Take It It All On Faith Like the Bible Tells You, Duh!

I’m so thankful on this TGIF that God made us with 100 trillion cells in our guts (and about a trillion on our skin) that outnumber our own cells 10-1, and their genes to ours, 125-1. Given that the bacteria and yeasts in the gut all give off various chemicals, and there are up to 1,000 different species of them that synthesize these different chemicals, it’s comforting to realize that this is an astronomical, exponential problem in terms of variables to figure out. He could have created us 6,000 years ago as discrete beings, wholly human. Instead, he chose to make it all mind numbingly complex so  that we’d take it all on faith.

And isn’t that JUST what the Bible tells us? Take it all on faith? Wow. God is so wise, so brilliant. I’m dumbfounded by His mystery. Now, I just know that he has a plan for me personally, and I need not worry about anything much.

I have a friend, in Jesus.

1. Bud on January 17, 2014 at 12:37

What?

• Richard Nikoley on January 17, 2014 at 12:41

I’ve undergone a conversion, Bud.

Seen the light. It’s all too complicated and what that doesn’t mean is evolution. It had to have been designed by an intelligence and I refuse to ask questions about where that intelligence came from, originally.

See the beauty of faith?

I’m done asking questions. Relax. Don’t worry, be happy. There are streets of gold to walk and a mansion to occupy. It’s so easy.

2. Father Nature on January 17, 2014 at 12:56

Prepare yourself, you know it’s a must.

3. Travis on January 17, 2014 at 13:00

Where does the Bible tell us to take it all on faith?

4. Gemma on January 17, 2014 at 13:20

More recent ESTIMATE says it is actually 37 trillion human cells… they do not know for sure yet:

5. Richard Nikoley on January 17, 2014 at 14:06

Travis:

Here, let me Google that for you.

Gemma:

Oh ye of little faith.

• Travis on January 17, 2014 at 17:03

Hi Richard,

Your link would have been very helpful if I asked “what are some Bible verses on faith”. But I asked “Where does the Bible tell us to take it on faith”. The “it” I was referring to was the same “it” you were referring to, which I thought in context was taking in faith that he created us with all of the non-human cells and DNA in our bodies vs. making us wholly human cells. I’m simply trying to understand what about that requires faith. I guess I may have misinterpreted what you were trying to say. I also am not sure what you mean by exponential problem in terms of variables to figure out. What’s the problem and who needs to figure it out? Enjoy the blog by the way – Travis

• Gemma on January 17, 2014 at 21:09

@Richard

:-)))))))

Actually, I did read it first mentioned in the Humane Microbiome FAQ paper YOU tweeted on Jan 12 and then look up the source of this heresy.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 07:50

“what about that requires faith”

Are you questioning my faith in the Almighty and his plan for me, Travis?

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 08:18

“YOU tweeted on Jan 12”

On January 12 I was lost, but now am saved. Amazing Grace, by the love of God and his only begotten Son that he sent to die on the Cross for my sins so that I might be redeemed.

• Travis on January 18, 2014 at 15:14

No, Richard. I’m trying to understand exactly what exactly you are mocking and am having trouble. I must be a stuupid person that went to kristchin skool. As I said in my previous comment, among other things that you didn’t care to answer, is that I’m not sure what exactly what the exponential problem is that gets figured out and by whom.

We have to “take it all on faith” that God created us with all of the non-human cells? Is that what’s so worthy of a post like this? That it’s JUST what the Bible says? Like somewhere there MUST be a verse about creation happening 6000 years ago?

“he chose to make it all mind numbingly complex so that we’d take it all on faith.” That we would take the fact that he created us like that? I think it’s hilarious that the more complex humans are that an atheist would think that it would mean it wasn’t an intelligent being creating it but rather “chance” (which isn’t a force). It’s so mind-numbingly complex that the creator of the universe couldn’t have pulled it off but primordial soup and mutations could.

But that’s OK, because there is no faith involved with the belief that man evolved along with all of these creatures in our guts as well as perfectly evolving different sexes at the same time and that the universe was eternal and/or made out of nothing but a spec of sub-atomic particle that can inflate at infinity and has no purpose and that you are nothing but star dust and will be earth dust when you die.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 15:35

“I must be a stuupid person that went to kristchin skool.”

I doubt that. I graduated Reno Christian Academy, went on to attend Tennessee Temple University.

I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at, brother in Christ. Is not the True measure of a follower of God and Christ The Son his allegiance to an absolute faith in our Supreme Father and what he has chosen to reveal to us, and what he has withheld as a test of that very allegiance? Who are you or I to question his divine Word, or what he chooses to reveal? Or, whom he sees fit to exalt and whom he allows to suffer?

His ways are not our ways; his means, not our means. We are His creation. Can you not see, brother, that he has placed before us certain temptations of the flesh, most notably and most dangerous, the worldly intellectualism of being human, or logic and reason—and in particular, whenever either comes into conflict with what has been written?

God is the Alpha and Omega. He is the origin, and we are fortunate to be a part of his divine plan. And even tempting oneself with Satan inspired heresies such as evolution is like building a house on sand, brother. All we can know is what he has revealed to us and so I must conclude that all talk of evolution is either a test through his creating our minds as they are, or a temptation exploited by the Devil, fallen from His Grace.

Peace and our Lord’s blessings be upon you, brother.

• Travis on January 18, 2014 at 16:30

“Can you not see, brother, that he has placed before us certain temptations of the flesh, most notably and most dangerous, the worldly intellectualism of being human, or logic and reason—and in particular, whenever either comes into conflict with what has been written?”

You mean the part in the Bible that says we don’t have any bacteria in our guts, that we are made of only human cells, and cannot no matter what be complex at all? Or the part that says that man was created around 3896 BC?

That’s the whole point of my posts. How exactly does having mind-numbingly complex biome conflict with the Bible? But alas, you just want to mock and do it by taking the lowest-hanging fruit. Brother.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 16:39

“How exactly does having mind-numbingly complex biome conflict with the Bible?”

Brother, nothing conflicts with the Bible for those of faith. It is only in our feeble and worldly minds that we imagine a conflict. Ancient scriptures do not mention the bacteria of God’s creation because it would have been as inconceivable to as it would have been to write of cars, trains, automobiles and going to the moon and back.

The Lord’s word is to be taken in its context. But the test of our faith builds through time and this is why the End Days are yet not on our doorstep. As Our Lord is omniscient, he knew all of this would come to pass back when His Word was laid down.

Is it not obvious, brother? We are being tested as never before and I’m grateful to have seen the light, in time.

• Travis on January 18, 2014 at 19:33

I hope you get the help that you need.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 21:45

Brother, have you not read the thread?

How could I possibly have more help than in my creator, my Lord and Savior? As Christ is both the Lamb of God and the betrothed of mankind, I’m not seeing where I need help beyond more faith, more trust.

• rob on January 19, 2014 at 05:29

Do you not understand that given a long enough period of time and a big enough universe, everything, no matter how improbable, is not only likely to occur but absolutely certain to occur through pure chance?

If you flip the coin a trillion times in a row you are certain to hit a stretch where it lands “heads” ten thousand times in a row.

In a very old and very large universe deities are superfluous.

• Travis on January 20, 2014 at 06:23

Rob, yes I do understand probability.

“is not only likely to occur but absolutely certain to occur through pure chance?”

In your example of the coin flip, it comes up heads ten thousand times in a row not “through pure chance”, but through a coin being flipped a trillion times in a row. Anything certain to occur has a 100% chance of happening. Chance is used to describe the probability of something happening. It doesn’t cause anything.

In either an infinitely old universe and infinitely expanding universe, or a sub-atomic particle (or particles) that infinitely expands producing an infinitely large eternal universe (or universes) there would be 100% probability of everything possible happening. There is probably a planet in the level I or level II multiverse that has a human that is exactly like Richard except that he now becomes a young earth creationist.

In either case “chance” doesn’t explain where the universe or the sub-atomic particle came from, or where the laws of physics came from. And of course either does anything explain where God would have come from (of course we are discussing things in terms of time which is part of the space-time fabric which is being created so there’s that). In both cases we are asked to JUST “take it all on faith”. Science is great at figuring out the mechanism of how our universe or universes became what they are today.

Of course, we may be just a computer simulation (with “code” being the laws of the simulation’s physics) or a trillion-deep computer simulation. We are very close to the computing power of doing it ourselves so if we do it, couldn’t the simulation also advance enough to do their own simulation, and so on? And why would we think we would be the first simulation? But where did the “computer” come from in the first place??

If Richard wants to take the lowest-hanging fruit of 6000 year old creationist and mock them it’s his right. In fact, based on current scientific thought of an infinitely expanding universe or universes it is completely certain that Richard would! But what people believe the Bible says and what it may actually say or not say is another thing. And it’s purpose is another thing as well. No, it didn’t mention that humans have non-human cells as part of our normal metabolism but it did say that if you touch a dead person you are to leave the camp for a week. Thousands of years before doctors were doing autopsies and then delivering babies without washing their hands. But the purpose of the Bible is not as a scientific proof of God.

“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth”, and in the beginning there was a sub-atomic particle that now infinitely expands our universe that always was is the same amount of “faith”.

Isn’t that JUST what atheism says, that we have to take that the universe or the first particle was eternal by faith? Duh!

• Woodchuck Pirate on January 20, 2014 at 06:53

Faith in science, is not science. Why pick on atheism? A rhetorical question of course. Faith in all forms has zero utility, it merely lowers the bar. Reality is not vulnerable to interpretation, no matter where you set the bar. Faith is a vehicle of deceit and conceit, created solely to initiate force against individuals. Pick any style you’d like, to praise the fraud. Satanism, Christianity, Liberalism, Atheism, Chickencoopism, …ad nauseum, all homogenous undifferentiated fraud. Deceit and conceit are highlights of a deviant lifestyle. How can anyone eat just one?

• Travis on January 20, 2014 at 07:06

Can people choose what they believe? Seriously. I would love to see someone use their will and change their beliefs.

If someone believes that there is a creator, and someone else doesn’t, and someone else doesn’t believe that anyone should believe anything about the origin of the universe(s), why pick on them?

Faith comes from belief. And yes, “faith” can be used to deceive, manipulate, etc. but that is a different subject.

• Woodchuck Pirate on January 20, 2014 at 07:33

Faith is defined as belief in something despite zero evidence. Faith does not come from belief, you have the relationship inversed. You can not believe in something for which there is zero evidence until you invoke faith. That’s why there are no true believers, only fraudsters. Praise the fraud.

Underlying assumptions exist and as such are not “different subjects”. To say one “knows” what they don’t “know” is fraud. Faith can not divorce fraud, to do so would negate the ability to initiate force against individuals. Fraud is an initiation of force. Praise the fraud.

• Travis on January 20, 2014 at 07:58

So all scientists that propose theories, of which there is zero evidence are frauds?

• Woodchuck Pirate on January 20, 2014 at 08:59

Faith in science is not science.

There are no conflicts in reality. When you believe you have discovered a conflict in reality, look to your underlying assumptions. It is there you will find your error.

• rob on January 20, 2014 at 13:39

Re “cause” … your search for “cause” is just a result of randomness and natural selection in action, our minds are programmed to search for a cause because it has been proven to be effective in the survival of our species. This doesn’t mean that there is any reality behind it. We are programmed to seek cause/effect and because we are so programmed, we will find it. In your case the end result was belief in a deity.

• rob on January 20, 2014 at 13:41

When has a scientist proposed a theory of which there is zero evidence, and had the theory taken seriously?

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2014 at 13:54

“So are you a proponent of the Jesus Myth or what? If so then argue the Jesus Myth.”

Bingo. Believers always end up wanting to talk about cosmology, pointing out the fact that science can’t answer questions for which there is no observation or data. For example, if the Big Bang is true, then it would be impossible to ever know anything “prior” to that, and that eternal absence of evidence does not constitute evidence for a Supreme Imaginary Friend.

• Travis on January 21, 2014 at 05:43

“our minds are programmed to search for a cause because it has been proven to be effective in the survival of our species”

So it’s because our minds are programmed that way instead of the “reality” that we see around us every second of the day that everything has a cause and nothing happens without a reason. Which is the basis for why we can have a scientific method. But we need to just shut that part of the brain off when looking for a cause of the universe.

• Travis on January 21, 2014 at 05:50

“Believers always end up wanting to talk about cosmology”

Wow, that’s a really stupid thing to talk about. Instead lets talk about intestinal bacteria and how dumbfounded we are by the mystery of his ways and mock people. And we have to take it all by faith which is JUST what the Bible says.

Not talking about cosmology would be very convenient because it doesn’t expose your needing faith to absolutely believe there is no creator.

• Travis on January 21, 2014 at 06:13

There is nothing to argue. Science is pointing towards infinite universes where everything possible actually happens. It is possible with our laws of physics for someone to be dead for three days and come back to life. Just like it’s possible, with enough attempts, for me to run towards a wall and appear on the other side without damaging the wall. It’s science brother. SCIENCE.

Now of course you will say show me the evidence that Jesus really did raise from the dead. Which my reply would be that no amount of evidence would ever suffice for you since you don’t want to believe it anyway so there really would be no point.

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2014 at 08:11

“it doesn’t expose your needing faith to absolutely believe there is no creator.”

Laf. That’s really all there is to say about it.

• Travis on January 21, 2014 at 10:32

Laf. That’s really all there is to say about it.

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2014 at 13:25

“and can prove there isn’t a creator?”

Double laf.

What planet did you say you’re from? It’s 2014.

“It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 05:20

Really. You can’t see that “there absolutely is a creator” and “there absolutely isn’t a creator” is both faith? And I’m the moron.

You’ve been on this earth 53 years next week. That’s 53 years over probably trillions and trillions and maybe approaching infinite years the universe(s) has been in existence and you somehow you know 100% for certain that there is no creator.

And then the name calling starts. Typical. You are just a bully.

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2014 at 09:15

“You can’t see that “there absolutely is a creator” and “there absolutely isn’t a creator” is both faith?”

There absolutely isn’t a unicorn.

Without evidence, assertions are just arbitrary. The onus of proof is upon the one making the assertion. I won’t explain why, just go back to Socrates and early to understand why.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 10:01

I’m sorry, where did I demand someone prove a negative? I didn’t demand anything. I stated that that both positions are based on “faith” – meaning no evidence to support them. Yes, I said it. Believing in God has no real evidence. Everything can be explained by something in our physics. Both are faith.

I can believe that unicorns don’t exist but it’s not because of any evidence. Probably somewhere in this universe or another universe they do exist. And then I would be wrong in my belief! That is current scientific thought by the way (everything possible exists somewhere)- not by all but it sure is gaining traction. And it’s not a new theory, just a prediction of current widely accepted theories. The recent discovery of the hot/cold sections of the cosmic background radiation are thought to be the first evidence of other universes. I can say I don’t believe in unicorns just like I can say I don’t believe there are alien life forms but I’m smart enough to say that they may exist. Yes, without evidence, all things are arbitrary. But plenty of people have believed very silly things, with “evidence” that they accepted that turned out to be completely wrong later. I guess they were just morons.

God may or may not exist. I think he does but not through any evidence you would accept. We are stuck in our physics. Anything you “see” may just be a hallucination after all. Or if a being enters our planet and does very “miraculous” things it may just be an alien from a different dimension claiming to be God yet it’s just physics we don’t know yet. Nobody can prove God to you. And nobody can disprove God. Because the very concept of both, based on definition, is not provable.

But is it completely unreasonable to believe that there might be a creator? Is it unreasonable to believe that there is some actual meaning to life and an actual judge of right and wrong? Is it unreasonable to want to believe that even? No more than it’s unreasonable for some people to not want to believe it.

Is it unreasonable to think we are just a computer simulation by some other civilization in a whole other kind of universe that can just hit the power switch at any time? Can there ever be true “proof”?

Is it unreasonable to believe there is no God? I don’t think so. But hey, I’m a moron.

So mock away. Call people shit for brains. I bet you think that if you were me that you wouldn’t be so stupid. If that’s true, you must believe in absolutely free will and that somehow you have a soul or something that would make you different than me outside of our physics. That would be moronic based on your assertions. Why mock people that just happen to be different than you based on quantum randomness? You do believe in science, don’t you? Of course if you want to put other people down then that’s that’s just how you popped out of the universe. But maybe seeing it will change you. Who knows. It just doesn’t make sense to me for people to be mean.

By the way, it may not matter to you at all, but I really do wish the best for you and mean no ill intentions. I will not post any more on your website if you wish.

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2014 at 10:13

“I’m sorry, where did I demand someone prove a negative?”

Here:

“So you have perfect knowledge of everything and can prove there isn’t a creator?”

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2014 at 10:20

“I can believe that unicorns don’t exist”

This is a perfect example of your deficiency of thought, and perfectly consistent.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 10:34

“I’m sorry, where did I demand someone prove a negative?”

Here:

Wow, you just don’t want to understand what I am saying. I wasn’t asking you to prove it, I’m just showing you that they are both faith. I actually said in my comment that you probably didn’t read that they are both un-provable. Of course you don’t have to read my comment. Instead of having an intellectual discussion you shutdown and revert to name-calling and bullying. If you can find it in your heart to actually read what I wrote I would love to know from a logic standpoint where I was in error. Really.

“Put up fucking no-shit evidence for God, and his Christ son, and al the hoopla, or just shut your little child mouth.”

Now, as you told me before, the whole internet gets to see what you are really like. Besides being a mean bully, you just tell people to go away when you are backed into a corner.

God bless you. Really.

• Woodchuck Pirate on January 22, 2014 at 10:39

Travis,

You are being treated with respect despite your pleading victimization. Your performance here has been based in altruism, and your emotional conflict and cognitive dissonance is yous and yours alone.

The cornerstone (or lack thereof) is altruism. No valid philosophy can’t be practiced to the nth degree. Altruism practiced to the nth degree is death. Therefore altruism is the philosophy of death. Altruism has zero basis in reason. Altruism is diametrically opposed to reason.

quote:

The word “altruism” (French, altruisme, from autrui: “other people”, derived from Latin alter: “other”) was coined by Auguste Comte, the French founder of positivism, in order to describe the ethical doctrine he supported. He believed that individuals had a moral obligation to renounce self-interest and live for others. Comte says, in his Catéchisme Positiviste [1], that:
      [The] social point of view cannot tolerate the notion of rights, for such notion rests on individualism.

endquote.

I may not call you names, despite your practice of altruism which is the vehicle for every atrocity and genocide in history. Gods and masters are one and the same, manifest in hatred of freedom. No self respecting anarchist will ever enable you to sustain your intolerance for the notion of rights. When you show enough respect for your own rights, then you may have demonstrated enough recognition of interconnectedness to accept love from where you least expect it.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 10:48

Woodchuck Pirate,

Wow. All that I can say is that you are way out there man!

Regards, Travis.

• Woodchuck Pirate on January 22, 2014 at 10:50

I remain consistent. I am not special.

Enjoy your day.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 10:51

By the way, everybody, everywhere always does everything for themselves. There is no such thing as selflessness. People who act like they are selfless are doing it for themselves.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 11:09

“Shit, I cured my fundamentalist baptist mother of this abject ignorance in like ’94ish.”

“I have zero interest in reading you comment”

Now imagine, Richard, if your poor mother had your attitude and wouldn’t listen to YOU when you cured her. Thank that SHE had an open mind!

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 11:10

That should read “Thank something that SHE had an open mind!” but I put it in brackets which apparently isn’t well-liked by the website.

• Woodchuck Pirate on January 22, 2014 at 12:00

Travis,

An interesting half-confession. Petitioning the brute power of government, to initiate force against individuals, to take what you want in order to fund your so-called noble deeds, isn’t charity, it’s theft. Gods and masters are the excuse to initiate force against individuals. 99.99% of humans are pure scum by choice differentiated only by their collective ego.

Richard having consciously chosen not to be pure scum, committed in choice of no gods no masters, establishes his blog to practice no initiation of force against individuals. Travis a member of the 99.99% whom have a penchant for worship, voluntarily assumes position on his knees in faithful display to a deity. To Travis’ delight Richard slaps the collar of reason around Travis’ neck and Travis performs mental gymnastics necessary to fully enjoy his comfort zone of negating his personal rights in kind with the homogenous role of victim at worship. Travis strains at the leash being careful to practice altruism with adequate pragmatism (aversion of principle) to avoid awakening, while preserving the fraudulent goal of initiating force against individuals as sanctioned by the God story. Travis a member of the 99.99% demonstrates his faith by calling Richard (a member of the .01%) a bully, and continues to strain at the leash of reason to his own delight.

Who’s the bully? Check the money trail. Altruists are so easy.

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2014 at 12:05

“Wow, you just don’t want to understand what I am saying.”

Do you imagine that I don’t know who you are and what you are up to?

I’m taking you at your literal word, as quoted. And this is your chief problem. You want people to understand _you_, and not the only vehicle by which they might, your written words and definitions of same.

BTW, Bible thumpers have been doing this forever. Their chief weapon is not surprise, as with The Spanish Inquisition, it is rather a convenient use of metaphor. Literal when convenient and when called on it, metaphor.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 12:54

“while preserving the fraudulent goal of initiating force against individuals as sanctioned by the God story”

You don’t understand the English language or are very deluded.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 12:57

“Do you imagine that I don’t know who you are and what you are up to?”

Huh?

“I’m taking you at your literal word”

Literal word, out of context. How convenient.

Read the whole comment post and point out the logical inconsistencies. I’m really interested.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 13:02

“Richard slaps the collar of reason around Travis’ neck”

No, he won’t reason. He doesn’t want to. He knows everything. Why should he read my comments explaining myself. It doesn’t fit his agenda.

Saying “I know there is no God” is not using reason. If it is, show me where my logic is wrong.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 13:05

“Altruists are so easy”

And why would you be posting here? Who are you trying to help?

• Richard Nikoley on January 22, 2014 at 13:27

Don’t be so hard on Travis, Woodchuck.

Like most everyone else, he’s just regurgitating what he was fed as a kid. Nobody is born with any of these ideas. Kids are indoctrinated for a lot of reasons (all of them altruistic, as you point out). Could be so that they’ll be a good church member, good community member, good cog in the local factory, etc. All of them involve the young person learning early on that he was born as animal stock for some faction of society.

Travis is just fulfilling his role defending Santa Clause (God Lite) fantasies. It’s a very clever scheme. He may not even sincerely believe them. But you know what the purveyors of myth count on? They count on the fact that there will always be plenty who simply cannot come to grips with the fact that they’ve been a huge, unthinking, follow-the-pack ignoramus so far and most of their life has been a waste.

That’s why Mark Twain observed that “it’s easier to fool someone than to convince them they’ve been fooled.”

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 13:42

There you go again Richard. No substance, just name calling. Can’t compete intellectually with what I was fed as a kid I see. You’re the boy who cried “he demanded I prove a negative”, wah wah wah. I’m taking my bat and ball and going home.

Still don’t understand this:

“Do you imagine that I don’t know who you are and what you are up to?”

Of course I’m dumber than a rock so there’s that. You are a closed minded fool who thinks that someone saying he knows there isn’t a God isn’t dumber than someone saying they know there is a God.

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 14:11

“You are a closed minded fool who thinks that someone saying he knows there isn’t a God isn’t dumber than someone saying they know there is a God.”

My apologies, I meant to say:

“You are a closed minded fool who thinks that someone saying he knows there isn’t a God isn’t JUST AS DUMB than someone saying they know there is a God”

• Woodchuck Pirate on January 22, 2014 at 14:56

Richard,

Yes I know the indoctrination first hand. I was raised christian. My grandma was a Sunday school teacher. I was forced to Sunday school and church. I attended public school at the McDuffee Street School in Athens, PA and hid under my desk as taught when air raid sirens blew. I distinctly remember dating the top of my paper 1965 as the teacher passed by and I told her we were at war. She told me “no we’re not at war”. I’d seen TV and I knew somebody was lying to me. At home I was trained to make my bed in military fashion, and to dress with my shirt and pants gig aligned. I was always told what military future I had ahead of me. In high school I was taught to line up in military fashion, sound off and snap my head in unison. I never talked back and was beaten for suspicion of having the wrong look on my face when spoken to. I never opened the refrigerator and never ate between meals. I never touched the telephone. The times I was allowed to visit a friend’s home or have a friend over to our home I could count on both hands over the course of my entire childhood. I was not allowed in my room unless I was sleeping or doing homework. I was allowed only in the basement, never in the section of home populated by adults. I was kept busy with physical labor at home and at my Dad’s Van Etten Hotel/Bar weekends and 7 days a week during summer. I was consistently advised by my parents that I was a terrible person as were all my siblings. My parents held ritualistic meetings on regular basis to hear my mom’s lecture on how disappointed they were in us and to be told that if they had it to do all over again they’d never have any kids. I started running away from home at age ten only to be dragged back by the police each time. The beatings for running away increased in severity including being lifted off the ground continually and thrown to the ground until a neighbor interrupted. Normal beatings included being charged with the responsibility of fetching the stick to be beaten with, but belt and fist were preferred as they were immediately accessible. Fixed periods of time lasting more than a year were routinely structured with verbal and physical focus on each sibling for no reason other than to keep all in line and on edge. As suicide attempts by my sister were difficult to conceal, efforts by parents to inflict as much damage as possible when they decided to were fueled by desperation. Extended family members were excommunicated so as to avoid interference. Three days after my 17th birthday I walked out of my “home” with only a gym bag of clothes to my name. I worked nights as a janitor to support myself and stayed in high school. As a senior in high school I had my own apartment and a 1964 Triumph Spitfire.

I tend to expect too much from most people. However petitioning the brute force of government in the name of God to initiate force against individuals is where I’ve drawn the line in 2014.

“Anarcho-Capitalism or else.” – Woodchuck Pirate

• Richard Nikoley on January 23, 2014 at 07:51

Wow, quite a story. Thankfully, while the teachings of the church that was life’s focus 24/7/365 from about 10-18 were wacky as a football bat, my parents were very good to us all. Lots of love, and everyone is on wonderful terms to this day.

Here’s my dad, just 2 days ago on his 76th.

Glad my brothers & I never had to endure what you and your siblings endured.

• Woodchuck Pirate on January 23, 2014 at 09:28

Richard,

Man you sure look like yer Father. You’ll never know how lucky I think you are, but that doesn’t mean you don’t deserve it. My real Father died when I was 18 months old and I grew up without a picture of him in our house, so I never internalized any perception other than a tree without roots. It seems logical that this enhanced focus on my individualism as strongly as being the only guardian of my survival. The knee-jerk reaction I receive from self-professed altruists is that a stolen childhood has left me broken to their “wholesome” selflessness and affords them an excuse to escape introspection which would find their culpability. Of course their rationalization collapses, as it follows that their privileged childhood by same logic must have left them broken with guilt and bleeding heart. The dysfunctional way to deal with guilt is to disguise hostility by petitioning the brute force of government to fund their “noble” deeds. Cannibals every one of them.

I never buy into the victim mentality as I know you are what you are because that is what you have chosen to be. If one chooses to hate freedom, they will act in kind. Throw a rock in any direction and you will strike a socialist initiating force against individuals, diminishing freedom, wallowing in self-made hell, blaming someone else, anyone but themselves. It seems reasonable that a whole lot more rocks are going to get thrown. The definition of family has taken a beating under collectivism. Just as the rabbit population resets itself when saturated with parasites, so will the human race now saturated with cannibals. Those demanding polite discourse during their extermination will make for surreal documentary content in the years to come. In hindsight my stolen childhood afforded me an advanced capacity to adapt and survive. I don’t look back in anger or languish in sorrow, rather I am grateful to walk the outskirts of society observing the beast for irregular movement. It’s not difficult, without stereotypical indoctrination obstacles manifest by “faith”. The current environment is calmly insane, all systems go, should go down without a hitch. Nothing to see here.

May we live in interesting times.

• Richard Nikoley on January 23, 2014 at 09:53

“so will the human race now saturated with cannibals”

“Cannibal Pot Hysteria” is a meme from Billy Beck I have used often over years. Good metaphor. Socialism (and I don’t make meaningless distinctions) is all about theft and democracy, so as to get 50%+ of the voting populace on the black side.

It’s cannibalism.

• Woodchuck Pirate on January 23, 2014 at 10:44

Richard,

I’ve a letter and photograph framed and hanging on my living room wall. The letter is one page written two sides on unlined paper. It has what might be blood on one side. The letter was found wrapped around a photo card bearing the photographer’s name. The name of the man in the photo is not given. I found the letter when removing lathe/plaster from what was the outside wall of the original house. It was wedged between a space that appeared from the second story floor settling away from the joint of this plank board farmhouse. The letter is an obvious draft of a speech written during the civil way reconstruction period. Much of the writing is not legible however the author’s position is clear in references to possible numbers of senators which might be sent from states, and posits the “dusky empire of the negroe”.

The letter has hung on my wall for all of twenty years. The abstract of my home contains an original survey on letterhead that reads “Colonel John Franklin’s Farm”. Colonel John Franklin died 1831 long before the history contained in this letter motivated the author to take up pen. The earliest document in the homes abstract is a deed transaction of 1879. The actual age of the home is unknown. I have enjoyed life as its guardian since 1990. I’ve waited decades to channel wisdom through the letter. I’ve often studied the image of the person in the photo and spent hours in contemplation as I filled in the original dug well discovered under the house and other tasks. I’ve collected ink bottle with ink and cork intact, as well as countless numbers of quack cure liver and blood medicine (booze) bottles, warranted flask whiskey bottles, horseshoes, wooden farm implements, and almost an entire coal stove turned up while digging the crawlspace down. Some people don’t understand the value of these things, especially if isolated by the choice to live in cities with zero opportunity to own land. The insulation of unsustainable civilization neglects to fertilize their thoughts with reality. But I, the noble brute read through the death certificate of Mary Cooper whom hung herself in my stairwell during her elderly years, and study the interconnectedness I feel with these folks who left me words to read and my responsibility to understand them.

I have scans of the letter and photo, accompanied by my admittedly poor translation if anyone world enjoy an opportunity to view them. I’ve been considering raising a page on my website with the letter and photo. As yet, I’m not sure what wisdom is making its way through me. However living in despotism U.S.S.A. today, it seems blatantly obvious that the horror envisioned by the author is fully manifest from the handiwork of now dead men he sought to confront.

These are interesting times.

• David Franklin on February 14, 2014 at 09:21

“There are no conflicts in reality.”

Raymond, no-one can know reality. Because we all see things from a very VERY limited, subjective viewpoint. Inevitably, our viewpoint is skewed and distorted. And involves taking a lot of things on faith. Do you believe your parents fed you bread when you were growing up? How do you know they didn’t feed you woodchuck entrails carefully disguised to look, smell and taste like bread? Okay, I know that’s ridiculous. But how do you know dinosaurs existed? Have you ever touched dinosaur bone?
      No, you haven’t. The bones in museums are either models, or fossils. Not actual bone.

Don’t knock faith. Every one of us depends on it to apply the tools of logic and reason.

P.S. In the interests of full disclosure, I’m a charismatic Christian who studied biological sciences for 4 years at university, and finds creationism distasteful on both scientific and theological grounds…

• David Franklin on February 14, 2014 at 09:28

Dude, what are you on?
      Doing good for others (altruism) leads to atrocities and genocide?
      And Travis is supposedly the one who can’t think?

• Woodchuck Pirate on February 14, 2014 at 11:43

Quote snipped:

“In the interests of full disclosure, I’m a charismatic Christian who studied biological sciences for 4 years at university, and finds creationism distasteful on both scientific and theological grounds…”

endquote.

Ego and collective ego.

quote snipped:

“Raymond, no-one can know reality. Because we all see things from a very VERY limited, subjective viewpoint. ”

endquote.

Reality is not vulnerable to interpretation. A is A. There are no conflicts in reality.

Your egoic masturbatory effort in this post does not arouse me, no matter you directed it toward me. Your ego misidentification with academia does not unequivocally confirm you have a history of petitioning the brute force of government to initiate force against individuals to provide you with grants/subsidies that you felt entitled to take to fund your “studies”? There are always lies about the money trail, but the money trail does not lie. There’s no motivation to fixate on misperceptions of reality when there are outright hypocritical acts committed en masse by self-professed altruists posturing as holy faithful followers while perverting the “thou shalt not steal” doctrine. I’ve never met a self-professed “Christian” that wasn’t a thief and I doubt I ever will. I don’t give a rats ass what “misinterpretation” of reality you offer as excuse for stealing. I’ll await your complete and full disclosure of the money trail that is intrinsic to your ego (story). Of course there is no time to waste waiting for your true self to arrive while you pontificate on the merits of aversion to principle while practicing Christianity. I prefer you adhere to the non-aggression principle or die of the bone cancer you deserve. 99.99% pure scum by choice talking faith. Get off your knees. No innocence found.

Anarcho-Capitalism or else.

• David Franklin on February 15, 2014 at 03:32

Ad hominem attack. Last defense of those whose arguments don’t hold up.
      “Die of the bone cancer you deserve”. Your words. What do you stand for??

The money trail? Where do you get your money from? Or don’t you need money? Hmm, living in the USA, typing on a computer, I doubt it.

Anarcho-Capitalist, and anti-altruism. If I understand your position (which is difficult given the density of your language and idiosyncratic use of vocabulary), you basically want complete freedom to do whatever you like, with no accountability to anyone, no responsibility to anyone…

As for my ‘misidentification’ with academia – you’re the one using a bunch of postmodern terminology.

No, it’s easy to sum your position up: you’re SELFISH, and flaunting it, dressed up in fancy language.

But rest easy. I shall not respond again to what you have to say. I don’t know you, and I can’t come alongside you even if you have a change of heart and repent of your selfishness.
      I can’t do anything for you. But Jesus can. Your choice, man.

• Woodchuck Pirate on February 15, 2014 at 07:46

“Judge and prepare to be judged.” – Ayn Rand , The Virtue Of Selfishness

quote:

Moral Judgment

One must never fail to pronounce moral judgment.

Nothing can corrupt and disintegrate a culture or a man’s character as thoroughly as does the precept of moral agnosticism, the idea that one must never pass moral judgment on others, that one must be morally tolerant of anything, that the good consists of never distinguishing good from evil.

It is obvious who profits and who loses by such a precept. It is not justice or equal treatment that you grant to men when you abstain equally from praising men’s virtues and from condemning men’s vices. When your impartial attitude declares, in effect, that neither the good nor the evil may expect anything from you—whom do you betray and whom do you encourage?

But to pronounce moral judgment is an enormous responsibility. To be a judge, one must possess an unimpeachable character; one need not be omniscient or infallible, and it is not an issue of errors of knowledge; one needs an unbreached integrity, that is, the absence of any indulgence in conscious, willful evil. Just as a judge in a court of law may err, when the evidence is inconclusive, but may not evade the evidence available, nor accept bribes, nor allow any personal feeling, emotion, desire or fear to obstruct his mind’s judgment of the facts of reality—so every rational person must maintain an equally strict and solemn integrity in the courtroom within his own mind, where the responsibility is more awesome than in a public tribunal, because he, the judge, is the only one to know when he has been impeached.

endquote.

I attended Tompkins Community College in 1977 at the age of 18 for a semester and discovered the Hotel Technology program was a glorified food service program and nothing more. This realization was reinforced when I was assigned to work without pay (academic internship) washing scallops at JP’s Restaurant on route 38. I had no access to the full menu of statist benefits, Pell Grant etc. My stepdad’s reply to request for financial info was, “The only people that see my tax returns are my lawyer and my accountant.” I had left home at age 17 and supported myself as a janitor during high school, but this constituted incomplete requirement for Pell Grant info. I received none. A friend told me I could still take out a student loan and that I did. To the extent the loan was subsidized, it was theft. I was a self-professed Christian, without conscious understanding of my theft. I paid the loan in full.

I attended Corning Community College in the 80’s and received statist benefits of Pell Grant and subsidized loan, based on my financial data. The Pell grant, and subsidy inherent in the student loan was theft. I was still a self-professed Christian, without conscious understanding of my theft. I paid the loan in full.

In the ’90’s I was self-employed working as series 7 licensed stockbroker. I attended Elmira College as a part-time student, and was ineligible for statist benefits of grants and subsidized loans. I paid $250 per credit hour cash from my own pocket. I had ceased being a self-professed Christian. I had never read Ayn Rand, and had never called myself anarchist. I was registered Republican. I had never referred to myself as anarchist, however a professor whom had never held a job, having gone from college study, to teaching college, rejected my suggestion that removing government as much as possible from the economy was optimal. He laughed and said “let’s write something a little less anarchistic.” As no wisdom fell from his mouth in several weeks, and I had no contract to purchase indoctrination, I withdrew from that class with zero refund. My money was stolen. A lesson well learned.

I quit the financial business in 2000 per the corruption rising, and sold out of the stock market prior to the dot com stock bubble burst. I bought a motorcycle and decided to try living in Phoenix AZ, working retail to fund the venture. I read Ayn Rand and Jack Kerouac and studied psychobilly and punk rock music in my leisure hours. No theft.

I sold out of the stock market again prior to the housing bubble burst while observing the statist economic fraud and corruption at the core of property value price fixing and escalation. The insanity was roaring and when I discussed it with people they didn’t care, they chose to have faith in it. I did not participate in this theft, no flipping houses etc. Instead I purchased a farm (with cash) 12 miles from my village home in rural upstate New York. I spent the first 11 months of ownership clearing brush and pulling stumps with a 1948 Case VAC farm tractor (also purchased with cash). Restoration of the farmhouse and grounds has continued on cash only basis since 2005, no work hired out. No theft.

After being called an anarchist so many times for exercising my virtue of selfishness I decided that perhaps these Christians were right and were unknowingly pointing at truth while calling it evil. I researched to discover most self-professed anarchists suffered cognitive dissonance by implementing socialism while posturing as anarchists. Only the self-professed anarcho-capitalists adhered to the non-aggression principle. I’ve learned the contrarian utility of finding what self-professed Christians call evil, is most often knowledge, and never the entrance to hell.

Christians initiate force against individuals intentionally to sacrifice individuals to their collective, employing the age old archetype alliance of withdoctor/tyrant. When guilt at the core of their device fails, they depart swiftly to find easier prey, and retain what’s left of their their skin. All intentional thieves are cowards, and always seek shelter in a collective. It’s basic sociopath behavior and is predominate in 99.99% of the human race. This translates to 99.99% of the global environment to be anti-life, practicing altruism the philosophy of death. Of course self-professed altruists employ aversion to principle to avoid death, lest they lose their place in the game. Altruism practiced to the nth degree is death. No valid philosophy can’t be practiced to the nth degree.

Christianity has no valid philosophy practiced to the nth degree, only a history of atrocity including collective pedophilia, inquisitons, genocide of indian people, as well as modern manifestations as the use of technology is increasingly forgiven with pragmatic limitations. Always a careful eye on receding aversion to principle, so as to maintain control of the initiation of force. If dogma reveals anything it’ s that god is dumb all over and maybe a little ugly on the side. RIP Frank Zappa, you are missed.

I purchased 36 acres off-grid in Arizona a little more than a year ago, paying 22 thousand dollars cash. This purchase was made in light of the baby boomer generation vile collectivist theft, earning them recognition as the most vile generation ever to walk the earth. (Yes chronologically I am counted a member.) An economic reset will occur.

As the 120 trillion dollars of unfunded socialism security promises can not be collected through taxes, I’ve withdrawn all assets from tax deferred accounts and bank accounts. Bail-ins, MyRa’s, and every form of collective theft is being designed and tested. The sole intent is to maintain the status quo baby boomer (majority Christian) intentional theft. As the baby boomers collect their bodies into church pews, donating pittance from their socialism security checks stolen from the working poor, voting for socialist republicans and democrats, hoping to sustain the status quo long enough for them to wipe their behinds with the constitution, while hobbling off to their caskets, I withdraw my consent and participation from the state. “I am for the living, let the dying bury the dead. ” – Amebix

My wife’s w2 reveals earned income less than $6,500 in 2013. I choose not to be a wage slave. I build wealth through sweat equity and purchasing durable assets priced below intrinsic value. Precious metals are the best choice to convert excess currency. Zero statist benefits are accepted. I continue to reject the standing offer of a socialism security disability check despite living in chronic pain. Neither will I ever file for socialism security benefits of any kind. Earned income level negates IRS filing, and so the IRS will find it most difficult to enact an Obamacare penalty thereby failing to initiate its force of “estate recovery” theft without statist data to auto-enroll us into medicaid expansion. The obligatory witholding taxes are forfeited due to no tax return filed. Filing tax return would result in auto-enrollment into medicaid. Auto-enrollment into medicaid would beget estate recovery despite no benefits used per capitation charges indefinitely. Estate recovery is effected against those aged 54-64 specifically per medicaid law changes made specifically to expand medicaid under Obamacare. This is not “doing good for others” as David Franklin claims altruism is. No, this is altruism the philosophy of death intentionally gutting the middle class by theft. in order to redistribute to the baby boomer generation status quo collective theft.

I do not embrace collective action period. Neither do I feign respect for the 99.99% pure scum by choice offering the “Jesus Christ option” while they run away dejected and stripped of their magical thinking. David Franklin postures to help people, and models his rhetoric to include imagery of Jesus Christ leading one by the hand to the IRA processing your carcass, to facilitate magically free statist benefits for all.

Goodbye David Franklin. Next time you attempt intentional theft, perhaps you might practice the simple respect of showing someone your gun.

6. CDLXI on January 17, 2014 at 17:41

There are probably people reading this post and doing happy jump and shout for jesus moves over your *conversion* lol.

7. bornagain on January 17, 2014 at 17:42

Richard, can you please speak with Bea and ask her if you’re ok? This post has me slightly worried and I’m concerned for you bro.

• Richard Nikoley on January 17, 2014 at 17:56

I’m OK, bornagain. I’m filled with the love of God, and trusting Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. What could be better, human knowledge of reality?

• bornagain on January 17, 2014 at 18:04

Ok. If you say you’re ok, then you’re ok. Just don’t let Bea leave you home alone or anything like that.

This may be the craziest post I’ve seen on your blog in the past 7 or so years but what the heck, I’ll roll with it for now.

• Bernhard on January 18, 2014 at 07:48

That last batch of BRM starch you dumped in your starch container; Could you please do some tests whether this really is starch? If so indeed, ok with me.
      Just, would you mind to keep that private?
      Pax.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 08:06

“Women should listen and learn quietly and submissively. I do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly. For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve. And it was the woman, not Adam, who was deceived by Satan, and sin was the result. But women will be saved through childbearing and by continuing to live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty.” (1 Timothy 2:11-15 NLT)

“As in all the churches of the holy ones, women should keep silent in the churches, for they are not allowed to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. But if they want to learn anything, they should ask their husbands at home. For it is improper for a woman to speak in the church.” (1 Corinthians 14:33-35 NAB)

Are we clear on that? It’s God’s word through his inspiration of the Bible’s authors.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 08:39

“That last batch of BRM starch you dumped in your starch container; Could you please do some tests whether this really is starch?”

It matters not what it is, but what His will is. Have you not surrendered to His will, unequivocally?

• Travis on January 21, 2014 at 06:24

“Besides, born-again, the Bible tells us that wives are to submit to the will, and endowed wisdom of her husband as a sign of God’s children being submissive to him.”

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2014 at 08:14

“Richard, to know where you are coming from, can you tell me if you are married or have ever been married?”

• Travis on January 21, 2014 at 11:47

“About 15 years. What, you haven’t figured out yet that you were totally trolled in this post and comment thread?”

Laf.

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2014 at 20:16

“Laf.”

Does that mean we’re done, here?

• Travis on January 22, 2014 at 05:24

“Does that mean we’re done, here?”

Hmmm. Not sure. Does someone who goes trolling get to decide when they are done?

8. Gordon on January 17, 2014 at 18:14

Irony.

• bornagain on January 17, 2014 at 18:24

“What could be better, human knowledge of reality?”. I expect Richard to choose “human knowledge of reality”, but he’s awfully good at convincing me of otherwise at the moment.

• Gordon on January 17, 2014 at 18:28

The answer’s right there in the open. I want to say where it is, but I’m afraid to spoil Richard’s punchline.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 08:10

“I expect Richard to choose “human knowledge of reality””

Humans can’t know what has not been revealed by God through his inspired word. Thus, faith is the only answer, obviously.

9. bornagain on January 17, 2014 at 18:17

Man who hasn’t bathed in 60 years, eats rotten meat and smokes poo says he’s worried taking a bath will make him sick.

• Valhalla on January 17, 2014 at 19:18

Rough looking dude. If it is working for him, great. The rest of the 99.999999999999% of the human population would not knowingly choose to live like that.

• rob on January 18, 2014 at 07:14

I like him because he reminds me that I am rolling in the dirt of a cold and uncaring universe, and always will be.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 08:33

“I am rolling in the dirt of a cold and uncaring universe, and always will be.”

Consider the comfort that awaits you in the bosom and warmth embrace of your Father in Heaven who is the Truth and the Light.

I will pray for you, that your blindness might be turned to His light.

10. Valhalla on January 17, 2014 at 19:23

I like this post because it poses a question which should cause all of the creationists to get “bunched up in their knickers.”

Blah blah, my balls were also perfectly created so enjoy them.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 08:25

“As they might say: the creation is perfect, but we cannot understand the perfection because we are not god.”

God is the definition of perfect. All perfection, all purity, all wisdom, all good flows from Him. Love is defined by Him and through His acts toward His children. Thus, sometimes even incomprehensible human suffering is the Love of God manifest on Earth, being seen only through the eyes of imperfect men who have fallen from grace in the Garden.

What has not been revealed by God is none of our concern. It is to us to accept that He has a plan for everyone of us here on Earth, and to trust in his abiding love and mercy through faith in Him.

11. Resurgent on January 17, 2014 at 20:22

Richard.!
    here is something for you to ponder…

• Valhalla on January 17, 2014 at 21:14

TL,DR

• Will on January 18, 2014 at 07:27

Excellent article.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 08:15

I used to sometimes wander into Fred’s den of iniquity, Resurgent, but I’m cured of that, now.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 08:37

“Excellent article.”

I beg you to consider that such things are not for us to judge. While I did feel inspired, I am but a broken, imperfect vessel and it is only by His grace that I am not cursed, lost, condemned to an eternal purifying torture and suffering as a demonstration of His love for His children.

I await His judgment and His mercy.

• wrkn365 on January 18, 2014 at 12:19

Oh man, you crack me up Rich.
      Best post ever.

• Resurgent on January 18, 2014 at 22:21

Ha Ha Ha..!! 😉 😉

• GTR on January 21, 2014 at 10:07

From the linked article: ” Chief among these is the sheer complexity of things. Living organisms are just too complicated […] an incomprehensibly complex thing […] each of them phenomenally complex […] Complexity upon complexity. […] complex mechanisms […] DNA, itself a complex […] complexity of cellular biology […] is only the beginning of complexity […] At every level, complexity mounts. […] systems of unfathomable complexity […] infinitely complex, interacting chemical reactions […] a complex system […] a rather more complex process than it may seem […] such complex behavior […] yet another complex simultaneous mutation […] more-complex behavior […] fantastically complex series of physical rearrangements, turns into a fantastically complex butterfly […] phenomenally complex […] ”

And I thought the guy in the presentation below tended to exaggerate a bit…

‘Design vs. Chance’ by PZ Myers, AAI 2009

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2014 at 11:16

GTR:

Ref video: “You just get blown away.”

laf.

And oh, he just said: “they’re reducing it to an argument by metaphor.” This is EXACTLY what I have been doing and leading Travis by the nose in my troll.

Ok, let me go back into into box-mode, and I’ll ‘splain.

~~~

Just have faith. Then, in what the world _conveniently_ calls hubris—but you _righteously_ call faith—and you can be a perfect heckler in any worldly WASTE OF TIME involving unpacking the mystery of God’s creation. Since he’s omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and etc., it’s foolhardy to imagine that any of His creations are susceptible to being figured out by His very creations. Do you understand the circle of illogic scientists are engaged in?

This is a test of faith, people. Can’t you get that through your worldly heads, that we were created by God? Duh, much? Why do you allow yourself to seek out and ask about such temptations of the flesh—the very FLESH God created in us as a means of testing our resolve to be submissive to him in all things?

We’re created as we are. Everything is created as it is. This is fundamental and engaging in the “science” simply pulls you off your faith. And I would be remiss in not admonishing: your very soul and its Salvation by His Grace demand it.

It is a worldly (God’s creation in THE FIRST PLACE!) endeavor that can’t be reconciled.

Either you believe he created it all as it is, or you don’t. Please STOP engaging the HEATHEN!

I for one, don’t buy this evolution stuff. It IS TOO COMPLEX. There’s no other explanation and it’s so enormous that you actually have to have MORE faith to not believe in a creator, an INTELLIGENT DESIGNER.

12. Ripken Holt on January 18, 2014 at 12:15

@Richard
    Considering your view now that one’s calorie intake vs their calories burned determines whether or not they are going to lose weight (which I agree with), what is your explanation for Sam Feltham’s 21 day experiments where he ate 5K calories a day of low carb food for the first 21 days and then junk food for 21 days. obviously this would lead to different outcomes, but why is the weight gain not the same? He should have still gained weight eating over 5k calories of fat. I don’t care how low carb he was. I could understand a couple pounds of difference but 3 lbs vs 16? That doesn’t seem possible.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 12:57

Ripken

It’s not something I care to take time to explain because 1) he’s clearly biased and got the result his bias targeted and 2) so far as I know it wasn’t supervised in any way.

And so far as I know, ever single met ward study has found the same thing, that macros are less important that total energy, within reasonable variation.

It’s pretty clear that if one wants to lose fat, eat less on average over time and the inverse. If LC help a person do that easier, overcome hunger, fine by me.

13. MycroftJones on January 18, 2014 at 12:35

I drank 3 cups of cream every day for 15 days. I gained 20 pounds.

14. bornagain on January 18, 2014 at 12:37

Lute Nikoley & Bea, if you’re reading this can you confirm Richard is ok? He seems way out of character. I hope he is ok. If he’s pranking us, he’s doing a darn good job of it.

15. Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 12:51

BornAgain, you seriously didn’t know?

I can argue consistently from within any paradigm, because I have an oniparadignmatic mind.

16. Pat on January 18, 2014 at 12:59

Haha!!! First Gladwell, now you. …… Kidding, this is what Thomas Merton called the “theology of hell” and deserves mocking like potato starch gives farting.

17. bornagain on January 18, 2014 at 13:07

I prefer your old monologue.

Here’s a challenge: can your omniparadignmatic mind argue from the Carbsane monologue? 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 13:12

Sure, on an empty stomach so I only dry heave.

• gabriella kadar on January 18, 2014 at 13:49

No man. Dry heaves are the worst. Better to projectile vomit.

18. Bob the Angel on January 18, 2014 at 13:28

Yeah, you’re a christian now eh? 🙂 How did you escape christianity the first/last time? And given that, why does the mind-numbing complexity of the organism that is us convince you of christianity? Not only that, specifically christianity over the thousands of other religions?

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 13:34

Bob, God’s mystery was made clear to me by faith. ‘Twas blind, but now I see; lost, but now I’m found.

Praise Jesus.

• gabriella kadar on January 18, 2014 at 13:53

Oh Richard, you are so full of gut microbiome.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 14:03

Gabriella:

“‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord.

“‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.’’

Isaiah 55:8-9

• Rob on January 18, 2014 at 16:36

Richard
      Long time reader, first time poster. To explain faith, for those readers who are unsure of the real meaning, this definition by Professor Peter Boghossian is worth watching, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp4WUFXvCFQ

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 22:07

“Oh Richard, you are so full of gut microbiome.,

And plus, Gabriella, God has ordained that his lesser children shall constitute at most 60% of His essence.

19. Los on January 18, 2014 at 14:59

Pastor Rick Warren: Fighting Obesity with Faith.

Daniel Diet book: lean protein, fruit, vegetables and whole grains.

Daniel Plan instructs people to rely on “God power” rather than just willpower to eat healthily.

Link to Wall Street Journal Article

I wish I could scam people like this guy can.

Oh Wait! Everybody buy my Protestant Protein Power book and have your credit cards ready.
    You will only be charged $199 monthly for my Protestant Protein that comes from Protestant raised cows. Act now and I will personally bless your protein packets before they leave the warehouse.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 15:03

Los

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.”
      Matthew 7:15 ESV

By their true acts in His name shall ye know them as Prophets of Truth!

20. bornagain on January 18, 2014 at 17:14

This post reminds me of the Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck mockumentary “I’m Still Here”. Nice performance by Joaquin and a nice performance by Richard too.

• Richard Nikoley on January 18, 2014 at 19:05

Is that where Joaquin went on some talk shows, stayed in character and freaked the shit out of people?

From the DVD cover, looks to be so from the clips I saw of Letterman (I think). I’ll have to watch that.

I haven’t seen Her, yet. Kinda ambivalent. It strikes me as even less than an animation, if you know what I mean. I’ll tell you what to see that’s out now. Of Saving Mr. Banks, Wolf of WS, and American Hustle, all of which I saw over the holidays, all of which I like and would recommend. AH hands down if you can only pick one. If you’re old enough to remember the 70’s it’s a fun coupla hours. Well done.

21. Bernhard on January 18, 2014 at 23:48

FTA has been hacked by some f*cking NSA basterds, they have taken over.
    Pax.

22. Bernhard on January 19, 2014 at 04:26

Another possibility. It’s the starch. The dreams. The gland. It’s hyper active.
    How about founding the “Eternal church of the holy starch granule”?
    Pacem.

23. Gaby A. on January 19, 2014 at 06:26
    • Gaby A. on January 19, 2014 at 06:27

A little Sunday devotional.

24. Bert on January 19, 2014 at 11:24

I think remember those figures from the TED talk audio included on the podcast.
    Also on the podcast, I remember the description of the processing of the potato starch. The question that arises from that is: What percentage of starch in a raw potato is resistant starch and what percentage is non-resistant starch?

I find that raw potatoes aren’t that bad, especially if eaten with other strong tasting food. Also adding the raw potato slices to a bowl of my mother’s mushy homemade vegetable soup, gives it back some of its missing texture 😉

Thanks!

25. GTR on January 19, 2014 at 11:58

So right now you should change your stance on health, don’t try to outsmart the will of God, but strive for punishment for your sins instead.

26. dpeck on January 19, 2014 at 15:25

I read Richard’s post and comments in an Eric Cartman voice. It fit perfectly.

27. leo delaplante on January 19, 2014 at 16:52

what i find odd here is that richard is answering in a few minutes after the comments are posted which leads me to think that he knows his bible in and out and has been a christian for a long time OR somebody else is writing these comments on his behalf

• Richard Nikoley on January 20, 2014 at 07:41

Nope, it’s me, leo.

Simply demonstrating that even though I don’t believe any of it and find it ridiculous, I can still argue from within that box, and quite effectively because all I have to be is consistent and not let Christians fudge on their literal “truths” or cherry pic the Bible as they always do.

From about age 10 to 18 when I left home to go to divinity school for a year, I lived amongst the fundamentalist born agains and yes, there are people who talk just like I wrote, above.

• leo delaplante on January 21, 2014 at 04:49

you got one sharp pencil backed by one sharp mind my friend

• leo delaplante on January 21, 2014 at 04:53

tu est chanceux de pouvoir t’exprimer si facilement

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2014 at 07:52

Leo:

Here’s why and how. It is actually easy.

• leo delaplante on January 26, 2014 at 12:57

so i guess i was on a different paradigm ,going against the norm of your paleo-ish blog site when i sent you a video from Dr Greger on the second meal effect of beans(legumes), ,,,when i went back on your site a few days later and saw all the new fuss about beans and i was totally flabbergasted..,oh no what have i done they are all talking about beans,,lol
      being a strict follower of PHD and paleo beans are not in my dietary repetoire,,but i agree with you that sometimes you just have to change things around and you are the master at that

28. Woodchuck Pirate on January 19, 2014 at 17:13

Richard,

Have you ever seen the movie “American Bible And Gun Club” ? Your monologue made me think of “Stan” trying to sell the old widow a bible, or at least a gun.

PS: I built a chicken coop and still nobody worships me. I know how God feels. Whatever happened to all the faith in the world?

29. ataraxia on January 21, 2014 at 09:30

“…an astronomical, exponential problem…”
    or :
    ‘How little we know that which we are. How less what we may be.’ – Lord Byron, who is therefore the one true prophet, thou shall not worship false prophets!

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2014 at 10:16

ataraxia:

If I’m honest the real fundamental reason I abandoned the assuredness of faith was that I kinda hate being assured.

I thrive on uncertainty.

I just wasn’t a match, though I can adequately pretend, as I believe I demonstrated.

30. ataraxia on January 21, 2014 at 10:30

Quite. What kitty? said Heisenberg to Shroedinger 🙂
    I always knew you were a physicist at heart

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2014 at 12:57

It takes but a fondness of consistent logic and intellectual honesty.

• Richard Nikoley on January 21, 2014 at 12:59

And that said, my fondness of consistent logic DIVORCED from intellectual honestly is manifest in the foregoing troll of Travis and others.

It is a mistake to believe that practitioners of myth are not exercising logic. But, logic is contextless, amoral, 1+1=2 stuff, nothing more. It is a tool that can be used anywhere, as well as to seduce, anywhere.

31. La Frite on January 21, 2014 at 14:15

To me, it looks like God took some form of resistant starch. His growing bacteria population (us) thrive on it, we just happen to call it “fossil fuels” and “ferment” it like crazy. We produce tons of shit gas in the process, and I predict that the divine fartage will be momentous 😀 But God’s Red Mill will be soon out of business, if one believes the peak fossil fuel thing … God should watch out for SIBO 😀

32. Charles on January 28, 2014 at 16:03

creation.org, “brother”

ofcourse you have faith – when you switch on the light switch – faith IN the power of electricity.

faith in jesus? well that will be based on what you decide about the messages around you. what does each person think based on these messages. thats the question. he has given lots of messages. from the stars to the bible to human relationships to all those cells. and the fact that we’re still all talking about him.

best proof that i know of? just mention on any internet forum the Jews and see how many yell out: “Jesus Christ!”

the religious kow-towing brother clubs? they all come from another source.

evolution? pull the other one mate 🙂

intelligence. knowledge. education. i’ll go for the first two any day. the last one is way too affected by the brother clubs. i thought that this understanding is what you stand for? 🙂