Intestinal Gluconeogenesis

One more for the low carbers, since gluconeogenesis is the only meow of the cat.

A novel function of intestinal gluconeogenesis: central signaling in glucose and energy homeostasis

Abstract

The gut can contribute to the control of glucose homeostasis by its high glycolytic capacity and a recently described function, gluconeogenesis. In addition to its quantitative role in endogenous glucose production, a qualitative role of central signaling was recently described for intestinal gluconeogenesis. Relating to the control of energy homeostasis, intestinal gluconeogenesis, by its detection by a hepatoportal glucose sensor, is able to generate a central signal promoting a decrease in food intake. This mechanism may contribute to the well-known satiety effect initiated by food protein. In relation to the control of glucose homeostasis, intestinal gluconeogenesis has been suggested to be a key factor of the central enhancement of insulin sensitivity for the whole body. It may account for the rapid amelioration of insulin resistance occurring after gastric bypass, a specific type of surgery for morbid obesity. Because these beneficial effects may take place in the context of established physiopathology, they allow one to envision new strategies of prevention or treatment of obesity and type 2 diabetes in humans. [emphasis added]

~~~

That’s all folks.

1. Hemming on January 23, 2014 at 02:39

Could this be part of the reason why many people feel less hungry when eating RS or am I way off?

• DuckDodgers on January 23, 2014 at 08:15

Yes. Richard posted another IGN study in this post and as you start to read more about IGN the picture becomes more clear.

2. DuckDodgers on January 23, 2014 at 08:11

n=1 update. I’ve been taking 3-4 Tbsp/day of PS since last summer, and have never felt that great ever taking more than 2 Tbsp in one sitting — in the past it made me feel a bit dizzy. Yesterday, I finally mustered up the courage to take my first “bolus” dose of 4 Tbsp in water on an empty stomach. I actually measured it out a bit more accurately because I was taking so much and my Tbsps have always been a bit on the light side.

Wow. The “bolus” dose is a whole different ballgame. I actually feel like I have a PS high. I feel amazing. Neurotransmitters are surging right now. I think my colon probably wasn’t getting that enough PS prior to yesterday — despite my habit of taking 3-4 Tbsp spread throughout the day. I did the bolus dose again today and just cannot believe the difference. I have a new respect for SCFAs and the bacteria that create them. To think that 99.999% of the people in the world have no clue what those little critters in their pooper chutes can do for them, if fed the right foods, is a crime.

Thanks again, Richard/Tatertot.

3. Michele on January 23, 2014 at 08:29

Hi DuckDodgers,

Can you further describe this “high”?….I’ve been having my PS (2 Tbsp) in the morning in water after only having had coffee with a splash of cream. I feel this type of calm that I only ever experienced smoking weed in college. Also, I am highly concentrated and come up with my best ideas at that time.

Is this what it is like for you?

• DuckDodgers on January 23, 2014 at 09:09

My mind feels ridiculously razor sharp and my mood feels fantastic.

And I’m not in ketosis, or anything like that — I eat plenty of starches.

• Richard Nikoley on January 23, 2014 at 09:11

“I feel this type of calm that I only ever experienced smoking weed in college.”

I feel another experiment coming on. 🙂

• sootedninjas on January 23, 2014 at 09:37

“super bowl” 😉

• Richard Nikoley on January 23, 2014 at 10:01

Did you see the meme making the rounds about Colorado and MA in the “Super Bowl?”

• Michele on January 24, 2014 at 06:10

You mean like smoking the PS? 😉

4. Thomas Hedlund on January 23, 2014 at 10:22

Latest Cell :
    Microbiota-Generated Metabolites Promote Metabolic Benefits via Gut-Brain Neural Circuits

That is the fermented result, Propionate and butyrate positively influence the host metabolism

5. Walter on January 24, 2014 at 15:53

Another article on the fiber, colon and glucose links. Fiber feeds bacteria which produce precusors to glucose, colon wall produces glucose which increases the body’s insulin sensitivity. Interesting discover all around.

6. […] adaptation for if and when we have only fat & protein, or unpalatable fiber (the gut makes glucose too). Depending upon individuality and "keto" adaptation, the brain needs a minimum of 60g glucose per […]