Success Story: Tim Steele (Tatertot)

You ‘ve known him from dozens of posts about resistant starch and the many comments. Perhaps you saw his hunting and fishing success here.

IMG 1146
  Moose in the garden
fish
Halibut, Bass and Goldeneyes

But here’s what he looked like in 2009 at over 230 pounds.

Timbefore
Tim Before
tj
Tim After

I think he clocks in at about 160 pounds, now. Also, from very bad blood glucose regulation in the pre-diabetic or solidly diabetic ranges, to normal.

Good thing he keeps it very low carb and especially, no starches of any kind. 😉

This will serve as my last post for 2013. Totally fitting, if you ask me. The value of Tim’s collaboration over most of this year has, to my mind, changed many things about this blog, many things about my approach to it. All good. May 2014 be very interesting and I say that having some idea of just how interesting it’s going to be. Here’s a clue, with 15 hours yet to go in the year.

Free the Animal 2013 Visits and Page View Stats
Free the Animal 2013 Visits and Page View Stats

Happy New Year.

1. Ellen on December 31, 2013 at 17:18

You guys are the best! I simply don’t know how to say how grateful I am for all your work. and I don’t even think I need to wish you well because I am sure that what you have done must bring you immeasurable happiness.

2. Mario on December 31, 2013 at 09:14

Congrats to you, Tim, for the progress you made on your personal journey to health!

Congrats and tons of gratitude to you both, for the invaluable information you have put out there on resistant starches. ZERO exaggeration, resistant starches have been a life changer for me. Thank you so much!

Health and happiness for both of you and all the readers here for 2014 and thereon!

3. Charlie on December 31, 2013 at 09:37

Ditto Mario…

Cheers to you all!

4. William Weedon on December 31, 2013 at 09:38

congrats, Tim, and thanks to you and Richard for all the helpful research and insights. Blog on, Richard, and have a great New Year.

5. gabriella kadar on December 31, 2013 at 12:48

I want one of them red fish.

Congratulations everyone and may 2014 be a stellar year for all.

What I’m wondering about is how come when people lose weight their hair goes gray? Probably even getting ‘better health’ is a stressor. That’s your next challenge Richard: how to lose weight and keep hair colour. 🙂

6. gabriella kadar on December 31, 2013 at 12:50

Oh btw, half of those page views was me.

What a bitch, eh?

7. Tree on December 31, 2013 at 14:16

Happy New Year! I am grateful to both your’s and Tim’s work. Slowly I see progress, and friends do too! Looking forward to 2014

8. bornagain on December 31, 2013 at 14:40

Yay Tim! If you ever need it, I’d lend you my ass. That’s how thankful I am to you and Angry Dick!

9. jim on December 31, 2013 at 16:22

I’m sure all that wild game helps! Congrats! RS 2014!

10. Resurgent on December 31, 2013 at 19:05

Healthy and happy 2014 to all here…!

11. Brian on December 31, 2013 at 20:40

All the best to you both. Excited to see where we all take this in 2014. I need to buy PS stock!

12. nopavement on January 1, 2014 at 06:25

Congratulations Tim! You look awesome! You are an inspiration! 160 is my goal for 2014, so thank you for showing us the way. Thank you for all of the valuable info on PS, it is improving my life as we speak. I may have missed it, but could you give more info on your weight loss techniques?

Best in 2014.

13. Pamela on January 1, 2014 at 06:32

Tim, thank you for all you’ve done – and continue to do – to research RS and share your findings and hypotheses.

I’ve been consuming fermented veggies, kefir and (on and off) probiotics for some years. While they’ve been helpful with digestion, starting the RS routine three or four months ago (2~4 T PS/day, with occasional substitution of mung bean starch for PS) and taking Probiotics 3 daily lifted things to a whole new level. While the changes I’ve experienced haven’t been as dramatic as some I’ve read about here, they’ve been significant – consistently better digestion, improved mood, steadier energy level. Besides the overall benefits of healthy gut flora, I’m looking to get rid of a suspected case of SIBO. While I think you and Richard are right that RS can eventually take care of that, I plan to do a little “weeding” a la Grace soon.

I’m grateful for all I’ve learned from you . . . and from Richard and Grace and so many commenters here.

14. Ray on January 1, 2014 at 07:50

That’s so awesome… What I would like to see is the progression of what you did to achieve that level of leanness and health.

Low Carb, Paleo, then adding RS, the progression of diets/techniques you used……for those of us who are still working towards a goal.

Thanks, and congrats!

15. Eloy on January 1, 2014 at 11:29

Have a Resistant 2014 you all! Cheers!

16. bornagain on January 2, 2014 at 02:35

Does anyone know how much Art Devany’s glutathione supplement Guardian costs? I suspect it will be more than a few bags of potato starch.

17. Mike on January 2, 2014 at 03:44

There’s low GI (53) potato here in Australia called Carisma and as far as I can tell it’s due to RS. Should be available in Europe too. We also have a high RS barley called BARLEYmax. But it’s barley.

PS was amazing for me initially…
    Then a multiple day-long headache even with SBOs (reminded me of the headache I woke up to the one time I took GABA), constant gas and no more rad dreams. I kept at it for a few weeks though because the headache never returned.

After reading about the 2x4tbps/day guy I tried upping the dose (our tbsp = 20ml so 2x3tbps/day) just to see what would happen, as I’m pretty sure a microbiome holocaust (also a great metal band name) took place in my gut due to the mucus-be-gone effect of Accutane in my teens (+10 years of side effects). No noticeable difference though. I’m guessing white potatoes aren’t kind to me since dairy has a similar great-to-shit timeline. TMI and increased body temperature (I nearly boil alive with anything more than sheet at night) have stuck around so far without PS. Gonna try green banana flour instead.

P.S. Any merit to the idea of dumping the contents of the probiotic capsule into the glass of RS + water and letting them party together for a bit?

18. Lanie on January 2, 2014 at 06:57

Richard – I PMed you on facebook but it went to your “other” folder – could you please read it? It has to do with a possible issue related to RS – wanted to run it by you before I posted about it on my own blog. Thanks.

19. The Natural on January 2, 2014 at 19:54

@Richard,
    Thank you for this nice write-up on Tim. Fitting that you bid farewell to 2013 with this article on Tim because IMO 2013 was the year of Tatertop!!!

Now my wish for 2014 is for you to team up with Tim and Dr. Grace to write a book on this cutting edge and game changing stuff. Think about it- you have all the ingredients to a best seller:
    the game changing cheap supplements, the recipes, the proper cooking methods, the scoop on the poop, the gut bugs and fungi, the gut-skin-brain-walt-disney connection, the testimonials.. Right there you got 7 chapters already.
    Please, please hurry up and do this BEFORE one of those knucklehead know-nothing bozos take it and run with it- their ignorance and complete lack of in-depth knowledge not withstanding.

Here’s a title suggestion for your future best selling book on RS and Gut Bugs!

The Scoop on Your Poop
    by Richard Nikoley
    Co-authored by Tim Steele and Dr. Grace

BTW, I am dead serious about this.
    T-Nat

• Richard Nikoley on January 2, 2014 at 20:51

T-Nat

I’m not in a position to talk about plans, but you have nothing to worry about.

• The Natural on January 2, 2014 at 21:04

Cool…look forward!

• Spanish Caravan on January 2, 2014 at 22:33

Sounds all good and there’s more than enough substance to RS. But the problem is, it does sound too good to be true. That’s the problem. We’ve had all kinds of salesmen hawking snake oil. RS is legit but how can you market something that will solve hyperglycemia, insomnia, low body temperature, and constipation? That’s some continuum.

As good as LDN is, some people, including doctors, don’t buy it because it sounds too good to be true. You mean LDN works for all autoimmune diseases and even cancer? I won’t believe it until there’s a triple-blind, placebo- and nocebo-controlled, NIH sponsored clinical trial.

And I’ve yet to mention the possibility that RS could have a palliative effect similar to medical marijuana by inducing euphoria. It is exactly what that is: an endorphin-induced high that could be effective for easing the suffering of the terminally ill.

Literally, this thing can be all things to all people, which turns serious people off, who regard it as another Super Green Algae. If this thing was proprietary and patentable, people will go after it like going for Texas tea. Unfortunately, it’s too cheap, too plentiful, and too good.

20. gabriella kadar on January 3, 2014 at 07:21

Spanish, low dose naltrexone appears to work well for active Crohn’s disease. There have been several studies completed and the drug is now in phase III trials for use in Crohn’s.

There are GI specialists here in Toronto prescribing it.

No studies yet on RS and Crohn’s.

• Spanish Caravan on January 3, 2014 at 11:35

There may be GI specialists but I am not sure if they’re board-certified. LDN remains the purview of naturopaths and alternative practitioners. The problem here is, if a drug passes clinical trials, you’ll have pretty pharmaceutical rep’s hounding your doctor’s office, whoring around. You don’t with LDN. All you have is a compound pharmacy down in Florida who might benefit from it to the tune of 10 cents per pill. That ain’t a hill of beans, I’ll tell ya that much Gabriella. I hear things may be different in Canada and I love Toronto. But LDN is hardly mainstream and many efforts to turn LDN into mainstream therapy have failed. Doctors still pooh-pooh it, likening it to taking baking soda or apple cider vinegar.

The problem is not lack of efficacy. It’s called marketing. Doctors won’t give it the time of the day if it doesn’t come through proper channels. Endangering their board certification and insurance reimbursement are the last thing they want to do.

21. Brad on January 3, 2014 at 12:01

Love that moose story and pic. Hey anyone know where I can find Tater’s numbers when he BG tested Bob’s RM tapioca flour? We’re testing another brand that is supposedly casava STARCH and I want to compare the numbers. thanks!

• Brad on January 3, 2014 at 12:25

Nevermind. I got em’.
      Congrat’s to Tim and you Richard. Making some history I think and influencing people all over the globe.

22. Resistant Starch: Follow Up and Discussion | Against The Grain on February 18, 2014 at 23:08

[…] asked Richard Nikoley for his take on all this.  He and “Tatortot Tim” have  been spearheading the RS movement, and are in the process of writing a book together […]