Boston

Actual First Responders never get the credit and when they do, it’s always overshadowed by 10th responders wearing badges & fashions.

That is all.

1. John Clarke-Allmark on April 16, 2013 at 14:59

Unfortunately that is true across the globe, But the heroes will continue to show heroism and the suits will continue to straighten their ties for the cameras. The heroes will never be deterred by this.

2. mr Dave on April 16, 2013 at 16:30

look at the video on the right hand side of the the page, the one with the caption “I saw blood every where. ” over it.

Cops and firemen were pretty much the first ones there, along with other bystanders.

Barney Frank said this:

Here we saw government in two ways perform very well. … I never was as a member of Congress one of the cheerleaders for less government, lower taxes. No tax cut would have helped us deal with this or will help us recover. This is very expensive.”

what you said is just as fucking stupid. Like you and Barney have take advantage of this “teachable moment” to tell us a little bit about the way the world works. Great except, he is a jack ass and your premise is wrong, at least this time.

Anarchy starts after the bomb goes off. And the police brought some order to the madness. It doesn’t mean government isn’t too big, and it doesn’t mean we’d all be better off with no policemen. There is plenty of room in the middle of those two positions.

3. mm on April 17, 2013 at 01:13

Gee, I wonder what organized group did this? Probably the same one that always tries to blame the Jews for everything their terrorists do. Oh, look – some of them are already doing that on Youtube…

4. Rebecca King on April 17, 2013 at 07:05

They should get much more credit than they ever do but ems people are just dedicated and not in it for the credit. Thankfully for all of us that might need them at some time. Now I’ll shut the f..k up.

5. Elenor on April 17, 2013 at 09:08

No intention of bragging or anything … but my dad wrote this decades ago for our local paper:

I think there is a certain kind of person who is drawn to being a volunteer, to choosing to run into the fire, not away from it. They are the class of people who are ‘protectors’ — the ones who study and learn survival-stuff, the ones who own guns, the ones who watch out for neighbors, the ones who think long and hard about (some of) the things Richard writes about. He and I disagree on some things (no anarchy for me — *fascism* is the thing! But fascism where the rulers are your OWN; not someone else’s, not foreigners, not folks looking after their own in-group to the detriment of mine! Certainly not the fascism we’re living under now!) but even the act of thinking about these things put one in the protector class.

(p.s., Oh. And, Rebecca? Some of us EMS folks are (were) in it for the adrenaline rush! {wink})

6. Richard Nikoley on April 17, 2013 at 10:31

Elenor:

In point of quantifiable fact, every natural or man-made disaster is attended to by multitudes more man-hours in volunteer time than so-called “first responders.” I’m not begrudging their contribution at all and I certainly see the value of competent professionals with experience on scene. But I loath the term “first responder” (can anyone tell), particularly what it’s meant to imply and whose contributions it’s meant to overshadow.

Not wishing to open a can of worms here (PLEASE!), but just compare the volume of volunteer assistance in a CA earthquake or fire, a midwest tornado, an Easter seaboard hurricane—and the new New Orleans all-victims-all-the-time-where’s-Bush? fiasco.

7. mr Dave on April 17, 2013 at 13:46

Richard your point is taken, I am glad I got to compare you to Barney Frank, though.

8. Richard Nikoley on April 17, 2013 at 13:51

OK mr Dave. I can certainly understand that desire.

9. Namu on April 18, 2013 at 06:12

Thought you’d like the irony: http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/Toute-zone/Actualite/24-Heures/n/Contenus/Articles/2013/04/18/Un-patient-sauve-son-ambulancier-d-une-crise-cardiaque-1416731

Ambulance driver saved from heart attack by his 60-y-o sick patient. He even gave him some of his blood-thinning medication.

10. Harry on April 18, 2013 at 10:55

Please. One can’t go 5 minutes without seeing some cop or fire fighter or soldier having his ass kissed by some individual or organization trying to make a name for himself. Statistically, these heroes aren’t in any more danger than OTR truck drivers or gas station attendants, and yet they get treated – and paid – like they are the only ones who make life as we know it possible.

11. Ulfric M Douglas on April 18, 2013 at 11:27

Heck yeah! “Actual First Responders never get the credit and when they do, it’s always overshadowed by 10th responders wearing badges & fashions….”
    I’ve seen life-threatening incidents THREE times in my adult life and guess who was the first responder? Me.
    Fuck the ages-late professionals : oh sure, when they get there they are likely to do the right thing within their management-imposed constraints … but real humans are the real responders nine times out of ten. No badges. No pay.
    Learn what to do : do it.