Primal Moms Look Good Naked

Looking Good Naked
Looking Good Preggers-Naked

Peggy Emch is a blogging buddy going back a few years, perhaps to 2009. She began commenting on my blog even before she started hers, or thereabouts. Once we’d exchanged a few emails, we discovered that prior to her move, she’d lived but a block or two away from our place near downtown San Jose; but we’d never ran into one another, and I’m certain I’d have remembered her cool tat. Small world.

She’s a math geek, too. It must be said.

It must have been sometime in 2010 or 11, when she emailed that she’d be back in San Jose for a family visit. “Lunch?” Yea, sure, of course. Gordon Biersch. She ate ZC, if I recall. It was there I first heard her story about … A Drugged Out Pimp Gets Revenge on the Wrong Girl.

Shocked. Amazed. You really have to read her story to best appreciate what her blogging has always been about, and now, her book. My take? Every human, motherly instinct that night drove her to try against uncertain odds to protect her newborn daughter—and not her husband, who’d already been rendered incapacitated by the intruder. That’s evolution as it should be. He is on his own. He’s a man. As it should be and is…when people act on instinctual value choices. Note: It’s the values that are instinctual and not the choices. That’s the difference between good people and bad people. Good people act to preserve sound values steeped in evolutionary humanity, those that enhance lives and propagate a species. Bad people do something else. Nobody cares, because hopefully they die in the process.

My first step from the dark of the bedroom was met by a massive black figure towering towards me. A man dressed in black with a black face mask stood where my husband should have been.

My first thought was quick. ‘My husband’s dead. Save the baby!’ She was six months old. This man was here to get her. Why else would someone break into my house and come to the bedroom? ‘He’s here to kidnap my baby!’

I stretched out my arms to block the doorway and an electric shock pulsed my abdomen – again and again. I fell to the floor. He grabbed me from behind and punched me, holding my tiny body with one arm. He tased me again and beat me and kicked me until I was limp.

‘Stay alive, Peggy. Don’t close your eyes. The minute you close your eyes she’s gone. The minute you close your eyes she’s gone. The minute you close your eyes she’s gone. Evelyn! Evelyn! I love you Evelyn! Stay up, stay up. Don’t die. Don’t die, Peggy.’

Everything went black and I fell to the floor.

In the end, the event made sure that both her and her husband got new lives, separately. I caught up to her when she was embarking on the next life: new place, in a new area, and a new guy…who turned out to be the father of her second child. All new. After an event like that, it perhaps has to be.

So, onto the book.

Myth shattering

As a mathematician geek, Peggy has never been anyone’s fool and I knew that, going way back in my comments. As I briskly read through the book (…not a pregnant woman, no plans…) I was surprised and delighted. She even takes on alcohol. You know, moms, even if you have a sealed bottle of rubbing acohol in your basement to take off the nail polish, it will KILL YOUR BABY.

Peggy is nobody’s fool. (Suffer an armed invasion and survive, you won’t be, either).

She laudably lauds nutritionally dense foods. Math geek. 1+1. Duh. The manufacturing (her term) that goes on when a baby is in the oven requires a complete nutritional regimen. Even a guy manufacturing happy face stickers knows that he needs to resupply.

…Love how she shatters exercise—or even just plain movement—DON’T MOVE…YOU’RE PREGNANT!—myths. Pregnant woman can actually move. They can flex muscles. They can exercise muscles.

Stretch marks. On your own, laddies. Get the book.

Celulite vis-a-vis collagen. On your own, laddies. Get the book.

Varicose Veins & Hemorrhoids. TMI, so: On your own, laddies. Get the book.

Constipation. TMI. On your own, laddies. Get the book.

Sagging Breasts and Vaginal Dryness. Fix that for us, m’kay, laddies? Get the book.

…OK, that’s about halfway through and largely, the rest is Peggy’s more general tie in, i.e., generalized Primal, fat gain/loss, and so on. There’s a chapter as well on postpartum depression but it probably has analogs to all kinds of ways both males and females feel down.

In my own experience, high nutrition daily is the best medicine.

In the end, there’s just zero doubt in my mind that every single woman who has an inkling towards having a healthy baby, and healthy body in her own right afterwards—now or in the future—could only gain more knowledge, insight and self-help by reading Peggy’s book.

Oh, by the way… You saw she looked good pregnant, right? Did you look? Well, here’s her before and after.

Peggy Park Arms Open 21
Arms Open—Before & After

I loath using the phrase “I’m proud of you,” for anyone but children. I’m impressed. I’m happy for her. I’m proud she picked me to be a friend of Peggy.

1. marie on July 1, 2013 at 18:08

Seriously?! Healthfully gorgeous Mom, a Math geek and a Musician?
    Someone worth reading.
    Thanks for that, Richard.
    Way to go Peggy!

2. aurelius on July 2, 2013 at 08:38

For some math and music go hand in hand. Why should it be strange that a mother enjoys those topics.

3. RobertvE on July 2, 2013 at 09:31

She is smoking hot! Yes, this stuff is amazing.

4. steve W on July 2, 2013 at 12:10

“That’s the difference between good people and bad people. Good people act to preserve sound values steeped in evolutionary humanity, those that enhance lives and propagate a species.”

Richard you are a riot. You and Sam Harris both.

It is perfectly conceivable that the actions you, Richard Nikoley deem “good” will ultimately lead to the extinction of the human race and conversely that actions the bien-pensant deem “bad” would not.

• Richard Nikoley on July 2, 2013 at 12:20

You misunderstand. Implicit is the notion that everyone acts to preserve, gain, keep the values they deem good. It’s a-priory that such preserves humanity or we wouldn’t be here. Thus, most people are by definition good.

• steve W on July 2, 2013 at 13:14

Nikoley: I heart Sharia

• Richard Nikoley on July 2, 2013 at 13:25

Yea, so do several hundreds of millions of people. Last I checked, their civilization is still growing. Not my cup of tea and to the extent they try to impose their will on others who don’t share the same values, then slit throats.

• steve W on July 2, 2013 at 13:41

Acid in the faces of female adulterers – good or bad?

• Richard Nikoley on July 2, 2013 at 14:00

Acid in your face – good or bad?

• steve W on July 2, 2013 at 15:09

I’m not a female adulterer.

If female mutilation ensures that more of those peoples who practice female mutilation “endure”, then it’s “good” according to you, right?

• Richard Nikoley on July 2, 2013 at 15:16

Nope. As I said before, you misunderstand. Now I think you’re doing it purposely, picking at scabs just like Nigel. It’s perceived as good by the people doing it.

There will always be bad people in the world. It’s a priori that the vast majority are not.

• steve W on July 2, 2013 at 15:28

“Bad” according to whom?

(My perceived obtuseness is not affect.)

• Richard Nikoley on July 2, 2013 at 15:48

Me, of course. And everyone else. Everyone judges good & bad by their own values, so that’s the subjective part. The objective part is that reality is inviolable. So, everyone gets to be as subjective as they want, and a lot of people get chewed up because of it (Google “Death by Government”). But in the final analysis, the vast majority of people get it mostly right most of the time and thus, humanity in the collective aspect flourishes.

Accordingly, I think there’s vast amounts of both bad and good in the world, but the good in the large seems always to outweigh the bad.

My question is when you’re going to stop being as obtuse as you can be.

• Sean II on July 3, 2013 at 07:48

RIchard,

Your idea that the dynamics of groups do not scale to society is spot on. It keeps answering a lot of questions.

Almost all try to think in a global manner now, coming up with fantastic fatwas for how things should be. FGM must have come out from somewhere and why people want to continue it I will never know. Left alone, one day someone might say “Hey, the reasons for this no longer exists!”

Now we like to think globally, we assume the right to be that someone. I wonder if the ‘Backwards’ believe it is their business and right to sort out some of our problems.

Some HGs from PG came on a visit to the UK a few years ago, to bring a message to their god, Prince Phillip. They found it hard to see people begging in the street while Chiwawas were keeping appointments with their hairdressers. Yet, they just shook their head (as in #incomprehensible) and got on with their mission.

Respect your scale.

Excuse my rudeness! Props to Peggy.

• steve W on July 3, 2013 at 12:01

Hypothetical:
      One peoples (a) squander their female-reproduction via birth control and abortion while another (b) deliberately precludes birth control and abortion and even engages in female mutilation in order to ensure their peoples’ reproductive success.

Several hundred generations later peoples-A no longer exist while peoples-B are thriving.

Wouldn’t this mean, according to your rationale as stated in this blog post and these comments that peoples-A approach was “bad” while peoples-B was “good”?

Last time I’ll ask.

• Richard Nikoley on July 3, 2013 at 14:19

It’s none of my business.

• Michael on July 7, 2013 at 05:09

Steve, the only people around to tell the tale would those of peoples B – history is written by the winners… The winners are pretty much always the good guys, at least until they aren’t winners any more…

5. ironthumb michaelangelo on July 2, 2013 at 14:13

primal indeed

6. gkadar on July 2, 2013 at 18:16

Richard, you gotta a typo: acetone removes nail polish. But honestly, I wish there was a real down to earth book on this subject 30 years ago. We got all the airy fairy nonsense. Well, I’m not going to volunteer the discoveries postnatally which I experienced, but I’m glad if someone cuts through the garbage and says it like it is.

7. Jack on July 3, 2013 at 16:21

Very hot! Wow!

Jack

8. Amanda on July 23, 2013 at 21:41

She is awesome I read her blog (found it) sometime before I was pregnant with my first. Very awesome very inspirational but I missed the part about being attacked! How crazy.
    I wasn’t 100 percent plaeo but close. I had the easiest pregnancy (my gf’s hate me) no marks no nothing different I actually ended up leaner post baby when I stepped back into the gym. Im pregnant with the second and although Im definitely more tired (probably due to my energetic toddler) its not bad and I plan to come back leaner afterwards (when I get back to the gym of course). I think more women need to to rethink diet when pregnant its not necessarily a time to eat for “two” but to eat whole foods (I eat more fat am more lenient with carbs) but I do not overeat or overindulge. Plus exercise I lifted to the day I gave birth and plan to do the same this time around!!