Another Resistant Starch Facial Recomposition in Spite of 10 lb Weight Gain

Remember Michelle from a few days back, the one who  presented at the hospital with a BG of 680, diagnosed diabetic (type 2) ketoacidosis? By way of review:

I started upping my carbs two months into my personal n=1 PS experiment that started in November and now eat between 100-200 grams of carbs (tho I’ve had days where I ate up to 600) and my blood glucose per my meter is great. I ate a mound of Richard’s garlic fried rice with a steak and green beans tonight, and my BG before: 95, to one hour after: 110. Two hours, down to 90. It seems like the more carbs I eat the lower my reading goes.

A little bit more about her:

Michelle Shelton of Coastal Oregon, where the sun never shines and the mold is deep and perpetual. Maybe I’ll get a stalker or something.

Really, put whatever you want. I just hope they can see the difference. There really is, trust me. I feel REALLY different, in a great way.

She has a blog: Crop Circles in the Carpet.

A couple of days ago I put up Charles Richardson’s face recomposition photos, and principally because I had just begun noticing the same thing in myself. I knew what I was looking at immediately. I’ve been having face pics sent to me by readers since 2008. I know fake and contrived. This was not.

But, of course, it brought out all the hand wringers, the generally entitled; those who believe, for whatever reason, that I or Charles owe them something. You’d have thought one photo they didn’t like because of lighting differences was enough to undercut 3 decades of research and thousands of studies.

I put this up late last evening so many of you may not have seen it, but you want to make sure you do: Resistant starch and energy balance: impact on weight loss and maintenance. It’s a review of all the literature—animal and human—where diet and weight loss were being looked at. The punch line, if you can believe it, is that RS, while giving a host of other benefits, is not a weight loss tool. Why? Because it increases lean mass! Get it? IOW, technically true, but misses the point. The gold standard is body recomposition, fat loss combined with lean gain, the scale is just a number.

Michelle posted in the comments.

Holy cow. I think I might have a fairly good picture set as well. I took a pic on Jan 26 of myself, and just went and looked at some other camera phone pics and found one I took on Nov. 5, a few days after I started PS. My face was really swollen in the Nov 5 pic, and I only realized it now looking at the Jan 26 pic. I did not lose weight, I gained it but I actually look thinner. How would I go about showing my pics? I don’t care who knows who I am; I am officially nobody in this world 🙂

Well, owing the reaction to Charle’s non-professional-studio-photogapher-quality lighting and color matching, Michelle tried to make sure there might be something for everyone to judge. So here they are, three sets.

me two times

me again 2

me three 2

About the photos, she adds:

How about this? I don’t think it looks as dramatic as the other photo but that’s what I get for drinking three beers last night, lol.

No, I gained 10 pounds.

I am sorry I look so grim but I just read the comments about Charles’ pic and I don;t think anything will satisfy that crew.

I am going to take one more pic in a few to see if I can get the light to match and I will send that if it looks different. I think the pic I took just now shows that my face has narrowed quite a bit, but maybe it is just me.

In terms of the ‘grim’ look, just tell people it’s your Kathy Bates in Misery impersonation. 🙂

Michelle, if they don’t know what they’re seeing, then I think you know what you can conclude about that, especially given a 10 pound weight gain, which, coming full circle would be predicted by the research I cited. In addition to lowered inflammation which I’m sure is a contributing factor, the only way to pull that off with 10 pounds gained is a body recomposition. Lean is denser than fat, so you lost some fat, gained some lean, for an overall net gain and better appearance.

Just like body builders do.

1. Donald Mann on February 15, 2014 at 16:11

Oh yeah!!!!! That’s a really scientific and objective study. There is not a single thing that can be learned from studying those photos except perhaps you should buy a better camera! They have nothing in common . . . except for the subject . . . and I’m not even sure about that!!!

• Ed R on February 15, 2014 at 16:23

Damn. Some people would bitch and moan even if you were hanging them with a new rope. If you can do better…SHOW US.

• Richard Nikoley on February 15, 2014 at 16:38

Donald

You get the blind moron award for the day. Don’t complain to us about your problems with sight.

“That’s a really scientific and objective study.”

And that gets the stupid award. This was in no way presented as anything other than anecdote.

• Harriet on February 15, 2014 at 17:23

Sorry, it becomes data once its documented. We have to move away from the idea that only randomised controlled trials are research. Research also include many, many other methods in addition to RCTs. There are case controlled studies and also lots of research that is descriptive. Researchers also collect lots of data from consecutive cases, which is what we are doing informally here. Lots of data can contribute to hypothesis generating research. With photographs this is an n=1 study. It doesn’t prove anything, but it is descriptive for those with the eyes to see. What I see is a slimmer, less bloated looking face. It appears “healthier” and I would encourage Michelle to document her health and activity levels as she goes.

• bornagain on February 15, 2014 at 18:56

Donald, going by the look of your own face, I’m not sure you’re in a position to judge anyone else’s before or after photos. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1=not inflamed, 10=badly inflamed), you’re about an 8. You’re worse than Michelle’s before photo anyway, let’s just leave it at that.

• Amy on February 15, 2014 at 22:10

Who said it was scientific? Grow a clue Donald.
      Anyone reporting anything to do with THEIR experience with RS adds to the community learning.
      Comments like yours are as useful as a turd in a swimming pool.

• Richard Nikoley on February 15, 2014 at 22:33

“Grow a clue Donald.”

Is that what you girls are calling it now, Amy?

A Clue.

I see possibilities.

Hey girl, want a clue?

Hey, have I got a clue for you?

Want an enormous clue?

I’ll give you a clue, but it’s pretty hard.

Thanks Amy. That was fun.

• Donald Mann on February 16, 2014 at 15:36

If one is going to use photos as evidence, one should attempt to eliminate as many variables as possible!

I am not questioning the honesty of the OP, however, she should have made the “after” post with similar conditions: lighting, glasses vs no glasses, background, clothing etc.. The photos should have even be made at the same time of day, because you are puffier in the evening than in the morning. The existing submission is almost as meaningless as the comments to my remarks!!!!

I am experimenting with RS myself, but I won’t post any findings or results until I have some objective information to share.

Sorry to have offended all the RS fanboys!!!!!! Especially you Richard!!!!! Personal insults are the tool of an inferior mind struggling to express itself forcefully!!!! :-))

• Charles on February 16, 2014 at 15:49

Donald, you ignorant slut, as Dan Ackroyd would say.

I am fairly certain that neither Michelle nor I are posting these as “evidence.” They are not intended to prove anything. They are merely informational. As I think I said a few times, others noted these changes before I did, and mentioned them. I didn’t notice until recently, when it become obvious even to me that something had changed. I look at my face every day, as most people do, so a slowly developed change isn’t really noticeable. I had that earlier picture, and asked the same photog friend to take another. Unfortunately for the cause of broscience, he didn’t recreate the same lighting and pose. If this was a controlled scientific study, I might have done that, or taken measurements.

I originally just sent them to Richard and a couple of others to see if they noticed anything, and if perhaps the same thing had happened to their faces/bodies. That’s kind of how we roll here, since this is new territory for everyone. Just like the vivid dreaming thing, until someone else mentioned it, no one knew it was a common effect of increased RS. Now we’re finding that reduced puffiness/swelling is another. We don’t need the photos to prove that as it’s obvious to one’s self and others seeing us in person. The photos are just interesting. At least to some. If they aren’t to you, well that’s fine. I find it amazing how angry you are about the whole thing, though. Perhaps something else in your life is making you so unhappy? Sorry to hear that.

• Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 15:50

I did make the picture the same time of the day, due to the light at my home. We are dark here for a large portion of the day due to trees/forest. All of the pictures were taken, except the one with the glasses, in the same hall, using the same light. The only difference is the phone. The one with the glasses was taken with a different phone than the first photo and the other two after.

I’d like to point out you used a personal insult towards Richard in your mini rant, and prove your own assertion.

• Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 16:01

What Charles said.

Thanks!

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2014 at 19:54

Donald

I will be holding my breath for your “objective information” because apparently, the good Lord knows that you are the exclusive judge.

So you better be careful, lest someone else claim it to be subjective, offering to put up something objective.

2. Oh, and a pic | Crop Circles in the Carpet on February 15, 2014 at 16:14

[…] This was one of the pics I sent to Richard at Free The Animal to go along with some information he blogged about for RS results. It’s my favorite of the pics, though he’s going to post several others. Update: his post is up. Here’s the link. […]

3. Michelle on February 15, 2014 at 16:26

People are creepy and ultimately disappointing. Thanks for participating, Donald. Next!

• gabriella kadar on February 15, 2014 at 18:49

Definitely less puffiness around the top eyelids. Cheeks are less flabby. Michelle, my heart goes out to you, girl. I read how you felt when you tried to jog and I laughed out loud. What a description! Keep going babe. You’ll get to where you want to go. I have no doubt about it. Some people have absolutely no concept of what it is like to rehab after almost dying. I do. All the best.

• Kate on February 16, 2014 at 08:18

Michelle, the changes in the pictures are quite dramatic. And in such a short time. Keep up the good work and don’t let any a-holes get you down for even a second.

4. Carl on February 15, 2014 at 16:30

Not sure why Donald’s being jumped on. I’m loving resistant starch, but absolutely nothing can be told from any of the three comparisons.

• Richard Nikoley on February 15, 2014 at 16:39

Carl

You’re blind too. Don’t sweat it man, but you’re blind as a bat.

• Harriet on February 15, 2014 at 17:27

Carl and Donald if you don’t know why you are being jumped on then you need to stop commenting until you learn the level of your ignorance. You need to learn how to see differences and to learn the implications of those differences. Otherwise you are a distinct social liability to yourself and your social network.

5. Richard Nikoley on February 15, 2014 at 16:43

BTW, Donald, Carl:

I almost never get comms from actual body builders. Within 15 minutes of posting this I got an email from one, and a tweet from another (and by his profile pic, serious BB).

Both wanted to know how best to dose RS.

Why do you suppose that is? They aren’t blind, that’s for sure. And they know a thing or two about body recomposition, look for every edge and don’t have time to waste on BS.

As I said before, I’ve been looking at this stuff for 6 years now, hundreds of comparison photos. I know what I’m looking at, the two of you apparently do not, have zero idea of inflammation markers, zero idea that body recoup almost always shows up in the face first.

So, how about go strut your ignorance elsewhere.

• Charles on February 16, 2014 at 15:57

My ex was a professional athlete, and I helped her with training and coaching an nutrition for a decade or so. I got very used to at looking closely at her face and body to see what was going on, and how her nutrition or her training regimen was reflected externally. So it’s kind of learning a way of looking at stuff. And Richard has had the same experiences. Those who haven’t probably just don’t have the visual skills to see what’s obvious to someone who’s done it for a while. I have racing sailor friends who can look at the sky and the water, and see where the next puff of wind is going to come from, when and for how long. I can’t see shit where they see a whole hell of a lot of real data. There’s no shame in ignorance, I have plenty of that to spare. But the anger and entitlement thing is weird.

• Charles on February 16, 2014 at 16:24

I just want (no demand) to know what Richard is going to do with the eleven or twelve dollars he’s made from the Amazon like to BRM PS. But I guess paying people to write those fake scientific journal articles can’t be cheap. They almost look like real scientific papers. But I bet Donald will spot something in the kerning…

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2014 at 20:07

Well Charles, thank you for that introduction. In fact, I gave a presentation about this very thing at AHS12, Harvard Law School, and to sum it up, it’s about quality of knowledge, juxtaposing the Paleolithic with the Neolithic.

Doubt Donald will watch it. He believes on “objective” knowledge–and I’m a Rand fan, I just understand the limits of her [subjective] view.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2014 at 20:25

I have skilz, Charles. I’ve got dozens…no hundreds…of PhD researchers working on the come. Well, not entirely. They get a 4 oz bag of Tigernuts quarterly.

6. Art on February 15, 2014 at 16:46

Nicely done, Michelle!

20% less inflamed. 10 % more severe. Swings and roundabouts.

It was all here for me, just as it has all been here for you, the best and the worst of Western Civilization, if you cared to pay attention: music, finance, government, architecture, law and sculpture and painting, history and medicine and athletics and every sort of science, and books, books, books, and teachers and role models.
    People so smart you can’t believe it, and people so dumb you can’t believe it. People so nice you can’t believe it, and people so mean you can’t believe it.

-K V Jr

• Richard Nikoley on February 15, 2014 at 17:21

Art:

Thank you, sir. I’m 53, and I still only need reading glasses.

7. Richard Nikoley on February 15, 2014 at 16:59

Donald, Carl:

Are either or both of you any of the males who showed up on Michelle’s blog to post derisive comments on her appearance? I’ve asked Michele to forward me the comments she didn’t put through moderation and if I find it’s either of you, you’ll be invited to never post a comment here again.

I have slammed fatties, I was one. But never, ever if they are working to do something about it and put themselves out there for others to see.

Whoever did that should be ashamed of themselves.

• Donald Mann on February 16, 2014 at 15:45

Sorry to disappoint you dick, but I have never been to Michelle’s blog. I didn’t even know that she had one.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2014 at 19:58

“Sorry to disappoint you dick”

You assume much, it seems.

8. Kyle on February 15, 2014 at 17:33

Wow, that’s a profound change! You look like a different person. I haven’t seen that much of a change in my face (yet), but I could really benefit. Change or no change, keeping up the RS for many, many other reasons….

9. Lars on February 15, 2014 at 17:55

The change in those pics looks promising 🙂 Going to keep downing the ps, next to get some prescript assist here in Sweden.

10. Kim C on February 15, 2014 at 18:00

Those pics are extremely motivating. I hope to have similar results. Thanks, Michelle for being brave enough to put yourself out there.

11. Michelle on February 15, 2014 at 19:36

Thank you for the kind words, all. I really should say an extra large thank you to Richard, for all the work and encouragement, and to “Tatertot” Tim for being the researcher with the mostest. And the best nickname. As I told Richard, I can only aspire to that level of coolness. Heh.

• Charles on February 16, 2014 at 13:29

Michelle: Congrats! You look fabulous. It’s amazing to me both that some people can’t see the difference and that they would spend time and key clicks to point that out. As Richard says, ignore the haters, you can’t fix stupid. You will be an inspiration to a lot of people.

I think all the vitriol may result from the fact we are so used to these dramatic Biggest-Loser-style weight loss before-and-afters where someone has lost 100 lbs. So more subtle (though to most people, obvious) changes don’t make an impression. But the anger is really strange and borderline pathological.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 15:34

“You will be an inspiration to a lot of people.”

This is the most important thing. While ignorance struts, others will come here, look at the pics and see vanity in their future. They too will know what they’re seeing.

By my calculations, women spend like half their waking lives looking at their faces in the mirror. They knew in a microsecond what they’re looking at, Michelle.

And I don’t care whether they want to get super healthy and lose a tone, of improve something in their lives and this looks like an easy way to do it. If they do the RS their gut health will absolutely improve no matter what else they are doing, and than could lead to other improvements down the road.

Broscience notwithstanding.

12. Richard Nikoley on February 15, 2014 at 21:00

I’ve just updated the post about Charles, and put this out on Social Media:

~~~

I have a heavy heart. Some folks were incensed that the side to side photo of Charles was problematic, because it showed a left profile in different lighting. Charles and I got together, came to Jesus, and he produced another photo.

We’re so sorry. See the updated photo set. The update is toward the bottom of the post. So humbling. At first, I just thought people were being unreasonable, so I hope I’ve corrected all that and Lord knows, my readers are owed everything from me. I owe them no limit of working my fingers to the bone to produce nothing but total quality for their free reading enjoyment.

Their entitlement is my life’s work.

13. Ralnac on February 16, 2014 at 16:48

Ok yall,
    a quick google search turns up a really great review about the effects of short chain fatty acids absorbed from the colon to the REST of the body.

Journal of Lipid Research
    The role of short-chain fatty acids in the interplay between diet, gut microbiota and host
    energy metabolism
    Gijs den Besten1,3, Karen van Eunen1,3, Albert K. Groen1,2,3, Koen Venema3,4, Dirk-Jan
    Reijngoud1,2,3 and Barbara M. Bakker1,3,*

56 pages of viewing pleasure.

page 18 and 19 discuss the role of short chain fatty acid receptors in the regulation of lipid and glucose metabolism, immune system; these are found in brown and white adipose tissue, bone marrow, spleen, pancreas and large intestine, lymph nodes. Short chain fatty acids and activated protein muscle kinase, energy for the liver and supply generally 10% of the energy needs of the host.

So, uh they’re not just feeding the colon.

• Charles on February 16, 2014 at 19:13

I have theorized in the past that SCFA production had something to do with sleep improvements. Well, apparently that’s not entirely a crazy speculation. Not definitive, but interesting:

Deficiency in short-chain fatty acid beta-oxidation affects theta oscillations during sleep.
      Tafti M, Petit B, Chollet D, Neidhart E, de Bilbao F, Kiss JZ, Wood PA, Franken P.
      Author information
      Abstract
      In rodents, the electroencephalogram (EEG) during paradoxical sleep and exploratory behavior is characterized by theta oscillations. Here we show that a deficiency in short-chain acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase (encoded by Acads) in mice causes a marked slowing in theta frequency during paradoxical sleep only. We found Acads expression in brain regions involved in theta generation, notably the hippocampus. Microarray analysis of gene expression in mice with mutations in Acads indicates overexpression of Glo1 (encoding glyoxylase 1), a gene involved in the detoxification of metabolic by-products. Administration of acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR) to mutant mice significantly recovers slow theta and Glo1 overexpression. Thus, an underappreciated metabolic pathway involving fatty acid beta-oxidation also regulates theta oscillations during sleep.

• Charles on February 16, 2014 at 19:17

Also: “Prebiotics (as soluble fibre in vegetables especially pulses, vegetables, nuts and seeds or as frucoto-oligosaccharides). Prebiotics feed bacteroides in the large bowel which ferment to produce short chain fatty acids – when blood sugar levels fall mitochondria happily swap to SCFAs as a fuel source. Indeed over 500kcals a day can be generated in this way. SCFAs help to prevent hypoglycaemia especially during sleep.”

• gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 19:31

Charles, that’s why I’ve suggested to Michelle that she mix a little bit of psyllium with the potato starch and take it later in the evening. It should help to spread out the time of fermentation and provide her with a more even blood glucose during sleep. The morning sugars should go down.

• Ralnac on February 16, 2014 at 19:52

Sleep improvement hasn’t kicked in for me yet (often wake too early ie 4:00 am) and I rarely remember dreams. Maybe that will change. I’m only a couple weeks into this.

• Charles on February 16, 2014 at 19:58

Yeah, I think we’re saying the same thing.

• Kim C on February 17, 2014 at 01:57

Early waking has been an issue here, too, but I wake bright-eyed and energized, so I’m not too concerned. I have had and remembered to fairly intense dreams, however.

• Harriet on February 17, 2014 at 15:43

Rainac, sleep improvement didn’t kick in for me till I was up to 4 tbs a day at week 4, taking two of them just before bed. And it isn’t constant. I’ve only had one night where I slept right through. Mostly I wake up some time between midnight and 3 am for a pee. But I mostly sleep very heavily though and feel better for it and my middle of the night waking isn’t for hours any more, more like 5 – 20 mins. My dreams aren’t as vivid now as they were when I started sleeping heavily. My sleep is interrupted by too much 70% chocolate (anything over 10g) and also when my guts go through a periodic readjustment (such as at week 6 when I got diarrhoea, blood sugar problems at night and a few other things). I’m assuming that the seemingly backward step is due to a change in the bacteria for the good in the long run, rather than problems with the PS per se. The blood sugar problems at night would have been due to the fast track through the gut of the PS the evening before, I think.

14. Matper on February 16, 2014 at 02:59

“Lean is denser than fat, so you lost some fat, gained some lean, for an overall net gain and better appearance.

Just like body builders do.”

This makes absolutely no sense. Is she lifting weights? Resistant starch is useful nad effective at what it does but it CANNOT promote lean mass gain. It just doesn’t make any sense. Oh and there’s no scientific explanation either. C’mon Richard resistant starch is no superfood (a stupid concept). Just take the bronze medal and be content.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 08:21

You didn’t read the study link I posted, did you, addressing that very thing?

I don’t know what ignorance you’re operating from, Matper, but one does not need to “lift weights” to experience hypertrophy.

That’s all I’m saying about it except that in her specific case, she is “lifting weights,” because she’s still obese.

• Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 09:11

I know that I am acquiring lean mass as I have some muscle on my arms and legs that did not stand out before. When I lost all that weight prior to the DK episode, I could barely lift my arms over my head and had to rest after getting dressed. My muscles literally wasted away over a matter of weeks and I could barely walk. Literally. It was very frightening and I felt like I was going to die.
      This did not start to change until some point after I started taking the PS. Even after I got my BG under some control and was eating VLC, I was still very weak and tired easily.

About 2 weeks into my RS n=1 something changed; I don’t know how to define it other than my energy level started to increase. After I added carbs, my energy levels REALLY changed. There’s really no explanation other than the addition of PS. I did not start exercising, I did not change my diet from VLC to adding carbs until January. I started PS in November. I take no drugs, never have, and only added a handful of supplements in January. The changes started in November.

Now, I find myself jumping around, in spite of being VERY fat, and chase my dogs all over the place.
      It’s all very unexpected, as I was searching for a solution to my increasingly poor blood glucose control, NOT looking for weight loss or exercise tips. I do plan on starting to lift weights after we move in mid March into a house. But as Richard said, I lift some weights just getting my fat butt out of a chair. I have legs like tree trunks for a girl, and it’s not all fat.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 10:52

Michelle

Have you ever lifted weights where you would experience the 2nd day soreness? Now, can you recall after starting the PS feeling the same sort of thing, like total body mild soreness, especially in the lager back, butt and leg muscles?

I have heard many reports of mild soreness of this sort over the month and I experienced it to, but since I’ve had a lot of experience with better than average heavy lifting (DLs at #325 for reps at 50-yrs-old, for example) I knew what I was feeling in spite of not exercising for many months, now. Essentially, my muscles overall feel tight and toned all over, just as they did when I was lifting twice per week.

• Ellen on February 17, 2014 at 07:35

Richard, I have experienced that over the past couple of months. Was wondering why my arms and legs were mildly sore when I had not done anything more strenuous than a long walk or some very gentle yoga. This is good to know.

• gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 19:26

Michelle, improvement in sleep quality results in an increase in growth hormone production by the pituitary gland. Increased growth hormone stimulates muscle growth.

The ‘no brainer’ doubters are out of their league when it comes to understanding physiology.

The brilliant thing about muscle growth: it is rapid when given the chance.

• Art on February 16, 2014 at 23:01

Exactly.

I pride my self on not understanding these things but 5 mins with Google Scholar should be enough to raise doubts in the minds of these excitable, unthinking naysayers.

My blind stumblings quickly suggest as a possibility:

RS –> Propionate –>Leptin upregulation (Sated anybody?)–>Increased Short Wave Sleep–> Growth Hormone production

• Art on February 16, 2014 at 23:32

Very stumbly: that’s slow, not short, wave sleep

15. Resurgent on February 16, 2014 at 08:39

@MATPER and all other disbelievers – words like “CANNOT promote lean mass gain ” only go to show your ignorance and your dogma. Yours is only a ‘belief’, the person reporting this amazing change is talking ‘experience’ – they are presenting a proof in vivid pictures. You are contesting it with outdated theory and eyes wide shut. Every useful research in history has started with and has been supported by anecdotal evidence.
    If you cannot contribute to intelligent discussion here, please go and suck a genital organ of your choice.

• Kate on February 16, 2014 at 11:25

@Resurgent, “Every useful research in history has started with and has been supported by anecdotal evidence.” Hear hear! I get really tired of the research police poo pooing anecdotal and clinical outcomes. When it comes to health and nutrition, they are often some of the few signposts not pointing in the wrong direction in the wilderness of dietary and medical advice.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 11:53

It’s why I titled my AHS11 presentation: “Self-Experimentation: The Best Science”

In the end, the only science that really matters is what works for you.

• Harriet on February 16, 2014 at 14:02

Remember that research police are usually not researchers. Most researchers know that there are many research methods. I’d like it known that documented anecdotes with data – photographs, descriptions and before and after figures are no longer “just anecdotes” but they are data, and hence useful research. On this website WE ARE DOING RESEARCH. Get that into your heads. Not all research is or has to be written up and published in peer reviewed journals – it just needs to be if you want to refer to it in other peer reviewed research. However what we are doing is Action Research – where we reflect on what we are doing, we try something, report back (documenting it), reflect again, discuss and see where it fits in to the existing knowledge base and where it doesn’t, and act again. This journey of ours could be written up as Action Research, just as is, with the data that comes in daily reporting in from participants on this website. Where and how we would get it published is another issue.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 16:13

Harriet

It’s too bad hunter gatherers didn’t have research. Perhaps then they could have survived all on their own, maybe even without a social structure.

16. Manimal on February 16, 2014 at 08:43

Its just water retention issue and that can easily be manipulated by changing sodium/potassium. BBers use this pre contest.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 10:37

Manimal

Tell you what. You believe all the Broscience you want, I’ll consult the actual 30 years and thousands of studies on RS in animals and humans, as well as the just published review of all the studies looking at weight loss.

You can feel free to Brodazzle us with your explanation of how Michelle gained 10 pounds of water weight, yet looks as though she lost 10-20 pounds.

• gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 19:28

Manimal, fine tuning the potassium/sodium balance in a healthy person with no underlying metabolic or physiologic pathology is one thing. Achieving it when someone has been through a health crisis is another thing altogether. Get with the program or you’ll be left far behind.

• Manimal on February 17, 2014 at 01:52

Weight and water retention can be manipulated by NA/K pump and glycogen levels. This isnt broscience but how our bodies work. You claim person in photos gained 10lbs lean mass…DEXA scan or calipers or anything to prove that?

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2014 at 21:52

Maminal, soon it will be 12 hours since you put up that challenge, so I think everyone pretty much knew that you simply don’t understand the point and are hopeless just like a few others.

Hopelessness is fine, but looks like nobody is gonna waste their time beyond the para and a half I’ve now wasted,

17. tatertot on February 16, 2014 at 10:28

Posting this against Richard’s warning to keep my computer turned off while on vacation in Hawaii…

What I love about Michelle’s journey is that hopefully it is the start of a trend, to first heal the gut and then work on weight loss. Everyone has been doing it totally backwards for years, Richard and I leading the pack. We lost weight at any cost, trashing the gut microbiome along the way.

I can’t wait to see more people like Michelle go about it from the opposite direction–fix the gut, feed the gut, then worry about losing the weight. RS and probiotics will play heavily in a plan like this, but it won’t be popular: “New RS diet! Gain 5 pounds in one week!”

If fixing the gut means less inflammation and an additional few pounds of lean body mass, I think most will be accepting of it. It’s just so hard for people who are trying to lose weight, have lost weight, or who are maintaining a weight loss to see the scale go up.

We may end up with the first ‘diet plan’ that encourages weight gain for the first few weeks, won’t that be a hoot?

• cliff styles on February 16, 2014 at 12:18

+100

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 12:37

And let’s not forget that a bulkier colon and other gut components, as shown in all the studies, is lean mass, not fat mass.

18. Ralnac on February 16, 2014 at 12:30

Good for you Michelle. I am a couple weeks into deliberately adding resistant starch to feed up my ‘crobes. glad to hear your experiences and energy boost (what I’m currently lacking). I was already eating lots of beans rice and potatoes. Now I try to freeze them first.

I have had the experience over about the last couple months of slow weight loss of 10+ lbs and a pants size or two. At the same time I have implemented frequent baths in Dead Sea Salt because I have been working to detox and heal from an accidental poisoning in November. I ate raw swiss chard from my garden just before Thanksgiving and all hell broke loose in my body. It is high in toxic oxalic acid like rhubarb leaves. Also high in nitrate because of the cold season, also plants produce their own antifreeze which is literally like antifreeze. Chard also contains a great many phenolic compounds. Whatever the combination of food chemicals substances, it overwhelmed my body and I developed a gazillion food sensitivites, couldn’t eat kefir or eggs anymore, just the smell of a tomato made my face itch. chemical sensitivies, histamine overload, itching, racing heart, blood pressure all over the place, blood sugar dysregulation and extremely acidic urine with little crystals. It burned all the way through my gi tract too and gave me a bleeding hemorrhoid. Probably temporarily blocked bile ducts, I had pale poo for a few days) As a result of that experience I read up on how they deal with salicylate poisoning in the ER: alkalize with baking soda and replete with potassium so your kidneys can excrete the badness.

Well to make a long story longer, I had Dead Sea Salt on hand which is primarily magnesium chloride and potassium chloride. Turns out that soaking in it made me feel better. It was about the only thing that made me feel better. I developed fibro type tender points for a few weeks (oxalate crystals can collect in the soft tissues, organs and joints and cause inflammation) but amazingly was able to eventually soak them away with my many dead sea salt baths. I focused on detoxing but realized I probably had an extremely leaky gut. I started taking small doses of bentonite clay before bed and upping my water intake.
    As I gradually improved, I noticed my pants were getting bigger and lumpy thighs less lumpy. There is a theory that one function of body fat is to sequester the toxic load that the kidneys, liver, skin and digestive organs cannot excrete, get it out of circulation so as to damage the body less. If you improve those excretory pathways the fat storage becomes less needed. I dont know if that is the case, but just promoting one more excretion pathway through Dead Sea Salt baths may be helping me heal, of course I am proving extra minerals to help the kidneys and enzymes do their job.

Now I’m just trying to get my gut bugs to prosper, and fix that excretion pathway.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 15:12

“Re weight, as I was researching I came across a study feeding resistant starch to hogs. At slaughter the weight of their colon was much greater than the controls (muscly and developed) although they weighed about the same as the controls. I’ll have to look for the study.”

Yea, Tim and I have seen that, or similar studies and in fact, was one of the early things we talked about. This counts at least in part for the lean gain that can take place upon initial dosing.

Don’t let Ron Stone in on it, though. The Broscience is Strong in Him.

• Ralnac on February 16, 2014 at 17:15

I do wonder about the people who get inflamed joints or whatever trying resistant starch.

It might be the oxalate issue for some. Oxalate is fairly high in many veggies, nuts and fruits. Since I am positive that I react to oxalate myself (some people absorb too much from the GI tract because they are missing gut bugs), I have been taking calcium citrate powder with my meals/smoothies as a precaution, and being sure I up my mineral intake. I haven’t experienced any joint problems or pain adding the starch.

This is supposed to let the oxalate in the gut bind to the calcium to form insoluble crystals and leave with the poo. Evidently the body also dumps excess oxalate into the gut for excretion when there’s too much in the bloodstream. This leads to an occasional phenomenon called “sandy poops” and is common in autism and the “trying low oxalates” yahoo group. Light or dark granules in the stool.

• gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 18:38

‘crobes. Love it.

• james london on February 17, 2014 at 04:53

Ralnac this is really helpful – I’ve never heard of oxalate before, but the phrase “bleeding hemorrhoid” jumped out of your post and further googling throws up lots of “rectal burning” – these are among my most persistent symptoms but don’t seem to crop up much as a GI issue for that many people.

I’ve not detected negative symptoms from RS, but apart from vivid (sadly not x-rated) dreams have not really seen any positives either. I’m on a mercury detox journey and now wonder if my gut dysbiosis has taken the form of reduced oxalate excretion.

The autism connection is interesting too – I have “inattentive” ADHD.

Will now give low oxalate diet a try…

• Ralnac on February 17, 2014 at 08:10

I want to caution anyone who decides to try lowering oxalates to decrease GRADUALLY.
      Doing so abruptly can cause bad symptoms in individuals who have oxalate stored in tissues as the body decides to eliminate it. I highly highly recommend Dead Sea Salt baths as a mag and potassium source during this process.

Rebuilding gut flora seems to be critical to handle dietary oxalates, and too much oxalate can kill gut flora. Many foods with high fiber are high in oxalate. Kind of a catch 22. Plus oxalate is known to cause histamine release. It’s a very reactive molecule.

Food lists can be found under these tabs… http://www.lowoxalate.info/recipes.html

You have to consider whether you are eating truly high oxalate and cut out highest sources of oxalate first. If you are currently eating lots of nuts, grains, legumes, tubers, spinach, chard etc then pick a few sources to cut first. Add calcium citrate and extra minerals at mealtime to bind the oxalate you do eat.

I am not eating a low oxalate diet at this time. I am eating probably medium. I eat potatoes and carrots, but I boil them first. Sometimes I throw in a bit of bentonite clay in the boiling water to soak up soluble acids. Am I losing vitamins too? Probably, but I can’t afford oxalate overload while rebuilding my gut. I will continue using potato and tapioca starch too with calcium citrate as insurance and probiotics and extra fiber.

To complicate the picture, some foods are high in oxalate, but low in BIOAVAILABLE or soluble oxalate. For example black beans are very high in oxalate, pinto beans are high also. But the oxalate isn’t generally very well absorbed. I comfortably eat beans and I add calcium citrate at mealtime for insurance. If my daughter eats too many beans, it makes her mouth itch. Hey, she hasn’t been taking calcium citrate with them either, I realize. Turmeric is high in bioavailable oxalate, cinnamon is high but not so bioavailable. Cinnamon makes my throat burn, turmeric makes my urine immediately acid. So does chocolate. I stay away from them now. I make my daughter drink milk if she’s going to eat chocolate. For insurance.

There are many people chasing down their oxalate intake to the nth degree on the yahoo boards. My approach is to cut out the a major offenders and build build build gut flora and add minerals.

Good luck to you James.

• Ralnac on February 17, 2014 at 08:24

James, the Dead Sea Salt baths absolutely helped with the bleeding hemorrhoid.

I was very dehydrated after the chard “poisoning” and it helped with the dehydration. I don’t really understand the mechanism, but it worked. Maybe the potassium?

• james london on February 17, 2014 at 13:06

Thanks ralnac, I saw the advice to take it slowly on every site I visited!

• Rebecca on April 13, 2014 at 15:22

Aren’t oxalates or at least ‘oxalic acid’ basically a mycotoxin? Then an antifungal treatment would seem to be the answer, as Dr. Joseph Brewer M.D. is finding…

19. Kim C on February 16, 2014 at 12:46

Wow … I’ve been wondering why my muscles have been sore recently without me working out much … Interesting others have experienced the same. That said, I might be doing this shit all wrong ’cause I’ve lost 6 pounds since starting RS a couple of weeks ago. If only I had an appetite, perhaps I could gain a respectable amount. 😉

• rob on February 16, 2014 at 13:48

Same here, been waking up feeling like I spent an hour pumping iron at the gym, even though I haven’t been there in weeks. Shirts feeling tighter at the shoulders and across the chest and in the sleeves. Yet my face looks ten years younger.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 15:23

Yep, Kim, everybody is different. I honestly don’t know whether the lean gains are gut tissue or muscle, or even other organs, or some combination.

What I do believe, however is that the human gut is a very complex thing and if we take measures to improve and feed it then maybe, just maybe hormonal regulation, signals, metabolic function will improve and people will either gain or lose naturally, slowly, over time.

Consider taking a wild animal and either quickly starving it or quickly super overfeeding it. Then, put it back in the wild. I’ll bet in reasonably short order it’s back to its normal self.

Your gut bacteria are wild animals, 100 trillion and 500-1000 species strong, and they are in perpetual chemical warfare with each other.

• Kim C on February 16, 2014 at 16:01

I figured I was at least 90% wild animal.

20. Ron Stone on February 16, 2014 at 13:37

massive weight gain while showing debateable leaner facial pics (as if that’s a plus)

hypertrophy without working out

That sure is some crazy snake oil salesman bs

Couldn’t even market rs long enough to make a buck

epic failure

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 15:06

Hey Ron Stone:

Can you do me a favor and give me like 2 hours of your time going out and posting everywhere you can with a link back of what an epic failure it is?

That would be cool.

• Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 15:16

Vox Day had something to say today about trolls. http://voxday.blogspot.com/2014/02/trolls-are-psychos.html

10 pounds as massive? Lolz. Since Jan 26 I’ve actually gone down a few pounds, but it was probably water or something. Lolz twice.

I really am enjoying hearing about everyone’s experiences with RS. I find it encouraging that we are all trying to improve our health gut first. It seems pretty sensible to me!~
      You are brave people, and I admire you (and your intestinal fortitude 🙂

I cannot say for sure if I experienced 2 day pain. I did have 3 or 4 days of pain, stiffness soreness, and feeling unwell right after my Bday in early January that I attributed to a flu-like thing that was going around through my social circle. It reminded me of a sort of keto flu, but in reverse since I was adding carbs, not subtracting.

• Manimal on February 17, 2014 at 01:38

Its easier to believe in some miracle guru bs stuff, metabolic mayhem unknown disease than to eat less and move your ass more. People are stupid….

• Manimal on February 17, 2014 at 01:41

Its easier to believe in some miracle guru bs stuff, metabolic mayhem unknown disease than to eat less and move your az more. Now rs is name of the game…tommorrow how knows

• Amy on February 17, 2014 at 15:56

Bad ‘crobes be munching your brain Man.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2014 at 19:49

Not a particular Vox Day fan but this is correct. I no longer allow people to take a dump in the middle of my living room.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2014 at 21:38

It’s very easy for me to know that you have not a clue about the other 90% of you, “Manimal,” the 100 trillion of 500-1000 species of microbes in your gut and that even Art Ayers just posted yesterday that he’s come to realize that RS is very unique in their feeding.

But I’m wasting my time, of course. You’re simply strutting your ignorance around, and laughably in a place where the former ignorance of everyone has been worked on to the tune of 60 posts, hundreds of study discussion in thousands of comments…

Which pretty much makes you the jester. Or, plain stupid. You know, the kind of stupidity where one’s ignorance is so profound they’re too ignorant to have a clue they’re ignorant? That kind.

So thanks for the entertainment.

21. PaleoJew on February 16, 2014 at 16:45

I hate to post again because I am probably going to get flamed and/or deleted even though my initial post was not at all insulting just questioning the general orthodoxy. I am also trying RS. I hope everything that is said about it is true. I respect all the work and effort Richard and others have put into it. I have no doubt that Michele and Charles faces are less puffy which would be evident if you met them personally. All I am saying is that it is hard if not impossible to show puffiness diminution in before and after pictures unless they are meticulously executed. This is not an attack on anyone’s honesty or sincerity.

• Charles on February 17, 2014 at 16:23

That’s cool, PJ. I’ve showed the pictures to quite a few people, most see a significant difference, a couple don’t. How we see and what we notice are very individual.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2014 at 21:07

PaleoJew

What’s so very curious to me is why you think you have to police the thing, unless you consider your judgment better than anyone. Everything I post is up for everyone to decide themselves as they wish in their exclusive judgment and I find it somewhat amusing that you feel as though you have to look out for me or Charles, or something.

I’m happy to give you info, but I seriously can’t be bothered to care about what you think. Sure, I could lie, as most do, but in the end, the truth is I write stuff for people to take or leave, it is what it is, and for as many who don’t like, there’ typically more who do and I’m cool with that.

22. Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 17:12

I shall try to put this in the easiest terms I can.

When I took the first pic, on Nov. 5th, it had nothing to do with documenting RS. I was not all “ZOMG I must show the world my starch journey!” I took the pic as I put on makeup in an attempt to disguise how swollen my face was, and was using the pic to compare appearance between self and pic. That’s it. I normally don;t wear makeup, but have a daughter that does, so I lifted a bit from her and tried it out. Didn’t help, so I washed it off.

The second pic, also known as “the glasses pic” was an attempt at a selfie to send to a friend to show how goofy I looked, all hippy-like with braids and hat. Again, having nothing to do with RS.

When I was reading the post about Charle’s pic, I realized I had a pretty good set bracketing the before and after, by accident. I first showed them to my husband, who agreed that the pics did show the difference in my face. So I sent them to Richard.
    After reading all the comments complaining about the variances in Charles’s pics, I choked down a fit of self loathing and fear and attempted to do more pics to try and even out the differences.

If I had known these were going to be weighed as evidence, instead of being viewed as a snapshot, I would have documented my n=1 experiment with forethought to please all the commenters, instead of just living my life and such. I will try harder in the future.
    Sorry about that.

I do again want to thank all the people who are being kind, regardless of whether or not they see any difference.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2014 at 21:23

Michelle

No good deed ever, ever goes unpunished if you make it public. But, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Used to have fun doing fuck offs, but I only have the energy to laf, anymore, because I realize there’s an endless supply of weird people like that and having a blog with a fairly robust comment section guarantees you will get the entitled, the police, the envious, the bitter, and the trolls…oh, and the pinnacles of objectivity. And many more. Good thing that in total, they’re less than 5%.

23. Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 17:17

What I really wish is that I had a before and after of my feet and ankles. If you saw those, you’d get it. I mean REALLY get it.

24. PaleoJew on February 16, 2014 at 17:18

After reading Michelle’s comment I think we can all agree it is time to move on. We are all just trying to better ourselves and hopefully RS will be another arrow in our quiver.Good luck to both Michelle and Richard

• gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 18:32

I think it makes more sense to tease out the reasons for change. If you think it’s time to move on, then go ahead, do it.

25. gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 17:52

Michelle, I wonder if the resistant starch is having a normalizing effect on cortisol. It’s not usually tested by M.D.s unless there appears to be a severe problem and even then it’s not recognized. But people do get those saliva tests done on their own. I don’t know how accurate they are though.

• Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 17:58

I think there is something to the cortisol connection. We’ve had some hairy-scary stuff happen to our family, stressful stuff, in the last couple of months that normally would have sent me over the edge of the abyss.
      My reactions to the stress have been well, interesting. Instead of immediately notching into flame-out psycho, I am rolling with the punches like a what I would think a regular person does.
      From my adult daughter this morning: “Mom, I sure like how you are so calm now, like when you were younger. I got really tired of all the freaking and screaming you were doing.” How embarrassing is that? But I am grateful for the change.

• gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 18:25

Yeah, Michelle, high cortisol = high blood sugar. Then it’s all gotta go somewhere. Adipocytes. Causes puffiness too. The adrenals also secrete mineralocorticoids, so fluid retention happens too. Plus adrenaline, of course. Put it all together at high levels and you get a bad soup.

I think the improvement in sleep is number one. Yes, the microbiome as well, because it reduces inflammation. Reduce inflammation through natural means and the cortisol goes down naturally.

The higher morning sugars and late hunger indicate that the cortisol is still a bit high. (And the possibility of sleep apnea.) One step at a time. When you get hungry a couple of hours after you get up, you’ll know you are where you need to be. Especially since you don’t eat late in the day. Normally when someone does not eat for so long, mornings are hungry times.

How’s your blood pressure?

26. gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 18:29

Judy, don’t know who you are, but sure know you don’t understand physiology. Go in peace. Go soon.

27. Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 18:39

The higher morning sugars are steadily improving. This morning, 124. Still not great, but it beats 180! It drops to normal after I have a cup of coffee with some cream, etc. I chart it and the progression overall is down.
    Blood pressure is 120/70 range, has been for a while. I’ve never had BP trouble. Just every darned other thing.
    I was wondering why the late hunger. Thanks for explaining that.
    I am sleeping well; some of the best sleep in years.
    It’s all a process, for sure. I think Imma gonna be a biohacking *or whatever it’s called* addict.
    Heh.

28. gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 19:11

Michelle, the fact that fluid retention is reduced means that breathing during sleep is improved. Hence the better sleep. Choking during sleep due to puffiness prevents deep sleep. Hence the exhaustion.

If you follow your blood sugars from waking to until you feel hungry, you should see that they go down.

Once your morning blood sugars are decent, you’ll find that you get hungry sooner. Possibly, and I’m not 100% sure here, but if you take some potato starch before bedtime (it’s not a large volume so it shouldn’t give you reflux) your morning sugars may be lower. (maybe you are already doing this? It’s hard to keep up with everything.)

There is a rebound hyperglycemia if during the night your blood sugar goes low. I figure, if you smooth out the glucose production from the gut bacteria, you may see a better morning glucose number.

Since the point of using psyllium is to move fermentation to the end of the colon, maybe adding a very small amount to the potato starch will increase the length of time that RS will level out blood glucose.

• Charles on February 16, 2014 at 19:23

I posted this higher up, but it applies here, as you noted the hypoglycemia during sleep:

When I used to wake up at night, at times a banana would let me get back to sleep. I believe low blood sugar kicked in the adrenaline, as I’d feel pretty wired. Now I think the SCFAs may be providing that slow drip of energy to the cells so blood sugar can drop without causing the adrenaline surge. Just a theory…

• gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 19:34

Charles, right on.

Fun stuff, eh?

• Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 19:36

Way fun! Gonna try the psyllium 🙂

• Charles on February 16, 2014 at 19:37

Gabriella, the funnest most interesting stuff I’ve seen in 50 years of being interested in this stuff. What’s the most fun is we keep coming up with these potential explanations/connections, and then you look in the literature and there it is, or at least there it could be in that there seems to be a possible pathway.

• Ralnac on February 16, 2014 at 20:03

I’m going to try this tonight before bed too, I have been using starch in the am. I blend flax seed meal with my potato starch rather than psyllium, prob amounts to about the same effect I would think. Plus my naturopath gave me a gut repair formula with slippery elm, glutamine, dgl and quercetin. I usually throw a bit of that in for good measure.

Thanks for the ideas!

Best to you Michelle, I can certainly see a difference in your face. What I noticed was your eyelids and neck in the after photo.

• Michelle on February 16, 2014 at 20:04

I hope things work for you 🙂

• gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 20:09

Charles, physiology lectures were the most boring, mind numbing ever. Famously boring actually. Terrible lecturers.

I had to relearn it in real life. Comes in handy sometimes.

• Annika on February 16, 2014 at 20:13

Love this explanation! Something went “click” in my head when I read this. If I ever dare to try PS again, I will take it with psyllium near bedtime in hopes of lowering my morning blood sugars and eliminating my too-early morning waking.

• Ralnac on February 17, 2014 at 06:41

Slept straight from about 10:15 to 6:10 am, so I call that a successful outcome!

I feel warm all over like a hot flash but milder. Sometimes I wake up abruptly around 4:00 am and sweating. I am 48 after all. But getting sleep is crucial.

Since childhood I have had hypoglycemic episodes. Not so much lately since I eat more fat. But my girls do, so it’s good to know about the starch.

I am going to dig out my blood glucose meter, never tried it out but bought it a year ago.

• Harriet on February 17, 2014 at 15:54

Gabriella, How much is a very small amount of psyllium? I have been adding a teaspoon to my starch morning and just before bed. Now I don’t know if that is co-incidental or not but I’ve just had a bad clearing out of the gut (Bristol 6, then 5) over 48 hours, two days after starting it, together with weight increase (food as per normal, no change there, no likely source of food poisoning). My gut is settling down again now. Perhaps adding the psyllium changed something? I’m tired, though with some brain fog.

29. Charles on February 16, 2014 at 19:19

Judy, anger issues are treatable.

30. gabriella kadar on February 16, 2014 at 19:33

Yeah. Potato starch. LOL!

31. Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2014 at 22:30

I deleted Judy’s comment about “lobotomized readers,” which unfortunately deleted also the adequate replies. The one thing I have not an ounce of patience for is any comment that insults the readers and commenters here.

Of course, it’s ridiculous (there are many thousands and only a tiny percent ever comment) so in a way, it serves to leave it up, but I just hate to see generalities in that regard. Insult a single commenter, fine, they can defend themselves.

32. Jojo on February 17, 2014 at 04:49

Feb 17 Grated Cassava N=1 experiment

<5:00A 95 FBG
    5:00A 4 T of grated cassava (an exported product from Philippines. Sold at Garden Fresh Market and Asian stores. Ingredients: cassava, water)
    5:40A 103
    6:31A 90

Is this a good sign that this product has RS?

• Jojo on February 17, 2014 at 05:53

I did more test:

7:17A 99
      7:47A 87

I’m about to eat breakfast now with rice, salmon, and green veges. Hoping my BG will not go high too much.

33. Mike on February 17, 2014 at 22:30

Improved sleep and increased lean mass are also seen with raw honey or trehalose before bed so there’s some precedent. Hard to see why you wouldn’t ditch them for RS though considering cost and other (long term) benefits.

• Ralnac on February 18, 2014 at 11:52

I read the Seth Roberts thread. Fascinating about the honey also alleviating muscle soreness.

34. Julie on February 17, 2014 at 08:38

My RS bio hack was a fail but I have a unique situation. I had 19 inches of my colon removed about a year and a half ago…preceded and followed by multiple rounds of antibiotics. I have been trying to repopulate my gut with probiotics but every time I get to feeling a bit normal I have to go in for another colonoscopy which wipes it out again. Hopefully, I will only be going in every five years or so from now on. In the meantime, I developed Type Two diabetes and Hashimotos Thyroiditis…this convinced me that these diseases are tied to gut health in a big way. I tried PS and had an unusual reaction (I’ve only seen it mentioned by a couple of people…one person on this website) I began clenching my jaw which caused headaches and jaw pain. I also had severe acid reflux. My theory is that I need more good bacteria to feed and may have been inadvertently feeding some bad guys which my body did not like! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I intend to work on more gut healing and repopulating and just might try the high maize to see if I was reacting to the potato. PS is cheaper but I will go with what works!

• Julie on February 17, 2014 at 10:07

In addition, I became VLC for a long time due to what Michelle described in her blog about “just looking at a carb made my blood sugar spike”. I developed a true fear of carbs because of that and the fact that my relatives with diabetes suffered with alzhimers, kidney failure, amputations and death from strokes and heart attacks. This site, and Richard’s blogging, convinced me that I could TRY starches. Much to my surprise, I found that my BG actually went DOWN when I added a bit of rice or beans. This makes me wonder whether I might be Ok with a different type of concentrated RS. Has anyone here tried the High Maize?

• Harriet on February 17, 2014 at 16:01

Julie, I don’t clench my teeth, but the muscles in my head tighten a lot. If I don’t go through a routine to relax I end up with a headache. If I lie still on my back in bed and just be aware of the tension then my face starts to twitch. Sometimes the twitching moves right through my body. I let the twitching and shaking go till it wants to stop. The first time it was really weird. The second time it was prolonged. Now its just short and I can relax quite quickly. I also have auto-immune diseases and while I got a flare each time I increased the amount I took up to 4 tbs it has largely settled down. It also is now no worse when I eat potatoes and tomatoes – which I’ve avoided for a number of years now.

• marie on February 17, 2014 at 16:04

Julie, your particular situation prompts me to comment. Last year I had some close experience, though 2nd-hand, with your special circumstances.
      The source of your RS won’t make much difference, I don’t think.
      When that much colon is removed, the dosing for Potato Starch has to be done carefully. With the antibiotics, you also need to repopulate with good bacteria – as that starts to build-up, you increase the dose of the PS.

The good news is that then there’s a decent chance to see a healthy gut lining at your next colonoscopy, even old polyps were stunted in the case I know and there were no new ones. Notably, the patient was on a deeply ketogenic diet at the time (a ‘proper’ one, that is, with plenty of leafy and cruciferous veggies).

First the easy stuff, Dosing : 1 Teaspoon (not tablespoon, which is the usual measure) straight-up in water, starting in the morning. Try not to have breakfast until an hour later, but if you do, make sure any carb is natural complex carb like veggies or beans (not processed junk that’s ‘low net carb’ with a ton of sugar substitutes, and not wheat).
      You probably have a BM 2-3 times a day. If early morning is one of them, it’s a good idea to take that teaspoon afterwards.
      Give that 3-4 days, then add a teaspoon at midafternoon. Give that a week and add final dose an hour or so before bed. Maintain for a couple of months. Then can scale back to one heaped teaspoon either morning or night. By then the gut biome should be well repopulated, but there’s just not much of it to feed.

In the meantime, Bacteria : Not just yogurt or other dairy – they’re very good but entirely inadequate when trying to repopulate a decimated biome. You can get good bugs from fermented foods and even from ‘dirty’ (just rinsed for major soil, not soaped or scrubbed) organic vegetables. I suggest organic for the rinsed veg just so that you’re not consuming masses of pesticides and wax when you don’t scrub them. Grace (Dr.BG) on her blog ‘drBGAnimalPharm’ has all the bacteria information you could possibly want, and then some.

Added help : from another prebiotic, inulin (good sources are onions, leeks, jerusalem artichokes, dandelion greens). If you like Mediterranean food, these come naturally.

I strongly believe potato starch has a good chance of helping your particular gut situation, as I’ve seen it promote healing of the gut lining and mucosa (and fairly quickly) in a two-times operated, chemo-tortured colon.

Best of luck and let me know if you try this?!

• gabriella kadar on February 17, 2014 at 16:11

Marie, I don’t know anything really, but resistant starch makes colons grow longer. Too bad no body measures them routinely. But wouldn’t it be really cool if someone who had part of their colon removed, managed to grow back a few inches just by keeping it super healthy with RS?

I’m not sure if I was delirious at the time, but I think I read someplace that women’s colons are longer than men’s. Maybe because they eat more vegetables? I may be entirely off my head here.

Time for the stir fried Chinese eggplant. Yum.

• marie on February 17, 2014 at 16:26

gabriella, you know much(!). You’re maybe thinking of this : http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/1/134.long
      It’s possible for ‘growing’ animals, i don’t know whether it is possible after the growing phase. However, a resected colon is healing so there will be some growth activation so….maybe, a bit? It would be a really cool measurement alright…

• Julie on February 17, 2014 at 17:38

Thank you, Marie! I will let you know. I really need for this to work!

• Julie on February 23, 2014 at 11:56

Ok…started back on PS/RS using your instructions. I got through the first 5 days with one tsp in the morning with NO teeth/jaw clenching!! Yesterday, I added the tsp at noon. I am assuming that my little bugs are feasting because of the “windage” . I have also been taking my probiotic in the morning with the RS. I’ve noticed that my BG is holding steady below 120 which is good for me and that is while upping my carb intake, too. And my fasting glucose is a bit better on average. Just in 5 days! I am excited! I’m thinking that, with my shorter colon, I needed to go slow and not take so much. 4TB is NOT for everyone! I will keep you posted.

• marie on February 23, 2014 at 12:09

That’s great Julie, I’m happy for you! Yes, the shortness was the key to the tsp dosing suggestions.

• Julie on May 30, 2014 at 09:07

Marie, I can’t thank you enough for your ideas and encouragement. I did what you said and REALLY went slow. I became discouraged at about the 2 month mark in April because my blood sugars were going up a bit and my A1c went from 5.9 to 6.2 but I persevered. At that time, I was up to about 4 teaspoons. I started taking a SBO Probiotic (Primal Defense) plus mixing my PS/High Maize mixture in my home made sauerkraut. (I had previously been taking a non soil-based probiotic) I upped the dosage slowly to a current 3 TB. Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago, my blood sugars dropped into the normal range. Even my fasting (which is usually pretty high at 120-130) was better, dropping into the low 100 to high 90s. My average daily before meals is in the 80s and after meals is in the 90s and 100s, dropping back to baseline within 2 hours. I can not say how grateful I am to all of you for this. I still take Metformin but plan to wean off of that soon. I just may be able to say that I am no longer a diabetic! BTW…I now include starches and some sugars in my diet with no spikes! I do include a couple of other supplements in my regime. Alpha-lipoic acid, amla, Vit D, Vit K2, Magnesium. Vit B12. Selenium, and Iodine.

• marie on May 30, 2014 at 20:04

Julie, that’s the best news I’ve heard all month, maybe all year!! What a terrific BG control response.
      “I just may be able to say that I am no longer a diabetic! BTW…I now include starches and some sugars in my diet with no spikes! “

You were working against some very bad odds:
      a diabetic on metformin, with a shortened colon and decimated biome. WOW.
      If someone were writing a textbook, this would be the ‘textbook case’ ! 🙂

I really admire your perseverence and I’m so very happy for you.
      Yup, 4TBSP is definitely not for everyone, let alone someone with much less biome to work with.

Let us know what happens when you are weaned off Metformin?
      I note that Metformin has effects on gut flora too: some of its BG control action may be through its effect on certain gut bugs (Akkermansia muciniphila) but on the other hand it also has a broad antimicrobial action….all of which is why it often produces cramping and diarhea side-effects when first introduced.
      So, whether adding or removing anything that affects that short colon, small steps is probably a good idea I would think…;)

• Julie on May 30, 2014 at 23:05

Marie, you understated my challenges. Not only am I a diabetic on Metformin with a shortened colon and decimated biome but I also have Hashimotos. I have great hopes for my autoimmune disease going into remission with this protocol, too. I have researched and researched to find the answer to my health issues. Could it really be this simple? I hope the answer is yes. In the meantime, I celebrate the current success on my blood sugar and will continue to tweek. My health is in MY hands.

35. giskard on February 17, 2014 at 12:57

No pics from me but I did start noticing my 6-pack starting to appear in January, a month after starting the PS. I just got back from a 3 week vacation, during which I got no exercise (scuba diving doesn’t count!), and did not shy away from huge holiday meals with my friends. But I took a bag of PS with me, despite being a bit concerned about the TSA (Touches Sensitive Areas) seeing white powder. I expected to gain weight, but funny thing is, my 6-pack grew more defined over said holiday; wife concurs. I have yet to return to the gym and weigh myself…

• The Natural on February 17, 2014 at 16:56

giskard,
      So no gym for 3 weeks and you lost more body fat….but did you have a lot of other activities like hiking or such fun stuff during your 3 week vacation though?

T-Nat

36. giskard on February 17, 2014 at 14:27

P.S. Interesting comments on the muscle soreness without exercise, though I wouldn’t have expected soreness to appear due to muscular hypertrophy without exercise.

37. Robo on February 21, 2014 at 09:15

Greetings from Australia – I have followed the RS story for years – it’s totally solid and awesome stuff. I’ve been eating a cereal we get here, called [CSIRO] “Barleymax”, it’s a product resulting from serious science and well researched – Google “Goodness Super Foods” sometime and you’ll see what I mean.

RS has wound my internal clock back years and I mean years – I lost some weight, my bloods are in the boringly normal range [and I do not eat like a cross-legged monk on a hill-top], I’m “regular” as I was 25yrs ago – I just feel way better for it!

Now, interestingly check out the current news link below – very interesting – sounds to me a lot like the thinking behind RS – I might be wrong, but it sounds like it to me – a layman – on these things.

Anyway, I’m enjoying this blog and wish everyone well!

38. Jonathan McRae on March 28, 2014 at 11:29

I wanted to add that I myself have noticed, actually my wife has notices a thinning around my face and neck, even thought the scale has not moved.