Just Get George Zimmerman; And Whatever

I have a challenge for you. Get through this Mark Steyn bit in The Orange County Register without basically lafing the entire way through: Zimmerman case’s legal absurdities astound. I’ll wet your appetite.

In real justice systems, the state decides what crime has been committed and charges somebody with it. In the Zimmerman trial, the state’s “theory of the case” is that it has no theory of the case: Might be murder, might be manslaughter, might be aggravated assault, might be a zillion other things, but it’s something. If you’re a juror, feel free to convict George Zimmerman of whatever floats your boat.

I’m giving you the least of the funny, or, the most funny; but you have to read it to tell.

So the prosecutors decided, the day before the case went to the jury, that Zimmerman was engaged in an act of child abuse that had somehow got a bit out of hand: no “credible witnesses” to this charge had been presented in the preceding weeks, but hey, what the hell? Opposing counsel, taking the reasonable position that they’d shown up to defend Mr. Zimmerman of murder and had had no idea until that morning that he was also on trial for child abuse, check bouncing, jaywalking, an expired fishing license, or whatever other accusation took the fancy of the State of Florida, asked for time to research the relevant case law. Judge Debra Nelson gave them until 1 p.m. At that point, it was 10.30 a.m. By the time the genius jurist had returned to the bench, she had reconsidered, and decided that “child abuse” would be a reach too far, even for her disgraceful court.

Over this last weekend I am more than ever convinced that I live in a country on the brink of some semblance of a civil war: smart people vs. abject morons. I know where my food would come from—setting up traps for abject morons…all the while imagining an apocalyptic novel about how Darwin works in mysterious ways, and 20% of the human population of earth just ate the other 80%. …But, I just really want to get out of the circus and set up shop where I can spear fish every morning.

I’ll leave you to sort out the wonderful irony in this. Hint: who gets to kill black boys on mopeds (or wearing hoodies), and who doesn’t get to?

Margaret Thatcher on TV
Shocked by the deaths that took place in Beijing
It seems strange that she should be offended
The same orders are given by her
I’ve said this before now
You said I was childish and you’ll say it now
“Remember what I told you
If they hated me they will hate you”
England’s not the mythical land of Madame George and roses
It’s the home of police who kill black boys on mopeds
And I love my boy and that’s why I’m leaving
I don’t want him to be aware that there’s
Any such thing as grieving
Young mother down at Smithfield
5 am, looking for food for her kids
In her arms she holds three cold babies
And the first word that they learned was “please”
These are dangerous days
To say what you feel is to dig your own grave
“Remember what I told you
If you were of the world they would love you”
England’s not the mythical land of Madame George and roses
It’s the home of police who kill blacks boys on mopeds
And I love my boy and that’s why I’m leaving
I don’t want him to be aware that there’s
Any such thing as grieving.

Don’t be moron. This was a self-defense case and that’s all it ever was, in its totality.

1. GettingBetterAllTheTime on July 15, 2013 at 13:51

The Steyn article is well-worth reading in its entirety; he is a national treasure in my opinion. Thanks for the link and picking out some of the most salient points about the travesty of the “system” that charged Zimmerman for self-defense.

2. CC on July 15, 2013 at 14:57

I would stick to writing about paleo/primal shit if I were you. As a privileged white male I can’t expect you to understand injustices that black/brown men face in this country. Black men/boys are considered enemy of the state which is the reason GZ assumed Trayvon was “up to no good”. I can guarantee that if Trayvon was white/fair skinned he would be alive because he would not be a perceived threat.

GZ was told to stay in his vehicle and not pursue Trayvon. GZ decided to be a cowboy and stalk a child. Child defended self after being harassed. GZ decided to shoot and murder child. Simple so you Don’t be a Moron.

3. D on July 15, 2013 at 18:09

Wow, as much as Richard has bashed race supremacy(and took on several “race realists” in his iq posts) to see him labelled like that is a little humorous.

While I don’t agree with you Richard that it was a clear case of self defense, I do think it got way too much attention, the wrong way.

• Richard Nikoley on July 15, 2013 at 18:27

It was absolutely a case of self defense and only self defense and it out be the very only thing that matters to a rational person. I’m not going to explain it to anyone, because when the apocalypse happens, I’m going to need food.

• D on July 16, 2013 at 10:33

You may want to reconsider that, I don’t taste that good >: D

4. elliotdiafono on July 15, 2013 at 19:15

“whet your appetite”

5. Emmanuel Sanvito on July 16, 2013 at 02:31

I’ve grown to think the ongoing popular fad in the ‘zombie apocalypse’ genre, in comics, movies and videogames mainly, is driven by a very discrete but real concern, mostly felt by smarter-than-average people (a great many geeks included), that ‘the other random moron out there’ will at some point turn to a social predator to them.

Statism is, after all, a brain-rotting disease that can transmit, through the ears and eyes, from the mouth of the infected (especially the willing, immune carriers called politicians) to vulnerable people, and artificially make them angry and violent (and vindicative), and incapacitate their rational thinking as well as annihilate any morality in its victims.

• AndrewS on July 16, 2013 at 11:02

As I understand it, this was George Romero’s initial intent; the zombie as social commentary. Or at least critics see it that way.

6. Mandy on July 16, 2013 at 08:51

Actually, the breeding, protecting and coddling come from the black males’ mothers. I live in a city with a slight black majority and have seen numerous times first hand that the lower-class black community is decidedly matriarchal. “Baby boys,” as doting mothers, aunts, baby mamas, sisters and grandmothers call them long after they’ve become adults, are constantly shielded from the consequences of their actions. When the cops around here are looking for one of them, they almost always find them with one of their female relations, who will then loudly shriek about the cops being “racist.” Never mind that this city’s police force has a black majority too …

• steve W on July 16, 2013 at 12:04

Mandy see here:

Equatorial, primitive matriarchy versus space age patriarchy. I’ve encouraged Richard to read this thorough bit of “Science!” but he just keeps on believing that all men were created equal…

• D on July 16, 2013 at 14:04

Steve:

Was expecting some racial claptrap, but will go ahead and give the link a read. Though right away I’m raising an eyebrow at the societal dysfunction and pathologies being associated with ancient hunter gatherer lifestyles. That’s quite a bit of a stretch but like I said I will give it a read.

-Feral Black Male

7. RRJ on July 16, 2013 at 17:43

If I understand this case correctly, and I probably don’t because I haven’t followed it (it’s none of my business), Zimmerman followed the black dude for looking suspect, the black dude took offense to it and attacked Zimmerman, Zimmerman then shot the guy because he was getting worked. I think that’s the gist.

So the way I see it, is if you don’t want to get your ass handed to you, stop stalking strangers. If you don’t want to catch a dart through your hoodie, don’t pounce on someone simply for following you.

@rnikoley:disqus

“But, I just really want to get out of the circus and set up shop where I can spear fish every morning.”

This.

8. Richard Nikoley on July 17, 2013 at 06:29

Since the process is moving to next step I took it down for now. Still have it, just unpublished. Probably no biggie, just being conservative.

9. Richard Nikoley on July 17, 2013 at 06:33

Calm down. You know, thinking better of having a post up that even indirectly mentions a potential employer is simply nobody’s business but mine. Honesty does not mean one must tell everyone everything at all times.

As for moderation, I no longer have time to deal with every 2-bit troll and spammer and Disqus is very good for that. All anyone needs to do is verify their email with Disqus and comments go right through. I’m also whitelisting folks as I have time so their comments will go through even without the verification, provided they use the same credentials.

10. Richard Nikoley on July 17, 2013 at 06:45

Yea, and note that the bullshit focusses on the stand your ground law, which doesn’t apply.

11. bob r on July 18, 2013 at 15:55

Didn’t Stevie also say:

When you believe in things that you don’t understand

Then you suffer

Superstition ain’t the way

Man should pay some attention; he obviously believes in things he doesn’t understand.