intervention. I remember her commenting that he agreed the most with PHD . Paul Jaminet is not a LCarber as well, if I remember it right, his advice is – eat up to one lb of “safe starches” a day – way too much for a person who is sensitive to carbs.

• Galina L. on February 24, 2013 at 19:01

Sorry, mistake “she agreed”, not “he agreed”

• Galina L. on February 24, 2013 at 20:26

About inflammation. A lot of LCarbers testify about an improved immunity and a big improvement in allergies. I have not be able to catch a seasonal flue or in need of medicine for yeast infection or a bladder bacterial infection. Once in 5 years I got a flue-like symptoms for 3 days after I was jet-lagged, it didn’t require any medication. All that is recorded in my medical history, together with the fact that I don’t need asthma medications any longer.

• NS on February 25, 2013 at 02:08

Hi Galina,

I’m actually fond of your writings, generally. I have seen your comments on different LC blogs and they are usually quite reasonable. Also, I have similar struggles to you and eat mostly only once a day, LC, and it has been working, slowly, for me. How on earth however you deduce from my writings that I “expect Richard to choose Carbsane as a top LC blog” is beyond me. Perhaps because English is not your first language, you were confused. It’s OK. I understand. I’ve lived for a good numbers of years in non-speaking-English speaking countries and know what language barriers produce in terms of mis-communication.

While you may think Evelyn is not LC, and while I definitely agree that she is not typical LC, she is still nevertheless and in fact LC in her own way and is well aware of its strong points – and its weak points, and, IMO, that what makes her so compelling to read. Truth is much more important than any of the personalities involved. We should all be ready to shed egos for its sake, for its develpment.

As far as inflammation goes, Paleo and LC are critically significant and helpful but they are not enough. They are not panaceas. We’ve already had this discussion before on dietdoctor’s blog. What needs to happen is a huge re-thinking on the part of the entire scientific community and governments about the real root causes of most diseases – pathogens – and how to fight them with new interventions. In the meantime, thoudands are getting infected everyday and by 2025, the whole world will have some form of ME/CFS. Did you know that after having CFS for a decade for example people cannot lose weight even on 600 calorie a day diets?? Would you want to live like that or have any of your loved ones living like that for the rest of thir lives? That is the level of misery and sickness that we are deaing with. If you are lucky enough to escape it, I have news for you….your children…..if you have any, won’t.

Here are just a few links for you to think about:

• Galina L. on February 25, 2013 at 07:31

@NS,
      Thank you for your kind words. As I understand, in comments on that blog-post people discuss top LC places to go , which could be possible contenders/addition to ones Richards mentioned already. I thought that you would consider the Carbsane blog a reasonable addition to the ones Richard listed, and I disagreed. BTW, I am not Evelyn’s enemy at all, I feel no negative pre-jagement toward her ,and I am well familiar with her blog. While she is aware of LC benefits and limits her carbs consumption to some extent, her blog attracts mostly people who got disappointed in a LC eating and turned to other ways to control their weight. I don’t think that everyone should follow the same diet, but for a person who benefits from a LC diet approach reading about how people are happy with their WW experience , how horrible somebody feels while limiting carbs, that even vegetarianism may be an answer for somebody (Evelyn herself does not promote a vegetarianism), could be not what such person is looking for. The truth is there is nothing simple in a weight-loss, it is possible to do LCarbing in a wrong way, and different people need different levels of carbs restriction. I can’t relate to the negative LC experience at all, reading about such testimonials may be educational, but there is not much I can get from it.

I share your concern about the connection between the immune system dysfunctions and other health problems. I see it as a chicken-egg type of situation. Poor metabolic health (and it is also affected in turn by stress, seasons change, quality of sleep, hormones levels) creates more beneficial environment for infections and viruses, and also worsens one’s mental health, microbial and viral infections often disproportionally activate immune system response, and it makes metabolic system even more disregulated. I am prone to allergies myself (as well as my husband and son), and during my life-time I accumulated a lot of observations about such connections. For example, asthma always gets worse after a flue, it is very easy to gain weight during asthma worsening (even if steroid-containing inhalers are not in use), weight gain worsens asthma and make a person more susceptible to viral and microbial infections. I found that LCarbing, especially ketosis, brakes such pathological circle . Not long time ago people had an interesting discussion it on the Wooo’s blog after she posted “Immune system activation and chronic illness”.

15. NS on February 24, 2013 at 16:16

Sincere thanks for the quick reply. My apologies….I am new to your blog and was not aware of your appreciation of Chris and Paul. I don’t think however your last paragraph is fair but moreover I think you are doing a disservice to yourself and to the movement as a whole to ignore, dismiss, or minimize the value of some of the more critical LC voices.

“The successful warrior will learn to how to love his enemies and hate his friends.” – Sun Tsu

“The Hermit will doubt whether behind every one of his caves, there is not another deeper one, richer in meaning, depth, and more comprehensive in its truth than the first, and then beyond the second yet still another deeper and more comprhensive one than the one before it which shakes its core grounds, which shakes even the idea of ‘grounds.’ “- Nietzsche

• Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2013 at 17:30

Like you say, you’re new. That’s cool, but I know what I’m doing. I have no problem promoting critique and constructive criticism of low carb. I do and have done.

And, I make clear distinctions. I have never yet seen a true value from that one you mentioned. Not one. The world would be better off if she was suddenly gone. I’m dead searious. In the meantime, I will continue to critique LC as well as promote others who do, within the framework of being a general value for helping others help themselves.

• Danny J Albers on February 26, 2013 at 10:45

Quoting Sun Tsu and others aside when did we go from a community of complimentary accepting views and interventions, all based on real food, to slandering and warring with eachother. This shift I realised I was caught in and one reason I basically decided it was time to retire the daily pen. The urge to write daily (actually inspired by Richard here) superceded my commen sense and ability to step back and assess.

Some of the sites you are speaking of spend a great deal of their energy frightening people away from a low carb life that could benefit those same people. I have seen epileptics and cancer patients shy away from ketogenic diets that could change their lives (or save them) because Paul is telling people very low carb diets can cause scurvy or hypothyroidism.

We need to step back and look and the breadth AND width of the RANGE of successful human diets, and a ketogenic diet is one of the proven ones. My ancestors, especially the hunters, would spend up to 8 months a year on a predominantly ketogenic diet and this was only 300 hundred years ago before the Hudson’s Bay Company demaned fruit be added to pemmican before they would buy it.

We are surrounded by evidence of two things, the first that a successful human diet found in ancient history AND modern paleolithic societies (since paleolithic is actually a societal developmental state and not some set of years as its usually defined) thrived on a “local” diet of “real food” and that “these people are not damaged specimens from generations of eating fake food”. Comparisons to Kitava or the Inuit are not even valid by that aknowledgement.

We need to look at diets like medical interventions, and as treatments. A person who is 375 pounds as I was, is sick. They are broken and damaged and ravaged and sometimes extreme results require what some see as extreme interventions. Giving up carbs may seem extreme to some, and it did to me once, that is until I spent 4 months zero carb including running half a marathon off road fasted. After that I was pretty convinced I had never felt better in my life.

Someone who has never done any real work in their life may well need the targetted refined protein of a whey isolate to get even modest results. We have become a group of people who point a finger at that and say “Evil!”. And we can extend that mindset to others.

I have had my wars with the safe starch crowd and still poke some fun, but the bottom line is this in that I envy them. It must be very VERY awesome to eat potatoes all day long, as much as you want, and be able to exercise it off with some crossfit and not damage yourself because you had avoided damage earlier in life.

After years of Muay Thai, conditioning work and running, including teaching it and even working as a strength and conditioning coach, that has not been my own experience. I am facing different challenges then someone who had only 50 pounds to lose. I come from a totall different place. If you went back to 10,000 BC you would likely not find a person on the entire planet that was in my sorry metabolic state that I was in at 36. So when I see people going out of their way to frighten people who are like “I was” away from something I know will help them, I get a little upset, or I did. Now I just feel frustrated. Fact is low carb will never be fully accepted as the awesome intervention and even long term game plan that it is, because most people are not so broken that they require it.

Just my 2 cents

• NS on February 27, 2013 at 07:19

I don’t agree with some of your statements but I am deeply sympathetic to your metabolic plight…..I am going through the same thing. If you have a look at some of the links I posted above, you’ll see that there is a slow but growing recognition that obesity is linked to viral agents. Because of my own experiences….this is what I believe. Some of my relatives have the same weight challenges as me despite, like me, eating LC and LCalorie and intensive exercise. Something is wrong here and soon everyone on the planet will feel these effects. Those pathogens are by their DNA nature, infectious. I think we are all on the Titanic so to speak and there is no way back……I eat appx. 5-700 calories a day and still cannot lose weight. With intenive cardio, I can lose…..but very slowly. I dare ANYONE to eat like me for a month and see how they feel. I have accepted that I have to do this for the rest of my life, while still obese……soon this misery will be coming to everyone. The meteoric pandemic rise of obesity is NOT only lifestyle related…..it is a contagious disease. But, again, I don’t think there is a solution. We are all fucked.

• Joshua on February 27, 2013 at 09:02

NS, There are a lot of unverified and unfalsifiable claims in the links you’ve posted. Of course I don’t KNOW that your hypothesis is incorrect, but I find it extremely unlikely pathogens are the primary cause of widespread obesity given the other factors in play, such as

– Increased availability of processed sugar and carbohydrates
      – Increased affluence
      – Sedentary society
      – A health care system that does not hold people responsible for their personal health choices
      – A government that has recommended dietary guidelines and forced others that have little to no basis in reality

Pleas re-think the talk of a “meteoric pandemic rise of obesity” – most of the talk about that is put out there by people who profit from your fear.

As for 500-700 calories per day, that will majorly fuck up your metabolism. I am not at all surprised that you are not losing weight on that much food. I would highly recommend figuring out what the maintenance calories is for your height/weight/age (example calculator and eat that number of calories in the form of whole real foods for 6 months. Your weight will go up in the short term, but after your metabolism readjusts, you will be able to set a reasonable deficit (10%-20%) from that and lose from there. Recalculate every 10 lbs, and you’re good to go. Here’s some more info in the form of video: http://www.youtube.com/user/EatMore2WeighLess?feature=guide

I also recommend the movie fat-head

• Richard Nikoley on February 27, 2013 at 11:11

Joshua:

Good job. I wanted to respond but refrained because it’s very difficult to even suggest to someone eating so little that eating so little might acually be contributing to the problem (yes, Matt Stone is big on this—I just don’t think you need to pig out like he (or at least used to) recommend).

It seems intuitive to me that if you treat your body as though you are starving—which 500-700 calories per day of anything is—then it’s going to behave as though you are starving and guard fat like crazy.

2 ways to overcome it:

1. Really starve no shit. If you eat nothing but drink water, you will lose weight, fast. 100% guaranteed. May not be safe for very long but a few days to a week might be worth a go.

2. Do as Joshua suggests and get your body used to eating a full daily metabolic requirement and don’t freak out at initial weight gain.

16. Laura Dolson on February 26, 2013 at 17:38

Richard, thanks so much for including me on your list! I feel all warm and fuzzy – truly! I am not someone who believes that low-carb (or even reduced-carb) is the way to go for everyone, but it is a Godsend for many. My goal is to inform and to help those people make the transition to this way of eating. In my personal eating, I lean very strongly towards LC Paleo (I’ve never been sure how paleo folks feel about foods like flax seeds).

Again, thanks!!!

17. NS on February 27, 2013 at 23:22

To Joshua and Richard,

First, thank you for taking the time to respond. I didn’t write what I did to seek help necessarily. I don’t believe actually that life-style changes alone in my case can be of use any further but I appreciate your feedback and sincerity. I especially appreciate Richard’s sensitivity of what it’s like to live like this. No one understands….and no one CAN understand until they go through it themselves. In fact, fasting is already part of my regimen….it is critical for the sake of at least not gaining further.

I understand your skepticism Joshua but in fact you are wrong…..if you are really interested in the truth, visit the links above again and spend some time on ME/CFS forums to see for yourself the misery that is going on. In fact, almost all doctors are skeptical, like you, (but they too are wrong) and that is why included in top three causes of death for ME/CFS is suicide. Imagine that your sick everyday, eat so little, are obese, have flu-like symptoms among hundreds of others……but still no doctors listen to you, nothing you do works……the misery/frustration sets in pretty quickly. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemies. And while no doubt the lifestyle items you mentioned above absolutely have played a role in the obesity problem, what I have been trying to say is not that lifestyle is not important…..but that it is NOT the only issue….and it may in fact even be – in comparison – and depending on the person – a minor cause. But the truth is whether you choose to believe what I write or not – like the thousands of skeptical doctors who meet CFS patients everyday – it is irrelevant. This virus/infection is real and it will be soon coming to you and everyone else on the planet. It cannot be stopped. If you are lucky enough to escape it, your children won’t.

If there is any glimmer of hope, it is and will be from those doctors and scientists who dare to listen to us AND who are in a position to do something about it. Nobody listened to Semelweiss even though he was right…..
    …….and it wasn’t until — two decades — after his unbelievably miserable death and frustrating life, that doctors finally accepted the link between unwashed hands (doctors’) and the death of newborn babies and mothers…….

History indeed repeats itself…..