Writing Blues, Quick Food, Same Clothes, Vaping, and Bright Spots

Pretty much a Zombie, lately. I think it was John Durant who said, in reference to writing The Paleo Manifesto: Ancient Wisdom for Lifelong Health (highly recommended, especially the Biblical parts): “Writing a health book is the unhealthiest thing I’ve ever done.”

I can relate, but on a much smaller scale. I have Tim, and Tim does the dirty work up there in North Pole, AK where it’s 40 below, dark 21/7, and he has a case of cabin fever. I’m doing far, far less of the scrounging; most of the wordsmith, metaphor, story line, tie it together, make it engaging and so forth…and it’s excruciating for me. Way, way different than writing a blog post, or even a lot of blog posts.

Sometimes, I just stare at the screen for like 3 seconds without even writing anything.

Basically, working very well. Tim does stream of conscience so we get everything that can be on the page, on the page and way more because he’s a wild man. I do the best I can crafting it into something everyone can’t help but want to read and I emphasize: we’ve not yet used anything from the blog, and we’re over 300 pages, so far. It’s all new, all fresh, arranged around a story line.

It’s the story of the other 90% of you.

I’ve read enough over the years about the pain of actually writing a book, so I’ve taken some clues and while not paleo, at least gluten free. I keep my Cuisinart GriddlerExpress on the counter and plenty of Udi’s gluten free bread. I even had a PB&J the other day, perhaps the first one in a decade (no, I didn’t grill it).

IMG 2179
Grilled Cheese
IMG 2185
Patty Melt with a Reuben Twist (Thousand Island)
IMG 2174
“Vaping”

No haircuts or shaves planned, showers are only when I think I need one, and I’m basically wearing the same clothes up to 5 days at a time. Underwear isn’t really a concern, since I go commando.

In other news…

IMG 2177
Leaning Out!

I have come to loath the slightest distraction even if I’m not actually staring at the screen, or staring at the screen and writing. I think I even sent a terse email reply to my mom, in reply to some invite for something: “Nothing until the book is done! Don’t even ask!”

The other night I went to watch TV, catch up on some of my favorites that had been recorded on DVR. I watched for a few minutes and asked myself, “you really watch this crap, Richard?” It was unbearable. I was dumbfounded over how absolutely, concretely unbearable I found it. Had to turn it off. But I didn’t want to stare at the writing screen anymore for an hour, coming up with the next paragraph.

So I sat in the dark.

1. gabriella kadar on January 27, 2014 at 14:30

LOL! Great shit man. Love your toes. You’ve got my ‘fambly toes’…. big toe crossing over the next toe.

• Richard Nikoley on January 27, 2014 at 20:45

I’m proud of my Greek/Roman middle toe, and the crossover is just natural, something my family lafs about over the campfire,

2. Jason on January 27, 2014 at 15:11

“so I sat in the dark”, I’m sure our ancestors did plenty of that. I too like to do that, let’s me feel unplugged for awhile.

3. tatertot on January 27, 2014 at 16:54

Richard, what I do is sit in front of computer non-stop when I’m at home. I keep 2 tabs open (email and book). When a new email comes in, I check it and answer within seconds or read and delete. I probably get 200 a day, mostly from subscribed threads, but probably 20-50 from people that I like to answer. It’s usually a welcome diversion.

Anyway, I had this convo with Norm Robillard yesterday:

Norm 1/26/14

True enough. I need to follow that advice more myself.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 1:39 PM, AK Tim wrote:

Here’s a good one for you, Norm.

Back when I was a big, fat trainwreck, I’d come home from work and pig out all night, drink beer, and watch TV with terrible heartburn, popping Tums like candy.

When I started eating right, quick drinking, and started exercising–all the heartburn went away. This Winter, I have been spending way too much time on the computer. Plopping down after dinner and clicking away until bed time, neglecting my nightly walks or 30 minutes on the treadmill. Guess what reappeared? The heartburn. After about 2 weeks of writing how great potato starch is for everything under the sun while having heartburn at the same time made me realize that sitting after eating was not good for me.

My new routine, eat dinner, relax a bit and do some chores around the house, then 30 minutes of treadmill or going outside and tromping around in the cold, THEN sitting and working on the computer for a few hours. Lo and behold, no more heartburn.

I wonder how many others would benefit from a similar routine? Eating, then being a couch potato seems to cause poor gastric emptying or something strange that causes indigestion and an insatiable need for antacids. Probably also translates to people with sedentary desk jobs.

Seems like years of that pattern would lead to dysbiosis, overgrowths, etc..

• Richard Nikoley on January 27, 2014 at 20:55

It’s true. In times in life where I had no Tums or baking soda (nuclear option), have a glass of water, go walk for 30 minutes.

You’ll cure the heartburn, come out better on other levels. White guy meditation.

4. Nick on January 27, 2014 at 17:25

My exercise solution when I’m time-crunched is 10 minutes of HIIT on a stationary bike.

5. James H. on January 28, 2014 at 07:29

“‘…you really watch this crap, Richard?’ It was unbearable.'”

I actually laughed when I read these words. I work in the oil fields of west Texas in a mobile laboratory and, being a loner, work in self-imposed isolation 99.99% of the time. Although there is satellite TV here in the lab I rarely turn it on. I don’t know how many channels are available, around 80 I am guessing, but the pickin’s are mighty slim. Celebrity shows and reality shows seem to make up the bulk of the programming and they are of course the worst. On the movie channels, of which there are many, just how many times can one watch The Terminator or one of the interminable Jason Bourne flicks?

Without my Kindle, the internet, and whittling, sepuku would be the only (short-lived) entertainment option remaining.

6. Woodchuck Pirate on January 28, 2014 at 09:44

Richard,

Accept optimism and inspiration as many of us are, in learning that the miserable communist Pete Seeger can finally be put to use as compost. One can hope his useful idiot Bruce Springsteen will soon follow. As the collectivist slime is burned away from earth, your work moves toward open hands of decent folks. That is anarchy.

Woodchuck Pirate
    aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

7. BigRob on January 28, 2014 at 11:12

Fear and Loathing Richard style. I like it.