Melissa Horn, Under Löven

Just a quick bit of music for a Friday. I’m preparing to move the whole blog over to new hosting sometime Monday, at which point I’ll have to lock down comments for the transition time. As I was making preparations for this I came across my web developer’s personal culture blog, and then his post on Melissa Horn.

I recently came across the most beautiful music I’ve heard in years. Prepare to have your life changed in the next five minutes. If you are not ready for that stop reading and most importantly stop listening now.

Well I was quite blown away, and promptly snagged everything available on iTunes. Thought I’d share that with you.

Want to hear something else I like quite a lot? James Dalby, just some guy who does acoustic covers and some original singer/songwriter stuff, and he’s very, very good in my estimation. Here’s his YouTube Channel. And here’s a recent original.

Want upbeat? Try this cover of Ignition, with nearly a million views on YouTube now.

1. Paul Doherty on April 26, 2013 at 14:38

I listened out of curiosity. It is Swedish. What a surprise! I wasn’t expecting that. Very nice too. Thanks Richard.

2. Swedish on April 27, 2013 at 06:50

Richard, you must listen to another really fantastic singer/songwriter called Ane Brun

3. marie on April 26, 2013 at 18:30

Wow. Amazing smoky-beautiful voice ‘makes’ the sound of the song and band….yes, I can see the guy’s comment about ‘beautiful music’, the words don’t even matter here, you can get carried away on the music alone. Going up next to my Diana Krall collection.
    Thanks so much!
    I thought the Dalby kid is fun too – rather talented. How in the world did you come across? accident?

4. MickeB on April 26, 2013 at 21:33

Here is a translation of the lyrics if you are interested

5. Richard Nikoley on April 26, 2013 at 22:21

I don’t recall exactly how I came across Dalby, but I saw enough to subscribe to his channel and have yet to be dissapointed.

6. Pauline on April 27, 2013 at 01:09

Loved the song by Melissa Horn and the translation (thank you) – very haunting sound and lyrics. Very moving even when I didn’t know the meaning…maybe even more so…lover’s lament.

7. Todd on April 27, 2013 at 07:13

Heard this song earlier this week on the local independent radio station and really dug it:

The Mavericks – Come Unto Me

8. Richard Nikoley on April 27, 2013 at 20:26

Swedish:

Yea, I like it. Reminded me of Dolores O’Riordan, The Cranberries. She’s just got to get the yodel thing going and she’s all set.