Three Weeks on the Raw Milk & Kefir Intervention

This might read as so bright eyed

1. Just the facts, Ma’am. Bottom line it for me
  2. How the intervention has evolved over the three weeks and what’s in store for this week and next
  3. The health benefits, drinking too much alcohol, and a nutrition book recommendation
  4. The questions and answers
  5. The ridicule and scorn

~~~

Those are the topics of this week’s Newsletter update. If you’re interested in checking it out, you can subscribe over on the sidebar or just go here. Once you confirm your subscription, you’ll get a welcome email within about an hour with links to all past issues, including the one published just moments ago.

This last one is pretty damned extensive. If you’re not interested yet, I promise you will be eventually. So why not get a jump on yourself now?

1. Om Shanti Om on March 21, 2013 at 19:36

As a child in India I grew up on “mata”, which is home churned buttermilk from the fresh milk of my grandparents cow in the back yard. We mix it with spices like cumin and black salt and then its called “chach” and is delicious. Poor farmers put all kinds of sprouted lentils, barley and other grains along with spices into it and drink it for energy and stamina.

For ethical reasons here in the States the only type of dairy I’ll consume is from a local Hare Krishna farm that treats its cows well and does not slaughter them. Its well over 60 miles away so I’m not going there weekly. I go once or twice a month at most. I’ll collect a lot of milk and then make my own buttermilk (with an electric churning machine) and yogurt at home, from which I’ll also make homemade ghee. There are two types of ghee: from butter and from yogurt. When I don’t have a lot of time I’ll just buy butter and ghee from the farm.

By the way Richard, since you have a lot of Indian friends not a few of them must have an arranged marriage, but do any of them have an arranged ________?

2. Mark on March 21, 2013 at 18:43

Hey, where is Ima Cow with all this milk business? Would only be appropos for an appearance by Cow.

3. Zach S on March 21, 2013 at 18:44

That was much more interesting. Its sad that most people (including myself) are unable to get raw milk. I can drink pasteurized just fine but it seems to give me strong body odor and a bit of acne. Would love to trade it in for some raw and compare.

Side note, Richard, have you read the blog ChaosandPain? His writing really is up your alley and when reading your last post where you felt the need to concern yourself with two babbling bitches, i though you might like to read his latest instead.

Cheers.

4. cremes on March 21, 2013 at 18:50

Check your newsletter subscription process. I tried subscribing several hours ago and never received a confirmation email. I just tried again and still no email. Something is borked.

5. Gabriella Kadar on March 21, 2013 at 19:22

Kefir is the ultimate fermented milk product for slackers like me. It’s not magic. Tastes great but does not prevent psychopatholical behaviour and thoughts. I don’t think necessarily the troops of Ghenghis Khan were any of the above, but they did drink fermented dairy and they did what they did.

Kefir is just a food probably rich in B vitamins and K2. Drink it or not. I don’t think it alters the human thought process paradigm. It doesn’t even clear up my office manager’s acne.

6. Richard Nikoley on March 21, 2013 at 19:43

Cremes

Sorry about that. Not sure what I can do since I’m getting a continual stream of new subscribers. Tell you what, Ill see if I can just add you manually. Is the email you used for this comment the one you want?

I’ll also send you the links to the past newsletters.

7. Richard Nikoley on March 21, 2013 at 19:52

Nice non-sequitur, Gabriella.

8. Richard Nikoley on March 21, 2013 at 20:42

“i though you might like to read his latest instead.”

Thanks Zach. That was great. I do have some ideas. The stuff of the last couple of days was just an entry. The approach moving forward will be vastly different.

9. cremes on March 22, 2013 at 06:38

Richard, looks like my email provider has a problem. I opened a support ticket. I’ll work through the problem with them… I’m sure the subscription is stuck in a mail queue somewhere.

10. Richard Nikoley on March 22, 2013 at 06:50

Cremes:

I happened to have Mail Chipm open and searched the list. Sure enough, your email is subscribed. I don’t see anything as to whether it has been confirmed yet or not, but you’re on it.

Update: Oh, wait, now I see. It shows “Pending Confirmation.”

11. Jane on March 22, 2013 at 07:25

Richard, have you had your iron levels tested? I ask because I understand alcohol is making you feel bad in a way it didn’t earlier. You could have iron overload in your liver.

Getting the iron out of your liver will require copper, and your milk diet may not help because milk is extremely low in copper.

12. pzo on March 22, 2013 at 14:56

Jacking my diet around because I suddenly have sort of high fasting blood glucose and very long time to return to normal after a not high carb meal. I’m starting to play with ricotta cheese, it’s whey in a non-processed form. Very insulotropic. I’d like to kick the pancreas into making more insulin to get the BG down.

Anyway, lots of good stuff on whey at the Journal of Clinical Nutrition, but when I saw this, I thought of your recent weight loss:

Might be part of the answer. Or, not.

13. Richard Nikoley on March 22, 2013 at 16:21

Pzo

I recall seeing some program on French TV like back in 91 about a rat study where rats fed milk gained more weight than rats fed the same milk made into cheese (equicaloric). The hypothesis was the way the calcium works, though I have no idea the details.

That reminded me of that.

14. Ryan S on March 23, 2013 at 08:48

I’m already a subscriber but for some reason, I didn’t get this one.

15. Richard Nikoley on March 23, 2013 at 09:17

Ryan

You’re subscribed to the newsletter, or to RSS or posts via email? Check, please. Try subscribing to the newsletter again via the link I provided in the post. If already subscribed it will tell you. If not, you’ll be subscribed and will get the welcome in about an hour. If you are, let me know and I’ll email the link.

16. Richard Nikoley on March 24, 2013 at 13:50

Jane

Yea, no, no iron checks. I plan to assemble a list of checks for once I get to goal weight and stay there for a few months to let everything settle out, since that’s where I’ll stay forever.