Now This Is Interesting

I sent out a blurb on the email list today, first in months.

You can read what I sent out, here. If you like, you can subscribe to the right. I intend, finally, to be sending something out “off blog” about every week. I’ll probably dump thoughts and such into a file as I go about my days and then bundle them up.

I hadn’t even intended to blog about having done this, but I have to say it’s been an interesting, insightful few hours. Apart from the 50 or so straight unsubscribes, I’ve received a wealth of input. Because I wrote the email in a rather sarcastic tone, there’s the lafs and high-5s for that. But a few people have also taken a moment or so out to write why they don’t read anymore, or regularly. Obviously, I can’t very easily write to please everyone all the time. However….

That they took a moment out to tell me is the biggest piece of information. Thanks to everyone who did that. Seriously.

1. Larry on February 4, 2013 at 17:13

The email that you sent out was hysterical! Basic message was that you will probably hate Freetheanimal and it is the most sucky website ever so don’t bother to check it out. Dude, you rock & I really enjoy your site even though I believe in “fairies”. We can all be friends though, so keep on doing your thing and I will keep on enjoying it! 🙂

2. jim on February 5, 2013 at 02:16

What’s up with the SD address?

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2013 at 06:54

SD adress? Sorry, not following.

3. Bill Strahan on February 5, 2013 at 03:45

I was a little stunned when I read how you refer to your newsletter: “If you like, you can subscribe to the right.”

What, now your newsletter is the dispensation of our rights? The ego you must have! We have certain inalienable rights (as long as they don’t offend anyone, you see) and we don’t have to subscribe to anything.

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2013 at 06:53

Laf

Good one. You had me going for about half a second there, Bill.

• Bill Strahan on February 5, 2013 at 14:09

I am to please. Different note: reading Antifragile by Taleb. Hope you’ll take a look. I think you would be intrigued.

• Bill Strahan on February 5, 2013 at 14:09

Dammit. Aim. I aim to please. Sheesh.

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2013 at 14:58

I have it in draft in a PDF, which Nassim emailed me months ago because something or other from my own book was in it.

I’ve heard that I didn’t make the final cut, and so I’m not yet over my period of mourning.

A little respect is in order, Bill. Cheeses.

• Bill Strahan on February 5, 2013 at 16:51

Mkay, lessee here:

Denial: Nope, you’re pretty admitting of it.
      Anger: Probably what stopped you to being with but not now
      Bargaining: The Nikoley doesn’t compromise
      Depression: Well, you’re talking about it
      Acceptance: Yes! You have to be on the cusp here…

So, let me know when you get around to it. With your awareness of hormesis, you’ll no doubt jump right onto the idea that there are systems that are anti-fragile; systems that get BETTER after getting a little shake-up.

Of course, the most fragile systems are the top-down systems that you love so much, starting with the fed government.

Can’t wait to hear some commentary on it.

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2013 at 18:52

Great points and you’ve given me a desire to read the book, the final draft.

I LOVED Fooled By Randomness and after that, BS wasn’t BS but it just wasn’t FBR. It changed greatly the way I looked at things.

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2013 at 18:53