Given the history, please forgive the gloating over unintended results. It’s N=1, but I’m anxious to hear of other body temperature measurers for those into that (I’m not, even though I’m clinically HypoT). Here’s the comment from CDXLI—who’s been checking body temperature daily since young Matt Stone was in diapers, or thereabouts. I added a few editor comments, as well as a few very skillful edits for drama and effect. You can still link to the original if you think that’s better.

Has anyone noticed improvement in low body temperature using RS? I have hypothyroidism and have checked my temp nearly every day for 20 years. I averaged about 97.5 for a few years then did LC for a few years and temp stayed around 97.1. I switched to VLC [that’s LC dogma for you: double down! –Ed] because LC didn’t seem to be working any more and my temp dropped to 96.8. Not good.

My hypoT prescription was raised yet again but most days, my temp would still barely hit 97. Plus I felt like crap; so I started PHD [Paul Jaminet’s Perfect Health Diet, which I endorse and applaud –Ed]. Safe starches plus plenty of fruits…and I immediately felt better. And guess what? Body temp climbed to an average of 97.2. For the past couple of years, I’ve tried coconut oil, increased activity, herbs, and so on. Absolutely none of these and nothing helped to raise my temp [But did you try REFINED SUGAR? –Ed].

2 weeks ago, I started 4 Tblsp potato starch per day. Within 5 days my temp started to climb daily. I took my temp this morning. It was 98.6.

I. Don’t. Fucking. Believe. It!

It’s been decades since [Uh, like before Matt Stone was born –Ed] I’ve seen that temp. I’ve made no other changes beyond that 4 Tblsp RS. Is this a fluke? Has anyone else noticed this, or checked for body temp changes?

Well, it’s N=1, and so I’m fully prepared if I’m wrong and Matt gets table-turn lafs on me. She’s commented now & then going way back a couple of dozen times, and so that’s my trust/risk equation—it’s not random, out of the blue. But c’mon, how could I really resist? This was like a freshly grilled ribeye to Robinson Crusoe.

Since I’ve been doing this long series on Resistant Starch (here, those who have ‘Matt Stone’ in your Google alerts, the tagged Resistant Starch post in reverse cron order) I keep getting comments like: “Matt Stone did a post on this 4 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Indeed he did. Then he never mentioned it again; until I’ve been doing so, apparently. Instead, in apparent desperation for results at virtually any cost, he went to refined sugar in desperate hopes of getting a “rise” in people.

Anyway. Don’t take the obvious, intentional hype here too seriously. I’m at peace with the fact Matt Stone is out there, and on any given day that you ask me, the first thought that will come to my mind is that if he didn’t exist at all, it would be necessary to invent him.

This is just a poke in the eye for fun, but hoping it sticks.

1. Mart on September 27, 2013 at 11:39

you have way too many abbreviations in your posts Richard. You need a glossary somewhere on your site. And I keep seeing N=1 and don’t know what it means. Sorry for being dumb 🙂

2. La Frite on September 27, 2013 at 11:45

@Mart
    N=1 simply means : “one data point” – a single individual tells his experience, and since it is not a statistical report, just one account, it is shorted in n=1 🙂

3. Mart on September 27, 2013 at 11:58

4. CDLXI on September 27, 2013 at 12:16

I seriously hope more hypo’s try RS. I would love to see others get the same results.

5. Tatertot on September 27, 2013 at 12:56

@461 (I don’t accept Roman Numerology) – Are you planning on trying to reduce your thyroid meds?

6. Richard Nikoley on September 27, 2013 at 12:58

“@461 (I don’t accept Roman Numerology)”

Double take, 1.5 seconds, laf.

7. LeonRover on September 28, 2013 at 03:07

R,

tempt ?

Sláinte

8. bornagain on September 27, 2013 at 14:52

Like I said, I always thought Matt was a bit bonkers. He’s probably done more diets than Oprah!

9. CDLXI on September 27, 2013 at 15:47

Tatertot, why the roman numerology prejudice?

I will be going in for blood work in a few weeks (every 6 months) so I will see what the Dr. says. I’m over my hardheadedness with experimenting RX dosage mixed with the newest will cure your thyroid elixir, lesson learned.

10. Brad on September 27, 2013 at 19:53

OK, so who the hell is Matt Stone and why should I care?

11. LeonRover on September 27, 2013 at 22:23

Tatertot,

CDLXI is 10 degrees hotter than Ray.

Sláinte

12. JP on September 27, 2013 at 22:53

Stone’s Eat for Heat book is plain awful. He takes a few possible half-truths and strings them into a bizarre theory/eating plan that includes meals like cheeseburgers and Pepsi (I kid you not). Sorry, but the whole diet/nutrition thing is still largely about macronutrients, micronutrients, eating real food, disease-prevention, etc. It doesn’t all come down to semi-dehydrating yourself and eating your favorite comfort foods (pancakes, pizza, etc.) to raise your temp a couple of degrees. For kicks, I actually gave the diet a try during the holidays last year (when I was eating whatever I wanted) and my temp didn’t budge…though my scale did.

Brad: no, you shoudn’t care. It’s nothing but a time-wasting rabbit trail, and Stone and his cult will probably cause you needless irritation.

13. JP on September 27, 2013 at 23:01

For the record, I’m not arguing against CDXLI’s or RS. I’m not even in the paleo camp and am a fan of RS. I’m just expressing my views on Stone and his ever-morphing views on diet (which has gone from Ray Peat to RBTI to some buffet-gorging nut calling himself “Chief Rock,” etc.)

14. La Frite on September 28, 2013 at 01:47

Nothing’s written in (Matt) Stone …

15. R on September 28, 2013 at 02:57

@ CDLXI – Okay, as I told you in the other comment section, I’m several days into taking RS (4 days now), so I don’t have a base number before starting RS so we’ll see if anything changes from this point forward. Also, for the record, I am hypo as well.

My tempt this morning is 98.3 .

16. R on September 28, 2013 at 03:23

LR,

What can I say, I had a ‘hot’ dream last night. 😛

17. LeonRover on September 28, 2013 at 04:57

R,

Don’t tell Matt, he could become unStoned.

Sláinte

18. Richard Nikoley on September 28, 2013 at 07:45

LR

Great find. I still remember it from a time you posted that before. Don’t make ’em like they used to.

19. Jscott on September 28, 2013 at 13:11

@leon

“It would be worse for you to have never been stoned than to have been stoned and become unstoned.”
    Let us Lament and cross ourselves.

20. LeonRover on September 28, 2013 at 14:08

Jscott,

And by the same token,

“Tis worser to have loved and lost. Than never to have loved at all.”

Ginsberg vs Tennyson.

Sláinte

21. Pauline on September 29, 2013 at 12:01

Is it wiser to have lost a stone, or never to have stoned in the first place, or better still to have stoned and lost while knowing that you can enjoy stone and lose again. I say keep Stoning, Losing and whatever keeps you happy. A stone equals British weight of 14 pounds – you decide – better to have stoned and lost I say!

22. LeonRover on September 29, 2013 at 13:32

No tern unstoned.

No stern untoned.

23. Spanish Caravan on September 29, 2013 at 17:40

Guys, wow, I’m feeling some heat in my body that I never felt before. It’s like something ignited in me. Also, I noticed I’m sweating more and the bottom of my feet is sweating again. They’re moist. I never felt my feet sweat in like 3 years. I’m only hoping that this lasts. It does sound too good to be true! Right now I’m only on 2 tbsps. of potato starch, morning and night. What on earth did you come up, Richard? This stuff is unreal! I mean, this solves what Selenium, Iodine and all other supplements that I’ve been taking couldn’t do. One downside though: ever since I stopped sweating, I would only takes a shower every other day. Now I can’t, it seems. So I had better lather up before going to work tomorrow.

24. […] my jab at Matt Stone the other day was all in good fun. No ill will intended, delicious all the […]

25. tatertot on October 7, 2013 at 11:57

The latest from Matt Stone…just had to share. Stuff like this just makes me shake my head.

26. John on October 10, 2013 at 10:01

Matt Stone just seems to be all over the place. I tend to think he’s right about low metabolism and thyroid issues being a big issue is becoming overweight. I also agree that agressive or improperly implemented calorie deficiets can often do more harm than good, when it comes to losing weight. And I can even see how eating beyond satiety, avoiding exercise, and getting as much rest as possible could be a good, even essential, short term strategy to improve weight and health. But articles like the one you referenced and ideas like gorging on anything without paying attention to the foods that could be very problematic just seem bizzare and reckless.

And yet, right around the same time of the post you mention, I saw that this was posted, which is one of the most lucid things I’ve read about the role of calorie- .

It’s almost like the site should be called 237 Degree Health, cause it’ll send you on a course that may or may not be somewhat better or worse that what you doing before, but hell, it will be different!

27. CDXX on December 13, 2013 at 12:00

CDXX I’m Stoned

28. Ann on December 13, 2013 at 13:15

You guys realize, don’t you, that every time you link to Matt Stone’s site, it’s asking us to give our email address before we can even access the page?

I, for one, do not wish to pay in email for information I’m only going to ridicule…

29. […] I put this out there on September 27, 2013: Note To Matt Stone aka Body Temp “Guru”: You’re In Short Pants; and, You’re Welcome. […]