Fuck the IPMG (International Paleo Movement Group)

Bunch of pussy wankers who have been, since day one, searching for a New Religion. A comment.

I recently posted a link to a science journalist’s article on resistant starch on the fb page of International Paleo Movement Group, within 15 minutes it was removed. paleo people against science? wtf?

It’s a group, dear Rose Fryer, not a personal blog. As such, removals, bannings and such don’t reflect upon one blogger’s own desires and time constraints as they do here (I don’t let people shit in my living room, anymore, even though I have hardwood floors).

It reflects fear.

You see, Rose, so many jumped into all this so cocksure, as did I. Thing is, it’s actually complicated and quite unsure on many levels. One must decide: am I going to be just another marketer, another cheerleader, another money grubber? OK, even processed paleo is probably better—and I was wrong here, apparently:

The Paleo Principle is Neither Authoritative nor Dogmatic

I also wrote somewhere along the line that paleo had its own self protection built in; in that, by definition, it’s not processed and packaged food. And what have we? Of course, I’m guilty. I have some of their affiliate stuff of my sidebar.

So, the only difference is that I’m a whore who can manage to admit it.

1. Paleophil on August 8, 2013 at 18:34

From the International Paleo Movement Group Facebook comments: “ALL STARCHES BECOME GLUCOSE.” (attributed to David Pendergrass)

Wrong, resistant starch becomes fat (short-chain fatty acids – see “Short-chain fatty acids and human colonic function: roles of resistant starch and nonstarch polysaccharides,” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11427691 and other research), not glucose.

Resistant starch was likely also consumed by Paleolithic peoples via raw, and after the advent of cooking, briefly-cooked, tubers and legumes, such as the wild African tubers, legume tubers and groundnuts that some African semi-tribal peoples continue to eat to this day. RS is more Paleo than the allegedly “Paleo” demonizers of all starch. If they bothered to read the research, they would know this (see Sex Differences in Food Preferences of Hadza Hunter-Gatherers, and “Early Humans Skipped Fruit, Went For Nuts [and legumes, roots, insects and meat],” .

As Paul Jaminet said, his Perfect Health Diet that includes certain starchy foods is more Paleo than “Paleo” (at least the most common conception of it). Heck, even the Inuit traditionally ate wild “Eskimo potatoes” (often raw) and even Loren Cordain allows people following his approach to eat tubers who are active and not trying to lose weight, and Boyd Eaton allows both tubers and legumes. Stefan Lindeberg has studied people who thrive on a tuber-rich diet (The Kitava Study, http://www.staffanlindeberg.com/TheKitavaStudy.htm). Unfortunately, since the days when these early pioneers were most influential, an extreme anti-starch and often anti-carb fringe has formed. In contrast, even Jimmy Moore at times acknowledges that some people thrive on Kitavan-type diets rich in starchy foods.

I’m LC myself, yet resistant starch so far appears to have lowered my fasting, random and postprandial blood glucoses and I appear to handle it better than fruits (though I do eat some fruits too). Haven’t noticed any GI benefits yet, though. Keep up the good work on resistant starch, Richard and Tatertot. You’ve been helpful.

2. tatertot on August 8, 2013 at 12:51

I’m always amazed when people respond to the concept of ‘Resistant Starch’ with anger. I think it more deserves a ‘hmmmm’ or a ‘hmmmph’. People never say, “Down with Inulin” or “We don’t need no stinking galacto oligosaccharides!” But mention resistant starch and the gauntlet has been thrown.

3. Richard Nikoley on August 8, 2013 at 13:22

Tim:

It has an evil word. And evil words—it’s said—lead to evil deeds.

It’s tantamount to masturbation.

…Now, where are my glasses?

4. Paul Halliday on August 8, 2013 at 14:09

I deleted all my social media accounts some time ago so can’t partake, but … oh, dear! IMPG? Really? Gawd, that sounds like a party I really don’t want to attend, let alone donate to.

If someone’s got beer on a BBQ and meat in a glass, I’ll be there 😀

5. Ray on August 8, 2013 at 14:12

Richard- try to post it again. Im sure it was a mistake. The moderators are good people. I will be sending them a message for sure.

6. Richard Nikoley on August 8, 2013 at 14:32

Ray

Sorry, I have my own experience. The moderators are Mark I , Mod A fucktards.

I only did this for lafs. IPMG is a big pool of dumbass religious fucktards that want their protected cloister.

Fuck them all, unapologetically.

7. Ray on August 8, 2013 at 14:45

Haha well I wouldn’t say that I have had some good conversations on there. But people do need thicker skin. I posted what you wrote. People need thicker skin.

8. Richard Nikoley on August 8, 2013 at 19:40

PPhil

Thank you very much for the valuable and wide scoping contribution.

Death to all Zealots! 🙂

9. Paleophil on August 8, 2013 at 19:46

Or may they at least get a bad hemorrhoid flareup. 🙂

10. tatertot on August 8, 2013 at 21:14

@Paleophil – That was really good! Did you write that or was it a post on IPMG (or both)?

TT

11. Paleophil on August 9, 2013 at 16:33

Thanks Tatertot. I wrote it, with the help of some notes I’ve accumulated over the years since I became interested in ancestral nutrition.

It looks like sago (extracted from the pith of sago palm trees) and breadfruit are some more foods that contain significant amounts of RS, and they are also relatively staple foods for some peoples, and/or regarded as quite healthy by them:

> http://tinyurl.com/mloegbs

12. Kayumochi on August 9, 2013 at 06:18

IPMG? Didn’t know there was such a thing … Not surprising – it is so easy to become moralistic about food.

13. Jeff on August 9, 2013 at 07:48

All I know is, after taking the advice of Richard and Tatertot, my insomnia has improved. 4 tablespoons mixed in a pint of cold water. I don’t have the vivid dreams or anything nor is it a sliver bullet guaranteeing me a perfect sleep each night but things are better than they have been in 10 years.

Screw the narrow-minded folks and thanks for doing the research and experimenting!

14. tatertot on August 9, 2013 at 21:11

@Paleophil – Excellent links! This was the first I’d ever seen anything on sago or breadfruit. These two foods are completely unfamiliar to me and probably most of the modern world, but they definitely played a role in the nutrition of pre-contact people and definitely appear to contain a good bit of RS.

From the last link:

“The digestibility of plantain was not affected by fermentation, whereas the RDS[rapidly digestible starch] content of breadfruit and sweet potato decreased and the RS content increased after fermentation. ”

I’ve seen this trend before. Legumes do the same thing. Taro, eaten as fermented poi, also has more RS, I’d be willing to bet.

Thanks!

15. john on August 15, 2013 at 18:25

@Paleophil, do you have any links to mammalian colon evolution? It seems an interesting way to explore the relationship between food types and evolutionary niche success. eg http://www.mapoflife.org/topics/topic_206_Gut-fermentation-in-herbivorous-animals/

If the fermenting hindgut has been around for x hundreds of millions of years, fire for cooking for about 2 million years and agriculture for 10,000 years, I would like to be better informed about hindgut food fermentation pre-fire.

16. Paleophil on August 15, 2013 at 21:05

Indeed, even if we were to accept Wrangham’s controversial early 1.9 mya estimate for the advent of cooking, it means that fermentable fibers like resistant starches, inulin and pectin were eaten raw for x million years before that and continue to a lesser extent to be eaten to this day despite the current popularity of thorough cooking.

Perhaps acquiring new strains of bacteria in hominin history expanded the range of foods humans could thrive on, making humans into adaptivores and enabling them to conquer the planet?

17. Rowdy on November 17, 2013 at 22:06

Just caught on to all of your RS ranting, googled: “resistant starch & ulcerative colitis”.

Bam, I’m sold, I have mild UC, in remission but get the occasional flare up, I reckon this could knock that on the head. I’ve never been hard-core paleo or LC, but on consideration my diet is very low now in RS after adopting a pale-ish diet.

• Charles on October 22, 2016 at 20:40

The very best thing I’ve seen for colitis is a product called “Floraphage” by Arthur Anderson Medical. You can Google and find it in various places. I’ve not seen anything to compare in terms of responding to an acute condition, and I’ve been in and around the natural supplement biz for 50 years. [I have no commercial relationship with the company.]

• Charles on October 22, 2016 at 20:42

And I’m very supportive of the RS approach as well. Been doing it along with Richard, Tim and a few hundred others for the past couple of years. This is more to address the acute condition of UC.

18. ProfAyers on April 9, 2014 at 22:05

Richard,
    It seems to me that you are showing signs of chronic inflammation… or dysbiosis. Check your diet for seed oils and extra starch. And I always forget to mention dental problems.

[I am perplexed when people talk about the evolution of human gut flora. How does that make sense, when people are eating soil and biofilms actively promote DNA transformation and aggressive horizontal gene transfer? The species concept is tentative among gut flora. We make new species continuously.]

Thanks for developing a practical, cheap, safe way for enhancing immunotolerance and curing a bunch of chronic diseases. I am glad you don’t actually care about the naysayers.