Sunday Church Services for Human Animals

~ Do you know why Paleo is really becoming popular?

morning wood
Morning Wood

I snagged that pic from this post: Fellas, How Sturdy Is Your Morning Wood? It has a lot of conventional “wisdom” BS (like don’t skip meals; hey, Paleo intermittent fasters will tell you that’s a load of bollocks—you get even more, more often). Otherwise, lot’s of decent info. Also, there’s this viddie that explains the physiology:

Of course, we Paleoish laugh, because it’s like years now that the awareness of Morning Wood has solidly “risen up” and “pierced” the flimsy veil of normalcy in aging—with authority, attitude and one-eyed meanness.

Otherwise, it’s nice to have nature’s alarm clock back.

~ The funniest anti gay-marriage thing I saw this week (via George Takei’s funny & witty Facebook Page). I suspect the pink represents a female poster and the blue, a male friend from way back.

Lafs

Perhaps her male friend is a fan of EvilBible.com, as am I. That site makes it so easy to shut up silly Bible quoters. Works every time. Rape, murder, brutality against women & children, slavery…you name it. The Bible commands it all at one point or another. The standard response you always get is the old, New Testament “different dispensation” evasion—like God found Jesus and mended his evil ways, or something. Lafs.

~ It’s so easy.

6799 530351500364260 758627699 n
So Easy

~ If only.

dogshit
Thank You!

~ A philosopher in our time, Dr. Seuss.

ehacdebj
WTF?

~ Evolutionary Networking.

Evo Network
Evo Network

~ “Skilled” politicians are just the most pathetic.

PO
Popularity!

~ The Separation of Church & State was a brilliant and effective ploy to preserve the dying church, by making it a sanctioning partner of the State, with perceived divine authority.

Seneca
Utility, by means of perceived morality

Alright, that’s all folks.

1. Rip @ MIPWID on May 12, 2013 at 13:56

Not to mention the question why God, if a supposedly perfect being, would really give a shit about being worshipped anyway.

2. Doug McGuff, MD on May 12, 2013 at 18:01

Don’t forget to ask your doctor if you’re healthy enough for sexual activity.
    Here’s a hint: if you can’t get a hard-on, your not.

3. Nigel Kinbrum on May 12, 2013 at 22:40

Doug. Doug!
    It’s “you’re not.”
    You got “Don’t”, “you’re healthy enough” and “Here’s” correct, so I won’t give you a metaphorical http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs 😀

@Richard: As an ex-Engineer, the 2nd image from https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=off&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1505&bih=700&q=difference+between+men+and+women always makes me hoot.

4. LeonRover on May 13, 2013 at 01:55

Hmm.

Just make sure that the Wood in question ain’t Norwegian – otherwise you may find Bird has Flown 🙂 🙂

5. Elenor on May 13, 2013 at 06:09

“the 2nd image” made me wonder — howinthehell did he get the writing all the way up to the top of that chalk board?!?! Can he FLY!?

6. Richard Nikoley on May 13, 2013 at 06:47

The ladder on rollers at the top, just like in the old libraries with high bookcases.

7. Joe Garma on May 13, 2013 at 13:36

Hey there.

I’m the author of that “Fellas, How Sturdy Is Your Morning Wood?” article above referenced that contains “… a lot of conventional “wisdom” BS”.

First, thanks for the mention… I’d rather be scorned than ignored.

Second… well, here’s a litany:

1. BS or not, much of what I wrote was a review of Dr. Life’s book, “The Life Plan”. He’s an MD and a PhD, which by themselves does not confer some perfection upon him, but — when combined with his very fine example of fitness ate age 70+ — does give the lad some credibility.

2. I have 20+ years of experience with fasting, both intermittent and week-long bouts of nutty self-denial. If done smart, it will work to make you lean and there’s the added potential benefit of extending your lifespan. Thing is, most people are more willing to do the frequent meal eating than intermittently fast, and doing so can be successful to losing fat, so go for it, IMHO.

3. Beware getting too locked in or self-identified with one modality or “truth”, as they can be fleeting. A mind is like a parachute, the adage goes, because it only works when open. When it comes to diet, as with fitness, meditation, supplementation, etc. — many roads reach Rome.

Yep.

-Joe

8. Richard Nikoley on May 13, 2013 at 15:12

@joe

“I’d rather be scorned than ignored.”

Ha, good sport! Not scorn, really. It’s just I have two pet peeves: don’t skip breakfast and don’t skip meals, to which I always want to ask: so you’re telling me to eat when I’m not hungry? I’ve found that to the extent I stay PGP (pretty good paleo—high nutritional density, little to no crap) I’m more of a 2 meal per day person and if I do eat a “breakfast” it’s generally never before 10, even if I may have gotten up at 6am.

On Dr. Life. I actually mentioned him, with pics in a post a few years back.

I subsequently heard that he achieved a lot of that with hormone supplementation (i.e., the super-expensive injections). That’s fine, but it’s really not my deal because I think one can do fine on a good real food diet.

Re #3, I’ll forgive you for that. 🙂

There’s many other posts to that effect going way back. But anyway, I thought your was an overall good post.

9. Graham on May 13, 2013 at 15:46

Hey Richard–long time reader, first time commenter–

As I was enjoying the post today, I felt compelled to finally let you know that, with Sisson’s site becoming a support group for the willpower-challenged/clueless and Harris and Durant focused on other things, this is the only “paleo” blog enjoyment I get anymore. I share your beliefs on potatoes, politics, and all around stupidity—keep it up!

Graham

10. Joe Garma on May 13, 2013 at 16:50

Well, Richard we’re not so far apart.

1. I typically do not eat breakfast either, per se. But, given my resistance training, I do consume get 30 grams of high quality protein within the first 1/2 hr. of arising, which consists of powdered sprouts and whey w/ some other potions. Other than that, first meal is usually after 1:00 PM and the last food at about 8:00 PM. Monday’s are fast days… well, juice made by veggies and a bit of fruit.

2. Yes, Dr. Life can thank much of his muscular development to his testosterone injections, but he could still be muscular and chubby if he didn’t eat effectively for leanness.

3. I’m the forgiving type too, particularly given what you wrote in that last link.

Yep.

-Joe

11. Doug McGuff, MD on May 13, 2013 at 17:33

Nigel,

Is anal-retentive hyphenated?

12. Richard Nikoley on May 13, 2013 at 17:48

Here’s another grammar nazi vid, done to a scene in Inglorious Bastards.

13. LeonRover on May 14, 2013 at 01:32

Not a dangling part . . . . iciple ?

14. Indy on May 14, 2013 at 07:32

I love some of those pics. Brilliant!

This one has always been one of my faves – I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too if you haven’t seen it before, Richard:

15. Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2013 at 09:03

Indy:

Unsurprisingly, many have emailed that to me over the months. 🙂

16. marie on May 14, 2013 at 11:49

Richard, I’m getting addicted to the sunday services post, I really hope you keep it Up! 😀

17. Nigel Kinbrum on May 14, 2013 at 12:42

Doug McGuff, MD // May 13, 2013 at 17:33
    “Nigel,

Is anal-retentive hyphenated?”
    Obviously, yes. But what I would like to know is this:-
    Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning?
    I used an exclamation mark. I even used a smiley, damnit! I was pulling your leg. If I have to use humour tags, that ruins the joke. I also wanted an excuse to link to that Mitchell and Webb video. Oh, well. Never mind, eh?

18. Richard Nikoley on May 14, 2013 at 13:04

But Nigel, I thought Doug’s reply was funny.

And he didn’t use smileys. It reminds me of way back when Tim Ferriss did an April Fools about how over the last year his personal assistants had been writing his blog the whole time, he’d been off & about. I smelled it, plus I knew the date, so I quickly did a post about how great it was. Then when the gig was up, I chided him in comments about how he screwed me, made me look gullible to my readers, etc.

He replied that he had no intention of causing problems, sorry, etc.

I replied: April fools!

Couple of years later Mike Eades invited me up to SF for the sous vide unveiling with Heston Bumenthal presiding. The table was me, Mike and Tim (Tim hogged the scrambled eggs). He still remembered that deal.

I’m sure Doug knew you were joking, so he gotcha.

19. Lulzzzzz | TempestTcup on May 19, 2013 at 11:54

[…] Blatantly stolen from Richard at Free the Animal […]

20. […] GERDs, life long battle with allergies, and losing 60 pounds on Paleoish diet. We talk about Morning Wood, erectile dysfunction, how solid nutrition and a Paleo diet vastly improves your libido and men […]