Tahoe Travel, Food Pics, a Book, and The Quintessential Major Award

Headed up to South Lake Tahoe end of last week for three nights. Not a bad view.

IMG 2111

That was at the brand new The Landing Resort & Spa. So new, in fact, that we were there on opening day and were the very first guests to check in. My valet ticket was 0002.

The owner is Greek and so naturally, the restaurant is Jimmy’s. They weren’t quite prepared to open that first night, but we were on hand the next night for their opening under a limited menu. Bea and I shared all three dishes.

IMG 2114
Some kind of squash soup with an Indian spice & cinnamon flair
IMG 2115
Grilled Octopus with Leek, Capers, Chickpeas, Lemon Oregano Vinaigrette, Greek Olive Oil
IMG 2116
Wood grilled Loup de Mar

Guess what? Denise Minger’s book is finally done: Death by Food Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health. My copy has arrived. She’s next for a review, after I get to John Durant’s book, and then Chris Kresser’s.

IMG 2118

Here’s Denise’s own blog post about finally finishing it.

I made gluten free French toast this Christmas morning as a special treat. Can’t even recall the last time.

• 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1 TBS butter
  • 1 TBS honey
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 cup tripple sec (orange zest will work too)
  • 4 slices of bread

Put the butter & honey in first, nuke to soften, mix everything else in together, dump in a baking dish and let your bead soak up for about 30 seconds per side. I cooked it in the same fry pan I cooked the bacon in. Drained the fat leaving just the coating and the bacon residue, then added an additional pat of butter.

Finish off with a pat of butter on each slice, toped with pure Canadian maple syrup that you’ve heated (I nuked 1/2 cup for 45 seconds and that was perfect).

IMG 2121

Finally, we had Christmas eve dinner at the house of good friends last night who served excellent cornish game hen with wonderfully crispy skin. I didn’t get a picture of that, unfortunately, but I did of their Major Award.

IMG 2119

I’m told it’s fra-gee-lay. That’s Italian.

OK, have a nice Christmas holiday with your family. Bea & I are headed off to visit some family for a few, then it’s the rest of the afternoon seeing Scorsese’s The Wolf of Wall Street. It’s 3 hours!!! The last time I saw a Christmas day movie in the theater was actually Scorsese’s The Gangs of New York. I’m expecting no less of a spectacle.

1. gabriella kadar on December 25, 2013 at 13:18

I’m totally jealous. I ordered 5 copies of Denise’ book. Crossing my fingers the box will be at the office next week.

The fish looks good too.

2. Shameer Mulji on December 25, 2013 at 15:24

Don’t forget the French Toast. Still salivating

3. gabriella kadar on December 25, 2013 at 16:59

Nah Shameer, I really wonder what Richard’s blood glucose is after eating the French toast with maple syrup. Looks great, tastes great…………but, well? I’ll stick with the fish and the octopus (?)….. man where are the tenticles? That looks more like cuttlefish.

4. Richard Nikoley on December 25, 2013 at 19:14

I measured 200 about 30 minutes after. At an hour, less, like 180.

Not something I do often, so I really wasn’t dissapointed that PS is apparently not an absolute shield (I took 4 TBS about 2 hours prior).

5. gabriella kadar on December 25, 2013 at 19:29

Ouch.

Was that really octopus or was it cuttlefish? Both are great. But usually when I eat Grilled octopus at the Greek it’s arms. LOVE them.

6. gabriella kadar on December 25, 2013 at 19:30

Or legs…………………what do Octopi have? Arms or legs?

7. John on December 26, 2013 at 02:44

I imagine your sugars would have spiked worse without the RS.

8. gabriella kadar on December 26, 2013 at 07:11

According to the Mayo Clinic website the answer is yes.

Excess glucose is toxic to the brain. It causes vasodilation and emotional irritability. Skin conditions like Rosacea get much redder when blood sugar levels are high. I see this with my patients who are not keeping good control. They are very highly reactive over things that would not ordinarily result in such reactions. Unfortunately the further along they are in regards to lack of diet control, the less likely they are to respond positively to suggestions of dietary and lifestyle changes.

9. Spanish Caravan on December 26, 2013 at 10:48

v, most diabetic die from thrombosis-related issues (stroke, myocardial infarction). Depends on how high your BG is but if your A1c is >10, your HDL is not likely to work well, since your blood is literally full of sugar and gunk and become sticky. It causes thrombosis even in people with low CVD risk versus those with similar risk but without high BG. That’s why diabetics are prescribed dozen medications: blood pressure medications, statins, blood thinners, diabetic medications, insulin mimetics, insulin. So the downside of having high BG is well-documented and diabetic or not, we should try to keep our BG

Having said that, we have a Blood Sugar Mafia made up of low-carbers who claim that any BG reading above 110 is deleterious for heart disease, causes diabetes and Alzheimer’s etc. That’s their whole rationale for going into extreme diets like ketosis. These people have been thoroughly refuted: the best A1c bracket for longevity is actually from 5.0-5.4, not 4.0-4.5, as these people claim. 4.3 is really too low, as that evinces you’re episodically hypoglycemic. The Blood Sugar Mafia confuses the FBG of 83 as the overall, desirable BG mean to be reflected in HbA1c. That’s not so, as your post-prandials will always be higher than the fasting. And most healthy non-diabetic do not suffer from hypoglycemia, which lowers A1cs but is not really healthy. I’d say the ideal A1c bracket for BG is something like 4.7-5.2. That’s an average blood sugar reading of 95-102.

10. Spanish Caravan on December 27, 2013 at 18:11

v if your 1H postprandial is 115, I don’t see how your A1c isn’t lower than 5.3. Your OGTT test shows that your’re somewhat a late responder; your insulin secretion is dilatory, one step behind. Usually that’s a sign of prediabetes, even at 5.3, not full-blown but incipient. The only way you can tell is get fasting BG, fasting C-Peptide, then get your postprandial BG and postprandial C-Peptide. Both should be elevated if you’re prediabetic and have some insulin resistance.

Jennry Ruhl’s 120 and 140 limits are good guides for keeping your BG under control by limiting carb intake. However, her point that your pancreatic beta cells lose functinoality starting at 110 has been refuted; they’re not “lost” — they can be revived. In fact, I believe through RS, they can be brought back to life and become insulin sensitive. That’s exactly what these people are discovering. All that would take is test C-Peptide but surprisnigly, that’s very hard to do, as it is merely a matter of intellectual curiosity for endocrinologists; it has no treatment value.

11. gabriella kadar on December 28, 2013 at 05:48

v, your justification for dismissing RS is similar to someone taking an antibiotic with a concentrated cholera chaser and wondering why the antibiotic didn’t work. Or never drinking a glass of wine because the other guy died of cirrhosis after drinking 2 bottles of vodka every day for 15 years.

Most of the people with type 2 diabetes have been doing their best to keep their HgA1c in good range but despite everything, it’s not good enough. They are not bolus dosing on sugar along with the RS.

There was an abandoned study some years ago where type 2 diabetics were put on ‘tight control’. Drugs and insulin were used. Alarmingly a number of participants dropped dead. Quite possibly the use of RS as an adjunct is a better option.

12. Spanish Caravan on December 28, 2013 at 09:38

v, Jenny Ruhl has good ideas on BG control but her ideas have been passe for years now. She understands the way to keep your BG low by controlling carb intake. That’s it. She’s clueless about maintaining BG control by making you more insulin-sensitive. She does not understand the idea of physiological insulin resistance, how long-term low-carbing will actually result in IR and becomes a wash when eating 100-150 grams of safe starches that heightens insulin sensitvity and brings down your fasting.

The reason for her stymie is that she subscribes to the old theory that if you breach 110, then beta cells burn out, then your C-Peptide gets lowered, and you need to eventually be on insulin. That’s not the case and it’s been proven otherwise. Jenny has a lot of catching up to do if she wants to impart cutting edge knowledge to her followers, who are all low carbers. At this point, like Dr. Bernstein, she is an out and out one-trick pony.

The reason she failed to evolve is because she has not looked past the confines of low-carbing for BG control. If you don’t incorporate aspects of insulin sensitivity to your eating regimen, you know only one way: cut the carbs. That is a solution but is not the optimal solution for most diabetics, who scerete insulin at varying levels. Someone with more discernment can implement much better methods of BG control given what we know now.

13. gabriella kadar on December 28, 2013 at 10:13

Spanish, isn’t the HgA1c a better indicator than any one random glucose testing value?

14. Richard Nikoley on December 28, 2013 at 16:49

I’ve come to conclude that Art, as much as I love him and he got me started in all of this, is a dis-integrator, not an integrator.

I look at the big picture. It’s a Yin-Yang thing. We evolved with all sorts of technically adverse stimuli when looked at in isolation. Dose makes the poison and I firmly believe it’s poison as much as nutrition that evolved us as we are.

Plus, Art only raises the issue of hormesis when it suits him.

15. gabriella kadar on December 28, 2013 at 18:17

v, you are nagging.

16. gabriella kadar on December 29, 2013 at 06:17

s’okay v, your heart’s in the right place.

17. gabriella kadar on December 29, 2013 at 06:21

….just thinking……. okay, so breast milk contains bacteria via the mother’s lymph circulation from the intestines????????? Then the same can be said for raw cow milk as well. Which means, basically, that people who think that ‘regular’ milk is full of ‘pus’ and other nonsense which is neutralized via pasteurization and prefer raw milk because supposedly the farmers are more careful with their cows, this is full of bs thinking.

I am not pro or con raw milk. Just was wondering about this theoretizing in re: to human breast milk and populating the gut biome of babies.

On another note: eat real cheese…………http://aem.asm.org/content/68/8/3691.full Lots of different types of bacteria apparently.

18. Dr. Curmudgeon Gee on January 7, 2014 at 12:43

mmm, i wonder if many people are “pre-pre-diabetic”