“Can you coordinate the dance of your body’s 100 trillion microorganisms?”

Simply amazing, remarkable, must watch TEDMED. Astounding.

I can quibble, because I think that the best way to get your microbiome sorted is to arm your allies against your enemy. However, the presentation is remarkable for how he shows pretty well how very amazingly complex it is.

And yes, that is the general thread of our book. It only has but a single chapter on resistant starch.

Here’s an article about the presenter in The Atlantic.

1. tatertot on January 28, 2014 at 20:11

Man, I’d love to feed this guy some RS. He seemed almost proud that he did 1 month of antibiotics.

• Hodgepodge on January 28, 2014 at 20:17

There must be a way to get him your info. Given his attitude about science, the medical profession and the gut biome, I can’t see him not giving it a shot. Then he can plot the results on his uber display and do a follow-up talk. If there are changes 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on January 28, 2014 at 21:44

Yea, it’s funny how people don’t realize there’s a 3 billion year history of antibiotics, highly targeted.

FYI, I’m editing a chapter now called “Chemical Warfare,” and it’s not about our antibiotics.

• Richard Nikoley on January 28, 2014 at 21:45

I’ll endeavor to make contact with the guy tomorrow.

• Resurgent on January 28, 2014 at 23:22

Cannot agree more…!
      PLUS 100 – “He seemed almost proud that he did 1 month of antibiotics.”
      This defines the problem with medicine today.
      Let us wait and see if Richard can make contact with him and how he will react to the work you guys have done.

• sootedninjas on January 29, 2014 at 00:25

yeah I know. being geeky and all, did he not figure it out that antibiotics will kill bacterias indiscriminately. unless the antibiotic has some kind of laser guided mechanism built into it. :facepalm

• Hodgepodge on January 29, 2014 at 09:52

I think it would be enlightening to him to compare his gut bugs with that of tatertot. Sure, it’s n=1 stuff, but I think it would be compelling information nonetheless.

2. Bill on January 28, 2014 at 21:50

Looking at Larry, he seems to have a lot of inflammation, especially in his face. Not a good sign. I’ll give his presentation and other work work time tomorrow, as you are recommending Richard. Robert Lustig has that same puffy inflamed look. Although I completely agree with his “sugar is poison” mantra.

Keep em coming.

3. Dave123 on January 29, 2014 at 03:24

Just be careful how much resistant starch you eat or this may happen :

Slightly off topic but thought you would enjoy it 🙂

4. gabriella kadar on January 29, 2014 at 03:29

You guys read this last year, right? There’s plenty of pubmed for it too. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/may/07/antibiotics-cure-back-pain-patients

Seems when some people get a herniated disc, since the blood flow is not good and inflammation persistant, Propionesbacteria can infect the area and then cause damage to the vertebrae. 100 days of Clavulin appears to clear it up. Back since the 1980s there was consideration that persistent degenerative back problems like this were bacterial infections. It took several years for the researchers to prove that indeed the bacteria is present.

Unfortunately, of course, Clavulin knocks out a lot of gut bacteria, but I’m sure if someone has the choice between severe debilitating back pain which does not resolve with all the usual treatment modalities including surgery, then the trade off is a calculated risk. They can get onto all sorts of pro- and pre- biotics afterwards to re-establish a normal gut microbiome.

I think what’s inside the gut is different because we can make direct application of probiotics and prebiotics. But the inside of a herniated disc and inside of a vertebra presents an access issue.

• Tatertot on January 29, 2014 at 10:43

Gab – I think there is a plae for antibiotics, and they aren’t the end of the world. ut bugs can adapt and regrow. What needs a huge focus us the regrowing part. People just get round after round for years and years with no thought to regrowing gut bugs. That’s the real crime.

Hope we can get hold of this guy, with his resources, we’d have it all figured out in no time.

I found another thing I want for Chrismas, too. A pill you an swallow that transmits temp and pH as it traverses your system. I am 100% poistive that so much of what we are seeing with RS is simply due to it’s pH lowering ability.

5. gabriella kadar on January 29, 2014 at 04:08

I watched this guy’s previous lecture to high school students, January 2013. Then he said he had Crohn’s. By May 2013, he’d changed his mind, sort of.

Richard, I’m pretty sure this guy would go in for a ‘look see’ with RS and even SBO probiotics. He’s just that sort of person and if he did this protocol, he’ll have something to talk about. He loves to talk.

• Gemma on January 29, 2014 at 06:01

@Richard

I am glad my — RS reinforced — gut feeling told me right that you would see the significance of this. Have you done your google due diligence? …”one of the most influential computer scientists in the United States…” etc? He has acccess to the tools. You have access to the countless inquisitive minds of us, e.g. people/patients who desperately want that clever medicine and clever doctors finally work for us and our health.

6. Colleen on January 29, 2014 at 08:35

Check out the slides for an October talk he did at Slideshare for more information and where he is going with this. Just started checking out your site a few weeks ago to learn about RS, RS and this whole microbiome topic is really interesting to me. I really enjoyed the Latest in Paleo podcast and looking forward to your book.

7. Gemma on January 29, 2014 at 12:21
    • Colleen on January 29, 2014 at 13:02

8. David on January 29, 2014 at 16:30

Fascinating. I really hope you manage to get in touch with him Richard.

The article was also very interesting. Seeming to predict the fall of Big Pharm in the not too distant future. We can all look forward to that. Maybe need to invest in some of those startups he mentioned in the video…

9. jason on January 31, 2014 at 07:33

Was just looking around the web for hypertension stuff as I struggle with it still and came across some pill that had some weird ingredient. I looked that up on google and got the wiki on it. It is a fungus and the relate-able part for here is how its parasitic action effects its host;

Some current and former Cordyceps species are able to affect the behaviour of their insect host: Ophiocordyceps unilateralis (formerly Cordyceps unilateralis) causes ants to climb a plant and attach there before they die. This ensures the parasite’s environment is at an optimal temperature and humidity, and that maximal distribution of the spores from the fruiting body that sprouts out of the dead insect is achieved.

I find this fascinating when you consider our 100 trillion microbes (including yeasts/fungi). Makes you wonder what we really are; just a life support system for our gut bugs? Add in the the gut-brain axis and are we even who we think we are.

• Martha on January 31, 2014 at 11:10

Jason, I love this kind of stuff too. My daughter gave me a book on ants, Journey to the Ants, and it is just one bizarre and unbelievable story after the other. Book is by Bert Holldobler and Edward O. Wilson. Science fiction pales compared to actual bug-life.