My Classic Dutchmen TADA (T@DA) Camping Trailer

Update: The T@DA is now on a local RV lot for anyone interested.

…The advantage of having a blog with good Google Creds…

Here’s the Craigslist posting: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/rvs/4015997956.html

~~~

$14,900

2009 Dutchmen TADA, no longer in production and very classic. Manufactured in the European style (sheet metal and fiberglass “sandwich” sidewalls on a steel X-frame) for light weight so that smaller vehicles can tow them. Only 2,200 pounds towing.

The build and interior is very high craftsmanship.

@ Sleeps three (2 on main bed, 1 on the table that folds down)
@ Microwave oven
@ Refrigerator
@ 2-burner stainless steel gas stove
@ Stainless steel sink
@ Dual electric / gas water heater
@ Gas space heater
@ Electric heat pump unit for both A/C and heating (unit is incorporated in the body so no A/C unit on top)
@ Bathroom with cassette toilet and shower
@ Rooftop vent with electric exhaust fan
@ All tinted pop up windows with fully integrated roller screens and roller blackout shades
@ Roller screen door
@ Max height is 8′ (can be stored in a garage or even most parking garages)
@ Lots of counter space and cabinet storage space (cabinets are very high quality wood construction, not the typical cheap trailer cabinets)

This Red trailer with its grey trim is a real darling and must be seen to be believed. However, serious inquiries only, please. If you make it yours, expect to be stopped at gas stations, restaurants and markets along your way with curious minds wanting to know all about it. Expect to give a little tour now and then to admiring fellow campers once you get all set up.

This is the perfect trailer for the minimalist couple with perhaps a small dog or two that’s beyond tent camping, is perhaps tired of the hassle involved with pop-ups (I’ve owned two of those) and kinda doesn’t see the sense in hauling around 5,000 pounds with a huge vehicle.

The price is steep for a small travel trailer. However, it’s very unique and out of production. It was $23,000 new and I shopped around. Couldn’t get any dealer to budge on price. So in that respect it’s a deal, if not a collector’s item. It’s only been out a dozen times or so, a few thousand miles of travel.

IMG 0288

IMG 1600

IMG 0593

IMG 1781

tada travel trailer interior 2

~~~

So to the question everyone asks: why are you selling? Beatrice and I have been in the process of a massive life/expense downsizing. She could retire any time, but wishes to keep at it perhaps a couple of more years (her first day with the new batch of 6th graders, today, and she’s excited as can be…still, after 30 years). We’re planning on doing more travel, both camping an international stuff, and for camping regularly rather than 3 times per year, it’s a bit small. We’ll be moving to something slightly bigger (I said “downsizing,” but that’s on average).

1. Steve W on August 21, 2013 at 10:05

Richard, what is the full length. (limited by my driveway) Thanks

2. Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2013 at 10:20

Full length with the tongue is about 19′. When I lived at the lofts in downtown SJ, we had a regular parking spot and a tandem. We had it in the rear of the tandem spot with my X5 in the front spot, without any crowding. It’s about the length of a standard large SUV, like a Suburban.

3. Steve W on August 21, 2013 at 10:38

Thanks – working on the wife…
    (Been a tent camper all my life – but the time has come)

4. Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2013 at 11:01

I get it, Steve.

Especially after having car camped this last weekend, with a cooler. Just like I used to.

• Debbe LaFortune on April 11, 2019 at 15:01

Is your Dutchman TADA still available?

5. CatherineAkaCate on August 21, 2013 at 14:28

Love my Beaver Contessa, but I want a smaller one to ship to Europe. That looks like a great camper for the Pan American highway through Chile also. I sort of like the Mercedes Sprinter for the Europe trip also, but one a couple years old, use it for five months then sell it there.

6. Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2013 at 16:20

CAC

Isn’t that a motor home?

You know, I’ve long tossed about the tradeoffs. My parents have the huge 5th wheel and long bed Ford diesel 250. I get it. But I also get the diesel pusher motor home (I drool at Provost every time) and tow a light SUV, like a CJ or even an Eagle…but I would do an enclosed trailer.

They go camping a dozen times per year and often for a week or more at a time. Makes sense not to go minimal, then.

What say you?

7. CatherineAkaCate on August 21, 2013 at 18:55

Lots of Prevosts (see The Outlaw) at great prices now if you want to full time and visit California….

Pick your state, you know. I love shaving my legs rolling down the highway. Washer dryer, tracking sat.

I like Pushers, but then I have a driver 😉 I just really want something small to tour Europe/ Chile.

I have a car dolly for the X5

8. CatherineAkaCate on August 21, 2013 at 19:00

Oh the best advice I got was

Get a top shelf (Prevost, Beaver, ForeTravel, Country Coach) and then go back to the year in your budget range, for the best price point least depreciation.

9. Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2013 at 19:57

Too cool. And my x-5 is easily the best car I have ever owned (4.3L v8) and I’ve had a lot, including my Hummer phase. True story: I’m at a Rite Aid parking lot in Burney (just where I was this weekend, up in Shasta county, flying). Guy and wife come out, walk past. He looks at me, looks at his wife.

“I want a Hummer.”

“Maybe tonight, honey.”

No shit, as God is my witness. Laf. And it didn’t sound rehearsed in the slightest.

10. Hilda on August 22, 2013 at 06:00

A licence upgrade to drive a coach class vehicle is inevitable.

11. […] looks like the T@DA is sold. Retired Canadian couple making their way down to pick it up, make their way back up. We're going […]

12. Yanni Fyssas on March 23, 2016 at 09:20

Did you end up selling it through the dealership after all or through craigslist?

• Richard Nikoley on March 23, 2016 at 09:53

Dealership on consignment, to nice folks from BC, who drove all the way down to pick it up, to camp along the way, all the way back.

Got a really decent price and even after the dealer’s cut, I pocketed money for what I traded for.

• Yanni Fyssas on March 23, 2016 at 11:01

Do you know what the dealer cut is – for these types of transactions?
      I’m guessing they list for $14,900 – they probably take $1k ? or maybe more?