US Police Have Killed Over 5,000 Civilians Since 9/11

Story.

Though Americans commonly believe law enforcement’s role in society is to protect them and ensure peace and stability within the community, the sad reality is that police departments are often more focused on enforcing laws, making arrests and issuing citations. As a result of this as well as an increase in militarized policing techniques, Americans are eight times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist, estimates a Washington’s Blog report based on official statistical data.

Though the U.S. government does not have a database collecting information about the total number of police involved shootings each year, it’s estimated that between 500 and 1,000 Americans are killed by police officers each year. Since 9/11, about 5,000 Americans have been killed by U.S. police officers, which is almost equivalent to the number of U.S. soldiers who have been killed in the line of duty in Iraq.

Now hurry. What are you waiting for? Arrange an election and vote your way right out of that disgrace.

Right? Isn’t that how it works? Isn’t it foolproof? Or, is it that you believe yourself to be at less risk of being a victim, and so you turn a blind eye to the plight of those less fortunate?

1. phreebie on November 24, 2013 at 11:01

Just saw this too:

Businessman arrested for loitering, carrying legal gun on own property

2. Matt on November 24, 2013 at 09:47

“When I check the rearview mirror and see a cop following close behind me, I feel happy and relaxed, since I am as safe as I can possibly be and the cop will prevent bad things from happening to me.” – No One Ever

3. bornagain on November 24, 2013 at 10:55

Anyone know how many cops are killed by civilians?

4. Richard Nikoley on November 24, 2013 at 11:15

I will NEVER understand this knee-jerk propensity to laziness. In the time it took to type “Anyone know how many cops are killed by civilians?” you could have typed “how many cops killed in line of duty per year” and then you could have come here and actually contributed rather than beg others to do your work for you. Lazy ass.

Here, for 2013. Total of 92, but only 30-40 I would say look to be an actual killing by civilians. So, 416 killed by them per year, to 40ish killed by us. They are 10 times more lethal to us than we are to them.

Line of Duty Deaths: 92
    Struck by vehicle: 6
    Training accident: 2
    Vehicle pursuit: 2
    Vehicular assault: 5

Read more: http://www.odmp.org/search/year#ixzz2lakH4S2t

5. phreebie on November 24, 2013 at 19:50

Hey! That’s not really fair. Perhaps he can’t afford to pay the subscription for a google account. Oh wait.

6. bornagain on November 24, 2013 at 22:08

Thanks Richard. BTW, around 15,000 civilians were murdered by other civilians in the US in 2012. More than the cops have killed. BTW my ideal target for deaths by cop killings is zero. I’d rather negotiate with a criminal than a cop if guns were involved.

7. Richard Nikoley on November 24, 2013 at 22:26