The Ghost of Spiro Agnew: “Love It Or Leave It” Is a Stupid Bromide and People Should Know Better

In comments yesterday, Spiro Agnew rose from the grave again,
just as he’s been doing several times per day since 1996.

“America, love it or leave
it.”

I’ve never, ever met a single
non-anarchist in 20 years who had the faintest idea where that
bromide originated. Yep: that shitbag, bribe taking USVP to the
shitbag USP, aka Dick “and not in a good way”
Nixon.

I deleted the comment. Two reasons. 1) It
was submitted by a moron wanker well known to me for his moron and
his wanking right out in public. 2) I just don’t entertain woefully
stupid in my comments, anymore; and I’m tired of getting wrapped up
in futile attempts at fixing same.

This
“argument,” always stated Just So, is a
frequent one anywhere and anytime someone complains about
State-backed force and coercion—especially in “The Land of the Free.” Unbeknownst to
its ignorant purveyors, it’s completely incoherent, illogical,
inconsistent, bankrupt and stupid.

I’m in a good
mood—we’re going to see George Lopez
put on a show at Mountain Winery, tonight—so I’ll take a moment to
explain. I want to help. It would be better if you didn’t walk
around making yourself look stupid so easily.

Not necessarily in any
order of importance:

1. Though stated
    as though you do, you don’t really own the
    place;
     as such, you have zero standing to make
    such an admonition or demand of anyone. America, much less planet
    earth, is actually not your living room or
    backyard during a party that’s gotten out of hand.
  2. Nobody died and left you King.
  3. It’s
    incoherent. It’s offered in opposition to an argument or example of
    why force is wrong; it doesn’t address that argument in the
    slightest. It’s non sequitur.
  4. It’s illogical.
    If State force is a good thing, presumably so long as “checked by
    democracy” (see: “Land of the Free“), then make
    that argument.
  5. It’s
    illogical. It actually emphasizes the nature of the problem at
    hand, and to such an extent that its purveyors are perfectly
    willing to stand in for any old common thug and tell you how and
    where to move your ass.
  6. It’s inconsistent.
    Offered as a lame bromide to argue for the democratic status quo,
    it does the opposite by tossing democracy out, appointing one’s
    self as dictator in opposition to anyone who disagrees and is
    trying to persuade—or shame—the voters who democratically elect the
    representatives.
  7. It’s inconsistent. It
    presumes the premise: “Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness”
    America—also often stated as “Life, Liberty, and Property.” But a
    human life requires values (food, shelter, etc.). And that premise
    was never meant to imply that someone had to provide
    those values to anyone,
    but that anyone and everyone had
    a natural right to seek them out through discovery or trade, and
    when secured, direct their disposition. “LEAVE” means: leave
    everything.
  8. It’s bankrupt. Not one single
    human animal has ever chosen the time or place of their birth.
    Animals—and all animals do—seek to survive…and humans
    additionally seek prosperity and
    happiness—NATURALLY. And because humans are
    social animals, they develop social assets beginning from the
    moment a random uncle plucks their cheek (and today, uncles get
    texts—I do). They build social assets throughout life in terms of
    family, friends, acquaintances, networking partners, business
    associates. The value of such assets typically dwarf everything
    material. “LEAVE IT.”
  9. America—indeed every
    country on earth—is by no means, whatsoever, a free country. If you really believe
    that, then I really have no time for you. I don’t do stupid—nor do
    I care about fixing it beyond writing blogs. The argument is about
    freedom; or, to put it another way, demolishing the Zoo
    Human.
    Various Zoo Human cell blocks may be relatively
    better than others, but merely admonishing to “just leave and move
    to another one” simply exposes a failure to grasp anything but
    one’s own impotence—one’s comfort as a Zoo Humanoid, happy to be
    fed & sheltered at the expense of others.
  10. It’s an admission. “Love it or leave it.” “It is what it
    is.” “Don’t worry, be happy,”—or, just leave…because you’re
    crashing my pawnish, content, ignorantly blissful bone.

OK. It’s just really, really fucking stupid.
I’m glad I’ve never uttered it in my life and have always been
embarrassed for those who did in decent company. So, now:
If you ever did, don’t apologize, just don’t do it again. And if
you do it in the future, then you have no excuse for your obvious
display of stupidity.

Please consider being
so guided in life.

1. Ataraxia on August 25, 2013 at 07:34

Nope. I’m too focused on walking up steep slopes to open my mouth.
    Feeling a bit bloody-minded there, daor croí?
    A ‘hey there’ in style:

2. EatLessMoveMoore on August 24, 2013 at 19:32

Just remember that Charles is a high profile Carbsane defector. In these dark times that matters. You know, the old “enemy of my enemy” thing…

3. doogiehowsermd on August 24, 2013 at 19:48

Any philosophy/ideology etc. means nothing until it is explained in terms of physical phenomena. Under this framework, all views of the world reduce to two simple truths: (1) you can do whatever you want. (2) Just remember, so can everyone else.

4. Richard Nikoley on August 24, 2013 at 23:02

ELMM

FWIW, I have never harbored the illusion for even a second that you have the slightest clue as to what Im about, what my values are and how I wield them.

5. Richard Nikoley on August 25, 2013 at 01:04

Doogie

That’s right and that’s why anarchism is the only political viewpoint that’s always logically consistent and whole.

6. LeonRover on August 25, 2013 at 03:08

Hey there, Ataraxia, ain’t ya gonna leap to the defence of Spiros Anagnostopoulos ?

7. LeonRover on August 25, 2013 at 08:09

Κυρία

Hmmm, my Tranquillity is unter meer or even Gone to the Moon.

Daor is expensive, á la Francais trop cher, while dílis croí means sweet heart.

Sammy just maybe has it sussed:

“Or are you not seein things too clear?
    Are you too much in love to hear?
    Is it all goin in one ear and out the other?”

Sláinte

8. LeonRover on August 25, 2013 at 08:32

And the basket case really was AnAgnos . . .

Whereas lovely boyish Malcolm McDowell, was accompanied by

Sláinte

9. Ataraxia on August 25, 2013 at 08:54

Or Jonathan King may have it sussed : “Everyone’s gone to the moon”.
    May you soon recover your αταραξία, καρδιά μου (and thank you for the lesson, ladies like to learn).

10. Ataraxia on August 25, 2013 at 09:13

Yes. Angelic thugs and dystopian governments.

11. Liberty_above_all on August 25, 2013 at 12:02

You’ve put into words a sentiment that I’ve held for quite a while now. No reasonable person will respond to an objection to violence with: “Government – it’s our way, or fuck off of the planet earth.” And then you get an offer to move to Somalia (a place that has been backward for centuries by government, and whose neighbors are even worse off). Yeah, lets look at an African stateless region and neglect Mugabe-style tin-pot dictators abound. /s

12. Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on August 25, 2013 at 12:09

these are very lucid & logical.

but i also remember dear Sean said something similar (“love it or leave it”) to the lovely wooo once. XD

cheers,

ps. “moron wanker” ? XD

13. Joseph Fetz on August 25, 2013 at 15:32

I’m surprised he didn’t tell you to move to Somalia, that’s one I hear pretty often.

14. LeonRover on August 25, 2013 at 23:18

Dear Christ guys:

Every dog-owner says this when puppy training.

In more genteel times, Dubliners often referred to an opponent as ‘piece a’ dog’s vomit’.

Eat it!

Sláinte

15. Ataraxia on August 26, 2013 at 21:08

LeonRover,
    Oh my, one good turn deserves another :
    “I live in the light of the bright silver moon
    I’ll take you off sailing from midnight till noon
    I’ll show you the Sea of Tranquility
    You can have any flavor you happen to see”
    Ataraxia of Epicurus…. wherein the epicurean delights of anarchy and agnosticism lead to tranquility.

16. Contemplationist on August 26, 2013 at 07:41

The real doozy is that it’s likely that the same people who scoff at us free-marketeers calling for people in the marketplace to choose alternative products or services instead of calling for government regulation, are the ones likely using the ‘love it or leave it’ statement. The inconsistency and douchebaggery is too much to tolerate.

17. LeonRover on August 26, 2013 at 08:34

Epicuria,

J o’ King – only the Title – Ah prefers Beastings.

Sláinte

18. LeonRover on August 28, 2013 at 07:04

Gordon but not Gheko, but:

“And little dark holes where the varmints hang out”

I praise him for the tune, which is clearly of Irish/Scottish/English origin transmuted to New Scotland – I could have sung this myself when I occasionally pub-sang.

And who could forget his Edmund Fitzgerald? (Not I, said the Sparrow.)

Just a point: the original Gnostics boasted of secret Gnosis, so Agnostics were agin them & for empirical open Gnosis. (Bring ‘ome t’ Bacon, Lass.)

Sláinte