Ok, Give Thanks. But Thank Yourself First.

So today, when everyone is doing their level best to grovel, just remember that if you didn’t get up and give it a shot each and every day up until now, there would be nobody to thank and nothing to be thankful for.

…Oh, and that great meal? Consider thanking the folks who actually made it happen, from ranchers and farmers, to butchers, distributors, and markets. And of course, the friends and family who sourced it, cooked it up, and brought everyone together to enjoy it.

Or, you could thank your imaginary friend instead. Up to you.

Happy Thanksgiving. And thanks for reading Free the Animal.

1. Earl Cannonbear on November 28, 2013 at 10:12

“Or, you could thank your imaginary friend instead. Up to you”

I will thank the intelligent designer who created the Turkey, and you can thank your random, unguided, mindless and ultimately meaningless process.

2. Wenchypoo on November 28, 2013 at 11:03

But thanks to you, my husband is eating REAL MASHED POTATOES with his turkey and gravy today. I tried an N=1 experiment with different types of resistant starch, and potato (Bob’s) won out, while tapioca starch had the complete opposite effect on him (shot him up 40 points).

I happened to catch your article about it through the Paleo Rodeo, and gave it a whirl. Thank you.

3. Richard Nikoley on November 28, 2013 at 15:10

Earl

Laf. Whatever floats your boat man.

Happy holidays. I’m thankful I got under your skin a bit. 🙂

4. Richard Nikoley on November 28, 2013 at 15:19

Wench 🙂

Love it. I love to help when I can.

5. MsMcGillicuddy on November 28, 2013 at 15:52

“No man is an island, entire of itself…any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”

6. Rambo Thompson on November 28, 2013 at 17:03

Earl,

The fact that a turkey – or anything else for that matter – is an actual, comprehensible thing (as opposed to what, a homogeneous “primordial ooze”, or a contradiction in terms?) is not proof of a designer. What else could reality be but what it is? What exists? That doesn’t prove God, it proves the axioms of existence and identity.

Oh, and yes, that counts for consciousness too. It’s not some kind of miraculous coincidence that not only are things comprehensible, but that they’re comprehensible by our consciousness. If our consciousnesses couldn’t comprehend what’s real, they wouldn’t be real, and they wouldn’t be what they are.

There is no God. Just accept it.

7. EatLessMoveMoore on November 28, 2013 at 20:04

Wasn’t the first Thanksgiving actually in the Bible?

8. Woodchuck Pirate on November 29, 2013 at 09:32

Thank you Richard.

I accepted an invitation to my wife’s large family dinner and was treated to a wonderful feast. I’ve been without a kitchen since June per my ongoing home renovations. Consequently, I felt like a kid again, what with all they set before me. Words can’t express how much this moved curmudgeonly me. The experience reminds me of how beneficial it will be when civilization is returned to simple living.

Woodchuck Pirate