Alec Baldwin to the World: ‘Fuck You I Quit’

Well, this was one helluva read first thing this morning and I loved just about every bit of it: Good-bye, Public Life, penned by Alec himself and aptly published on a site named “Vulture.”

a 560x0
The Look

Think what you will about Alec, and I know he’s such a lefty commie ideologicaly, but I always can’t help but like the guy in so many ways. He’s no dummy, he speaks his mind, and he doesn’t suffer fools. And he acts with a rare honesty and integrity in every role he takes on. I often joke that even as much as he loathes GWB, he could play him in a movie and completely convince you of GWB’s sincerity, better than GWB could do playing himself.

And Alec is fucking funny. I never watched any 30 Rock, but I just may have to fire up the Netflix and check it out. Ha, doing that with Parks and Recreation now. What a juxtaposition: Alec Baldwin and Ron Swanson.

I flew to Hawaii recently to shoot a film, fresh on the heels of being labeled a homophobic bigot by Andrew Sullivan, Anderson Cooper, and others in the Gay Department of Justice. I wanted to speak with a gay-rights group that I had researched and admired, so I called its local Honolulu branch.

The office number turned out to be some guy’s cell phone. I left him a message—I said, “I’m from out of town, I’m visiting Hawaii on business, I’d like to get some information on your group.” After two or three more calls, he answered the phone. I said, “Yeah, I’m the guy that called about your organization.” And he said, somewhat impatiently, “Okay, well, what did you want?” I said, “Well, let me put it to you this way, Nick. Your name is Nick? Nick, let me begin by asking you a question. Who would you say, by your estimation, is the most homophobic member of the entertainment industry currently in the media?” And he paused for a long count of four and said, “Um … Alec Baldwin?”

And I said, “Ding, ding, ding, ding! Bingo, Nick, bingo! That’s who you’re talking to.”

He said, “C’mon!”

I said, “Nick, I want to come in and talk.”

I met with Nick and others from two LGBT organizations. We talked for a while about the torment of the LGBT life many of them have lived while growing up in traditional Hawaiian families. Macho fathers. Religious mothers. We talked a lot about words and their power, especially in the lives of young people.

One young man, an F-to-M tranny, said, “Are you here to get dry-cleaned, like Brett Ratner?” Meaning I could do some mea culpa, write them a six-figure check, go to a dinner, sob at the table, give a heartfelt speech, beg for forgiveness. I thought to myself: Beg for forgiveness for something I didn’t do?

I said, “No. I don’t want to get dry-cleaned. I don’t want to be decontaminated by you, Karen Silkwood–wise, scrubbed down. I want to learn about what is hurtful speech in your community. I want to participate in some programs about that. Or underwrite one. And then, like you, I just want to be left alone.”

“Gay Department of Justice.” Still can’t stop lafing. The whole thing is as fucking funny as it is fucking sad, and you get to decide which is which. So read the whole thing and thank yourself.

Then go take in Alec & Jerry Seinfeld in this episode of Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee: ALEC BALDWIN - ”Just a Lazy Shiftless Bastard”. That’s what Alec calls Jerry, incidentally.

1. Mike on February 24, 2014 at 14:38
    • Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2014 at 16:11

One of my favorites, Mike. Almost added it to the post, along with his deposition bit in Absence of Malice.

2. Charlie on February 24, 2014 at 11:08

“…and he doesn’t suffer fools.” When it comes to Obama he’s just another Walter Duranty…

• Charlie on February 24, 2014 at 11:12

Other than that and his BDS, he’s one hell of an actor and very funny. And, as long as he is not talking politics, he’s a good listen and a good read.

The article was great, and I too agree with most of what he had to say.

• Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2014 at 13:14

“Walter Duranty”

Easy to type out. But Baldwin has always been very open to taking on anyone at any time publicly, over his ideas. Ever see him on Bill Maher’s Politically Incorrect way back when? Try that with any cloistered, Pulitzer Prize winning fraud like Duranty.

Dismissed. You can’t separate ideology from argument.

• Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2014 at 13:25

Fuck Israel, and I mean hard.

I have zero against the Jews per se, but this “chosen people” shtick Mercun’s believe in because they’re a bunch of religious fucktards who believe in the book of evil has just become beyond the pale of laughable in 20014. The whole fucking world has to walk on eggshells because of this fanatical group of fucktard religious morons who insist on having an entire culture and political and public policy built around a bunch of fairy tales written down by a bunch of illiterate sheep fuckers.

Cheeses, the world is fucking mad.

In a rational world, everybody else would withdraw every fucking penny of financial and military support, and let them just see how much their fantasy Dog cares about them as his extra special chosen people.

And just in case anyone thinks I’m anti-Semitic, fuck Jesus too. Perhaps the best thing the Jews ever did was get rid of that mental case. 🙂

• Heinz Richter on February 24, 2014 at 19:47

The Romans were the got ridders of Jesus. Not anti-Semitic at all since Alec Baldwin is a New Yorker and Israel is the first thing that comes to mind when fucking hard.

• Diane on February 25, 2014 at 07:13

A semi-sane Jew here! Please hate us also for feeling so great about genitally mutilating our sons. I am so embarrassed by my peeps for this horrendous act and the continued vigor they have for this ritual – even secular Jews. They put circumcision behind this great magical curtain called “tradition” but don’t realize that Judaism has previously stopped doing idiotic things – like stoning people to death for infidelity. Yet they are too blinded to even do basic research – that by cutting the foreskin you remove up to 20,000 sexual nerve endings that are a type NOT found on the penis. Oh there is so much more but I had to add my two shekels. Potato Starch on!

• Richard Nikoley on February 25, 2014 at 09:07

Diana:

Thanks luv. Always love it when someone sees beyond my vitriolic presentation.

Yep, count me amongst the victims of Jewish tradition, even though my dad was born in Germany and neither he nor any or his brothers underwent the knife.

Insanity.

• Rhonda on February 26, 2014 at 03:09

You were born in the US, yes? You were born in a hospital, yes? Unfortunately, very few male babies born in a US hospital escaped from have their cocks cut. It’s a most cruel act, although, it’s happening less and less these days, probably because today’s parents are a little more thinking, and skeptical of a doctor’s opinion, than they were in the past.

• Jake Braekes on March 2, 2014 at 07:19

Uh… wasn’t said Jesus a carpenter in the land? Of Jewish extraction? Take a deep breath before finishing any online rant with a great and sweeping conclusion, advice my great great grandfather gave me with his hand on the telegraph key.

• Woodchuck Pirate on March 2, 2014 at 08:28

Jake Braekes,

Why blame your great great grandfather? The ass has never fallen far from the ass tree.

Judge and prepare to be judged.

Woodchuck Pirate
      aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

• Jake Braekes on March 3, 2014 at 06:03

Woodchuck, WTF are you talking about?

I guess you better be prepared, as you just judged. What, I don’t know, but maybe life is different in the darkness of the hole.

3. GeoffD on February 24, 2014 at 12:53

You will love him in 30 rock. His character is as right wing republican as you can imagine. He is the foil for everyone else on the show who is lefty. Watch it immediately you are in for a treat. Best written character in recent memory…

• Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2014 at 13:32

Wow, I had no idea. I’ll have to check that out. Does he play it as honestly as possible for a comedy, or is he doing parody, or something in the middle?

• GeoffD on February 25, 2014 at 06:24

Somewhere in the middle. Sometimes it’s to make fun of the right, sometimes to make fun of the left.

• Q on February 26, 2014 at 18:12

I have to second, he was my favorite thing about 30 Rock. Hilarious lines that border satire, but he still comes off as the smartest, most successful character on the show. You ROOT for him. Great writing for his character. Great show for a good many years, then like most it falls off.

• Woodchuck Pirate on February 26, 2014 at 19:47

Q,

Where would you rank the character “Kenneth Parcell” ? By woodchuck standards Kenneth brings the strange into light. His stories of hill people and feasts of squirrel tail aren’t pure exaggeration. His anecdotes often carry an eery credibility that makes his page jacket fetish a pure mockery of civilization.

Woodchuck Pirate
      aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

• Q on February 26, 2014 at 23:14

Kenneth was a great character, but like most shows with a “backwoods eccentric” character they at some point take it too far. He was superb in 3-4 seasons. But just like with “Kramer” at some point they push it too far into caricature because they have no where else to go. That’s why I like a lot of the British sitcoms that only last 3 seasons. By the time Kenneth was rescuing Tracey and hinting at immortality, um, ugh, no.

• AndrewS on February 27, 2014 at 11:16

I’ve read that Fey got tired of being jerked around by the same ignorant, caricature-over-character, “leftist” MSM that Baldwin complains about in the linked article. I think in Fey’s case it was because she wasn’t sufficiently feminist, and her disillusionment resulted in the show becoming less evangelical. I haven’t seen the show but it’s somewhere in my queue.

[apologies for the double-post; I blame Canada]

4. Brock in HK on February 24, 2014 at 17:01

Alec Baldwin to the world: “Lookit MEEEEEE!! I want some attention, then I’m going to take a vacation and come back and make some more money later, just like Barbara Streissand did.”

Obnoxious Blowhard in the media, perfect in 30 Rock, Glengarry Glen Ross, etc. Take the good with the bad…

• Robert Cooney on February 24, 2014 at 20:57

Agreed. 100% blowhard. Will this be like the “quitting” he did a few years ago after the VM of him yelling at his daughter was released? At that time, he was going to retire to work for the rights of non-custodial fathers everywhere. Such a total jackbag . . .

• Robert Cooney on February 24, 2014 at 20:59

And, yes, Richard, he is the “lefty commie” who has made a small fortune doing ads for credit card companies. TOTAL jackbag . . .

• Richard Nikoley on February 24, 2014 at 21:51

“who has made a small fortune doing ads for credit card companies.”

Ah, Robert, I so love it when someone doesn’t read the source material but posts anyway, exposing their ignorance.

But, I’ll just let you remain ignorant unless you wish to cure it on your own.

5. Woodchuck Pirate on February 24, 2014 at 21:40

The characters in 30 Rock layer so well as to spin a never ending web to the surreal. As important as Alec Baldwin is to the show, he doesn’t carry the cast with talent or written importance. It’s just a damn good show. I admire 30 Rock for how successfully they present caricature without venom. It’s impossible to harbor a defense against 30 Rock caricature, as it doesn’t speak to skin in the real world. There certainly is no political accomplishment achieved by 30 Rock. And of course there is no such thing as “political accomplishment” in the real world. It fits.

Woodchuck Pirate
    aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

6. J Lee on February 25, 2014 at 00:02

I love him in 30 Rock! I hope he reunites with Tina Fey. They are brilliant together on-screen! 🙂