Just Look at the Pictures. Big Agra, Corporate Profits, and Grant Whore Collusion

I’m not beyond putting up a post that simply links to someone else’s work that’s so dramatic everyone needs to go take a look right now.

KRIS GUNNARS: These 11 Charts Show Everything That’s Wrong With The Modern Diet.

You literally don’t even have to read a word, beyond the x-y indices and chart titles.

Do it now.

1. Los on February 12, 2014 at 11:06

This shows a lot similar data but going back to 1909.

you may want to download the pdf and then open it in a pdf viewer to clearly see the text and charts.

The charts start on page 15

Clearly a lot of the vegetable cooking oils are a problem but also Figure 41 the increase in iron.

2. Ulfric Douglas on February 12, 2014 at 09:31

Diagram 2 shows a fairly straight line for “Consumption of Milk in the USA”.
    If their modern milk is anything like our modern British pasteurised and homogenised low-fat white water the graph should really show a plummed to almost zero. Just because it says “Milk” on the bottle doesn’t mean its still really Milk.

3. Chris on February 12, 2014 at 10:47

The problem is that there seems to have been an intersection of several forces in our society that are causing all of this:

1. Profit-hungry corporations that well, love to sell cheap crap with about 30-40 ingredients in their “food”. Problem is that the highly subsidized crops are the cheapest and they can be made to taste addictive with the use of synthetics, so they collaborate.

2. Nutritionists which are very misguided in their efforts to get people to avoid saturated fats. Some of these nutritionists also happen to be on the payroll of the food industry. Various “health organizations” seem to also fall under this category.

3. Failed government policy, also corrupted by the food industry, but also be nutritionists. Subsidizing soybean, wheat, and corn. I agree that society needs to provide affordable food, but it’s got to be good food, not junk.

4. Increasingly it would seem a pharmaceutical, along with a diet/health/fitness industry as the inevitable health consequences of the flawed diet has it’s effect on society. They promise to the public painless, instant solutions to complex problems largely self inflicted by the food industry. Naturally, with a public with a short attention span, it proves very effective.

5. A very gullible public. A failure to think critically, to inquire, to be skeptical.

In short, the food system is really, really messed up.

I mean, all you have to do is to step into a modern supermarket and look at what people put in their carts. It’s not a pretty sight at all.

4. Eric R on February 12, 2014 at 11:28

#10, whoah.

• Paul on February 12, 2014 at 14:11

Yeah, that one is very disturbing.

5. Harriet on February 12, 2014 at 15:33

Just a question. Is it difficult in the US to find basic meat, fruit and vegetables in their natural form in local shops? Here in Western Australia its reasonably readily available. Of course so too is all the processed stuff but if you want to you can get proper food too. We can also buy non-grain fed meat (lamb and beef) for six or so months a year. From late December to about May the animals are hard fed because of lack of grass (little rain), so I buy meat June to early Dec to have it grass fed.

6. Eric R on February 12, 2014 at 16:36

Harriet: no, it’s not hard. Normal grocery stores don’t carry grass-fed stuff much, but at least in my area I could have grass-fed/pastured meat, organic produce and raw dairy basically delivered to my door if I wanted to.

7. Remnant on February 12, 2014 at 19:15

Richard, regarding the third chart, don’t you know that calories don’t count?

On a serious note, really stunning tables.

• Richard Nikoley on February 12, 2014 at 21:20

You talking about the one where average cal is up by 400 daily? I thought it was 300. Anyway, if you saw Fat Head, remember when Tom (just got an email from him today, his RS experiment going well, reports crazy dreams) interviewed that one obesity guy who said that the entire obesity epidemic at large can be explained by the increase in sugar water consumption?

Always stuck with me. I have thought for a long time that if America did one thing, to only drink water, coffee to tea, unsweetened, in 10 years there would be no big problem. I think sugar is the biggest culprit. Too easy to get WAY energy with zero satiation.

• John on February 13, 2014 at 13:53

Absolutely drinking calories, particularly sugar, is weight problem #1. When people ask me for weight advice I say “don’t drink calories, don’t snack” and 9/10 times the response is “I couldn’t give up (insert liquid sugar item here).”

• Richard Nikoley on February 13, 2014 at 15:48

John, tell them to develop a taste for Kombucha. A little sugar, but probiotic, too.

• gabriella kadar on February 13, 2014 at 16:17

Richard, unlike the medical students, we got an entire year of nutrition. Back in those days we were taught that sugar is a bad thing. It displaces nutrients if a person is consuming an isocaloric diet. Not to mention, it encourages bacterial growth on teeth and causes tooth decay…. Then sometime around 1994-5 all of a sudden sugar became a valid nutrient. Waaaaah???????????

The results? Entirely predictable.

• Richard Nikoley on February 13, 2014 at 20:13

It’s quite simple. Offer grant whore a million to produce a study that sugar isn’t so bad.

It’s like magic.

To cover the back door, plenty of ad dollars for the media that’s going to publish. Easy, if you got the bucks.

What the commies don’t understand is that this is a problem of big business, when big business is a function of the state.

8. John on February 13, 2014 at 06:50

That’s some excellent work by Kris Gunnars. Personally, I thought it was great to see the phrase “Heart Healthy Butter” in a nutrition article.

I think one thing that the article shows is that all these things are interrelated. For example, if the increase in calories was being fueled by an increase in egg consumption, for example, obesity might still be a problem, but diabetes and heart disease might not have increased. Then again, the increase in calories probably wouldn’t be driven by eggs due to their self limiting nature, unless we suddenly decided to become a nation of bodybuilders.

While I do think sugar is a huge problem (even the 35 kg consumed in 1909 was excessive), I think the omega six fats are an even greater problem, and may be the main driver in this. It’s consumption seems to track more directly with obesity than sugar, and when you think about the two, sugar is a natural carbohydate in an unnatural form, while omega six and trans fats are unnatural fats served in an unnatural form.