A Whole Day of Everything I Ate & Drank

I’ve been trying something new the last few days and finding it to my liking: eating more, just differently. Three squares per day. Here was everything I ate & drank yesterday, except for some coffee before breakfast and iced tea in the evening before dinner.

Breakfast, 9:30 AM

IMG 1507
3 eggs, cottage cheese with yogurt, whole milk

Lunch, 2:00 PM

IMG 1508
Roasted chicken, cottage cheese with yogurt & bacon bits, whole milk

Dinner, 7:30 PM

IMG 1509
Crock pot roast, onion & fennel
IMG 1512
With half a jumbo baked potato, butter and yogurt

I like it. Feels good. Seems to be working for me. Yep, dairy. Oh, well.

In other news, BBS-style (plus deadlifts) 20-minute per week workout going well, no re-injury, and winter swimming is fun and invigorating, especially walking around in wet trunks in the open 50-60 deg air.

I suspect fat loss to continue at a nice slow & steady pace.

1. Darin on February 13, 2013 at 10:34

Are you feeling any pain from your previous injury when you work out?

For the last 6 months I’ve only been able to do once a week chin-ups (5 sets, 10 reps) to avoid re-aggravating the shoulder pain I’ve had for the last 3 years which always returns once I start lifting weights but does not re-appear with chin-ups.

Chin-ups have been called the squat for the upper body and I believe it. I have at least the same, if not better, upper body development just doing chin-ups once a week for the last 6 months as I had following Body By Science’s Big Five workout for 2 years , which re-aggravated my shoulder injury as well.

For the last 2 months I added the stationary bike for a total of 60 seconds (20 seconds with 10 minute rest 3 times) 3 days a week which appears to be the reason my body fat has dropped dramatically (10% now at age 42). This BBC documentary, , turned me on to this workout which has been the most beneficial knowledge that I’ve ever received regarding exercise (besides Body By Science which convinced me that I don’t have to workout for outrageous hours a week).

I use to work out an hour a day, 5 days a week, and now I’m down to about 5 minutes a week. 5 minutes a week has provided me with the same, if not better, body composition and no tiredness that I use to experience daily.

• Richard Nikoley on February 13, 2013 at 10:44

it was a 7 pound roast. Can’t recall the type. I added some red wine, about a cup perhaps, and perhaps a half quart of beef stock. When it’s done, I remove all the solids, strain, use a fat separator (don’t care for the texture of lots of beef fat in my roasts), then reduce it by about half and reintroduce.

• Richard Nikoley on February 13, 2013 at 13:15

Darin:

I sometimes get a bit of pain, but it doesn’t correlate to the workout. Could be just sleeping.

I’m going to be adding in the intervals soon

2. John B on February 13, 2013 at 10:28

Was that a chuck roast, and what did you throw in the crock-pot with it?

• John B on February 13, 2013 at 10:28

Liquid wise, I mean.

3. […] The Animal / Posted on: February 13, 2013 Free The Animal – I’ve been trying something new the last few days and finding it to my liking: eating […]

4. Skyler Tanner on February 13, 2013 at 11:03

Richard,

Glad to hear things are going well. Looks like a nice dose of sustainable eating and training. Keep up the good work.

Oh, and fuck you. 😉

xoxo,
    Skyler

5. golooraam on February 13, 2013 at 11:55

pasteurized dairy? dairy
    OMG…

‘thunk’

that was me falling on the floor sarcastically…

great job Richard – looks delicious, full of healthy saturated fats to make you strong as a house!
    I found when I incorporated the St. Benoit milk into my workout days I always come out on the positive end – thanks for highlighting that dogma for the sake of dogma is more like ‘dog crap’

🙂

• Richard Nikoley on February 13, 2013 at 13:23

I buy 2 quarts of st benoit to a half gallon of organic pastures raw and fill my glass half/half.

Works for me. Milk does indeed make me feel really good, and pretty swole after a workout.

6. Gordon Shannon on February 13, 2013 at 15:48

I could chow down on those meals. Looks good.

Wish I could drink that much milk though. Used to be able to, but my body doesn’t like that much now. Whole is better than not, but I can’t’ get raw where I am. Shame – used to be able to get it in Scotland without trouble. Damned American fascists.

To think that this is what the average American ate all the time. Sigh…good times…

7. Rhys on February 14, 2013 at 14:13

Where are your greens young man!?

• Richard Nikoley on February 14, 2013 at 14:51

Wait until you see my post workout meal from last night. First a glass of Purple Wrath BCAAs. Them, to large baked potatoes with 2 pats each of butter, 2 oz each of pot roast, and a dollop each of yogurt, along with 2 pints of whole milk.

No greens. I try to get in a salad at least once per week but in general, I think the vegetable world is WAY overrated and WAY less beneficial than starch. Simple math.

🙂

• Nicole on February 18, 2013 at 11:34

I’m way down on vegetables myself – I just don’t think it matters that much.

8. tardis_blue on February 14, 2013 at 15:39

Maybe veggies are overrated, but I’m pretty sure the seriousness of scurvy isn’t.

• Richard Nikoley on February 14, 2013 at 15:45

I’m covered, because I do eat some vegetables, mostly starches. Had a bowl of fruit this morning,marinated overnight in a couple of ounces of OJ.

Am I safe? 🙂

9. Sonia Farlen on February 15, 2013 at 02:35

HI Richard, I just got here and this is the first time I saww your blog so I think you really do know a lot about working out and nutrition. Is it true that it is important to take some supplements while working out but in contrast with this, I’ve read at http://products.mercola.com/zinc-supplements/ that we do not really need some supplements, just eat those foods rich on those vitmains. Which one should I believe?