Green Bananas as a High Source of Resistant Starch

In all the talk of potato starch as the most concentrated form of resistant starch known to man (80% RS by weight, 20% moisture, easy to dose—even in plain water), I’ve not written much about two other very respectable sources of RS, both in whole foods: green plantains and green bananas. They’re about 50% RS by weight in their unripened state, but have the added advantage of including other types of beneficial fibers, as well as a decent nutritional profile. It’s whole food, as old as the hills.

Green plantains are tough to deal with and about the best to be done is peel, slice and dry them (I haven’t tried them in a smoothie, though). You can also use various dry spice & herb. I’ve done them with salt (somewhat like a saltine cracker, good dipping substrate). I also did them with cinnamon & sugar. Not bad.

Enter the banana. Literally, the food Dog created with the human hand and mouth in mind. One marvels at the profound wisdom of Dog when considering that man’s crowning achievement at a delivery device is a metallic cylinder with an environmentally polluting aluminum pop top. Behold, the atheist’s nightmare.

I suppose I was destined to be curmudgeon on the whole Dog thing, because I’ve just never been much of a banana fan. Don’t care for the texture, the flavor is “just ‘ok’ for me,” and it’s kinda too sweet. At most, I tolerate a few slices in a mixed fruit salad. When I have eaten a whole banana, it’s got to be absolutely firm. They even smell off to me when even slightly beyond that state.

Enter the green banana. Now, I’ve purchased green bananas before, but conventional wisdom says you leave them out and in a couple of days, they ripen. Incidentally, what is resistant starch prior is entirely consumed, converted to sugars as they ripen. I suppose RS is ripening fuel, or something. Recently, I found that I really like just eating a green banana whole. You have to peel it differently, Dog’s ingenuity notwithstanding. Cut off both ends, slice lengthwise through the peel, disrobe. …No, the banana, silly!

They’re also just really great for smoothies and here’s a hint: they’ll stay green far longer if you keep them in the fridge. I suppose you could peel, slice & freeze as well and use as needed in smoothies. Here’s a typical recipe for me:

• 1 whole raw egg
  • 1 whole green banana
  • 2 TBS potato starch (optional)
  • 2-4 oz any fruit juice or “Odwalla” style bottled smoothie (mixed berries is my fav)
  • 2-4 oz plain kefir
  • Whole raw milk to achieve volume and consistency (optionally: water, coconut milk, coconut water, etc)

You all know how to make smoothies, this is just one of my many ways. The point is: the green banana. A whole average size green banana is pretty much going to be 10-30g of resistant starch, depending upon size and degree of ripeness.

OK, there’s the whole-fruit aspect of the thing. There’s going to be variation because of the degree of ripeness, and ripening is a continuous process, losing some of the RS every day that’s fueling the ripening. So, one option is flours made from dried green plantains or green bananas that preserve the RS at its hight. In blog comments, a lot of us have integrated Plantain Flour, but it doesn’t seem to mix all that well in just a stirred beverage, and the taste is nothing to write home about. How about banana flour? Would be nice to compare, right? Maybe you’re like me, trying to get my gut-bug-feeding resistant starch from a number of sources, not just Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch. Potato starch is kinda my foundation. 2-4 TBS most days ensures I’m getting it, and the rest is made up by other things like cooked and cooled potatoes, cooked and cooled parboiled rice, and cooked and cooled legumes.

Unfortunately, there is no green banana flour on the market, at least here in America. But what if you could help bring it? Here’s a well done, funny video that explains the deal, tells how you can help; and above all, gives you an opportunity to get some of this to try yourselves before it hits the market.

Yep, I’ve been sent a container and I just donated $25 to the Kickstarter, so I’ll be getting another one while helping bring the product to market here in America. I really like it. Way more flavor than the plantain flour, and pleasant. I love a couple of tablespoons in milk, let it settle. Stir a bit, then fish out the doughy clumps with a spoon, and they are a “just right” banana flavor for me. Bananas & milk, lots of resistant starch.

Just like the smoothies, a million options. This is a product we need, so check out the Kickstarter and get on board quick, so as to grab one of the available spots that come with product as a reward. And soon enough, every time you see this, you’ll know you played a part.

1eba8f7291b93d003bf42e9c22ba54d9 large
I Built That!

Times, options, motivations—what’s really important—vs. distractions and wastes of time…are changing. Or, watch a lot of cable-channel news to keep you agitated about things your can’t control, influence, or participate in—and which gives you nothing in return, only takes away your resources and a piece of you. Your choice.

This sort of thing is the future, and when we as a society finally come to realize that humans are social animals who jump to help and take part in things that interest and excite them vs. top-down kingly and presidential admonition from edifice, high benches that look down on you, and pressed robes…then we’ll have improved as human beings.

Your choice.

1. kxmoore on February 6, 2014 at 13:17

slightly OT. pretty cool graphics on the microbiome from this old wired article.

2. Steve on February 6, 2014 at 12:49

What about cassava starch? Bob’s Red Mill sells something they call tapioca flour, but on the bag it says aka tapioca starch. Do you know if this is high in RS like potato starch, or if it’s more like potato flour, without the RS?

• Richard Nikoley on February 6, 2014 at 13:26

Steve

Been dealt with a million times in comments on 50 posts. This is about banana, so please go do your own digging.

• Thomas on February 6, 2014 at 15:11

• Lemm on February 7, 2014 at 16:17

Ya Steeeeeve, do your own searching 😛

FYI: Richard can be a dick — lesson finished.

• Lemm on February 7, 2014 at 16:34

Hey, you took the f-bomb out of your response; you’re a nice guy after all.

3. kxmoore on February 6, 2014 at 13:07

i like to make plantain wraps. puree a green plantain with some salt and olive oil and spread out on parchment on a baking sheet . bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. i treat the wrap just like a regular tortilla. you can freeze them too. don’t know what the process does to the RS content.

• Richard Nikoley on February 6, 2014 at 13:30

350 at 15 kills all the RS, so inapplicable to everything I just posted about.

• Dan on February 10, 2014 at 08:51

Hi Richard,
      When you mention eating cooked and cooled parboiled rice, legumes etc am I correct that if you reheat the RS converts to regular starch? I’m really enjoying these RS posts and am in kind of a learning mode. I’ve read lots but not all the RS posts. For example does the fried rice recipe you do loose the benefit.
      Thanks!

• Richard Nikoley on February 10, 2014 at 10:25

Dan, no, RS3, retrograde, is resistant to destruction by reheating.

• Danilo A Ferreira on February 17, 2014 at 14:35

Hi Richard, is there a maximum temperature you can expose green banana flour to in order not to lose all its RS content? I usually bake cookies at 266F (130C) and I was wondering it I’m ruining all the RS in it…
      Cheers

• Richard Nikoley on February 18, 2014 at 13:36

All resistant starch pops at 140f, no matter the medium. In something like a cookie, the entire thing is going to be over 140f. No reason not to use the BF, but not for RS.

• Perry Hill on June 22, 2014 at 15:36

Hello Richard,
      I fry plantains in coconut oil mixed with bacon fat at high temperature and am aware that this destroys the RS, but if they cool for 24hrs will it come back like in potatoes? Sorry if this is a stupid question just trying to understand the cooling aspect. Also can you cool for a shorter period is it temperature or time dependent?

• Richard Nikoley on June 22, 2014 at 20:19

Far as I know it should, but you need to get it at about 40 or less for 24 hours. It is time dependent.

4. newbie on February 6, 2014 at 13:57

kxmoore says he freezes the totrilla, so wouldn’t that reform the RS, same as the cooked potato idea/freeze idea?

5. Bernhard on February 6, 2014 at 14:02

O.T. Yet know thy food:
    The Unfortunate Sex Life of the Banana

6. Jason H on February 6, 2014 at 14:56

God didn’t give apes the knowledge on how to properly open a banana or maybe he just gave us the wrong info. Either way that video is hilarious.

This is how you’re supposed to do it.

Not only is it easier but you get to tell everyone else that they’re dumb when they see you do it.

7. Nick Lo on February 6, 2014 at 18:06

This was originally posted by someone in a comment elsewhere here on FTA but worth repeating:

A source for Australian readers (Aus only orders “at the moment” but overseas orders can contact them): http://www.bananaflour.com.au/

• Ozquoll on February 7, 2014 at 02:58

I ordered some banana flour from them for a change from potato starch. I make ‘banana balls’ to the following very approximate recipe:
      60gms Banana flour
      50gm ricotta
      50gm dried dates
      Cover the dates with enough boiling water to soften them. When the dates cool, blend all ingredients into a smooth paste, shape them into walnut-sized balls and roll them in some shredded coconut. Vary the quantities to taste – if you’re trying to get kids to eat them you might need to use more dates.

I suppose you could eat your banana balls with your tiger nuts, if you really want 😉

• Ozquoll on February 7, 2014 at 03:02

Forgot to add, for my fellow Aussies – cheapest source I’ve been able to find for Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch is vitacost.com . Postage is cheap as long as you only order two packets at a time.

• Mike on February 8, 2014 at 20:41

iherb is waaaay cheaper than vitacost once you take shipping into account

• Ozquoll on February 9, 2014 at 00:36

Thanks Mike, the iHerb shipping is amazingly cheap – I will definitely try ordering through them next time!
      I wonder why no one in Australia stocks BRM PS – surely some gluten- free retailer must have noticed the interest in it?

• lachlan on February 12, 2014 at 02:49

Had a look at that banana flour, it appears to only be 35% resistant starch with the remaining amount being a normal starch, unlike Bob’s Red Mill potato starch. However a good compromise if you’re in Australia.

• Nick Lo on February 12, 2014 at 03:07

If any of you in Australia are anywhere near an Asian supermarket you’ll find they are very likely to have potato starch. We’ve bags of the stuff by Tung Chun Canning Co., that set us back about $AUD3 a 500g bag.

• Pat on June 11, 2014 at 04:15

I just bought a bag of this. Is it raw and unmodified though? Not sure if it’s starch or flour

8. jason on February 6, 2014 at 18:36

I think they have a great idea and I hope them all the success in their kick-starter campaign. The commercial was great too, so great in fact that they show how simple it really is to make. I already have a dehydrator, green bananas are pretty easy to find at the store and I bet if you asked at the store you could get a bunch of green ones from their storage if none are on display. All I need is a coffee grinder, which on amazon range from $10 – $200+. I see this project in my near future. Anyone already doing this?

• Matheus on February 7, 2014 at 00:22

what do you need the coffee grinder for? milling the bananas?
      if yes, I think a grain mill designed to mill flour might be a better alternative – and they are not as expensive as high range coffee grinders:

• jason on February 6, 2014 at 18:40

double checked amazon, oops, coffee grinders can get super pricey @ $1000+, but I’m sure I don’t need that 😉

• DreamyBabe on September 12, 2014 at 15:10

Yes. I’m doing this now. I’m using a BlendTec to make it into flour. It seems to be working very nicely.

• Jeff2 on June 3, 2018 at 13:15

I’ve started doing this when I go to a grocery store and all they have on display are the yellow bananas, I ask them if they have any really green ones in the back, and they bring out some for me, and then I buy them all, use what I can right away, dehydrate the rest on the lowest heat setting, or just peel slice and freeze the rest to be used in smoothies later. I’ve gotten to where I love the taste of really green bananas. They will store longer in the refrigerator, but you still need to use them up rather quickly to get the most RS out of them.

9. bornagain on February 7, 2014 at 02:25

*Dog? You mean God, right?

• Richard Nikoley on February 7, 2014 at 08:07

Meaningless distinction.

• bornagain on February 7, 2014 at 12:01

You are always such a funny man. I’ll ask Baby Jesus to save you.

• Bill Strahan on February 7, 2014 at 12:10

Fool!

This is no job for baby Jesus, this will require adult Jesus, I’m sure of it!

• Richard Nikoley on February 7, 2014 at 12:14

Jesus loves me! This I know,
      For the Bible tells me so;
      Little ones to Him belong;
      They are weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me!
      Yes, Jesus loves me!
      Yes, Jesus loves me!
      The Bible tells me so.

• Bill Strahan on February 7, 2014 at 12:54

Okay, don’t know if you’ll find this buried in the comments, but I’m gonna throw it in here and see…

I have an agnostic (or atheist depending on his attitude at the time) friend who has regularly started saying grace. It made me think of you, because he’s an inquisitive, reasoning person. He identified that the act of giving gratitude is in itself valuable.

Obviously, his “grace” or “thanks” isn’t directed at Jesus, or even God, more just a statement. The reason it’s over food is
      1) It’s a way of having a defined time of doing so.
      2) Choosing gratitude for something we take for granted is particularly powerful.
      and
      3) Food is often shared with others, so an ideal to express shared gratitude and the gratitude for others.

It’s pretty near impossible to be grateful and _____ (insert depressed, angry, frustrated, annoyed, whatever negative emotion here) at the same time, so having a specific plan for expressing gratitude has resulted in having a more optimistic outlook on life.

So, thoughts? Yes, I know you don’t believe in God…I think you’ve mentioned it once or thrice. But being grateful that the universe is abundant and grateful for all the people that contribute to your life is not religion, it is simple modulating your emotional frame with a specific intention.

Say grace at mealtimes for a few days and see…it’s right up your in=won experimentation. 😉

(No, not a surreptitious attempt to foist religion back onto you.)

• Richard Nikoley on February 7, 2014 at 13:54

No, I think that’s fine, can be appropriate, but I also think that in addition to being thankful for “nature’s bounty,” the actual folks all along the chain of delivery and those who prepared it deserve recognition too.

It can be kind of like a “moment of silence” or something.

I dislike showoffs, though, like those who insist on praying in a restaurant, especially if I’m at the table. That just gets a blank stare. In a private setting, I have no prob being respectful of others praying. I don’t really bow head or do any other gestures, but otherwise maintain an aura of resect. Not in public though.

• bornagain on February 7, 2014 at 20:44

I like to think that I judge others by how their actions affect me – not their beliefs. I find there is little to fear in others because of this. The only people I really fear are murders, rapists and government officials.

• rs711 on February 8, 2014 at 00:41

Gratitude – great! Couldn’t agree more. What does superstition &/or invoking the supernatural have to do with it (or anything else for that matter)?

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2014 at 01:07

Bornagain, people pray in restaurants, publicly in a shameless effort to shame you.

So, from now on, I’m lifting a middle finger as they pray, as an equal public display.

Thanks, man. Actions.

• Bill Strahan on February 8, 2014 at 07:22

I pray in public restaurants.

I also kiss my wife in public.

Both are actions I take because it is meaningful to me, not because I want to display anything to anyone around me.

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2014 at 13:38

Suppose you were in a restaurant with 3 or more other people and when the food came, would you ask to say a prayer first? Would you do it yourself while they chewed down?

Now, if one of the other people was your wife, would you be kissy face in front of the other two?

These are the distinctions I’m making and I’ve experienced both rude situations.

• Bill Strahan on February 8, 2014 at 16:41

Valid questions.

If it’s with people I know don’t share my beliefs, I usually ask if they’d like to join me. Never had any refuse. If it was with you specifically, I’d ask you to join me…but I must admit it’s in part just because it would be fun to say I held hands with Richard of FTA, because for me that’s a big part of giving thanks. That’s how I do it. 🙂 And if I was ever refused, I’d just say hang on a second then, bow my head, and have that little ritual by myself. And that’s what it is, a ritual. I do it ritualistically for a reason, and that would be fun to talk about sometime. Maybe in person next time I’m out in the Norcal area. (Just got back from Napa…shoulda found you!)

I strive to never be rude to anyone in general, much less anyone I’ve chosen to dine with. I’m not going to make out at the table, but an occasional peck on the lips is something my wife and I do pretty regularly. If I could tell it made someone uncomfortable I’d be less obvious and just hold hands.

All of this applies to people at the table with me. I don’t give a second thought to the rest of the restaurant. I don’t do it for them or in spite of them, nor do I stop because of them.

And sometimes I forget. My favorite moment ever was when my atheist friend reminded me before I dug into some sushi. When your atheist friends remind you to say grace, you have awesome friends. He’s a pretty spectacular individual, and we can each value the other’s position FOR THEM, without holding it as our own.

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2014 at 17:49

I’d remind you to say grace, Bill.

What matters to me is if such rituals do something for folks, they’re showing off, trying to shame you, etc.

• Bill Strahan on February 8, 2014 at 21:18

And that seals it. Next time I’m anywhere close to Norcal I’m tracking you down. You know what your appeal is? You’re a thinker. I try to surround myself with them, but there are precious few.

It’s why you discover things that work but aren’t mainstream. It’s why you experiment. And it’s the source of your appeal, even for those who can’t understand why they keep coming back. You fucking think.

Nothing more fun than a handful of thinkers spending time together. Weak minds surround themselves with agreement, but thinkers enjoy the thoughts that are born from good-willed disagreement.

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2014 at 21:50

Can you fly out to Prague and bring Sean?

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2014 at 22:12

BIll, I have a few Facebook friends from child and kid times. All my actual 30-40 FB friends are people I know IRL. A few of them thank Jesus for almost everything, and tolerate me too. I’ve known them for all my life. I know their hearts.

This is why I say that Anarchy Begins at Home,

• Bill Strahan on February 8, 2014 at 22:52

Prague…not in any plane I fly. 🙂

But we enjoy Norcal. Wife loves a visit to San Francisco, so this needs to happen. I still want to hear your favorite parts of Fly Fast, Sin Boldly. And if by some weird circumstance you find yourself out in Texas, holler. Dunno if we’ll go to the Xfit games this year, but if we do that’s the soonest I’ll be back in CA.

10. La Frite on February 7, 2014 at 04:42

I eat green bananas regularly (as often as I can find them because food stores will select them a little ripened for quick sell). I tend to agree with Richard, when too sweet, they seem a little off to me.

I happened once on a VERY green bunch of bananas, never ate something like that before: all my saliva was nuked by it and swallowing chunks of it required a LOT of chewing lest you would choke. There was no sweetness whatsoever. I gave one to my wife and spat out the first bite … she thought I was crazy to eat the whole thing. The greenness lasted for days, even though I left them on the kitchen counter top (I thought a little ripening would do them some good …).

11. EF on February 7, 2014 at 07:56

Try sprinkling some salt on the green banana. Tasty.

12. Another Jen on February 7, 2014 at 09:33

That video is blowing my mind! I’m a believer now. If only I’d known I wouldn’t have wasted all that time staying up late reading Dawkins.

Seriously, that is the hardest I’ve laughed in several days especially since I spend most of my time binging out on your resistant starch posts (I only learned about this a few weeks ago). My house is a mess, thanks for that! And thanks for the endorphin rush (endorphins – clearly just another part of God’s perfect plan)!

13. Mark on February 7, 2014 at 11:01

“Cut off both ends, slice lengthwise through the peel, disrobe. …No, the banana, silly!” Haha. And to think Sean said you aren’t clever! 😉

14. rs711 on February 7, 2014 at 11:31

“Dog”

Ha! LOVE it

15. Bill Strahan on February 7, 2014 at 12:09

I’ve been so swamped lately, I’ve been dang near silent. But this one drags me out because I have a brain that makes silly connections and devotes a LOT of neurons to remember jokes for all occasions.

Here’s the joke for your calling God a Dog. 🙂 Enjoy:

“Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac? Yeah, poor guy stayed up all night pondering the existence of Dog.”

Bwahahaha.

16. Michael Holmes on February 7, 2014 at 13:05

You don’t cook and cool the green plantain, do you? Just raw?

17. Annika on February 7, 2014 at 14:15

How about freezing green bananas – does that reduce the RS? There has been some speculation on this topic here at FTA (Tim said “Freezing raw bananas, not sure what happens–probably destroys RS.”). Are there any new opinions or info on what freezing green bananas does to the RS content?

• Annika on February 8, 2014 at 09:20

A different perspective on freezing green bananas from Tim: “Freezing bananas will not hurt the RS, it will increase it.” This quote is from September; the one above is from December. Tim, did you learn something new since September that changed your mind about freezing bananas?

Google was no help on this topic. I found plenty about freeze-drying bananas, but nothing about how plain ol’ freezing affects resistant starch.

• Jackie on February 9, 2014 at 08:34

I’d be surprised if freezing was good. I freeze bananas whole and when thawed, they come out soupy (great for banana bread recipes or smoothies). This mimics overripeness in a way that suggests it would not be beneficial for RS purposes.

18. Ann on February 7, 2014 at 23:06

For anyone making their own plaintain or green banana chips, any tips on how best to do it? How thick are you slicing? Richard says a whole green banana is 10-30 grams of RS – is that true of the plantain as well?

• Annika on February 9, 2014 at 09:18

Tim has said a green plantain contains around 100 grams of RS, but more recently he said they contain 30-50 grams. I don’t think it’s an exact science and certainly depends on size and ripeness.

I made plantain chips by slicing a plantain very thin and laying the slices on a wire rack for several days on my kitchen counter. My house is around 60° and quite dry in the winter. I didn’t use a fan or any heat, and they dried just fine. The chips are very boring tasting, like a saltine, but don’t have the astringency of a fresh plantain.

• Ann on February 9, 2014 at 10:26

Annika – thanks. I did similar using my dehydrator. Yes, they are boring. I’m going to pop them in my Vitamix and grind them into flour, and add them to smoothies. I suppose you could also use them like crackers for nut butter or vegetable spreads, but I really find them kind of dry and tasteless.

I was surprised to find them so expensive – $1.29 per pound her in WA state. I remember paying around $.79 a pound last year when I bought them for frying. I rarely find them in regular groceries anymore, and it makes me wonder if the Asian markets are being pillaged of their plaintains in recent months…

19. Jackie on February 8, 2014 at 15:46

A little anecdotal feedback, not sure what any of it means.

I’ve been doing 4T raw potato starch every morning since January 1. Also adjusted my diet, took out all the crap and eating weighed and measured portions of whole foods (e.g. 4 oz protein, 8 oz potato, 2 cups veg for lunch and dinner). I have gained about 7lb since January 1, and am a bit unsure how to adjust. I love the quality of sleep on raw potato starch, but I am in not in a position to gain weight.

Yesterday and today I did not take any resistant starch, just to see how my sleep would be this weekend. Today, I’ve had unusual gastric pains (very, very rarely get them). Maybe my gut is crying out for its potato starch.

Like I said, no idea what this means, but thought I would throw it out there. I really appreciate the work you and Tim do on this topic and how you help people. Thanks!

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2014 at 17:11

Jakie, I assume weighing and measuring means you eat it all?

Do you leave food on your plate if you’re sated? Do you skip a meal if not particularly hungry?

I think the whole gut biome feeding puts flexible intermittent fasting back on the map in a big way.

• Jackie on February 8, 2014 at 19:18

If I’m not hungry, I don’t eat. I skip meals. But what I meant is that I start out with weighed and measured portions, so I know the issue isn’t me overestimating my portions by eyeballing it.

I’ve read a lot of what Sisson and others have said about how IF may not be beneficial for women. I’m not a scientist, amateur or otherwise, so I really am just putting this out there for what it’s worth. I’d noticed a slight gain a few weeks ago and was so discouraged that I didn’t get back on the scale until now, hoping it was a time of the month thing. Just re-evaluating and wondering where to take my self-experimenting next. (I lost a lot of weight over 10 years, and what worked for me then was to alternate starchy days and protein-heavy days – not much mixing of the two. A few years ago, I lost about 20 pounds with a mix of balanced meals containing both starches and protein. So just a bit unsure where to go next and frankly a little scared. I’m 36, so not a spring chicken – maybe it’s just going to be much harder for me to keep losing at this age.)

• Q on February 8, 2014 at 20:21

Jackie, I started my RS experiment with 2T of tapioca at night mixed with a scoop of Primal Defense. Immediately I comfortably lost all appetite until afternoon the next day (not that weight loss is an issue for me, nor is poop, which I have always done every morning.) BUT when I added in 2T PS, I quickly gained 8 pounds and would wake up with “panic” hypoglycemic symptoms. I can only surmise that for some reason I was digesting the PS like quick starch/sugar or something. Don’t know. I did always have problems eating potato/sweet potato, but heard the starch was different. Anyway, I’m going back to just the tapioca.

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2014 at 20:28

Ok, Jackie and Q here’s my deal.

If one eats real food predominately, only eats when hungry, avoids snacking and drinking sugar calories, feels free to skip any meal any time, doesn’t particularly eat to a clock AND takes care of the gut in the way that works.

I don’t give a fuck what their weight is.

I’m certain of this: nobody, given the above, is getting obese.

• Q on February 8, 2014 at 21:46

Hi Richard, I hear you. You’ve always said, “whatever works for you.” And for me, I don’t give a fuck about weight either. BUT when I was younger, I did. Because I was PERSECUTED in highschool for being heavy. Guys would actually drive by me as I walked home to tell me how ‘ugly’ I was! But then, when I went anorexic in Senior year, the VERY SAME guys were all over me. (Doh! Serious mind fuck!)

I would like to see actual discussion about the REALITY of this. Maybe it’s not your forum, but I think most guys are full of shit. I sit regularly at an all male poker game and the guys there are successful, rich AND mostly fat as fuck, but still they talk about how they hate fat chicks and are after younger babes! Whatever, I get it, but I’d like to see men just fucking own it.

*Of course, for fucks sake I am not talking about ALL men, but I think a majority.

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2014 at 22:54

Hmmmm, I feel the righteous rebuke, Q, and I get it.

The problem is this conflates the mind and body.

Just accept the fact the no matter how gross, fat, ugly the man, if he has the bucks, he can fuck the hottest women on earth. Given, no need to to wring hands. Has always been, will always be. Baked into the cake of the eternal antagonism,.

I once very long ago set out to duplicate a hot woman because we went separate ways and I had hubris about it. Many, many women later, that rivaled and even exceeded her physical island brown skin hotness, I realized that I was really after her mind and that was impossible to duplicate.

Have a good, sexy mind, keep your bod reasonable.

Never ever entertain a man who is not trying to appreciate your sexual mind and fire your synapses in such a way that you may need to change panties. And I’m not talking about in bed. I’m talking about anywhere.

• Q on February 8, 2014 at 23:26

Richard, Not to boast, but I have a fucking 1% mind. I was an ASFAB and FBI recruit. In my life, minds haven’t really mattered that much to men. Men are intrigued by me, but seem to like tits and shit more.

• Richard Nikoley on February 8, 2014 at 23:30

Q: a man, whether friend, friend with benefits, lover, shack up or husband ought to be able to love to hear about your most intimate deep fantasies and encourage them.

Anyone else is not a self confidant man, in my view. He’s afraid of the awesome power of women.

A man that does not embrace and celebrate that power is just a jerkoff, and he’s probably afraid of having his woman watch him do it,

• Q on February 9, 2014 at 00:24

I find that most men prefer an ‘easy’ women. I don’t mean that sexually, I mean intellectually, emotionally, psychologically, etc. I’m not ‘difficult.’ But I’m smart. I require a certain engagement. There is no doubt, in my experience, that men prefer a hot malleable babe over a smart, successful women. Of course there are exceptions. Please, send them my way.

• Jackie on February 9, 2014 at 08:28

The men who are intimidated by you are not men who matter.

• Jackie on February 9, 2014 at 08:31

Thanks. This can be harder for those of us with a history of disordered eating. The control issues around food are such that giving oneself leeway to skip meals, adjust portions, etc can open up some dangerous cans of worms. It’s nobody’s fault, and it’s a problem centered in the mind. Will keep trying to nail this. Thanks again.

20. Mark on February 9, 2014 at 13:06

I think I’m going to try some green BANANA chips….No reason to not try those.

21. Pone on February 15, 2014 at 16:06

How important is it here to dry the plantain and grind that to get resistant starch? Why not just use the green plantain directly in pancake or bread recipes? Do we lose any starch by doing that?

Is there any process we could go through to get rid of the sugars / fructose in the starch? I am guessing that we could dry the banana slices, then grind them to create a powder. Then put the powder into water for a few hours. Then pour the immersed powder into a nut milk bag and strain out all the liquid. Dry what remains and you ought to have more of a pure starch. But do we lose anything in the process?

And – comment – that’s a lot of work to get something that is not really better than potato starch.

• Richard Nikoley on February 15, 2014 at 16:35

Pone:

Do you actually go back and read other posts, maybe hit your find to look for stuff in comments. I’ve even put in blog posts themselves.

Let me ask you, why would you think you need to dry green plantains to access the RS, rather than it simply being a delivery mechanism, and I’ve talked about eating green bananas?

C’mon, man. What if every single commenter posted a question about every little thing? Use a little common sense. Green plain tans are pretty unpalatable, that’ s why the drying. If you want to eat ’em, fine. I’ve said many times putting them in a smoothie might work. For me, I like green bananas, either eaten fresh peeled, of in a smoothie.

Now let some other folks get a word in edgewise. 🙂

• Pone on February 15, 2014 at 16:58

Your compadre Tatertot posted a link to the study that showed resistant starch levels in bananas and potato starch. The protocol of the researchers in that study was to freeze dry the bananas and then powderize them. I looked online and saw several people suggesting the same thing. So, that’s why I would think that you might need to dry green plantains.

So, my question is does all that work actually buy us anything chemically, over just eating the raw green plantain? It’s actually a very relevant question, because in the case of potato eating the potato is not at all the same as eating the starch. There is a process by which the starch alone can be extracted, and I’m just trying to find the analog of that for banana? What’s unreasonable about that question?

And, by the way, green plantain tastes great as a substitute for flour in pancakes. It makes an absolutely awesome pancake.

And I guess if you don’t want me to post as often that means I cannot respond (too quickly anyway) to the six questions BrazilBrad sent me in another thread. Okay.

22. DuckDodgers on February 24, 2014 at 16:49

Looks like the company met their goal and Green Banana Flour is now available online.

23. Ellen on April 2, 2014 at 11:33

Yeah, I am awaiting mine too. Was very upset to see what Coach had posted. I hope you are correct Annika. I guess the best way to check is to see if it sinks like the potato starch.

• Ellen on April 5, 2014 at 14:12

Thanks for clearing that up for me Gabriella.

Did you see my post that my dental hygienist verified that i had way less calculus and was so impressed she took notes when I told her about resisitant starch?

I have been making polenta with some heritage corn that my husband grew to feed the chickens. I may learn to make tortillas out of it.

• gabriella kadar on April 5, 2014 at 10:42

Ellen, neither banana nor plantain flours will sink. They are not pure starch. However, because they also contain minerals and other goodies, they are good additions to a smoothie. Potato starch is just starch, no minerals, nothing else.

When I sautee plantain, it’s ‘starchy enough’. Depends on what a person wants.

Even cooked whole beans have resistant starch because if the skin is intact, the inner part of the bean will still have RS. Just do some glucose curves with cooked whole beans and find out how they don’t do very much in regards to glucose response. I’ve decided to go with beans and drop the rice. I was never much of a rice eater anyway, so why bother?

Whether it’s ‘kosher’ or not, I’m also eating corn tortillas. These things do even less to glucose for some reason. I’ve been testing. I know PHD doesn’t include corn, but, meh, PHD is not my god. Everyone needs to think for themselves. I’m not a food phobic. And I haven’t got the foggiest if the corn tortillas are GMO or pure (bullshit). I’ve gotten to like them and if I’m not eating gluten, then I want something that’s not faux.

• DuckDodgers on April 5, 2014 at 11:53

You’re not that much of a rebel. Corn on the cob is considered to be a “minor transgression” on PHD. Some caution may be warranted on mass-produced corn products, but a true ancestral preparation of corn is pretty darn good if you can find it.

At the end of the day, it’s probably just trading one toxin for another. I agree, it’s all meh at this point.

• gabriella kadar on April 5, 2014 at 14:36

Ellen, reducing inflammation is reducing inflammation. The mouth is just the front end of the tube that ends at the anus. Everything shows inflammation when it’s inflamed. Tongue, gums, you name it. The tongue is actually a great indicator of various problems. TCM has it right. Some years ago I borrowed an atlas of the tongue from a TCM practitioner. So complicated I would have had to study it for a long time. But I did learn a few things. You should see the patient’s face when I look in their mouth and ask ‘have you had diarrhoea recently?’

• Richard Nikoley on April 5, 2014 at 14:39

There’s perhaps a lot to relearn.

Back when I was in college I had a GF and her mom was an MD trained in the PI. She worked at a State mental hospital. But, she used to tell me she could tell a lot by smelling urine and feces.

I dismissed it at the time, but now I’m not so sure.

24. Coach Hanson on April 2, 2014 at 07:20

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but we recently tried the WEDO Banana flour with many of our clients and saw poor response in glucose. Upon further inquiry it turns out the product is dried starting at over 500 degrees F. So essentially no RS left. Super bummed about that.

• Ellen on April 2, 2014 at 15:49

Yes, that makes sense as a way to test for blood sugar regulation. Especially since there are probably a subset of people for whom greens bananas have no effect.

But would you expect the g banana flour to behave in water like potato starch if it was simply dehydrated. Would that indicate the presence or absence of RS. Or does that test just not apply to dried bananas?

By the way I just heard from them that they packed up the Kickstarter flour last night so we should have it by early next week.

• Annika on April 2, 2014 at 09:33

I asked WEDO directly and got this reply: “the bananas are dehydrated with a rotating, tumbling dryer. They are dried at approx 140 degrees.” Where did you hear it was dried at 500°?

I supported their Kickstarter and am expecting to get some banana flour from them soon.

• Richard Nikoley on April 2, 2014 at 15:07

Thanks Annika. Hopefully, that’s correct.

Of course, the only way to test for sure would be to calculate the moisture content of a very green banana, so as to know how many grams of it equal 4 TBS of the banana flour, which has no moisture. Then measure BG under same conditions. One, then the other.

• Lauren on April 2, 2014 at 16:23

I use Mt Uncles green banana flour (http://www.bananaflour.com.au/) which is definitely a high-quality product with RS. It does NOT behave like potato starch in water; I do not think the sink-to-the-bottom, non-Newtonian fluid test is applicable. Grace/Dr BG often talks about the use of PS and banana flour together, to make ‘bionic RS.’

• TommyB on June 11, 2014 at 11:58

I’ve been conducting my own n=1 with potato starch and SBOs with positive results. I’m also adding green banana flour and inulin FOS to smoothies along the lines of Richard’s recipe.

I bought two kinds of green banana flour on amazon: Wedo and Nutryvitta. Based on the information that Wedo dries their green bananas at 140 degrees and Richard’s assertion that RS ‘pops’ at 140, I decided to contact Nutryvitta to inquire about the details of their processing.

This is the response I received:
      —————————————–
      Thank you for you inquiry. We are glad that you enjoy our banana flour!!

To make the banana flour first we manually take out the skin and then put the bananas to dry at temperatures between 80 and 110 F. This process is very slow to make sure we can keep all the nutrients especially the resistant starch. Normally takes 2 to 3 days to dried before the bananas are crushed into powder.
      —————————————–

• Richard Nikoley on June 12, 2014 at 08:30

Nice going, Tommy. Impressed they know about the RS.

25. Madeleine on April 2, 2014 at 14:59

I’m missing something important, but I can’t figure out what. If whole green bananas are 50% RS by weight, how can dehydrated green bananas as flour be only 35 – 68% RS by weight?

26. Jessie on April 4, 2014 at 08:10

Does it mean more unripe banana = more RS? I just tried a green banana from the tree, literally have to slice off the skin and it leaves a chalky taste. Would eating 2 – 3 such green bananas a day get sufficient RS or would you recommend mixing with other sources like potato starch and rice? Thanks!

27. Madeleine on April 5, 2014 at 06:24

My experiment with dehydrating green plantains and green bananas:

4.5lb plantains yields 2.7lb peeled, yields 1lb flour (22% yield), measuring about 3 1/2 cups

6.6lb bananas yields 3.9lb peeled, yields 1 lb flour (15% yield) measuring about 2 1/3 cups

The plantains cost me $3 for 6; the bananas cost me $3 for 6 pounds.

The plantain flour cost me $3.20/lb. The banana flour cost me $3.10/lb.

The plantain tastes like starch. The banana tastes intensely of banana.

28. Adriana on May 7, 2014 at 12:03

I found another source for green banana. In the freezer section at one of my local Atlanta latino tiendas they carry frozen “Green Banana Dough”. It is basically finely grated raw green bananas for $4.99 for a 3# package. I tried a spoonful straight and it triggered an immediate gag reflex. When I stirred it into half a glass of water it went down fine.

29. Anonymous on July 26, 2014 at 08:49

[…] mir CFS zu tun haben, z.B. Resistant Starch: Your Questions Answered | Mark's Daily Apple oder Green Bananas as a High Source of Resistant Starch | Free The Animal die ebensolche gute und interessante Erfahrungen mit RS+Prebiotika machen. Im RS-Thread im PR sind […]

30. DreamyBabe on September 12, 2014 at 15:03

Hey! Just dehydrate at 135 degrees in a dehydrator. Then put in a BlendTec. Ground to a powder and sift! “Walla”! Plantain flour! Does not clump. Dissolves nicely. Add to soup for extra creaminess.

31. DreamyBabe on September 12, 2014 at 15:07

I’m going to try it as tooth paste since they say banana can whiten teeth. Can hurt!

32. […] Kochbanane grün, dadurch reich an resistenter Stärke […]

33. concerned9erfan on September 12, 2015 at 03:11

Hi Richard, would you mind telling me what percentage a totally green “unripe” banana has of resistant starch? Also, how many net carbs would you estimate for a normal size green banana?

It’s kind of important I know how many carbs I am ingesting and whether I can eat the whole green bananna – I’m on a strict ketogenic diet and only get a certain amount of carbs per day.

34. Anita on November 21, 2016 at 18:58

Question regarding breaking down the foods;

– if you puree a green banana (ie smoothie) does it reduce or ruin the RS?

-how long does rice/potato/beans need to cool for in order to make good levels of RS? (i’ve just popped them in fridge and waited till cool to the touch, is this enough?)

-your RS list shows foods and then some have “cooked/cooled” next to them. Are all foods on this list generally shown as “when cooked” or in their raw state?

Cheers!

35. Julie on August 7, 2017 at 17:30

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I am new to this and only just today learned about resistant starch (crazy I know). Anyway the whole cooked and cooled thing, does that mean it has to be eaten cold or if it’s cooked and then cooled and then heated back up later it will still be good? Just not living the idea of cold potato. Thanks!

• Richard Nikoley on August 8, 2017 at 16:26

Yep, reheating after cooling in fridge at least overnight is supposed to actually increase the amount of RS. I wouldn’t go crazy and I wouldn’t use a microwave, since microwave acts on water molecules so i think it’s unpredictable what it may do to the RS structures.