You don’t have to look much far beyond the Steubenville rape….debacle, kid bullshit…or whatever it really was…to get a clue as to how very toxic our society has become on so many levels. Kids do shit. Why?
This simply does not scale to CNN, or anything like it (I just learned of the whole deal today, for the very first time). This is something best left to small societies and whatever norms they come up with and teach children. Then, you can simply condemn it if you don’t like what they come up with.
You know what I think? I think that the propensity over the last couple of decades to try children in court as adults, for adult crimes, is the very most telling thing you can come up with to illustrate our social depravity: that adults are in general lazy, pleasure-seeking fuctards from top to bottom, now, willing to sacrifice children to their ideological proclivities. In this case, however, sanity prevailed and they were tried as kids. But then look at the uproar over the “light sentences.” I guess we’re just becoming more vegetarian dietarily, offset by being more cannibalistic socially, over time.
….Or, maybe it’s just the modern equivalent of sending off the youngest men with the most potential, to war, to die for an “ideal” they never had a chance to realize in their 20 year life. Military grave sites are repleat. Well, they got “tough life sentences” now, didn’t they? And it must be said that even if they “chose” that, they were just kids.
Isn’t it funny? The kid isn’t competent to have a drink, smoke a joint, screw his girlfriend. But wants to go off to war and die for your pathetic ass? By all means. Hero.
At least they got a flag on their coffin.
Tagged: “disgusted with ‘adults'”
Update: A comment posted elsewhere on a post that took exception to this one.
Well I probably ought to just go about my merry way—having a certain “pearls before swine” feeling, here (Sean excepted)—and just in case anyone’s wondering? Nope. I fully stand by every word of that post and am proud of the fact that I never, ever fall victim to groupthink no matter the subject (as Sean Abbott never does, either). Ever. Not afraid to outline exactly what I think and the number of people wringing and waving hands is always irrelevant and truth be told, it’s when the vast majority are shrieking that I tend to suspect I’m right more than ever and they’re just regurgitating what they were taught they were supposed to think in our enlightened, sensitive, feminist, pussified culture. That said, yea, at least one of the commenters is over the top in my view. OMG! That never happens on MY blog.
And, I’m sure that because of it, a lot of males are now going to go out and rape a female because of it. So sorry.
Anyhooo, nice exercise in binary thinking. Yep, it’s all the rage now. Here we have this marvelous capacity to integrate, make distinctions, differentiate the truly evil from the very very bad, judge someone—especially a young person(s)—as caught up in circumstance not of a premeditated making vs. premeditated sociopathy / psychopathy, and we throw it all away in order to act like drones and bots executing Teh Programations so that everyone thinks we’re nice, good little automatons.
No thank you very much.
1. This sort of thing absolutely is a direct result of awful parenting, which started being awful about 16 years ago. Unless, you think that having your 16 year olds out drinking and partying without adult supervision is a sign that parenting was probably irrelevant here.
2. Nowhere did I suggest or imply that these guys ought be excused or not face some sort of reprisal for their actions.
3. I wonder who took the pic? How many others were standing around cheering things on?
In other words, nothing different to see here. Irredeemable at 16. No difference, that, from some 35-year-old mother’s basement dweller who lies in wait individually, sober, in the bushes to brutally beat and rape a lone sober woman walking home in the dark. Nope. Lock ’em up and toss away the key. What catharsis! …Because, after all, it wasn’t just a 16-yr-old girl/victim out drinking and partying and that got involuntarily finger fucked, American conscience got it right up the ass! Society needs a collective moment of healing, no matter the cost. One for all and all for one! We have been unjustified by this gross injustice!
I happen to agree with and salute the judge’s obviously unpopular exercise of judicial restraint, not bending to the obvious frenzy of a lynch mob. Good for him.
And incidentally, the actual act would have counted as sexual assault in the UK (according to two news reports—haven’t looked it up). Guess what else? We have 50 states and all such laws are independently decided by the states. So, Wooo, how about do a post about them awful Brits who don’t know a rape when they see one?
This is exactly why the English common law, incidentally, is the Enlightenment gold standard in matters such as these. It’s law made over time in courts, circumstance by circumstance, employing a lost art: thinking, making distinctions, exercising objectivity, avoiding prejudice, bias, crowd hysteria—as an exercise of deliberate judicial virtue and jurisprudence. Y’know, tawdry shit like that.
So, ok, feel free to get back to the groupthink catharsis.
A few other things.
- From now on when shit like this goes down with kids and children involved, how about we try the parents as adults and the kids & children as kids & children?
- I have zero sympathy for whatever repercussions are going to befall these guys in their lives to come, once out of detention. So if anyone thought I’m down with those reports calling it a shame on grounds such as various lost opportunities—boohoo—think again. It’s a shame, but just because it’s a shame all around. Adults should have been doing their jobs.
- Had the girl’s father, brothers, uncles etc. (y’know, people for whom this is their business) hunted those guys down and given them proper beatings within an inch of their lives I’d not have lifted a finger to intervene. Because….it’s none of my business either way.
- If you want someone punished, imprisoned, stolen from or killed, then do it yourself! That’ll probably guarantee than when you do, it’ll actually be your business. This one isn’t your business.