Richard’s 30-minute Steak Frites

I woke up this morning to email news that someone is looking to sue me for calling her a c-word and et ceteras, only just because she is. Took a look. Yawned. I answer attorney letters in sharpie (faxed back, so his whole office sees it)—for like 20 years—and built a company around it with lots of employees and clients. Go for it, ‘c’; take your best shot and, yawn.

Yawn.

But I had better things to do, like meet up with my favorite PhDork, up in SF, a blogging buddy-homie for years. The premier Foodist, Darya Rose (formerly Pino). How in the world could I have given much thought to a sweat-hog when I got to sit across from this.

IMG 1724
Summer Tomato with her…Summer Tomatoes

The ends of the table don’t quite balance out, though.

IMG 0708
Right?

Like I’ve blogged, love this one to death and she’s a big value to me on Foodist levels. To the mundane levels, she turned me onto smoked paprika. No. Way! So, now, I’m going to try to turn her onto Red Palm Oil. Just Google organic/virgin red palm oil. Getting ready for a week long vacances starting tomorrow, so I’m not bothering with affiliate links to buy me one drink.

Since we’re taking off for a week and I had a steak in the fridge and a potato on the counter, I got to work.

IMG 1726
Red Palm Oil

Just toss ’em. Oven, 400ish. 12 minutes later, toss, and back in for 10 and then watch through the door.

In the meantime, it has only taken about 5 minutes to cook your flat iron steak in leaf lard you got at Prather Brother’s right in that same building, after bidding Darya farewell. After you’ve deglazed with red wine, added some butter and then beef stock, you let the latter reduce as you let the former rest and stay warm by the vent of the oven finishing off your fries.

IMG 1728
Almost

The trick is timing on the reduction if you don’t plan to thicken. At the right time—which you can only learn from experience—you shut off the heat and let it evaporate to finish off.

IMG 1729
Done
IMG 1730
Bea’s plate
IMG 1732
Mine

I’m very much enjoying splitting one steak with Bea rather than getting two huge ones, having a bit more starchy to go with.

Anyway, heading out tomorrow and for reasons I’ll mention later, this is super vacation for me, so don’t be surprised if I blog a lot out of boredom cure. I’ll be sure and make it wild and fucking off the wall.

1. Austin Pitts on July 19, 2013 at 06:52

I think I have the correct amazon link with the free the animal affiliate and the first one listing organic.

OKONATUR 100% Extra Virgin Red Palm Oil – 16 Fl Oz – 102 reviews
    Amazon Prime $14

Red Palm Oil (100% Pure) – 33.81 Oz. – 144 reviews
    Amazon prime $12

Have fun on the vaca! Can’t wait to do oven fries again

2. efalke on July 19, 2013 at 06:24

Any chance you’ll publish the sharpie letter? (redacting the names of the parties, of course)

• Richard Nikoley on July 19, 2013 at 06:28

I very, very much doubt there will be a demand letter from a real attorney behind any actual intention to file. It’s bluster.

• efalke on July 19, 2013 at 07:44

Ah, I wrongly assumed you wrote one in this instance.

3. […] Richard’s 30-minute Steak Frites <<Because meat and potatoes don’t need to be unhealthy. Bonus: a guest appearance by yours truly. (Free The Animal) […]

4. Jordan Atkins on July 19, 2013 at 12:43

This looks delicious! I laughed at the first picture because the angle makes it look like the steak is very small in relationship to the skillet. I enjoy reading and making your recipes for fries and other potato variations. Have not bought any palm oil yet; been using mostly bacon grease and coconut oil

5. Mike Calvin on July 19, 2013 at 14:40

Slanted Door? Great choice! I was actually there for dinner last night.

6. wagist on July 19, 2013 at 16:07

“I woke up this morning to email news that someone is looking to sue me for calling her a c-word and et ceteras,”

7. EatLessMoveMoore on July 19, 2013 at 18:36

I really don’t understand why people don’t just give her the apology she wants and be done with it. She turned out to be mostly correct about Jack Kruse and Jimmy Moore (to name two of a multitude) anyway.

• Gene on July 20, 2013 at 04:07

And with each passing day she gets a few ounces less right about Jimmy and his diet.

• EatLessMoveMoore on July 20, 2013 at 14:17

Jimmy’s issue is disordered eating, so losing or gaining are two sides of the same coin.

8. Jack Yee on July 19, 2013 at 19:21

looks yummy! Enjoy your vacation!

9. Carole Sampson on July 20, 2013 at 08:47

I’m yawning for you too, Richard!

🙂

10. PatriciaINS on July 20, 2013 at 08:50

Um, no. Many are SUGGESTING that she sue, she says no. Maybe you should go to the source instead of depending on email. She says shit, you say shit, Robb Wolf says shit, Mark Sisson says shit, Jimmy Moore says shit, Paul Jannette says shit, Charles Grashow says shit, Gary Taubes says shit, Dana Carpender says shit, whatever big-name low carb/paleo guru says shit because I’m tired of typing “(name) says shit.” You won’t go wrong in eating real food. Even if it’s potatoes or corn. Not Jack Daniels, though, no one’s proclaiming that real food.

11. Lang on July 20, 2013 at 14:21

Oh wow, that looks absolutely delicious! Although I don’t think that would be enough for me to eat, maybe just double the recipe and it’ll be enough.

12. Carl on July 21, 2013 at 22:56

I thought you banned that ELMM Carbsane-suckup/troll

13. Richard Nikoley on July 22, 2013 at 08:08

I can’t recall specifics of why that was, Carl. At any rate, I basically reset everything when I went back to the previous comment system.

14. LOL "News" — It's What It's Good For on August 2, 2016 at 12:33

[…] not lying, and I’m not biased—even though I’m quite fond of Kevin’s wife, Darya. …Seriously though, I do like the newsletter. It’s short, clean, surprisingly modest, […]