How to Be A Bigger Bully: An Open Letter to Mark Frauenfelder of Boing Boing

PREFACE

Came across this bit of PaleoDrama last evening.

Popular tech site Boing Boing not only said they would not link to Nikoley’s site after learning about what it contained, they scrubbed past posts of links to it. […]

Not only that, an editor at Boing Boing personally apologized for having sent his readers to Nikoley’s site.

Sure enough. While the posts are still intact, an article from three years ago and the more recent one from November last have had the links removed. Didn’t take long to figure out who was behind bullying Mark Frauenfelder into doing that and “personally apologizing for having sent his readers to [my] site.” Presumably, that includes the many who came and improved their lives as a result (see bottom of the post). This was the bully:

But yes, Richard Nikoley’s writings are frequently misogynistic and they’d only have to scroll down a few posts to see hateful anti-Muslim bigotry, fat hatred, and demonizations of people for voting, so I have a hard time believing BoingBoing’s editors didn’t know. I did create PaleoDrama in response to Richard’s bullying of me and others.

She goes onto complain how “this started after she….” Excellent. Nice admission. She posted about me, I responded in kind, including exposing a blatant lie of hers in my comments. Incidentally, her reply to my post, among other “don’t worry about it” comments? “Heheh, don’t worry. I’m no delicate flower.”

So this one got past me. Fist time. See, way back when, I saw the writing on the wall when Melissa demanded of Stefani Ruper, whom she bullies regularly: “Denounce him. Then we’ll talk.” I got right to work, dug up some worse dirt on Stefani, emailed her and just made sure she knew who the more capable bully was. Then I decided to be proactive. I got dirt on a bunch of others and made it clear to them that “denouncing me” would be far worse for them than acquiescing to Melissa’s demands. It wasn’t easy. Any idea how difficult it is to find dirt on Paul Jaminet? Well, at least Robb Wolf made up for it. That was an easy one.

[Added later: for the humor challenged (hint, hint), the foregoing paragraph is a complete fabrication.]

This one came out of the blue and since already a done deal, I did something totally uncharacteristic and sent an up-&-up email to Mark instead of trying to out bully Melissa.

For those newbees who keep asking “what’s this all about,” here you go; the basic history.

EMAIL OUT TO MARK FRAUENFELDER

Greetings Mark,

Right to the point: You got duped, man.

Not your fault; I know you’re very busy with a million things coming at once. This isn’t a request to change anything, just to let you know. Set the record straight, etc.

I only found out last night that links from Boing Boing to FTA had been taken down some time ago, leaving only the posts themselves intact (at least with my name and blog name, so no huge biggie anyway). And apparently, you were bullied into some sort of personal apology for having linked to my blog.

Here’s where I learned this:

The “potato post” didn’t get nearly the mileage in terms of traffic that the “body washing with water only” post did three years ago. By the time you had taken down the links (looking back on my logs) traffic was at a trickle, and I rarely get referrals from the 3-year old post anyway. No real “harm” done.

What I did want to make you aware of is the backstory such that next time you come across a crusading zealot who conveniently smears someone you’ve known and corresponded with for three years, maybe you ask that person first what’s true, untrue, out-of-context, etc.

Melissa McEwen (http://boingboing.net/2012/11/15/the-fabulous-french-fry-and-ha.html#comment-713631306) Is a former friend of mine and used to be one of the most respected bloggers in the Paleosphere; now, unfortunately, co-comrade in an increasingly shrill effort to tear down not only me, but many others (some of whom you are probably aware of). Here’s just one week of it, documenting numerous attacks on 7 productive people in the Paleosphere:

So anyway, yea, she used to be a friend, commented on my blog regularly (about 175 comments in total—fully aware of my shit stirring ways on many topics). We finally met face-to-face for the first time at the first Ancestral Health Symposium at UCLA (2011) where we were both presenters. My wife & I even gave her and then boyfriend, Chris Masterjohn (a superstar in the WAPF movement), a ride to the presenter’s party and back, with a stop at Whole Foods along the way (see 1st photo: https://freetheanimal.com/2011/08/appreciating-the-people-of-the-ancestral-health-symposium-2011-ahs11.html)

Here’s a brief synopsis of how things transpired to the point she started PaleoDrama.tumblr.com last August to smear me (but has since turned to smearing, implicating, bullying almost everyone—including her longtime friend, John  Durant, with whom she shared that New York Times “Caveman Diet” writeup a few years back and that got him an appearance on Colbert and a forthcoming book deal with Random House).

1. She got caught in a blatant lie in my comments. She posted under an anonymous name to smear another commenter (weak, skinny, orthorexic). He emailed me, saying he thought is was Melissa and could I check the IP. So I did. I felt no obligation to protect her lie, so I told him. He challenged her in comments, she lied. When confronted with the evidence, she offered some excuse that he was stalking her and she was afraid for her safety. Few, if anyone, believed this. The guy is pretty well known and while perhaps a bit eccentric, does not appear to be a danger to anyone—and he runs one of the oldest, most extensive indexes of Paleo/Evolutionary dietary resources on the Internet.

2. After her well received presentation at the aforementioned AHS at UCLA, she and I were both involved in plans for being members of a panel discussion on “self-experimentation” for AHS12 at Harvard Law School. In addition, I submitted a proposal for another presentation. The proposal for the panel discussion was not accepted and in an email, she admitted that she was “shocked.” My proposal for my own presentation was accepted and I presented on site while Melissa did not attend at all.

3. In the spring prior to AHS12 I became embroiled in a controversy surrounding a neurosurgeon who was making a number of questionable claims. He was being excoriated by a few people, Melissa being one of them. I and a few others (and including Robb Wolf — “The paleo Solution,” NYT bestseller) defended the guy initially, saying in effect, “let up on the guy, let’s wait & see.” For my part, I was really not interested in any of the “hocus pocus” but on his stuff about “cold thermogenesis,” having been a fan of cold water therapy at my gym for years. Well, the whole thing blew up, I blew up (used the c-word to Melissa), everyone blew up.

4. The first shot was fired by Melissa in a blog entry during that time. I replied in kind (and publicly exposed the lie in #1) in a blog entry. We appeared to have “made up” and exchanged emails, even about personal things like the reasons for her breakup with Chris Masterjohn. These roughly dozen personal email exchanges happened after I had used the “c-word.” “Don’t worry, I’m not a tender flower,” she wrote in a comment on my blog.

5. After AHS12 (which Melissa didn’t attend, but I did a well received presentation), one of the volunteers wrote a very critical blog post about the event and its attendees (basically: too many rich white people, not enough minorities, poor people, sick people). I did my kinda standard, libertarian sort of hit & run on the thing (https://freetheanimal.com/2012/08/ahs12-whining-and-gnashing-of-teeth.html).

And next I know, out of the blue, “PaleoDrama” ensues.

And now we’re all dealing with, and you were duped by, the common zealot with only a hammer, where everything looks like a nail (misogyny, sexism). You know: it’s that person in high school who read Rand, Chomsky, Marx or whomever, and in those initial years, literally everything was filtered through that paradigmatic lens.

It gets to the point where the zeal to “save the world” and “right the wrongs” becomes so essential that outright lies, distortions, and out-of-context word bites are seen as a necessary measure, much like environmentalists have outright admitted to lies and embellishments in advancement of the “greater good.” Most recently, for example, Melissa continues to lie on various comment boards that I “explicitly published” a physical threat against her in a comment (allowed it explicitly through moderation). This, after I have twice communicated to her how my moderation is set up (for first time commenters only) and that I deleted the comment in question, banned the commenter and deleted every other comment the moment I saw that threat.

Finally, Mark, regardless of what comes to pass in the future—and I’m saving the best for last here and the only thing that really matters—you have indirectly helped dozens, perhaps hundreds of people through publishing my stuff and linking to it on Boing Boing. I’ve lost count of how many emails and comments I’ve received over three years that begin with “I came over here from the ‘no-poo’ post on BoingBoing.” These people have lost significant weight and improved their health and well being.

Here’s one in pictures that I actually published in the Success Story category:

Man Comes Here to Have a Laugh; Loses 65 Pounds

As I was drafting this email to you, this comment came in:

“I first came here as a fat (and gradually getting fatter), schlub a couple of years ago because of the BoingBoing no soap article. That fatal day (Heh) lead directly to me losing 45 lbs in 3 or 4 months, regaining the sense of smell that I hadn’t had for years, completely eliminating my GERD, and ended with my feeling better than I ever have. I use soap to wash my hands after using the bathroom and before food prep, but I still don’t use shampoo or soap to wash my hair/body and have no issues with dandruff/greasy hair or dry skin.

“I frequently think you are an idiot politically, and I have a genuine distaste for the name-calling and paleo-drama/trauma that occasionally appears. But if I didn’t more-often-than-not find what you write to be interesting and/or informative, then I wouldn’t return, it’s as simple as that.”

~~~

How refreshing it is in this new world of the Internet to increasingly deal with people who have used it to enhance their adult status. It’s unfortunate that some are still attracted to adolescent idealism and regress back to being the equivalent of children.

1. Barry O'Rourke on March 29, 2013 at 14:10

After reading this I have concluded that Melissa is the Durianrider of the “paleosphere”….

2. Bill on March 29, 2013 at 15:01

I’ve never thought of you as being a misogynist Richard. At times a twat, yes.
    You treat men and women with the same respect or disdain. That’s how it should be.

3. Bill on March 29, 2013 at 15:04

I could have used knob instead of twat. Does that make me a misogynist?

4. Richard Nikoley on March 29, 2013 at 15:11

“Does that make me a misogynist?”

Only if I had different plumbing and a sensitive, entitlement diposition, have lived endless frustration over a lifetime of “microagressions.”

See about 7 minutes in, though the whole thing is a good primer on what’s going on. DONGLEGATE.

5. Dan on March 29, 2013 at 15:38

I remember that blog controversy when she said everyone at the conference were essentially male and white! That must have been when I was still active. What blog did she used to run?

Regardless she really likes using her womanhood as a shield doesn’t she. As soon as she gets caught out she goes running to the one thing that is seemingly untouchable ‘he is trying to hurt me’ and anyone who argues against that just comes out looking like a sexist pig, which she knows damn well and can then use as a weapon later.

As for you been anti-muslim that is just a joke. This I put down to American sensitivities. Beacuse I think you call shit when you see it and you don’t care if it is because of some religion whether christian or muslim. And I completely agree that these religions should be held up to scrutiny in the same light as anything else. But once again people like to use this as a shield to hide behind trusting in the fact that no one will go past that “it’s my religion’ line of logic. And that is why you are a threat Richard because you will tell these trolls if they are been ridiculous and gender, religion, sex, or body type doesn’t factor into it, and it shouldn’t, stupid is stupid.

6. Richard Nikoley on March 29, 2013 at 16:08

Dan:

Here’s my post on the matter:

It wasn’t Melissa who wrote the post i slammed, but a volunteer at the event. Most of the 132 comments are of like or similar mind. Melissa didn’t comment, instead started PaleoDrama (it was during this thread I found out about it and who was behind it, which took a few days because I think she wanted to test the waters before making it known who was behind it). In someplace or other she said something like “I felt so sorry for that woman,” which still makes no sense to me. Yea, well I felt sorry for the creators, the year-long organizers and the other volunteers who put on an excellent show.

Wish I had quoted the whole post because it made it look like everyone was a bunch of bumbling buffoons, except her.

I still don’t regret a single word I wrote in that post.

7. Eddie Mitchell on March 29, 2013 at 16:30

Hi Richard

So many never get it ! As the mafia say, It was never personal, only business, and I am not talking pounds or dollars.

Kind regards Eddie

8. Mark on March 29, 2013 at 16:41

Duriander of the paleo world. LOVE IT.

9. Brooks on March 29, 2013 at 16:44

Boing Boing has a lot of good content, but they have some of the most bunched up panties on the internet when it comes to content moderation. Despite your captivating chronicle of cunt bickering, I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for the BB links to be restored. Using “intolerant” words is a big no-no in progressive hipster realms like BB. They won’t let you back in the club no matter how little soap you use.

10. Richard Nikoley on March 29, 2013 at 17:22

Brooks:

Ha! Well, I’ve never frequented BB all that much except when I got linked way back then. 🙂 No matter, I will always appreciate Mark F for doing that for me. So out of the blue. I had been exchanging emails with Stephan G and mentioned I was 6 months into this experiment without telling anyone on the blog and was reluctant to blog it. I did it anyway.

At the same time, blog was running about 40K visits monthly for a while, consecutively, a slow buildup from 20K over months. It was 12/30/09 and I was looking at my stats lamenting I wan’t going to make 40K for the first time in months (holidays). I get up in the morning, 12/31 and it was 9am and I checked my stats and I’m like what? 8K visits and it’s only 9AM? By the end of the day I was over 100K for the month. Fark also picked up the post and it ended up taking down the server. My host had to leave a New Year’e eve party in Austria to get it back up and he chastised me for “installing untested plugins without checking with them.” Ha, all in all a great time.

Coolest thing though? Since that time, the lowest visit count I’ve ever had for a month was 88K and I’ve been to 120K many times. Essentially, boing boing doubled my blog in a single post, permanently.

My email above to Mark was not at all to get him to do anything about it, just be aware. I like that I can email him because I just saw him on Discovery or something and he responds. He follows me on Twitter (still) and in fact, when the whole banning things went down (he emailed me to ask I take it easy on his overworked moderator, I complied, but in the interim had been banned and Mark didn’t want to undermine him, which I agreed with incidentally and asked him to convey my apologies) he said he’d still be checking in here from time to time. Perhaps not the case anymore ,which if so, is no doubt a pleasure for Melissa. I guess she’s running out of bridges to burn in her relationships, so she has to go after those of others to light fire to.

I saw her use the word “pathetic” recently. How ironic.

11. Eddie Mitchell on March 29, 2013 at 18:16

People are appalled at the word cunt. Watch this video to the end, this is the world we live in !

Eddie

12. CatherineakaCate on March 29, 2013 at 19:43

Exactly, Eddie

13. Indy on March 29, 2013 at 19:49

OMG, the woman has finally revealed how truly ridiculous she is – posting that paragraph at PaleoMelodrama as if it were a revelation of how “vile” Richard is supposed to be. I always suspected she’d had a SOH bypass, now she’s revealed it to the world. Way to shoot yourself in the foot. I love it!

14. the bohemian on March 30, 2013 at 07:05

Richard-

why don’t you just be a good person and apologize to Melissa- it appears from the links you two were at one time at least casual friends. I for one, would definitely apologize to any woman I called a “cunt” because I would later feel bad for saying it. But then again, I would apologize to anyone if I felt my words were chosen just to be hurtful.

Not that we can’t say things we later regret . . .but it seems to me you doubled down on the word- when you could have just said that that your remarks were out of line and that you apologized for saying them.

FWIW- this is from Melissa’s latest post at paelodrama, talking about you:

“But the truth was that it hurt me”

Come on man- she’s not a bad person, you know that, and she is someone you used to know on a friendly basis, step up and do the right thing

you’ll feel a lot better- I know I would

15. Andrew on March 30, 2013 at 08:29

Yes, apologize to the dear little sock-puppeting hateblogger.

16. Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2013 at 10:18

“hateblogger”

So unfair. Hating hate isn’t hate.

(I’ll respond to the bohemian later, for the purposes of adding more context to the backstory.)

17. Nigel Kinbrum on March 30, 2013 at 12:11

I feel that this continual poo-flinging is bad publicity for the Paleo Diet.

18. Rob on March 30, 2013 at 16:38

Whatever that is.

19. Indy on March 30, 2013 at 16:43

Oh, so now she’s playing the “he picked on a 26 yo GIRL” victim card again? Sooooo predictable.

20. Richard Nikoley on March 30, 2013 at 16:49

Indy

I admit. I laughed out loud when I read that post response of hers last night.

21. Bill on March 30, 2013 at 17:36

Poo flinging? Dr. Art Ayers recommends exposure to different bacteria as a way of developing the gut flora. Don’t wash your hands so much and let your pets lick you. So maybe not a bad thing in the long run….

22. Nigel Kinbrum on March 30, 2013 at 18:51

Rob said…
    “Whatever that is.”
    Maybe you should read Richard’s book. Then you’d know. 😀

23. A.B. Dada on March 30, 2013 at 19:09

I stopped reading Boing Boing (was reading it a few times a day) when that she-man Xeni started posting too much.

Just can’t handle how weak and effeminate the site has become, from the male writers, and how masculine and aggressive it’s become (from Xeni’s side). I even have it blocked on my local hosts file so I don’t pop over there by accident. Same with Gawker. Probably soon with Lifehacker.

Political correctness is adorable for the weak masses. It’s not so cute from my chairs.

24. mm on March 31, 2013 at 03:13

flinged poo is a good source of B12

25. mm on March 31, 2013 at 03:15

A.B. : pc language policing is also not so cute for people who suffer from real discrimination

26. Nigel Kinbrum on March 31, 2013 at 03:30

The faecal transplant capsules I got tasted like shit and for all the good they did, I may as well have shoved ’em up my arse. 😉

27. mm on March 31, 2013 at 04:03

I hate to poo-poo your ideas, but I think you’re just full of hot air and noxious gases, Nigel. Frankly, what you say sounds like bull. Glorified organic fertilizer. Better call Penn & Teller.
    Personally I can’t stand this cacophony of comments. I think I’ll eat some cacao.

28. Nigel Kinbrum on March 31, 2013 at 05:17

It’s funny you should say that, but I’ve just blogged about malodorous gases.
    Cacao? mm

29. mm on March 31, 2013 at 10:27

Cacao, yes – a chocolate train of hot, hot fudge is what I’m eating. I’ve checked the label – it’s Greek.
    Your recent article mentions evolution and undigested sulphur-containing eggs. A sure recipe for dissipating fire and brimstone, if you know what I mean.

Can’t tell if those guys took too many of those capsules you mentioned earlier and are full of it, or if they just figure people are up to their ears in probiotics already and will believe in anything. Maybe they just think their sulphurous expulsions don’t stink… Maybe Coke just needs to add a little something extra to their drinks that’ll burn more calories and give more energy?

Well, I’m off. *listens to scat music*

30. Cori on March 31, 2013 at 12:57

I usually don’t comment on blogs…period…and don’t think I’ve ever commented on yours even though I have tried a few of your experiments…(wasn’t a fan at all of the potato diet personally…meat…YUM), but I’m sick of these stupid women and their rants for attention when they really don’t have ANYTHING important to actually contribute.

Women like them piss me off. They are like the boy that cried wolf.

If they don’t like the “Paleo” movement, then why don’t they start their OWN instead of just condemning people that have voiced their own opinions.

And if they really don’t like what you post, then why do they keep reading it and commenting and publicizing what you have to say!?!

31. Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2013 at 15:38

Cori

Melissa and Evelyn are smarter than a few of my commenters here and on Facebook and Twiiter responders. They know very well that the second they stop shitting on me, I’ll never post another word about them.

32. mm on March 31, 2013 at 18:50

Well said. But you won’t stop just quite yet, won’t you? Because M & E serve a purpose: to show everyone how meaningless the concept of feminism has become. Worse than meaningless, it shows how the Faustian bargain women and others who fear real discrimination have made with the political left is now basically eating its young, not really helping anyone and annoying everyone.

PS: Cori: who’s that hot 1950s gym pinup you’re using on your blog?

33. Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2013 at 19:59

Mm

How perceptive of you. I already have a post outlined. I’m sure you can guess the general subject matter. I may get it up tomorrow or something on nutrition. Haven’t decided yet.

34. mm on March 31, 2013 at 20:50

Richard I know this’ll make me sound weird, and nitpicky, but I’m a rhetoric geek of sorts… there’s a word in the e-mail you sent that you should have never used: (bow your head in shame; I hear it’s good for hormesis)

In my experience, even showing a slight, tiny slant like this* can get you smeared or ignored or brushed off as an ignoramus by your opponents and their semi-undecided supporters. I know this sounds annoying (and redundant since they already think you’re a wife-beatin’ rape-squad roamin’ sexist) but I cut my teeth debating christian theocrats/fundies in atheist forums and found that when people are cornered they’ll use absolutely anything, even the smallest thing, against you because some people really aren’t trying to debate rationally but emotionally.

Also before I realized just how illiterate I was as a lynchpin supporter of liberal “socialist economics” I’d read, twice, right-wing books with good arguments whose arthuors turned me off and made me even get a bit paranoid and doubtful about their own rational arguments because they both prattled on against teh gays and gay marriage (who know so many conservatives were for government restriction on a church’s ability to marry people – hey, see what I did there? How I implied opponents of same-sex marriage are anti-religion? Rhetoric. Beating people at their own game, using their own language, is fun!)

*(shrill = shrill woman = all women are screaming harpies = women are inferior to men ; in my old, naive feminist days if I had never been told of M/E’s vendettas and someone pointed this out I would have written you off as a closet sexist with a caveman club in his cave closet – the kind used for hitting heads)

35. mm on March 31, 2013 at 21:11

I figured you’d discovered the same things about feminism as me.

I was sort of burned or burned out from feminism; the last straw was when I was hearing someone from a sex worker support organization that mostly helped streetwalkers describing how she did presentations to cops, and what they were like. The police are pragmatists and the more experienced members of the Department for the Promotion of Virtue and Suppression of Vice figured out along the way that arresting a whore who just walked into their station bruised and bloodied because she admitted that the guy who raped and beat her was her client is not a good way to fight crime.
    I say this, because it had dawned on me that the women’s battered shelters were mostly run by crazy-ass neofeminists, and THEY for ideological reasons certainly would have given that woman more trouble than the actual vice cops. It was bad enough that some feminists don’t care about gender oppression against men, but some are even trying to argue that feminism means supporting the real oppression of women who get paid for sex. This is basically like a black anti-racist who hates black ghetto culture trying to convince people that discriminating and speaking against blacks who live in the ghetto culture is a form of fighting racism. Said that way, no one would believe it, yet somehow a segment of feminists have convinced people to do just that to segments of women they don’t like. (This also applies to transsexuals and in some cases, feminine women/women who wear makeup which they also hate).
    After I took a break from the internets and looking at my usual bunch of social justice sites I became aware how ivory-tower abstract and detached from reality some of the are. (the worst are the language police people)
    One does not need to call oneself a feminist to be for gender equality, and ditching the label will not make you any more or less sexist than you already were, but perhaps a little less smug

And finally:
    “Good feminists” aren’t the ones being brought in as experts by governments to write new anti-sex worker and anti-porn laws. Just because all of feminist friends you have are “good feminists,” that doesn’t mean “good feminists” make up a real majority, it just means you’re trapped in a feedback loop of confirmation bias.

36. Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2013 at 21:32

Mm

Ok, point taken about “shrill.” Funniest Tweet I saw today

“I’ll just never stop finding it funny listening to Rush Limbaugh lament the loss of traditional marriage as he sits next to his 4th wife”

Glenn Greenwald

Heh, remember the 1996 Republican Revolution? First thing they do is start talking about prayer in schools. Ever since, I’ve called them The Stupid Party.

Ok, ’bout feminism. It was actually Melissa’s response to this post on PD that told me it was pointless paying any attention to her, but the real deal is a more general critique of feminism on a cultural level, as part of my Palotics & Culture category. Not really something I’ve tackled in any depth. I went and looked up “oppression Olympics” that M referred to (essentially, hey, quit hogging all the oppression for yourself, there’s plenty to go around).

Then I went over to Shakesville, where Melissa McEwAn blogs (McEwen’s BFF). Interested in your general take. I found the comment policy absolutely hilarious, especially…

“Comments are open to anyone as long as they don’t troll and/or traffic in racist, sexist, homophobic, trans*phobic, ableist, ageist, sizeist, or otherwise overtly objectionable commentary based on people’s intrinsic characteristics. Hate speech, slurs, rape apologia, rape jokes and metaphors, violent imagery and rhetoric, threats, trolling, concern trolling, derailing, playing the Oppression Olympics, pointless belligerence, sockpuppeting, silencing tactics, accusations of bad faith, disrespecting the mods, including ignoring them, telling contributors what they should be writing about or how they should be writing about it, and/or invoking the [TW] blogmistress’ personal experience to use against her, or doing the same to any of the contributors, mods, or other commenters…”

Jesus, it’s easier to do your taxes than to figure out how to drop a comment there.

On the other hand, a lot of humor. Read the Shaxicon. Some funny shit in there.

37. Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2013 at 21:53

Mm

Thanks for that link. Great read. Yea, that tears it. McEwen is small potatoes. Strike the root.

38. Zen on April 1, 2013 at 00:42

I still like Mcewen’s blog HGL , and will continue to read both your and her blog .

I’m sure when she get’s a new boyfriend or has a few kids , the paleo drama site will plummet on her list of priorities.

Damn shame that feminism, intellectual dead end for many a smart women.

39. mm on April 1, 2013 at 01:16

Just wait until marriage defenders get their hands on The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, or try to lookup what “polyamory” means.

I’m too young for 1996, but please enlighten me.

Oppression Olympics is what they sink into naturally, because they no longer have any major enemies. The more successful a minority has been in fighting discrimination, the more morally bankrupt, nitpicky, paranoid and useless their self-professed activist leaders become. Meanwhile, people who want to follow them have to deal with their absurdities, because if they don’t they’ll be seen as bigots.
    This is not to say there aren’t real problems. For example I remember reading about a female-to-male transsexual researcher quickly taking testosterone and changing names, and after his first published paper and lecture as a man, being told that his research was better than that of his ‘sister’.
    The problem is a lot of people on the internets want to call themselves activists for bragging rights, basically, and they mostly take their ideology/theories from an intelligentsia that is basically made up of ivory tower academics who’ve probably never seriously been discriminated against in the last 30 years. Result: calling someone a bitch is now seen to be almost as bad as date-raping someone, and some people have serious discussions on whether or not people walk on personholes. These are extreme cases, but still. It’s easier to browbeat someone who calls you a bitch than an actual rapist.
    To sort of illustrate my point, read this: starting from 5th paragraph up from sexy witch pic

Also, anyone, especially women, can call themselves feminist, especially when it means getting things your way. But when it comes time to lobby for father’s rights and pay for your own drinks, their desire for activism starts to dry up. Also, I’ve noticed a lot of people will use words like “patriarchy” and “male gaze” and “objectification” without really knowing what these mean, and why were they invented.

40. mm on April 1, 2013 at 01:22

By the way, go read Sowell’s Intellectuals and Society if you haven’t yet. Seriously.
    Brace yourself for awesome:

41. Richard Nikoley on April 1, 2013 at 04:10

“Personholes?”

[never mind, I get it]

42. Joshua on April 1, 2013 at 07:03

Personholes sounds dirty. I kinda like it.

43. Richard Nikoley on April 1, 2013 at 07:34

It was actually ’94, midterm elections during Clinton’s first term when both House & Senate were in Democrat hands. Republicans trounced them royally, took back both by significant majority margins (at least the House–can’t recall for Senate). The House had not been majority Rep for a long time.

They had this “Contract with America” and much of it was pretty sensible fiscal stuff, cost cutting, deficit reduction, balanced budget, so on. What’s the first thing they start actually talking about? Prayer in public schools.

The Stupid Party.

44. mm on April 1, 2013 at 10:33

LOL personholes, the type one sticks their foot through, you pervs! They also stick clenched fists in there too… 😉
    to summarize my point some more: anyone who has time to talk about this kind of stuff should be ignored. Same with people who get real hurt by language and try to shame you into shutting up – not that people can’t be assholes, nor that people can’t get hurt feelings, it’s just that groups of people who are facing any kind of real prejudice do not have the luxury of doing this, and probably have bigger fish to fry. In other words, you’d have to be easily offended and have a skewed sense of what bigotry is to get this pissed of with all your cunting around, Nik.
    What these people don’t realize is everytime they call someone a misogynist for no real reason that word loses power and meaning. Well, I’m done talking about this – I get the sense I’m beginning to repeat myself.

I know the Republicans got hijacked by theocrats at one point, I guess that must have been the turning point. Reagan was religious but I’m told he basically kept that to himself. The way I see it, once they got religious they made their own faustian bargain (sorry, liberal fundamentalists, you guys don’t exist) and basically abandoned the youth vote and intellectuals altogether. And now they wonder why they suck so much… why was the last guy they got in such a bad spender… or why even is there all these atheist activist groups springing up everywhere?

The school prayer issue seems about as legitimate as the satanic cult pedophile kindergarden rings that popped up in the early nineties. Apparently it’s oppressive to tell a kid that’s praying loudly in class to stop disrupting the class… I wonder how the Religious Right will react once muslim fundamentalists start using the same tactics.

45. Richard Nikoley on April 1, 2013 at 16:46

“What these people don’t realize is everytime they call someone a misogynist for no real reason that word loses power and meaning.”

You are one perceptively smart cunt (cunt, right, not cocksucker–in the pejorative hetro way?).

Been saying that for like two decades. Why are you destroying important concepts by dillution?

I suspect you’re so smart that you figured that on your own through a simple process of recognizing that words mean discreate things, or at least should. After all, all words can’t always mean everything, right?

46. mm on April 1, 2013 at 17:46

Yeah I guess you could say I’m both a cunt, and, not (or rarely) a cocksucker. I’m also not mad and not scottish, but a fictional character in an old, partial and almost abandoned manuscript is.

The more things a word means, the more a word is used indiscretely, the less it has meaning. That’s how “queer” turned from insult to sort-of okay descriptive term. Cunt is technically the only non-insult, non-slang word for vulva. (vulva is an example of a word with a very specific meaning and tone. When you think of someone saying “vulva”, you probably think of a white lab coat. Or a diagram.)
    PS: I blame all of this cunt business on Game of Thrones!
    Fire and blood.

47. Joshua on April 1, 2013 at 18:42

My favorite bit of cunt trivia – Cuntgrope Lane was used as a formal street name for at least two cities in England – I believe Oxford was one of them.

48. Eric R. on April 1, 2013 at 20:52

“Then I decided to be proactive. I got dirt on a bunch of others and made it clear to them that “denouncing me” would be far worse for them than acquiescing to Melissa’s demands.”

Are you fucking serious? That’s really weird dude. Digging up dirt is what you have to do when you’re wrong…

49. Cori on April 1, 2013 at 21:05

Hi Mm

What 1950s pinup picture are you talking about? haha sorry!

Cori

50. Richard Nikoley on April 1, 2013 at 21:26

Eric R

Yea totally serious, especially about the note that follows the paragraph from which you clipped the out of context sentence.

If Melissa is hiring, you need to apply, instanter. You’re perfect.

51. Eric R. on April 1, 2013 at 21:58

Ha. I don’t read her blog. Humor did not come through at first read. Hence, “That’s really weird dude.”

52. Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2013 at 01:07

Of course, she’s perfectly willing to leave that quote up at PD, knowing it was a purposeful fabrication for a bit of humor. Fine with me. Demonstrates her agenda even more clearly for those who take a deeper look. Those who don’t I don’t care about anyway.

53. […] became clear to me the other night when I read McEwen's hastily drafted response to my posting of my email to Mark Frauenfelder of Boing Boing. I laughed out loud: “Heheh, don’t worry. I’m no delicate flower.” What a mess of […]

54. Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2013 at 14:41

Bohemian:

OK, first of all, new post.

Second, I don’t know how familiar with the story.

1. There was a parody twitter account, shitkrusesays or something like that. I had never bothered to look at it but it was “common knowledge” that Emily Deans, Melissa and Evelyn were behind it (that is, i was told that by several independent sources). This was bolstered by the fact they were very active against him.

2. They must have known this as well as I, but chose to let people remain in ignorance.

3. Right before the last LC Cruise two tweets went out, something about a major “biohack” that was taken as a terrorist threat, Jack Kruise was removed, I was I believe one of the first he called (Robb Wolf, too).

4. Based on my assumption in #1, I put out that tweet, not naming the three of them, but “the 2 Cs will pay.” Everyone knew who I was talking about. Why? because everyone assumed the same as I did.

5. Once they denied being involved, it came into question and I was no longer sure i apologized the very next day: I apologized for falsely accusing them of either engaging in, participating in or supporting a terrorist threat on a cruise ship. A crime. A serious one.

OK, now follow this logic. Suppose I say to you: “you’ll pay for beating and raping that woman, you cunt.” And what do you complain about? That I called you a cunt. And this is exactly what we have had from Melissa and Evelyn since that time. More logic: would not the C-word (or anything else) be appropriate for someone engaging in terrorist threats, or beating an raping someone? And should the accusation turn out to be a false one and the person says I was wrong, sorry, then it seems to me that the characterization of the act is NA. That is, that characterization only applies if indeed they did the act. If they didn’t, irrelevant.

Now, they certainly have a valid complaint for me making the accusation of a crime. I apologized for that, retracted it. Nothing more I can do.